A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

DO NOT be dumb like me.........stupid, stupid,stupid - smeeps

Posted: Jan 20, 2011

I had it all. The job I wanted through SOAP Transcription. One little thing got me fired and I don't want it to happen to any of you regardless if you're new or a veteran of the field. Most of us at home workers, with whomever we work for, have rules about the internet. That being said, I was towards the end of my shift last Sunday, and wanted to check the score of a football game. I figured it was only once, what could it hurt. Well, now I know, all too painfully.  I wasn't even given a second chance...nothing. Automatic termination. I sent back my computer today.  Yes it was stupid and everyone is entitled to berate me if you feel it necessary.  The company is awesome to work for and they like hiring newbies. Their website says they aren't hiring, but it said that when I sent in my resume and I got hired.  I lost out on a good thing...Off to pound the internet pavement looking again.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. - Hugs!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

My opinion - BonyFingers

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are producing what you are supposed to and not doing anything smutty, unless their policy said absdolutely no googling, etc., I think it is ridiculous to fire a good transcriptionist for something so petty.

We are not in kindergarten. We are grownups. It would royally piss me off if it happened to me.

was within lph range for targeted time range - smeeps

[ In Reply To ..]
quality was good as well.

sorry - vera

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry that happened to you. Forgive me for asking, but how can you get fired for checking the score of a football game? My employer doesn't have rules about the internet, but if a person spends a great deal of time goofing off, they will probably not get the required lines. It seems kind of strict to fire someone for checking a football score. Again, I'm sorry this happened to you and I hope you find a place to work that is even better than SOAP Transcription.

I would guess company has rules about using work PC - for personal use, and football games are personal

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You're Right.....They did....nvr thought 1 time would hurt.I learned - smeeps

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

So sorry that happened to you - Rejected by SOAP

[ In Reply To ..]
I applied to them. It took them a couple weeks before they got back to me. Then they got my hopes up asking me all kinds of questions about my school, if they were AHDI approved (They are first on that list).. etc. Then after keeping me hanging waiting hopeful after being out of work for over a year and needing a job BADLY.. she wrote and told me "they were going in a different direction and good luck with all my endeavors." I am new and was under the impression they'd give a newbie a chance. I cried all afternoon after that. I still am out of work, almost lost my house, still may...and can't find a job. I'd give ANYTHING just to work!!!!

I am sorry as well. A final warning would have been nice. - That does stink. Hugs for you. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You are not dumb smeeps! - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry this happened to you. I don't use a company computer but my question is how did they know you did that? Are all company computers monitored?

Hit the pavement girl, and you'll find something better!

Monthly computer updates;always have access;cookie - smeeps

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

DO NOT be dumb like me........ - sc

[ In Reply To ..]
No Internet at all? Does that mean you can't use Google to look up words and terms? I'd be lost without that.

I agree with the final warning - catherine0621

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree about the final warning. It's not the CIA, damn. Everyone should get one warning. I am not familiar with this type of thing since I always use my own computers. When I was working on site, though, we could not even GET to the internet if we wanted too.

Smeeps - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Please don't beat yourself up. It will not serve you. You made a mistake (we all do, that's how we learn) and, IMHO, you were punished too harshly. During my MTSO days, I would have given a warning since it was a first-time offense. Yes, I believe in rules and expect that people will keep them, but I also believe in compassion. Who among us has not made a mistake or two along the way? I wish you all the best in finding a new (and kinder) job.

PC provided by SOAP... hourly pay while learning - the bandersnatch

[ In Reply To ..]
The company provides the PC at SOAP to maintain HIPAA compliance and keep viruses and such to a minimum. Because they own the PCs, and the MLSs sign contracts regarding HIPAA compliance, they get to call the shots regarding PC usage, and MLSs have to be HIPAA compliant. Its the law these days. SOAP also supplements brand new MLSs up to minimum wage while they are learning, so it really is stealing if you are doing personal things while on the clock. Most every place, in any field of work, would not give you a warning for stealing, or misusing equipment for personal use, and putting the company's safety and security at risk. You'd be fired on the spot.

I have to disagree here - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked in the local school district and at a property/casualty insurance company for years. In both jobs, you weren't technically supposed to use the computers for personal use, but everyone did within reason. None of the jobs my friends, family, or husband have had were ever the kind of job that would fire you without warning for using a computer on the clock. I completely disagree with Bandersnatch's comment that "every place in any field of work" would "fire you on the spot" for what you did. Not at all.

MT jobs, however, are a LOT more strict in this regard. I see office managers and people here on this forum scream at an MT for taking 3 minutes to go do something in another room, even if the MT is IC. When I was an insurance broker, if I took 15 minutes to go get lunch or was stopped in the hall for a quick chat, no one would even THINK of complaining about that.

HIPAA Compliance Monster - the bandersnatch

[ In Reply To ..]

The continual law suits, the medical in general, the government-led healthcare initiatives, and the HIPAA and privacy issues, etc. have put anyone who works in healthcare on a completely different planet than those who work in other areas.
what I said was.... - the bandersnatch
[ In Reply To ..]
"Most every place, in any field of work, would not give you a warning for stealing, or misusing equipment for personal use, and putting the company's safety and security at risk. You'd be fired on the spot." I believe this to be true - this was not only regarding computer usage, but doing anything that puts the company at risk, especially when you contractually agreed NOT to.

smeeps - Frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
That sounds unfair. What if you were Googling to find some terminiology or procedure? Was that allowed? It does not seem fair, and it is possible that they were looking for any excuse to reduce their workforce. Good luck in your search. Do you have your own computer? If not, it might be worth it the investment. Were you allowed to go to the restroom during your shift or take a break? This sounds almost totalitarian.

What!? Of course she has googled before, MTSO knows, and that is - part of the job, so what?! They knew SM

[ In Reply To ..]
she was not doing work related stuff on the computer, just like they could know when she was doing work related stuff. I beleive poster said there was no doubt what she was doing was wrong, she just didnt think she would get caught. Did you not read all the posts? While it is sad meeps is going through this, gotta admire an MTSO who will stick by her expectations and not make exceptions. Cause once 1 exception is made, where does it stop?

It was a company computer - Amy

[ In Reply To ..]
What happened was unfortunate, but one ought not conduct private business on a company computer. Period.
Did you read in the above post? It is saying the - same thing essentially. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
EVERYONE deserves a 2nd chance.... - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
EVERYONE
Then why have rules? You shalt be given a second chance - is not the 11th commandment. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I said my peace-I deserved a 2nd chance-I'm done - smeeps
[ In Reply To ..]
x
You knowingly broke a condition of your contract. And maybe that - isnt the only reason SM
[ In Reply To ..]
they let you go. Said my "peace"???
What were the others?? Why wasn't I told? Why wasn't I given the training I asked for?? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
What were the others? Didja read the above post? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
;P - x
[ In Reply To ..]
x
SM - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
I think she meant to say "piece," but a little peace would be nice, too. :)

Similar Messages:

Can This Stupid Company Find Anything More Stupid To Do?
Aug 29, 2013

Ugh, I never encountered this before.  I have some different accounts.  There is this INANE gender check which kicks out he or she if it is not the patient's gender.  OMG, the dumas people who have nothing better to do and set this up apparently do not realize males may have mothers or girl friends and vice versa.  I'm so sick of wasting my time fixing the worthless things they have set up to make things "easier" for us.  We'd be better off if maybe t ...

Can They Be That Stupid?
Jun 14, 2010

They are chastizing us for making minimum wage "too often;"  can they possibly believe that after we were used to making $40,000+ a year that we have just become lazy and are happy with making minimum wage?  They don't see the irony that a job this difficult and that takes so much training and experience pays us the same as taking orders at Burger King?  I can't even wrap my head around such denseness.  Yeah, keep griping at us for making minimum wage, that ought to ...

Is ASR Getting Stupid.....er?
Oct 22, 2010

On every job I got tonight the doctors say exactly what they said in plain English... but Mr. ASR puts something different or leaves huge chunks out!  Every job!  I'm sitting here like.... really ASR?  Really???  You didn't catch the 6 words before he said "hospital" and he was speaking normal?  Is it just ASR being stupid or is this the MASTER PLAN of MQ? ...

I'm Sorry, This May Be Stupid..
Oct 01, 2011

This is something that has been bothering me. I feel stupid asking, but since it's rather important, I ask.   cpl   Currently, I am making 0.083 per line typed. I see people stating things like 7 cpl or .8 cpl. Does that equate to 7.0 per lined type (seems crazy!) and 0.8 per line typed? I'm currently being offered incentive pay for working on my days off. They stated 0.5 cpl extra per line typed. Since I have to enter my own pay and production, I'm just confused a ...

What's Up With This Stupid
Mar 03, 2014

For the last week or so, every time I try to read a thread on this site, the U-Verse ad throws me to the bottom of the page and back up about a dozen times.  I can't make sense of any of the postings.  I've tried opting out and changing my settings on "Tools," but it keeps coming back.  Help!!!!   ...

I Don't Mean To Be Stupid But
Aug 22, 2014

Did any of you get an email from MModal or your TSM on how to change your company code in Fluency Manager so that it would reflect the new code and allow you access to DEP?  Did your TSM have you check this and check for your expansions before the go live?  I can still access the DEP portion of Fluency and perform searches, see backlog, all the same functions I had before.  No one said anything about restricting our access.  She had us make the changes and test it before the ...

Oh Joy - Just Got NJA - SO STUPID!!
Mar 24, 2015

X ...

This Might Be A Stupid Question But.....
Sep 29, 2010

Is transcribing Acute Care notes that much different than clinical notes?  I currently transcribe for a family practice and gastro docs who do colonoscopies and minor procedures and have typed for oncologists and cardiologists, gyns, ophthalmologists.  Can it really be that much different?  I'm asking because I think I could do it. I am a fairly quick learner and have a good grasp of terminology and worked in a rehab hospital and was exposed to a lot of H&P, discharge sum ...

Feeling Stupid
Apr 05, 2011

Looking at an ad that says "Required skills are transcribing 1000 HIM lines (65 character lines) or 2000 MI lines per day."  Is there anyone who can translate HIM and MI for me?  Pretty sure HIM is standard transcription and thinking MI is somehow related to VR, but I guess I'm just too old school to understand new acronyms! ...

I'm Sure This Is A Really Stupid Question, But...
Jun 09, 2011

Does anybody ever get a raise or do we only get the amount we started at indefinitely?  Just curious.  It seems that the longer we are with a company and doing more work with better quality we would be compensated accordingly.  I'm sure that is not the case, but just wondering and kind of dreaming about maybe getting a different job where you can advance instead of go down in pay!!  Thanks. ...

Probably A Stupid Question
Nov 25, 2011

but I'll ask anyway.   I'm "old school" and think I need to give notice leaving a job, however if I accept a position elsewhere, will Medquist just cut me loose immediately the day or next day after giving notice? ...

Stupid Question About The
Nov 25, 2011

This probably sounds really dumb, but we click the "like" button on a post, is it to like the post or to like the ad choice.  Only reason I ask is on the left of "like" it says "ad choices" w/ an arrow pointing to "like."  Maybe I've had too many leftovers today. ...

For Real? ASR Really So Stupid?
Dec 21, 2011

pain foraminal valley?  Really?  After 5+ years?  deep PAIN thrombosis?  Paradoxical ambulance (embolus) Drives me absolutely nuts.  Wasn't all of this stuff supposed to be LEARNED sometime in the last decade? DocQScribe 8 of whatever is their only concern????? ...

Probably A Stupid Question, But (sm)
Jul 02, 2012

My inactive time is HUGE. I just came over from another company that was pretty bad about training. I learned DQS on my own without any help whatsoever. Are we supposed to clock out each and every time we leave the computer for more than a few seconds? I'm talking about running to the bathroom and getting a drink or answering the phone. I can't imagine what else is making all this inactive time for me, and I honestly have no idea if I'm supposed to be clocking out each and ev ...

OB/GYN (maybe Stupid) Question - Sm
Dec 05, 2012

"The patient is a 23-year-old female, gravida 4, para 3, AB 1...". Is "AB" abbreviation for "abortus" or "abortion" here?   I feel like I should know this but have slow brain syndrome right now.   Thanks in advance:) ...

Considerate Or Just Stupid? LOL!
Dec 06, 2013

I'm sort of new to this "work pool" thing where the work is shared amoung several MTs. I understand that we all need to make a buck.... as much bucks as possible, actually.  I also understand that sometimes the  work load is slim-pickin's.  When that's the case, and I know that there's a lull, I do try to be considerate and not take ALL the work that's in there.   For instance, if I see there are only say 10 or 15 jobs in a queue and there is another ...

Curious On These Stupid CC's
Jan 06, 2014

Do you all look up addresses for those CC's not in the database and create new entries? I usually leave the name and that is it ...

Might Be A Stupid Question
Apr 14, 2014

But when you wanna finally tell MModal bye-bye, who do ya tell, Human Resources on the website or your TSM?  ...

Another Stupid Question
Nov 16, 2014

I think I missed an email or something. Did anyone else get the memo on the age calculator and changing ages? I never even heard of an age calculator, someone enlighten me please. I guess I missed something in their daily deluge of useless emails? ...

Stupid Me, Does Anyone Have A Link To
Apr 19, 2015

I tried an internet search but did not come up with much of anything. I would appreciate it.  I'd like to see what they have to offer compared to a local school with an RHIM degree. ...

Omg These Stupid Games Really?
May 18, 2015

don't you torture us enough on a daily basis now we have to jump through hoops to TRY to win a gift card??? seriously??? ...

How Stupid Does MQ Think We Are. Out Team Got An Email
Jun 23, 2011

stating too many reports being sent in with blanks.  Need to send these to QA/MME/whatever they're called now.  Why would we do this and get paid even less for the most horrible dictators, the worst sound quality, nothing in repository to help, being in the cesspool, yadda, yadda, yadda.  This is just so laughable that they'd send this knowing we'll get paid less for sending these reports to QA.  Not me!! ...

Can Anyone Please Explain WHY MQ Has Stupid Incentives
Oct 09, 2010

and offering OT on weekends when there is not enough work as it is.  As per usual during an incentive (I work FT and work Saturday), half way thru my shift I get NJA.  ***  On these stupid incentives, I just pray that I can even get my hours in much less any freaking OT. I know this is a redundant saying but......THIS COMPANY MAKES NO LOGICAL SENSE!!  All the supervisors/managers/whoever who make these decisions all RIDICULOUS........... ...

Stupid Incentive, My Own Work Is Gone.
Sep 29, 2011

Great idea.  I work second shift.  I always have enough of my own work.  We were not behind when I worked yesterday.  Now I log on and I have strange accounts, meaning my production will suck, just so someone could race after what, $5 extra dollars on their paycheck? MQ really knows how to work us. Please, Please God, let this be the day I get a call on a job.  Don't think I can take one more day here without losing my sanity! :( ...

Most Stupid Transcriptionist In The World
Apr 02, 2012

Hello everybody I just got news that I failed my test with Precyse Solutions. I always seem to fail tests yet I have been a transcriptionist for nearly 20 years. I did have to leave two blanks because I just could not make out what one of the dicators was saying. I think I am just too stupid or something to pass a test anymore. I really need to leave my current company because it is afternoons plus they switched my schedule on me as far as the days I have to work. They told me at the time ...

Cant Get To Meeting, Because The Stupid Email
Apr 17, 2013

Cant even get it to open up. Gotta Love Ipswich.   Our lovely present for being such good lil MTs. ...

Really Stupid Fiesa Error
Aug 02, 2013

Today I had to dispute a ridiculous 0.25 point deduction. I typed "with complaint of." This was corrected to "complaining of." Seriously? How does this affect patient care or document integrity???? ...

With This Stupid New NJA Policy, What On Earth Are
Aug 23, 2013

we supposed to do at holidays when there is No Work and No Work to make up later that day or even that week?!?! ...

I HATE THIS STUPID COMPANY
Nov 10, 2013

I finally had got enough 100% post-audits to overcome the critical error that I had the first week of October to bring myself up over 99% and they found 2 critical errors in 1 report that brought me back down to 98%.  Of those 2 critical errors, 1 was a typo where I put an L with a number and would not have affected patient care so they could have marked it down, and the other was honestly a critical error that I swear I remember listening to several times to make sure I wasn't ge ...

Stupid Call On Quality
Dec 20, 2013

Ohhhh brother! stupid meeting for quality, the comment was made by an MT that docs do not give information for ADT or quality of dictation like from cars, etc.  the quality guru says they will approach the doctors about quality of dictation, but since our quality is not good right now then they can't exactly approach the doctors about this right now.  Thats such BS, MModal is so scared to lose any accounts they let doctors dictate from soup cans.  ...