A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What happens when it's the doctor's mistake? - Former Spheris MT

Posted: Jun 18, 2010

I am a former Spheris MT, now begrudgingly a MQ MT (not that Spheris was all that great either).  As was pointed out below, we are still on Spheris rules for the most part but I don't expect that to last forever.  At Spheris, if we think a doctor has made a mistake, we are encouraged to flag it but that entails putting in a blank, just as if we didn't understand the dictator.  If we have too many blanks in a given period, we lose our incentive pay.  They do not differentiate between a blank that you leave because you can't understand them and a blank because the doctor made an apparent error.  So if you have a lot of dictator errors that you flag, you could potientially lose money. So there's not much incentive to do so (as we are not REQUIRED to catch their mistakes) but in the end it's the patient who suffers since doctors never seem to be held accountable for their mistakes.    I understand that MQ also financially penalizes MTs if they have too many blanks but I wonder if they have a different method for flagging dictator errors so they are not counted against the MT. Does anyone know?

re: Former Spheris MT - SOS

[ In Reply To ..]
No, there is no way that we can flag an error and not have it count against us. That would be fair and logical and THAT is not MQ. Unfortunately, we the MT get penalized for sending reports to QA to address an problem with errors in the report. Supposedly, by sending reports to QA they "fix or address" the issue, but yeah, too many reports to QA puts you on audit and lowers your rate by 3clp in both ASR and transcription, so be aware. Also, just don't send anything to QA! I don't think any of us do anymore!

the way I do it - is to leave a blank

[ In Reply To ..]
along with a note to the client. Or sometimes I just leave a client note with no blank (such as telling them about a missing DOB or something like that) Then I send the chart directly to the client. I do not click the QA box because that will send it to the QA dept and ultimately may count against me.

I'm not sure if you are working with the same DQS/blank/QA system that we are working under.

Just be very careful not to abuse the ability to send notes, and be careful what you say in the notes as it could come back to haunt you.

re: is to leave a blank - Not so dumb blonde

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you leave a note to the client? and what you say in the end, "be careful what you say in the notes as it could come back to haunt you", is yet another reason I wouldn't! Heaven forbid you give MQ yet another reason to put you on the chopping block!

I also just gave up sending anything to QA as well. I work slowly and as carefully as possible and play the kissing up game to the person who gives my feedback.

Fingers and toes crossed still...

But seriously, there is no winning with this company.

I just hit the keys to leave - a QA marker blank

[ In Reply To ..]
(can't remember the combination right now, isn't that ridiculous..sorry. I just type it. I think it's ATL-Q)

Then I type my note in the box being very careful to not offend anyone at the hospital...god forbid lol

Then I go back and delete the QA marker blank that was placed in the chart. That way they get a note with no marker.

note to client - Daisy

[ In Reply To ..]
The way you leave a note and not have it sent to QA is - you don't check the QA box when you upload your finished document. If you want it to go to QA, you have to check the box that says QA when you upload. If I were you, I would send NOTHING to be marked to go to QA. They nit-pick and find errors where there are none. They mess up your document and then you might get flagged and have ALL your documents audited. Sending anything to QA is a NO-WIN situation. Very unfortunate but that's the way it is around here. They don't want to "teach" you, they want to DING you! :(

Ctl-ShiftQ to get the box, leave note - NE MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to CYA and provide the client info on any discrepancy or ADT info not provided. By leaving a note in the box the report will stop at the client and they need to fix the problem before it goes to the doctor for signature them. Any QA marker you put in the report will automatically convert to a blank when the client gets it.

There is an option on upload to click the QA box which sends the report to QA first before the client. Honestly, I don't send any reports to QA at all. I know if I can't get the blank or if there is a discrepancy QA would just leave a note for the client anyway and it just makes sense to bypass QA and send the report to the client.

Here at the Q, you will lose 3 cpl for turning in - one too many

[ In Reply To ..]
blanks. Welcome to our world.

Similar Messages:

Mistake I Came Across
Dec 29, 2012

It continues to amaze me some of the mistakes I come across. Fosamax is not prescribed for a 6-year-old child with kidney disease/kidney transplant, Phos-Nak is.  ...

I Made A Mistake
May 18, 2010

I just got called by "the boss" about a mistake I made yesterday.  I feel horrible.  I am glad they called.  It was a good heads up for me.  They down played it but still I am feeling upset.  I know it will pass but it's made for a tough morning.  Kinda shakes my confidence.  Thanks for listening. ...

Payroll's Mistake
Feb 10, 2012

Today the payroll dept made a mistake and everyone who was working got clocked off in error.  Now CCM wants us to go in and fix it ourselves.  Next thing you know they will be sending us a tutorial on how to fix our own computers.  I am so tired of all the things we have to do for no pay that I want to scream.  It's bad enough that we are paid so little for doing what we were hired to do, we get nothing for all the things we have to do that were not in our job descriptio ...

Coming Across A Mistake
Aug 03, 2012

I was looking over already transcribed reports by others to check on a medication and came across a mistake that really makes us look foolish and is something, IMHO, that any transcriptionist would know and this doctor speaks good English.  Would you notify QA so they can correct the report or notify the hospital to correct the report?  Thanks for your opinion.  ...

You Guys Will Never Believe This ASR Mistake
Sep 13, 2012

This ASR mistake was so perfect that it is unbelievable.  It's so unbelievable that I would never have put it on here unless it was for real.  Dictated:  "M-H-C-L, all in caps" ASR:  MT agency hell hole  ...

I Made A Big Mistake
Nov 25, 2014

I'm trying to get my old job back. ...

I Made The Awesome Mistake Of.......sm
Dec 07, 2013

deciding to check FIESA this morning.... REALLY DUMB DECISION!  I have just about given up doing correction reversals, especially since ALL of my post-audit QA is done offshore.  And most definitely now because they must've just hired someone off the street over there to do my post audits.  Seriously, there is 1 offshore QA person in particular who will consistently go through my reports and delete text that I have either transcribed or edited (correctly I might add) and put& ...

While In Training, If You Found A Mistake Made By
Jan 10, 2012

QA when they were checking your work, would you tell your trainer; i.e., something was "corrected" on one of the reports I did; after looking again at the client profile, the way I had done it was the customer's preferred way.  TIA for opinions. ...

I Made A Mistake On This Board I Need To Correct
Sep 26, 2012

I said Nuance pays according to experience.  Obviously, that was wrong.  I lost track of the thread or else I would have said something earlier.  Apologies! ...

One Mistake Made Me Fail An Audit.
Jun 09, 2015

I admit I made a mistake.  I forgot to add a cc.  Never mind that all the other jobs that were audited were 100%.  I am only human but Mmodal does not care.  ...

Did You Ever Change Jobs And Realize You Made A Mistake?
Apr 13, 2011

I recently left a company after four years because the grass seemed greener elsewhere, has anyone ever done this and then realized right away it was a huge mistake?  I feel guilty after the company has trained me and worked with me for almost two weeks but I am so miserable, any suggestions or advice of what to do? ...

Deleted A File In Express Scribe By Mistake.
Nov 21, 2011

I deleted a file yesterday, and need to get it back if I can.  Is there any way I can recover it?   ...

Got A Reversal Only Because They Made A Mistake Listing Me As The Dictator
Feb 18, 2015

I can just see their smug red face conceding they made a mistake. Makes my day. Now back to my dictating! ...

Learn From My Mistake About Picking A Good Coding Program
Jan 20, 2012

I am in my last semester of an HIT program at my local community college.  This program is accredited through CAHIIM.  I actually found this program on the AHIMA website as an approved AHIMA coding program and was so excited that it was in my hometown.  Well, almost two years later and $4000 in student debt, I still have no idea how to code.  Sure, I'm great at Math 101 and English 101 and my anatomy is amazing, but I have no idea how to code.  One class that I have ...

Overheard A Doctor Telling Another Doctor...
Oct 15, 2010

20 years ago when the DRG's hit the hospitals, one  was complaing to the other... "they treat doctors like a bunch of old dogs now".  Well, that's how  MTs are being treated now.  Why on God's green earth do the MT services require all MT's to work at least one weekend day every week (Friday's and Monday's  don't count). Every ad I see on the Job Seeker board requires weekends.  Are they sadistic or something.  Why do we put u ...

If The Doctor Says MTP Sm
Nov 10, 2009

The patient presents today for followup on her right first MTP. should it be... metatarsophalangeal and the word joint after it or can it just be metarsophalangeal? tia. ...

Do You Ever Wonder How A Doctor (ESL Or Non-ESL) Would
Feb 20, 2010

react if we went in their offices and talked so fast that they couldn't understand what we said, if we ate during our visit, or yawned and continued talking?  I'm just going to wager a guess that they wouldn't appreciate it very much.  Sometimes, I think it would be fun to try just to see their reactions.  There are some that I transcribe that if I ever got the chance to do that I would.  Have an ESL right now that's talking way too fast.  Do they not ...

Anyone Else Have A Doctor Who ........ (sm)
Aug 05, 2010

Rambles on, makes no sense throughout the dictation at all, does not make complete sentences, dictates on a patient in the WRONG chart constantly, follows no format, which is required by YOU, cuts himself off but yet when you can understand him, he has a "bright" moment and makes sense is an absolute joy to transcribe????  Oh, and did I mention that he only dictates every third day even though he sees patients on a daily basis???? Mini-vent over, back to the confusion ... TIA ...

New Doctor
Nov 06, 2010

It sounds like he says Plantar response is flexor bilaterally in his physical exam portion but he says it so fast I'm not sure I have it right.  ...

Gee, Doctor
Jul 08, 2014

to dictate, as long as you are already in your car & eating a box of Cracker Jack.  ...

How Can You Be A Doctor And
Aug 16, 2014

I mean, seriously. What are they teaching these ESL docs now?? <--me, rolling eyes ...

Really Doctor
Jan 27, 2015

Document 1836 long.  Doctor walked away from phone at 153 and I had to listen to a bunch of garbage.  thank you so much for being an incosiderate boob.  ...

Well Thank You Doctor...
Mar 10, 2015

Apologies from a physician who is stumbling over his words while valiantly making an effort to dictate clearly.  Wish we had more docs like this. ...

Yes, Doctor
May 10, 2015

while you take a long personal call.  After all, I'm just a computer. ...

Really Doctor?
Jun 03, 2015

doesn't actually pause the recording.  And saying "Unpause" doesn't make it start again.  This isn't even the same doctor that calls me "computer."  "Computer go back to the HPI and..."  Beam me up!! ...

What About A Doctor's Responsibility?
Oct 20, 2009

I got in trouble today because I put a wrong patient.  The doctor dictated a billing number, name, and MRN.  The MRN was had a different patient, but the billing number and the patient name matched the ADT screen.  Not to mention the fact that he kept using "she" in the dictation and the MRN number matched a "he".  So logically one would just think he had the wrong MRN and I didn't want another QA submission so I sent it through with the correct billing number, name, and ...

Doctor's Address
Oct 31, 2009

I need the address for Dr. Jill Rue, family doc in Kentucky or southern indiana. thx ...

Having So Much Trouble With This Doctor......
Jan 18, 2010

No. 2 of his impression is: Acute pancreatitis with probable cysts.  Rule out pseudocyesis or superimposed candidiasis.  The fullness of the cul-de-sac may be secondary to ascites (s/l lofadet) gynecology problem.  HELP!!!!!!!! ...

Doctor-diagnosed Or Doctor Diagnosed?
Jan 27, 2010

Psychiatric Consultation under Review of past medical records... There's a list of 8 paragraphs that begin with "Doctor diagnosed... " and then a list of conditions that the patient had/has follows each. Would Doctor-diagnosed be hypenated in this case?  Thanks!   ...

The Transcription Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Unbelievable.  They just sent a ton of attachments.  No inservice on the "particulars" when you're filling out the demographic screen, just a TON of instructions without answering any questions.  You watch the video on escription, download it, and then you're suppose to be good to go.  Forget it. ...