A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you ever wonder how a doctor (ESL or non-ESL) would - wannie

Posted: Feb 20, 2010

react if we went in their offices and talked so fast that they couldn't understand what we said, if we ate during our visit, or yawned and continued talking?  I'm just going to wager a guess that they wouldn't appreciate it very much.  Sometimes, I think it would be fun to try just to see their reactions.  There are some that I transcribe that if I ever got the chance to do that I would.  Have an ESL right now that's talking way too fast.  Do they not realize that they are little more difficult to understand anyway (as a general rule) and that they probably need to slow down and enunciate a little better.  Oh well, my vent for the day. Maybe I'll feel better now. 

In some languages, they normally speak very fast. - deb

[ In Reply To ..]
They probably don't realize that many of us in the U.S. do not speak that rapidly, they're just used to talking that way.

Well, as the old saying goes, When in Rome - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
do as the Romans do. Same with America, when is America do as the Americans do.

Actually, I speak pretty fast myself, but I would have sense enough to slow down when speaking to someone whose first language is not English. They should have the same consideration or go somewhere else to practice medicine.

Similar Messages:

Overheard A Doctor Telling Another Doctor...
Oct 15, 2010

20 years ago when the DRG's hit the hospitals, one  was complaing to the other... "they treat doctors like a bunch of old dogs now".  Well, that's how  MTs are being treated now.  Why on God's green earth do the MT services require all MT's to work at least one weekend day every week (Friday's and Monday's  don't count). Every ad I see on the Job Seeker board requires weekends.  Are they sadistic or something.  Why do we put u ...

If The Doctor Says MTP Sm
Nov 10, 2009

The patient presents today for followup on her right first MTP. should it be... metatarsophalangeal and the word joint after it or can it just be metarsophalangeal? tia. ...

Anyone Else Have A Doctor Who ........ (sm)
Aug 05, 2010

Rambles on, makes no sense throughout the dictation at all, does not make complete sentences, dictates on a patient in the WRONG chart constantly, follows no format, which is required by YOU, cuts himself off but yet when you can understand him, he has a "bright" moment and makes sense is an absolute joy to transcribe????  Oh, and did I mention that he only dictates every third day even though he sees patients on a daily basis???? Mini-vent over, back to the confusion ... TIA ...

New Doctor
Nov 06, 2010

It sounds like he says Plantar response is flexor bilaterally in his physical exam portion but he says it so fast I'm not sure I have it right.  ...

Gee, Doctor
Jul 08, 2014

to dictate, as long as you are already in your car & eating a box of Cracker Jack.  ...

How Can You Be A Doctor And
Aug 16, 2014

I mean, seriously. What are they teaching these ESL docs now?? <--me, rolling eyes ...

Really Doctor
Jan 27, 2015

Document 1836 long.  Doctor walked away from phone at 153 and I had to listen to a bunch of garbage.  thank you so much for being an incosiderate boob.  ...

Well Thank You Doctor...
Mar 10, 2015

Apologies from a physician who is stumbling over his words while valiantly making an effort to dictate clearly.  Wish we had more docs like this. ...

Yes, Doctor
May 10, 2015

while you take a long personal call.  After all, I'm just a computer. ...

Really Doctor?
Jun 03, 2015

doesn't actually pause the recording.  And saying "Unpause" doesn't make it start again.  This isn't even the same doctor that calls me "computer."  "Computer go back to the HPI and..."  Beam me up!! ...

What About A Doctor's Responsibility?
Oct 20, 2009

I got in trouble today because I put a wrong patient.  The doctor dictated a billing number, name, and MRN.  The MRN was had a different patient, but the billing number and the patient name matched the ADT screen.  Not to mention the fact that he kept using "she" in the dictation and the MRN number matched a "he".  So logically one would just think he had the wrong MRN and I didn't want another QA submission so I sent it through with the correct billing number, name, and ...

Doctor's Address
Oct 31, 2009

I need the address for Dr. Jill Rue, family doc in Kentucky or southern indiana. thx ...

Having So Much Trouble With This Doctor......
Jan 18, 2010

No. 2 of his impression is: Acute pancreatitis with probable cysts.  Rule out pseudocyesis or superimposed candidiasis.  The fullness of the cul-de-sac may be secondary to ascites (s/l lofadet) gynecology problem.  HELP!!!!!!!! ...

Doctor-diagnosed Or Doctor Diagnosed?
Jan 27, 2010

Psychiatric Consultation under Review of past medical records... There's a list of 8 paragraphs that begin with "Doctor diagnosed... " and then a list of conditions that the patient had/has follows each. Would Doctor-diagnosed be hypenated in this case?  Thanks!   ...

The Transcription Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Unbelievable.  They just sent a ton of attachments.  No inservice on the "particulars" when you're filling out the demographic screen, just a TON of instructions without answering any questions.  You watch the video on escription, download it, and then you're suppose to be good to go.  Forget it. ...

Doctor's Appointments
Mar 21, 2010

Can anyone tell me what the policy is for taking time off for a medical appointment.  I have worked here for over 5 years but never done it.  I am a regular part timer who just switched over from flexible part time so I have no PTO accrued to use for the hours I need off and really just want to take it w/o pay.  Just curious what others on this forum have done... ...

This One Is The Doctor's Fault!........
Jun 28, 2010

I mean really! "Her creatinine is somewhat deranged at 2.1..........." ...

What Happens When It's The Doctor's Mistake?
Jun 18, 2010

I am a former Spheris MT, now begrudgingly a MQ MT (not that Spheris was all that great either).  As was pointed out below, we are still on Spheris rules for the most part but I don't expect that to last forever.  At Spheris, if we think a doctor has made a mistake, we are encouraged to flag it but that entails putting in a blank, just as if we didn't understand the dictator.  If we have too many blanks in a given period, we lose our incentive pay.  They do not diff ...

The Doctor's Helper
Jul 12, 2010

I was just offered a job with "The Doctor's Helper"  Has anyone worked with this company?  I was burned by DIT Transcription and don't want the same thing to happen again.  Is this a safe, reputable company? ...

If Your Doctor Talks To You
Sep 10, 2010

Do you feel compelled to talk back out loud?  I have a new doctor that talks to me, and if he says thank you, I find myself saying "you're welcome" out loud!  He also asks questions, as in, "did I remember the vitals" and I say "no you didn't".  My dog kind of looks at me funny, like, are you talking to me?  ...

Doctor Is Stating
May 23, 2011

"dermaclens" or "dermaclenz" ????  I can find a Derma-Clens when I google but it is used by vets.  Any suggestions?  TIA.  ...

Contract For Doctor
Nov 14, 2011

If you have your own account, is it necessary to have the doctor(s) sign a contract before you start with them?  Thanks ...

New French Doctor
Jan 29, 2012

Okay, we've got this new French doctor at one of my hosptials. When I transcribe his dictation, in my head, I'm transcribing dictation form Gelles Marini from Brothers and Sisters and Dancing with the Stars. He's hard to understand, but I'm in love with him. LOL. It's a nice break from the other ESL doctors from the Middle East. I respect that they are learning English and I am sympathetic, but they cost me so much money because with some of them, I earn about $4 an ...

Doctor Who Uses Tapes
Jan 30, 2012

I have a doctor that still uses tapes and refuses to go digital or call-in.  The problem is there is interference on the tapes and I can barely hear him.  They think it is my transcriber, which it could be, but I don't think it would be worth the investment to buy a new transcriber for tapes when hardly any doctors even use them anymore!  I need some opinions from my fellow MTs on this subject!  I risk losing the entire account of 3 doctors (2 are digital) if I don' ...

Just Had A Doctor Spell
Feb 18, 2012

"void" - its gonna be a long night... ...

Doctor Finder
Mar 27, 2012

The AMA site, you have to type in certain code words before you get in...the UC Health site,  you can't just type in a name or part of name, you have to scroll through a long list.  Anyone got a way to find doctors in Florida that is simple without having to navigate through typing in codes for site access ...etc. ...

Every Single Doctor
Sep 17, 2012

has been eating and chomping and slurping and slobbering and mucking up every single report.  Hour into my shift and I have a throbbing headache.  Not to mention the middle eastern $%@# who is listening to the top ten favorite hits from his satellite arab radio station, cymbals and banging and whirling and clacking.  ...

My Son's Podiatry Doctor Said He Is Not Doing EMR
Nov 20, 2012

He asked me for my card, says he dictates onto mini cassettes and a lady picks them up and prints them on this post-it sticky paper. He asked me for my card and asked if I would be interested in covering for her if she were to quit, be on vacation of what have you. He says is not doing EMR, does not want to do it. This got me thinking, he is middle-aged, small 2-man practice, how many other small office need MT help and not going through nationals or doing EMR. I am getting a transcriber f ...

Doctor Names
May 01, 2013

my mtso switched to a new system and all the doc names I had in my data base are gone.  what a pain to start over.  any simple way to do this.  all the doc names come up as spelling errors and i am adding them slowly and painfully ty ...

OMG. I Am In The ER And There Is A Scribe With The Doctor
May 06, 2013

omg. i am in the er with hunnybun and they have a medical scribe in here. took all i could to sit here and be a good girl and keep my mouth shut.  ...