A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

So I quit last week - old and burned out

Posted: Nov 23, 2013

and then, about 5 days later, get an email telling me I am scheduled for a Fluency refresher course.  The course is 4 hours long, scheduled 2 days before Thanksgiving (when we are all usually very busy) and on a day of the week when I had never worked.  (I had already told them I didn't need a Fluency refresher course but rather dictation I could understand and fewer than a dozen different accounts in 4 hours).  I guess I'm not really finished until I send back their computer and/or stop looking at the emails.

That is funny - just saying

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been helping my husband go back to school to finish up his degree and one of his classes was on HR and use/abuse of training. One of the papers was on how companies do not analyze the problems facing the company/employees first and just always assume that training is the answer. Then the companies are flabbergasted when the training does not solve the problem. Could have used Mmodal as a perfect case study. Rather than look at the inept dictators, subpar ASR or the multitude of information on accounts we are expected to retain they assume that somehow we are not proficient on Fluency. Then after they spend all this money paying for a refresher course the problem will still exist but somehow it will be the employee's fault.

You do know that these courses are now mandatory because they offered them as voluntary and no one signed up, right?

to just saying - exactly

[ In Reply To ..]
Good analysis in a few words. Exactly, Fluency is inferior to other platforms out there. All the MT training in the world is not going to improve it. The sound is awful and they think they can make a comprehensive report out of garbage. Who programmed the thing, it cannot even spell or punctuate. In short, the hospitals have been sold a bill of goods by M*Modal (aka the investment arm of JP Morgan). Wake up America!

i signed up one time - Old School

[ In Reply To ..]
The thing I signed up for was something they do every month where (I was told) they discuss issues with Fluency in a "relaxed atmosphere." What struck me was that they were not interested in hearing about problems we had. They wanted us to choose something we wanted to learn more about, and then they discussed that, but when we brought up concerns we were told (well of course) to discuss with our supervisors.

Would be funnier were it not so sad - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't need the refresher because I had worked on DQS and the transition to Fluency was no big deal. It might have been good for those who were on another platform. And this was after paying for 1 1/2 hours of the Quality Improvement program which was basically remedial English.

If those at the top approached the quality issues by asking us peons what our problems are and what is keeping us from being more proficient at our jobs, they might get somewhere.

Another reason for it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That is correct, but it goes beyond that. Employers provide training in order to document that the employee was trained. They need this to justify adverse personnel actions like firing, demotion, and layoffs.

Whether the training is relevant or effective is immaterial. The employer only has to say it is and document attendance.

Another Reason - They must have

[ In Reply To ..]
a team who looks up all this stuff, so they are covered when they are confronted with their unfair tactics towards the employees. I have read about how Walmart has screwed over some of their employees, but nothing like this. At WM, it is a minimum wage job and you are treated as such, but not here; you have to know your stuff and that is what they are trying to get around. What they want besides just more money is beyond my comprehension. Just send it all to India and be done with it and torturing the people they have working for them now and BTW, I got an e-mail from one of the recruiter places and MM was advertising! Go figure.

Good point - just saying

[ In Reply To ..]
The company can point to all the "training" the employee has received and justify termination. It should matter to the company that the training is relevant or effective but it does not. That was my point. Instead of figuring out the problem and trying to solve it they just do training in hopes that it helps somewhat. All these many years of talking about dictator best practices have just been empty words. They are trying to fix us instead of where most of the problems lie. If the docs knew that the ASR picked up every word and even inserted words when there was no dictation they might dictate in a different way.

Similar Messages:

New Hire, First Full Week To Work, Want To Quit - How Much Notice Should I Give ?
Oct 04, 2012

x ...

HAPPY MT WEEK - Have A Great Week
May 17, 2010

To all you wonderful MTs working and slaving your lives away, Happy MT Week.  I appreciate you.  I appreciate your kindness when I have a rant or a rave, when I'm at my wits end with the constant changing around of clients, client profiles and the never ending dings being thrown at me. I appreciate knowing that I am not alone in this struggle. It is because of all of you, and only you MTs on this board that I manage to stay in this game.  We are treated as less than second class citiz ...

Anyone Planning On Actually Participating In MT Week Next Week?
May 14, 2014

. ...

Payday This Week (Thanksgiving Week)
Nov 24, 2014

Does anyone know when pay will be distributed this week? A big deal seemed to be made about getting payroll in quickly, so Im wondering if pay will be released before Thursday or if its just going to be Friday as usual. ...

At 99.4% This Week, Congratulated That I Improved Over Last Week.
Feb 13, 2015

Good grief. I did not change the way I edit. It so depends on how many commas they think you should have. Yes, I made an unusual (for me) mistake last week, but the rest of passing an audit is dumb luck of whether you get a realistic auditor or Ms English wannabe. Everybody must be under pressure because of the cesspool as I see a lot of mistakes when I look up past reports to help with these mush mouths and accents. The time czar wants schedule changes, but I see no problems with turna ...

Does Your PTO Rate Now Vary Week To Week?
Feb 20, 2015

Does it now vary from week to week?  I used to always know exactly what my PTO was and could calculate it but just noticed that it varied from one paycheck a couple of months back to this past week.  How is this now figured?  So confusing ...

Seriously, Is TT Trying To Get Everyone To Quit?
Jan 26, 2010

Not only can I not get up to speed flip flopping back and forth between traditional work and VR each and every report, not only did they cut my pay for this not so great new platform, not only can I not change accounts because there is no work on anything but my account, not only has production incentive gotten completely out of my reach, and not only is this year's insurance not actually what I signed up for, but now the latest? Seriously WHAT IS UP?  I can&# ...

BOO HOO -- Can I Quit?
Feb 01, 2010

This is the first time I am transcribing an intubation procedure.  The doctor keeps stating that he used an instrument "Glide slope."  I can only find a GlideScope.  Is he mispronouncing the name of this instrument, or is there a Glide Slope? ...

Anyone Who Has Quit MQ
Mar 15, 2010

Just curious how long it took to get your 401K. I'm thinking about quitting, taking the penalty for cashing in the 401K and living on the rest while I look for a new job. Probably not the best strategy, but this FTR thing is really making me crazy. TIA ...

Want To Quit
Apr 07, 2010

How much notice should I give? ...

Everyone Quit!!
Apr 14, 2010

I am so serious.  Everyone needs to quit transcribing for a while.  We need to get this industry back to where we could actually make a decent living.  I am making less money now than I did 15 years ago.  It is absolutely ridiculous.  As long as we keep agreeing to all the junk that these transcription companies keep throwing at us, it will only continue to go downhill.  I really think I could make as much money at McDonald's than I am now.  Something ...

What Happens To PTO If You Quit?
Jun 01, 2010

I am thinking about starting to look around for another job and was wondering if I need to use up my PTO before I quit or will it be paid out?  If I have PTO saved up and put in my notice will they find a way not to give it to me?  Thanks! ...

QUIT MQ
Jun 15, 2010

Does anyone know about how many people have quit MQ in the past 6 months or so?  It seems that things are going from bad to worse recently.   ...

Quit Job?
Jul 14, 2010

I am thinking about quiting my job at the hospital to try and work from home, but after reading some of the postings here i am wondering if that is such a good idea. Is there really a shortage of work out there? Do i dare take the chance?   jkl ...

Can You Get TAA If You Quit?
Jul 15, 2010

This job has become so impossible to make any money.  I am below min wage on SR, and now they are sending off a bunch of our accounts to Global.  I technically still have work and have not been laid off.  Is TAA possible if the company still has work for us to do?  Can part-time workers get this too or only full-timers?  Many thanks to anyone who answers this.  I did read some of the DOL website but could not find this info.  ...

Does MQ Pay Your PTO If You Quit?
Aug 13, 2010

Does anyone know if MQ is good about paying you for accumulated PTO if you quit or do you have to fight them for it? ...

About To Quit
Jan 05, 2011

I am about to quit MQ due to a health condition and was unable to find in MQCentral the Resignation policy anywhere. Can someone tell me where I can find it.   Thanks ...

MQ WANTS US TO QUIT
Jul 12, 2011

CBAY would prefer to outsource all of the work to India where they can get it done for much cheaper.  To top it off, we do QA for them thus training them to take our jobs!  I'm outta there! ...

I HAVE HAD IT AND I ALSO QUIT
Aug 17, 2011

The pay cut hit me hard last PP and now, this is the third day in a row that not even an hour into my shift I'm out of work.  I don't have any PTO to fall back on and the NJA rate is just as bad...  I went to a friend and practically begged for a job until I find something else.  I'll be cashiering and doing store clerk duties for a little more than 10 bucks an hour.  I feel silly, because he usually hires high school kids and kids in their 20s, you know a ...

Has Anyone Quit...
Aug 27, 2011

and gotten paid for your remaining PTO?  Just curious before I attempt to jump into something different.  Totally willing to work out a 2-week notice. ...

I QUIT!!
Sep 25, 2011

After 3 years of training, a paid internship and finally work as an MT I QUIT! What other profession has so many requirements with so little pay? No longer starry-eyed about this "fun, interesting work." I QUIT!! Maple Grandma   ...

DQS Just Quit?
Jun 05, 2012

My last job is sitting waiting to upload, and I just got an error message and booted off! Grrrrrr ...

How To Quit...
Sep 20, 2013

I'm juggling 2 MTSOs as an IC. I cannot sustain this for very long, the plan always was to stick with the better, more stable one and phase out the other one. At the first company (I'll just call it FC), the pickings were slim. They said that once I clear QA, I'll get a back up account and running out of work will not be an issue. But the volumes were so low that it took me nearly a month to get out of QA (last week). Then the second company called, a month after I tested for them ...

Why I Quit
Nov 21, 2013

Since the last thread is down the page I thought I would add this. I worked on very difficult accounts for the last 5 years and never had a problem with audits (failed 1 or 2 in 5 years). Then at the beginning of this month I was switched to a new BOB, was audited after 8 days on the account (98.1%) and immediately put on 100% QA which means I would be working for less than minimum wage. Since the vast majority of my work is above the 99.5% they arbitrarily require, they would be getting all ...

I Just Quit!
Apr 07, 2014

The stress is not worth it. My health is more important. I hope the rest of you who remain will be able to do whatever you need to do for yourself and your family - whether that means hanging in there, finding a new job, or being able to flat-out quit. No, I don't have another job, just took an early retirement. Getting older isn't so bad after all. ...

Has Anyone Ever Quit A Job Because They Kept You On
Jan 29, 2015

100% constantly?  I usually get released after a day or two, but am going on two weeks.  This is getting ridiculous only doing 5 reports a day.  Come on people.  I cannot pay the bills on $40 a week!! ...

How To Quit
Jan 29, 2015

Anyone know the process of how to quit Nuance....if we have to give 2-week notice?  My acceptance letter says "entitled to terminate employment at any time."  Lack of work, crazy pay structure makes it necessary to give this up and look elsewhere.  Thanks for any help/suggestions.  (My TSM never answers my emails so don't feel I can ask her.) ...

And I Can't Quit
Mar 03, 2015

I used to be very proud to be an MT. I loved my job. You know when we actually typed the reports (some of us even on typewriters with that black sheet in between the pages so you could "make copies lol) When we didn't have to worry that we might have too many blanks. When we didn't have to worry about our "inactive time."  When we were responsible for ourselves and admitted our errors instead of being "graded" like we were back in school and "held back" (PM) when we failed.   ...

Did Someone Else Quit
Mar 12, 2015

Did another editor/transcriptionist quit.  Overtime, extra incentives and stats for one hospital that I have not seen in a while.  Wonder what is going on?? ...

QUIT MICROMANAGING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 28, 2010

Audit feedback T'ing me off, sorry.  I fail to see how adding or leaving out "a" and "the" should be anywhere near a major category, downgrade or not.  Absolutely none of the "errors" I am being dinged for have any effect on patient care.  I completely reject audits as a valid assessment of my skill, especially since dictators are obviously not held to the same standard.  We are given too many sets of rules to follow. D* if you do, d* if you don't.  H ...