A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Everyone quit!! - jen

Posted: Apr 14, 2010

I am so serious.  Everyone needs to quit transcribing for a while.  We need to get this industry back to where we could actually make a decent living.  I am making less money now than I did 15 years ago.  It is absolutely ridiculous.  As long as we keep agreeing to all the junk that these transcription companies keep throwing at us, it will only continue to go downhill.  I really think I could make as much money at McDonald's than I am now.  Something really needs to be done.

I agree. - FLKate

[ In Reply To ..]
I am making less money this year than the previous 20 years I have done MT. The company I work for now has made dozens of cut-backs. No cost-of-living wage since 2005 but I don't think there is a company out there worth a crap anymore. I'm sticking this job out for a few more months and then I'm moving on. I've had enough of being underpaid and overworked.

That is just your experience. I am doing very well - and have no intention of quitting.

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't judge everyone's experience by your own.

But you go ahead and quit! LOL More work for me.

Good for you! - FLKate

[ In Reply To ..]
It must be nice to have a company that has a decent platform, no cutbacks, pays downtime and doesn't overhire.

You're empathy is overwhelming..... - DirtPoorMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't you just love when a fellow MT rubs your nose in your despair? That's why the MTSO's get away with sticking it to us. They divide and conquer because of nit wit comments like the above.

''empathy is overwhelming''---You hit the nail on the head. - mtpa50

[ In Reply To ..]
Great post! You are 100% correct about the divide-and-conquering. Other professions are notorious for ''having each others' backs''. MTs should also.

I'm not quitting either - doing very well indeed - MT4ever

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Maybe U are, but U do know, of course, that your - good fortune isnt gonna last 4ever!

[ In Reply To ..]
The rug will get pulled out from under YOU, too, eventually. Nobody's income is safe anymore.

Jen, I understand your concerns. - You do realize there are offshore MTs ready to roc

[ In Reply To ..]
Plus quitters never win. If you feel that overwhelmed by the changes in the economy, you may need a second job to supplement the first one.

This business is no different than any other. Lots of people are making less and lots of people are losing their jobs. It is not just the MT industry.

While I feel your frustration, it just simply means we need to work harder and smarter, but quitting never gets you anywhere. It really doesn't. Oh maybe it does - broke!!!! or more broke!!!!!

Propaganda - DirtpoorMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If the Indians are so ready to take away all our work, why haven't they just shipped it all over there? I'm not saying jobs aren't going off shore but not at the rate MTSO's would like us to believe. THis is just propaganda and scare tactics to get us to swallow this unfair treatment and pay we are receiving.

dirtpoor - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
come over to MQ and enjoy the ride. Work is going to India like crazy. All we have left is the scraps and the few clients who refuse offshoring (at the moment).
MQ - DirtPoor
[ In Reply To ..]
I do work for the Q. Ever notice they are constantly hiring? They want to have many layers of MTs to abuse and manipulate. Again, if India could do all of our work, we'd be out of job already.

Quitters do win sometimes... - Jen

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no way that we will ever get back to where transcriptionists are paid a decent wage if we don't do something about it. Just sitting around and trying to work harder and harder hasn't worked for any of us. Let's not take it any longer. If the demand for transcriptionists is higher, then the pay will be greater. Anyone who is editing work from India has got to stop immediately. Refuse to do it. Those of you who are happy are probably those who are used to making much money and a minimum wage job sounds great to you. Sorry to be so blunt, but it's true.

With you Jen...this profession has gone in the crapper!!! - VTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not in my world - Quitters are quitters

[ In Reply To ..]
I do quite well with MT ($20-25/hr) and I know lots of people who do well.

So why not rename your thread and call it "I quit" and then you can do that and then you can find a job that pays you what you think you're worth!
Your world is not the REAL world of MT. - Get back to us in 3-5 years.
[ In Reply To ..]
Tell us if you're still making $20 hour then. My guess would be NO.

quitters never win - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Do bumper-sticker phrases like that really make you feel better? It just sounds like thoughtless rhetoric to me. At some point we all have to grow up and realize the ABC Afterschool Special morals like "quitters never win" or "good wins over evil" just doesn't apply in the real world. There is pretty much nothing anyone can do about the MT situation. Even a strike wouldn't achieve anything. Would getting out of this industry really make Jen a "quitter", and would being a "quitter" in that context really be a bad thing?

If you want to quit then go ahead. - kayd

[ In Reply To ..]
Why should everyone quit because you or others are unhappy with your job. You should look for another job.

I love my job. Sure I'd love to get paid more, who wouldn't. Times are not like they were 15 years ago. 15 years ago pretty much anyone who wanted a job could get one. Zoom in 15 years later and just about half the country is out of work. In my family alone either the wife or husband of a relative (including friends) are out of work.

I am sorry for the people who are unhappy with their jobs, but you are the only one who can do something about it.

I love my job and I love my supervisors and I love the types of work I do and my doctors. My company does not send me "junk". They are courteous, they will listen to my feedback and they go out of their way to accommodate the MTs that work there, and I couldn't ask for anything more (well a pay raise would be nice but I understand because of the economy). I'm the only one working in my family and I need my job.

If you are so unhappy then you should look for another job instead of telling all MTs to quit. If you can make more money at McDonalds then you should see if they have any openings. Your situation is not the same everywhere.

No wonder this profession is on its way out....nm - VTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

On its way out where, and just what exactly is it you want - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Where is this profession on its way out to? and what exactly is it you want? You want all MTs to quite their job because you are not happy with your job. I love my job and so do others. There is no reason for us to quit because you are unhappy. Maybe you should look for another job because you are unhappy with this one.

If nurses at hospital A in North Dakota are unhappy with their job do you thing they'd be asking nurses in hospital x in Texas to quit their jobs?

Everyone needs to take responsibility of their own lives. If you are unhappy you are the only one who can do something about it. We are all not sitting on a big pile of cash that we can just quit our jobs that we love just because someone far off doesn't like their job.

Maybe if the MTs who are not happy would drop this kind of attitude (the I'm unhappy so everyone in the country should quit because I'm unhappy attitude) maybe the profession would be filled with happier people.

This is still one of the best professions to be in and there are a lot of good companies out there. You just have to find the one that fits you best.
Well said! - qMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree. In any profession you are going to have good and bad companies to work for, you just have to be in charge of your own career and your own happiness. I am shocked at how many negative MTs are out there. I am happy with my job and the company I work for, always have plenty of work, and make decent money. I don't agree with the negativity towards the profession at all. And no, I am not a "suit," just a hard-working MT.
Well Said! Excellent message. - I agree
[ In Reply To ..]
I believe you've hit the nail right on the head.
unbelievable - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The MT profession isn't going to continue to be "one of the best" if people don't support each other. Plenty of people like you are only out for themselves, and that's a shame. Your entire answer to the problem is to pretend like there is no problem, to blame MTs and tell them to quit while saying OTHERS have no right to suggest MTs quit, you hypocrite! Then you say it's just so easy to "find the job that fits you best," as though those without jobs just aren't looking hard enough.

As the MT profession dwindles because of VR, outsourcing, and electronic records, you'll find yourself in the same situation plenty are in now. You'll probably ask for sympathy, too, but I hope you don't get it. I hope you receive the same uncaring "advice" that you're dishing out to those who have struggled and are losing their jobs and careers right now.
No you are unbelievable and being unreasonable - Misery likes company
[ In Reply To ..]
What exactly is it that you want? I don't get it and this thread is becoming juvenile. What I've been reading is that you and whoever else are unhappy with their jobs for all MTs to quit. Sorry hon, that aint gonna cut it and stop telling us we are being selfish because we have to work to support our families and stop trying to make people feel guilty because we love our jobs.

If you want support I'd suggest you join a group that will support you.

This board is a great support group, but sorry, everyone doesn't feel the same way you do trying to get everyone to quit their jobs because you don't like yours.

Everyone has to work. That is the way it works in life. You get a job so you can pay your rent and bills and eat. You may not like it but that is reality. Yes, support people, but no don't tell them to quit because you are unhappy - hey Bob, I want you to quit your job that you love because I'm unhappy with mine". - Uh excuse me??

My answer is not to pretend like there is no problem. Where in the world did you even get that idea. But your solution is to have all MTs quit???? What kind of a solution is that. Why don't you join a group, write to someone, do something constructive, not run around telling all MTs to quit their jobs. Hypocrite? You need to learn what that word means. You used it incorrectly.

Nobody ever said in any of these posts they were out of a job, so don't even try to play some guilt trip....it aint gonna work.

Whatever becomes of the MT profession I don't know. VR is becoming the wave of the future. It is time to come up to speed and accept it. You are not going to stop it. And I happen to love VR work. I can do it faster than typing.

If anything happens to my job then I will be out looking for another job, and I will deal with it, and no I will not be asking for sympathy. My mother did not raise me to be a whiner. She raised me to find solutions to my own problems. She taught me how to ask for help when I need it and not demand it, and she taught me that life was not fair and not to expect a pity party if I am not going to help myself.

And another thing....I did not give anyone advice in this thread. If you are so unhappy you are lashing out at the wrong person.

You're just ticked cos not everyone is jumping on the same bandwagon you are saying - yeah, I love my job and make 30, 40 or 50K a year but you don't like yours so I'll quit so we can all be miserable together.

If you said you were out of work and wanted some advice or help that's a totally different story and I'd do what I can to help you find other places, but you didn't say that. Nobody asked me for advice and I didn't give anyone advice. You need to lash out at someone else.
You are just grossly uninformed - Stop Preaching
[ In Reply To ..]
a sermon on a subject you obviously know very little about.
Excellent Message - Short message because I have work to do - No whiner here either
[ In Reply To ..]
I also agree with your comment about being able to make more money with VR than with straight transcription.
100% Correct Anon!! - MTPockets
[ In Reply To ..]
What a smug, condescending person this MT is. She obviously has not had it happen to her - yet. But it will. Oh yes, it will.

She obviously is a new MT and has no clue of the history of our profession if she still thinks this is a "good profession"

I have been an MT for over 35 years and was a founding member of AAMT (so sorry!) I do not wear rose-colored glasses.

This profession is DEAD and the only ones who don't know it yet are the newbies who don't want to admit it is dead because they just paid thousands of dollars for a worthless certificate.
I disagree with you and I think it's possible your skils are outdated from what you wrote - Just Saying That We Are Not All Victims
[ In Reply To ..]
What's 'dead' to some is good employment for others. The idea that if we're doing well, we're just too ignorant to know that we're not doing well, just doesn't fly anymore. Your philosophy that you have failed so everyone else is going to fail is ridiculous.

Your main claim to fame here or your idea of credibility, as you post anonymously, is that you were one of the founders of AAMT. Maybe you were. You also say that you've been an MT for 35 years but you are not successful now while others are. Look to your own skills before attacking others. You may find that your problem is that you are burned out or lack the motivation to keep up with the industry. Did you get too set in your ways and decide that you've always done it that way and you aren't going to change? I don't know, but if you did, there's your problem. The solution is to either retire, find something that you really enjoy enough to do it well, or update your skills. Calling another poster names isn't helping your own situation now, is it?
Oh did I hit a nerve with President of MTEC or Andrews - MT School?
[ In Reply To ..]
Afraid you'll lose your new crop of suckers?

My skills do not need explanation nor validation.
Easy to be smug - when it has not happend to you - YET
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh we all used to sing the praises. You WILL get burned and then you will understand. Don't sing Pollyana songs to us about what a great profession this is. There are a LOT of really, really great MTs who have been burned by these companies, which is why they come here to try to warn people like you so that you don't get burned, but judging by your pat answers, you think you've got it all figured out and it must be "the other guys" since you are having such a great experience. Today.

Good luck with keeping that condescending attitude of yours.

Come back and we'll comfort YOU when it happens to YOU. (Yes, if you stay in this business long enough, rest assured it WILL happen to you.)
Victims Whine and Complain While People With Courage Do Something To Improve Their Circumstances - Please Read
[ In Reply To ..]
Our country was based on people getting off their behinds and improving their situations. Back in the 1920s people had terrible circumstances. They lost everything. Did they sit around telling those who hadn't lost everything that all is doomed and if you're doing well, just way, your time is coming? No, they got out of their easy chairs, stepped away from their laptops (that's a joke), and did whatever they had to do to succeed. If anyone had a right to play victim, they did, but most of them had to put food on the table, so they changed careers or worked harder and/or longer. These times are tough. We need some of the courage and wisdom of the past. Our country depends on it.

I agree - If you have a bad job, find another one - that's the way to fight back - Not healthy to stay and be miserable

[ In Reply To ..]
It's really that simple. Find a job where you aren't mistreated. Don't expect the rest of us to do that for you though, because we can't.

Find another job....WHERE?? - Hello - do you not read the boards

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not that easy. But it IS easy to fire off a quickie one-line reply.
More than a one-line reply here - a kind repl - not a snarky one - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
If that job is truly bad, you have to either get your skills to the level that you can get another MT job that you do like - or go into another kind of work.

Don't believe all of that 'no-jobs-out-there' rhetoric you hear from anonymous posters, often the same ones posting over and over again because they have lots of time to post messages since they aren't working.

There are jobs, if you have the skills. I know several people who just switched and a couple of new MTs who were just hired and are doing well, but that's not the point of what I want to say here.

It's possible that your skills need updating. The jobs require more skills than they did years ago. You really need to be able to do acute care, for instance. You need to be willing to change with the times. I've seen people say that they will never, ever work with VR or speech recognition. I know others who felt that way but now are enjoying it. I know some who say they make more with VR than traditional MT.

Back to my main point, if you have a horrible, awful job, do what you can to make your own skills better. That will help in most cases. If it doesn't, you may just have a terrible employer or you may just not be cut out to be an MT. Many people aren't.

Again, my main point is this. If that job is truly bad, you have to either get your skills to the level that you can get another MT job that you do like - or go into another kind of work.

I wish you the very best as you decide how to handle your situation. Remember, you do have options. You aren't a victim.

If I have the skills? 35+ years 20 of them in QA - I think I do
[ In Reply To ..]
This field has done this to ME. Not me to them. Once you have been in this field long enough you too will see.

It is not about skills. I used to believe that too so I worked real hard, 20+ hours days, brushing up on my skills, learning everything I could, buying every book on the market - yes, back in the day we had to buy books - no internet. Only to see my pay rduced and my work sent overseas. The better your skills, the more you get screwed over because the MTSOs know that you are savvy about the MT world.

I do not have a horrible job. In fact I have a great job, but I am just very disappointed in what has happend to a once well-respected profession. It has been raped by the big MTSOs. The whole field has been corrupted.

When a file clerk job is being posted for $17/hour don't you think someone with all the knowledge we need to do this job should be proportionately better compensated? It's only fair. But this field is not about being fair at all.

You will come to see that all of this is true when/if you get more experience.
You are incorrect. I have as many years as you do. - Experienced CMT
[ In Reply To ..]
We can only speak for our own experience and those of our close friends and acquaintances. You are not speaking for me. I don't share your viewpoint but respect your right to your own opinion. Just don't try to cram it down other people by saying that we will feel like you do when we have as much experience as you do. I do have that experience and I don't share your opinion or outlook.
Another long-term MT here - Ima MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I've also done this for 35 years and ran my own service for 20 of them. Developed QA programs for another service. I have the skills.

I also went back to college and have the option of changing professions if I wanted to.

The thing is, I'm doing really well with MT. I have a great MTSO. My account is ALWAYS busy adn I'm paid well.

The snide remarks of "it will happen to you" are just that, snide remarks. I've seen a lot of change in the field since the 1970s and the reality is, we will continue to see changes. No one is bitching about no longer having to use a typewriter are they?

If you truly have the skills and want to be employed appropriately it can be done. It takes some trial and error and some time but there are many of us who are able to earn a nice living.

very happy - happyhappyhappy

[ In Reply To ..]
I also am very happy with my job. I love my supervisors. I love my company. I love the work. I feel I am making really good money. Granted "really good" is relative. I live in a very small town with no other oppotunities - not even a McDonnalds. Most of my freinds have to drive at least an hour each way to work. I bring home more after just a little over 1 year of doing this than my husband does after being with his company for over 20 years. So stop thiking your experience is everyone's experience. It isn't.

so really happy then you obviously are not working - for MQ, so just who r you

[ In Reply To ..]
working for that makes you so happy happy?? Help some others get some relief and happiness. :)

How? By quitting our jobs? - kayd

[ In Reply To ..]
You have no solutions. Is there a website or something to look at? Are you writing a letter to someone?

How exactly are we supposed to get other people we don't even know some "relief and happiness", by all of us quiting our jobs and therefore have no money to pay or rent or bills so we will be evicted, and no money for food so we will have to eat in the soup kitchens. Is that what you want? You want people who are happy with their jobs to quit and that will make you and others happy???

I just don't get the whole purpose of the thread. The OP doesn't like her job. There is only one solution. For her to look for another job. Not to tell all MTs to quit working.

There are many many MTs out here that do like our jobs. What do you expect we tell our spouse's? That someone in the country that we don't know is unhappy and therefore we are going to quit so they can be happy??? Oh yeah, I'm sure that would go over real smooth.

If you are unhappy at MQ (or anywhere else) then quit and find another job, but don't tell others to quit because you are unhappy and when we reply that we are happy with our jobs and have no intention of quitting you lash back with the words that we should stop thinking of ourselves and think of the other MTs that are not happy. On top of that we don't even know who they are. They are not our family members that we can sit down over coffee and help them find a solution. Just a bunch of disgruntled MTs who don't want to do anything to change their situation.

I love my job, I love my supervisors, I love my docs and the work I do. I don't get this so called "junk" work and my feedback is appreciated by my supervisors. I've been treated very fairly at my company and with respect. I'm sorry you are in the situation you are in, but I am certainly not going to quit my job because some MT is unhappy with her/his job.

We can't help others get relief and happiness (your words) by quitting our jobs! - Each MT Is Responsible For Their Own Happiness

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no way I can make some MT who has a bad job happy by quitting mine. It's time for people to take responsibility for their own situations.

I mean this sincerely though, if you are at the point where you are needing relief, it's time to do something else. MT isn't working for you. That's not an insult. There is no career field in the world that is perfect for everyone. Go out and search until you find one that works for you. I wish you all the relief and happiness possible. That isn't sarcasm. I really mean it.

Everyone who is happy probably loves minimum wage - jen

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess with all these people who are so happy with minimum wage, there is no way transcription can get to make even a decent living. However, some of these people need to think about what if something happens to their husbands. Are you going to be able to pay house payment, utilities, food and clothes for a family. I doubt it. I guess it is like the poster who says there is not even a McDonald's in her town and this is a great job for her. It probably is. It just isn't for people who need to make more.

Whatever....It is not worth fighting about because absolutely nothing will change as long as people are thrilled with making low wages and having companies walk all over you. The problem with this mentality is that eventually you will be out of a job as well because the wages will keep getting even too low for you.

Are you truly that dense? - Happy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Because someone says they are happy, they make minimum wage? I make much more than minimum wage. I negotiated a favorable line rate. I have no husband so your "what if" scare tactics won't fly.

There are many MTs who do quite well and are quite happy about it. I just don't understand those who are miserable and want "everyone" to join them!
RE: Dense - RUDense?
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not that we're unhappy with the act of medical transcription, it is just how the industry has reduced it to a profession that has the pay scale of an unskilled worker. And if anyone does make 50K I'm truly happy for you but your days at that payscale are truly numbered, so better have a back up plan.....

I make way more than min wage, Jen. My annual - income is still in the upper $50Ks. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
50K Haha....I think me smells a fibber...nm - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Blurb about overseas medical transcription and income.... - MTsbettergetabackupplan
[ In Reply To ..]
The shortage of MTs, Andosca adds, is directly impacted by the lower wages earned by overseas MTsâa situation similar to what is happening in the nursing industry. MTs are beginning to shy away from the profession because it is no longer financially attractive. âIn that sense, because offshore transcription has possibly held down wages, I think it may be part of the problem,â she explains. âIn other words, the lower salaries may be indirectly contributing to the continuing shortage.â

Only a suit would be making that much. NOT an MT. - Not at what we get paid per line.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I truly - Lucrative MT
[ In Reply To ..]
an gobsmacked.

I used to think MTs were intelligent but some of the STUPIDITY I'm reading here just floors me.

If you are happy with your job, know happy MTs, and make a decent paycheck, you're a suit.

WTF?

I wish all the bitter, low-talent, whining MTs would open their own service so we could see just how "great" they are. Just because you suck, doesn't mean the rest of us can't find a good job.
Uh huh. That reply had "suit" written all over it. - Buh-bye, Suit
[ In Reply To ..]
Remember that the fact that you haven't made that much doesn't mean others don't - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Even $60 is still possible these days, but rare but even more important - Please see message
[ In Reply To ..]
I've been around a long time and know quite a few MTs. The MTs I know are happy with their jobs. No job is perfect, of course.

Will most MTs make $60,000/year? No, of course not, but some do.

It is so obvious to me that many people have been doing MT for years who aren't cut out for it or don't have the acute care skills that are required these days. If you are unhappy but you don't want to leave MT, improve your skills.

Put all that energy that some MTs spend on fighting change, new technology, etc., into bettering your skills, or, finding something else to do. Just don't assume that everyone is failing just because you have failed in this particular career.

I make more than minimum wage, thank you - happyhappyhappy

[ In Reply To ..]
This is my 2nd year on the job and am on track to make approximately 40,000 this year - that is if I don't get any faster - which I most likely will. My last job paid a lot less than this and I had to deal with an dishonest boss and idiot customers and had to do a lot more continuing education to keep my job. MT's think they have it so bad. Everyone thinks they get paid too little and do too much and have too many headaches on their job. grow up.
You know, you've got an excellent point about our headaches compared to other jobs - MT is so much easier than my last job
[ In Reply To ..]
My last non-MT job was so horrible that it almost destroyed my health. I am so thankful that there are jobs like MT where you can move on if you have a bad situation, but you don't have horrible politics and even many of the expenses that you have in other jobs, clothes, gas, lunches out, etc.

There is a lot to be thankful for, if you have the right skills and attitude for this kind of work. Not everyone does, and that's okay.

For those who haven't found the right fit in MT though, or failed at it, that's okay. Just start looking to see what other kinds of work suit you better. I wish everyone could be happy as an MT, but not everyone is happy as a lawyer or entrepreneur or anything else. We aren't all the same.
MT is NOT an easy job - Staying at home is easy
[ In Reply To ..]
Do not confuse the 2. MT work is extremely difficult. Staying at home to work is not.
Agree. Corrected to say MT is so much less traumatic (political) than my last job - You are correct that MT is hard work
[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct. MT is hard work. I find it so much less emotional or traumatic than my last job with all its politics. I prefer the atmosphere here, even though the work is very hard and sometimes exhausting. I also have always found medical transcription emotionally rewarding, after I am rested. LOL

No place for quitters - Jules

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't understand what whining is going to do to change your situation. If you don't like what you are doing or who you are working for, do something about it. Step up to the plate and go find your own client. It's a lot more responsibility but if you are as good as you think you are, you can do it. I did. You can continue to complain or you can change your situation. Which one is likely to be more productive? If you are making less than minimum wage then there seems to be little risk in taking things in a different direction. I just don't get this whining thing. Get up and do something about it. The rest of us out here who have paid our dues, put in our years, and are doing well in our chosen profession, have little tolerance it. You CAN be successful in this line of work, but it is no place for quitters.

You are so right Jen....nm - VTmt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Well Jen, until you know how much we do make - - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
don't go around making judgments about us liking to work for minimum wage. Some of us are good at what we do and can make good pay. Not for you to be the judge since you don't know anything about us, who are you to be talking.

YES!!! I'm so glad someone finally put in words what I've been thinking - Thanks for posting

[ In Reply To ..]
You put in words what I've been thinking for a long time. Many MTs are doing well and are happy with their jobs. One person's bad experience isn't a crisis for everyone else. If you hate your job, go get another one. It's really that simple. If you can't get another job for some reason, make the best of what you do have. It isn't healthy for you to stay in a bad situation and it isn't helpful to try to spread it to those who are happy.

And how much do we get paid to quit? - Not the answer

[ In Reply To ..]
Telling everyone to quit is ridiculous.

I'd love to know how you think that will raise wages instead of drive jobs out of the country faster?

Sometimes one must stand up for his or her principles....nm - VTmt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Then let her stand up for HERS - Not mine

[ In Reply To ..]
If she wants out then she needs to get out, I don't need to go with her.

When I wanted a decent salary, I found one. I didn't tell everyone to quit.

This is as ridiculous as the union discussions.
Suit Alert....nm - me thiinks me smells a suit...
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
So do I. - Buh-Bye, Suit
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Easy solution for you - SKIP these posts
[ In Reply To ..]
Some of us want to have a discussion. Not all discussions pertain to everyone. If you find one that doesn't pertain to you...move on, but don't preach.

so you are either unhappy - or a liar

[ In Reply To ..]
right!

Yes.....lol nm - honestMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Im just about to be fired - in some ways better than - quitting cuz then Ill get UE $.

[ In Reply To ..]

nothing is ever gained by quitting. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

not true. Sometimes letting the old go opens new doors - Quit and better 4 it!

[ In Reply To ..]
After 5 years of stress, broke, beating my head against the wall with several MTSOs (each had their own way of decreasing pay or no work, etc.) I just did it. I QUIT. Guess what. The doctor said my health has never been better! Going to school full-time for a new career, and smelling the roses, instead of sitting in the house hitting head on walls. PS: No longer broke either. Govt paying me to get a new profession. Quit and see where it leads you if you are unhappy. Chances are an old door closes a new one opens! Good luck to you. You are not a loser if you quit, you are going on to a new better phase in life!

so NOT true.. - let go

[ In Reply To ..]
One has to know WHEN to quit, to let go.... this applies to every field, also personal fields. e.g. one has to know when it is time to get a divorce.....

While I agree - Lynn

[ In Reply To ..]
that I was making more money 12 years ago, I live in Michigan and right now is a really bad time to be even thinking of quitting any job (0: At least I am at home to raise my son while my husband works away. I figure it could be worse...

Quitting - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless you have another source of income, I wouldn't recommend quitting until you have something else lined up. If what I have been experiencing in my job search is any indication you are not going to waltz out of MT-land into another job without some additional education, even McDonald's and Wal-Mart are not hiring. Just call me employed but looking....

I suggest all MTs who are happy with their jobs - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Just ignore this message and not even reply. It's obvious that there are a few disgruntled posters, and some who have the very unfortunate circumstances of being out of work that they want to use this thread as a complaint thread. I say if it makes them feel better then more power to them.

If you mention to them that you like your job and you have to have a job to pay your bills they call you a suit and other names, and if you tell them you have no intention of quitting your job they call you a hypocrite and preachy. They have not answered the question yet of what it is they want you exactly to do (besides quit your job that is - yeah, like that's really going to teach your employee a lesson. They'll just get another MT or all companies will start offshoring all work to India and all MTs will be out of work.

People write that this is a good profession because it is. I have been at this work for 18 years now and I have learned to adapt to new systems and other things. Just comes along with part of the job. If people didn't adapt we'd still be listening to cassette tapes and typing on an IBM Selectric. This is a good profession because in an economy that is so uncertain and so many people out of work there is still a need for good MTs. But if you say anything like that they call you a suit or try to insult you some other way.

If you ask them what have they constructively done to better their situation they don't reply with an answer, but instead call you uncaring and preachy. I don't know any of these people, so I can't have them over for coffee, help them go over their resume's, give them information on companies or anything because all they are interested in is complaining without trying to find a solution. None of them have come on here and said "hey, I'm out of work, does anyone know of any company who is hiring".

Nobody is going to be able to help them. I and others like me should not have to justify ourselves and why we like our jobs. If all they want to do is post how miserable they are then I say let them have their thread.

You said, "I say let them have their thread." I say we don't. :) - I say we stay in the conversation

[ In Reply To ..]
Nope, I say we stay and present our own viewpoints. We just need to take more breaks from work (not really) and come over to present our point of view.

Okay - I agree with you there - see message - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
After I wrote the message and while working, I thought why should it just be one viewpoint. We have as much right to express that we are happy with our jobs. Everyone has a different situation. Some are happy, some not. Some do something about it and others don't.

But I guess I was just frustrated with reading a post that whenever someone wrote they were happy with their job they'd get called names like suit, etc.

I do believe this is one of the best careers to be in. It's something that will always be needed and if you move along with the times and adapt it's a good career choice. For some others it is not. I've been at it around 17 or so years and I like it. I've learned new systems and I do whatever it takes to stay employed. The economy is tough right now and I am the only one who works in my family, so I don't have the luxury to just tell me family I'm quitting work so I can "unite with all the others that are unhappy". I have to have a job if I want a place to live and food on my table". I don't just "throw caution to the wind" and do things and see where it takes me. The last time I did that was when I got married on a "whim". LOL (one of those vegas deals). Now I am more cautious of my choices. All I know is I like what I do, I like my job, I like my supervisor, I like the work I do, the hours I can make, I can work holidays and weekends if I want, etc. Out of all my jobs I've had in the past I like this the best. I have no hassles and I can work in my PJs if I so choose to. And if I ever lose my job for whatever reason I will pull myself up and spend my time looking instead of going to a board to gripe or complain. That just was not the way I was raised.

If people are unhappy they are the only ones who can help themselves. All I say is people have to make their own way. I've been out of work before and for a long time. It's not fun and it's downright scary, but I didn't go to boards telling other MTs to quit their jobs.

So, with that said and my break is over, yes, lets stay in the conversation. I'll just look past the insults and know people are scared about their future.
Don't ever think you are alone out here. There are others who are happily doing their work - Staying in the conversation
[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct. People are scared about their future, no matter what industry they are in or what jobs they do. This is a very tough time that we live in.

We are fortunate to have work and be able to live in our homes and put food on our tables. I am thankful for that.

Similar Messages:

Seriously, Is TT Trying To Get Everyone To Quit?
Jan 26, 2010

Not only can I not get up to speed flip flopping back and forth between traditional work and VR each and every report, not only did they cut my pay for this not so great new platform, not only can I not change accounts because there is no work on anything but my account, not only has production incentive gotten completely out of my reach, and not only is this year's insurance not actually what I signed up for, but now the latest? Seriously WHAT IS UP?  I can&# ...

BOO HOO -- Can I Quit?
Feb 01, 2010

This is the first time I am transcribing an intubation procedure.  The doctor keeps stating that he used an instrument "Glide slope."  I can only find a GlideScope.  Is he mispronouncing the name of this instrument, or is there a Glide Slope? ...

Anyone Who Has Quit MQ
Mar 15, 2010

Just curious how long it took to get your 401K. I'm thinking about quitting, taking the penalty for cashing in the 401K and living on the rest while I look for a new job. Probably not the best strategy, but this FTR thing is really making me crazy. TIA ...

Want To Quit
Apr 07, 2010

How much notice should I give? ...

What Happens To PTO If You Quit?
Jun 01, 2010

I am thinking about starting to look around for another job and was wondering if I need to use up my PTO before I quit or will it be paid out?  If I have PTO saved up and put in my notice will they find a way not to give it to me?  Thanks! ...

QUIT MQ
Jun 15, 2010

Does anyone know about how many people have quit MQ in the past 6 months or so?  It seems that things are going from bad to worse recently.   ...

Quit Job?
Jul 14, 2010

I am thinking about quiting my job at the hospital to try and work from home, but after reading some of the postings here i am wondering if that is such a good idea. Is there really a shortage of work out there? Do i dare take the chance?   jkl ...

Can You Get TAA If You Quit?
Jul 15, 2010

This job has become so impossible to make any money.  I am below min wage on SR, and now they are sending off a bunch of our accounts to Global.  I technically still have work and have not been laid off.  Is TAA possible if the company still has work for us to do?  Can part-time workers get this too or only full-timers?  Many thanks to anyone who answers this.  I did read some of the DOL website but could not find this info.  ...

Does MQ Pay Your PTO If You Quit?
Aug 13, 2010

Does anyone know if MQ is good about paying you for accumulated PTO if you quit or do you have to fight them for it? ...

About To Quit
Jan 05, 2011

I am about to quit MQ due to a health condition and was unable to find in MQCentral the Resignation policy anywhere. Can someone tell me where I can find it.   Thanks ...

MQ WANTS US TO QUIT
Jul 12, 2011

CBAY would prefer to outsource all of the work to India where they can get it done for much cheaper.  To top it off, we do QA for them thus training them to take our jobs!  I'm outta there! ...

I HAVE HAD IT AND I ALSO QUIT
Aug 17, 2011

The pay cut hit me hard last PP and now, this is the third day in a row that not even an hour into my shift I'm out of work.  I don't have any PTO to fall back on and the NJA rate is just as bad...  I went to a friend and practically begged for a job until I find something else.  I'll be cashiering and doing store clerk duties for a little more than 10 bucks an hour.  I feel silly, because he usually hires high school kids and kids in their 20s, you know a ...

Has Anyone Quit...
Aug 27, 2011

and gotten paid for your remaining PTO?  Just curious before I attempt to jump into something different.  Totally willing to work out a 2-week notice. ...

I QUIT!!
Sep 25, 2011

After 3 years of training, a paid internship and finally work as an MT I QUIT! What other profession has so many requirements with so little pay? No longer starry-eyed about this "fun, interesting work." I QUIT!! Maple Grandma   ...

DQS Just Quit?
Jun 05, 2012

My last job is sitting waiting to upload, and I just got an error message and booted off! Grrrrrr ...

How To Quit...
Sep 20, 2013

I'm juggling 2 MTSOs as an IC. I cannot sustain this for very long, the plan always was to stick with the better, more stable one and phase out the other one. At the first company (I'll just call it FC), the pickings were slim. They said that once I clear QA, I'll get a back up account and running out of work will not be an issue. But the volumes were so low that it took me nearly a month to get out of QA (last week). Then the second company called, a month after I tested for them ...

Why I Quit
Nov 21, 2013

Since the last thread is down the page I thought I would add this. I worked on very difficult accounts for the last 5 years and never had a problem with audits (failed 1 or 2 in 5 years). Then at the beginning of this month I was switched to a new BOB, was audited after 8 days on the account (98.1%) and immediately put on 100% QA which means I would be working for less than minimum wage. Since the vast majority of my work is above the 99.5% they arbitrarily require, they would be getting all ...

I Just Quit!
Apr 07, 2014

The stress is not worth it. My health is more important. I hope the rest of you who remain will be able to do whatever you need to do for yourself and your family - whether that means hanging in there, finding a new job, or being able to flat-out quit. No, I don't have another job, just took an early retirement. Getting older isn't so bad after all. ...

Has Anyone Ever Quit A Job Because They Kept You On
Jan 29, 2015

100% constantly?  I usually get released after a day or two, but am going on two weeks.  This is getting ridiculous only doing 5 reports a day.  Come on people.  I cannot pay the bills on $40 a week!! ...

How To Quit
Jan 29, 2015

Anyone know the process of how to quit Nuance....if we have to give 2-week notice?  My acceptance letter says "entitled to terminate employment at any time."  Lack of work, crazy pay structure makes it necessary to give this up and look elsewhere.  Thanks for any help/suggestions.  (My TSM never answers my emails so don't feel I can ask her.) ...

And I Can't Quit
Mar 03, 2015

I used to be very proud to be an MT. I loved my job. You know when we actually typed the reports (some of us even on typewriters with that black sheet in between the pages so you could "make copies lol) When we didn't have to worry that we might have too many blanks. When we didn't have to worry about our "inactive time."  When we were responsible for ourselves and admitted our errors instead of being "graded" like we were back in school and "held back" (PM) when we failed.   ...

Did Someone Else Quit
Mar 12, 2015

Did another editor/transcriptionist quit.  Overtime, extra incentives and stats for one hospital that I have not seen in a while.  Wonder what is going on?? ...

QUIT MICROMANAGING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 28, 2010

Audit feedback T'ing me off, sorry.  I fail to see how adding or leaving out "a" and "the" should be anywhere near a major category, downgrade or not.  Absolutely none of the "errors" I am being dinged for have any effect on patient care.  I completely reject audits as a valid assessment of my skill, especially since dictators are obviously not held to the same standard.  We are given too many sets of rules to follow. D* if you do, d* if you don't.  H ...

Quit Without Notice
Apr 10, 2010

I quit without notice.  I think if a company is professional and treat you as a professional they deserve the courtesy of notice.  However, I worked for a company where management and supervision would answer e-mail questions with "your question or message has been assigned a number.  Please refer to this number in future correspondence regarding this.  My GAWD.  Give me a break!  When I got an e-mail after I told them I was out of there asking me if I was ...

Question For Those Who Quit Or On Way Out
Aug 18, 2010

I finally got serious, got my resume together and started applying for other jobs.  Did you all put your current CCM's info down and give permission for the new potential job to contact them or not?  I feel stuck here- either say yes and have my CCM of all of 2 months hold the power because I have no idea what she will say (and I really don't want to tip my hand that I plan on leaving) or say no and have the new job question my reasoning for saying no.   I ...

Boy Am I Glad I Quit
Aug 19, 2010

Today is my last day with MQ (formerly Spheris) and I quit just in time.  I got the new MT Rewards Plan document and I don't know if everyone is affected the same but it would mean my pay would go down another 10%.  Are these folks just plain crazy or what? Good riddance to this whole company. ...

What Happens To Your 401K If You Quit?
Jan 02, 2011

I have a couple thousand dollars in it that I'd hate to lose.  I quit MQ and now am an IC, so I can't transfer it to another employer. So how does that work? ...

I Didn't Quit.
Feb 21, 2011

Well, I didn't quit. I talked it out with one of the other transcriptionists. It was an extremely busy day, especially for a holiday. I work on two hospital accounts. Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions. I'm gonna hang in a while longer. ...

I Really Think My MTSO Wants Us To All Quit
Feb 03, 2012

Is every MTSO in this field rotten, and do they really hate us? Does it bring them money to get people to quit and then rehire all the time? I am sure it is true.  I got a really high, close to perfect score on my QA all the time.  I type well above the standards.  I even went to part time so they would not have to pay me benefits and work all weekend every weekend to make sure I have work. Now again a hiring spree and even Friday  no work, except of course I get the worst ...

So Ready To Quit.
May 24, 2012

At this point I'd make more money waiting tables even though I'm older.  It's crazy.  With the VR I'm working double the hours for half the pay.  Not to mention there are 3 new QA's on my accounts and each want things done differently. I'm so fed up.  This is all I know but figure if an old dog can learn new tricks........... ...