A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Master Medical Editor - typer

Posted: May 07, 2010

Is it a good move to go into QA or should I stay where I am MT3?

not a good move - fyi

[ In Reply To ..]
Honestly if I could I would go back to being an MT/ME as being an MME sucks more and more money out of my pocket every blessid second that I work. I refuse to lose my benefits so I stay, but I look for new job every single day!!!!

MME - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I love being MME. I am definitely making more money than before and I don't get as bored either. The research you do to fill in some of the blanks makes the time fly by quicker. PLUS I never get NJA anymore.

MMEs should not need to be doing research. - They should know. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

MME - Research

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, please. Nobody knows EVERYTHING! I have been in this business for 26 years, and I am still learning new things.

What? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
That's very interesting. Obviously, you have never been an MT, or you wouldn't have come out with that statement. What, there are no new drugs coming out, no new surgical equipment, no obscure diseases that one might run into once in a lifetime?
MME - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
That is exactly the problem. MTs out there thinking they shouldn't have to do research. Depending on QA to do it for them. In my opinion, all these changes we are seeing is the MTSOs way of getting rid of those that think that think like that. Yes, we work on production and get paid by the line. However, we are still paid for a finished product. If we have to research sometimes to finish that product correctly, then that is part of the job, QA and MT alike.

And no my brain is not an encyclopedia. It cannot possibly hold all medications with correct dosages, all surgical equipment, all new diseases and which medications are used to treat those diseases. I am an MME because I can find those things quickly and easily and get the finished product to the client in perfect condition.

Please take note new MTs. If you want to stay in this business and be one of the ones who are paid well, DO NOT depend on QA to do your work for you. Learn how to RESEARCH efficiently and YOU will be in demand.
You're exactly right!!! I look forward to learning something new every day - ***
[ In Reply To ..]
I think that quality is the first and utmost important one for an MT.

Don't be a Debbie downer, no one knows all. - BUNION

[ In Reply To ..]
How arrogant! Amen

OMG! I cannot believe I just read this right. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
No research? Really? In the medical field? I'm sorry, but when I read your message I nearly fell out of my chair in hysterics. Can you really be an MT? Whether you're MT or QA, if you're not doing some research every now and then, you are NOT doing your job.

Maybe in a bakery or a convenience store, but here in the medical field I work in things are ALWAYS changing, daily even. MMEs and QAs are what they are because they are very good at finding things and hearing things others don't. It has absolutely nothing to do with KNOWING everything already. Although they probably do know more than most MTs.

MMEing cut my pay nearly in half, and I had to quit. - Another view

[ In Reply To ..]
x

How did this happen? - mqmme

[ In Reply To ..]
Not that I don't believe you, but I'm just sitting here confused. Didn't you get the 0.05 cpl increase for becoming MME? And now with FTR we are not getting as much QA to do, so we are basically back to trascribing/editing. Shouldn't you be making more than before, or at least the same?

Similar Messages:

Master Medical Editor Certification Exam
Jun 13, 2012

Does anyone know anything about the MME certification exam? I have searched for it on Google and cannot find anything. Thanks. ...

Master Editor Position Pay Range?
Jan 18, 2011

Anybody know? Is this a new job title for QA or is this position different?  If so, how is it different?  ...

Transitioning To Medical Editor - Fee??
Jan 09, 2011

I have had three large accounts for over 20 years.  One has gone completely automated with voice recognition (except for two providers who will never be able to use voice recognition - yay!), one is in the process of going EMR, and one hasn't even addressed it yet.  The first one has hired me to access their system directly (Centricity/Logician) and proofead every voice recognition-created record their providers create and make corrections as needed.  They hav ...

SoftScript Medical Editor Employees
Jun 06, 2013

Interested in feedback for any MTs currently working in positions of Medical Editors for SoftScript. They are poised to come into our hospital causing us to move from Nuance to Softscript platform. Heard SS has no Voice Recognition?? Can't be true, right? Huge technology step backwards if true. Can anyone currently working for SoftScript comment on their work experience for them and how much MEs are paid?   Thank you so much! ...

Medical Editor For Mmodal Able To Produce More Than 200 Lines Per Hour?
Jun 16, 2012

Is anyone who is a medical editor for Mmodal able to produce more than 200 lines per hour, and how do you do it? ...

Anyone Transition To MT/Editor To Copy Proofing Or Editing Non-medical?
Mar 09, 2015

Just wondering if anyone has been able to cross over to that field?  I'm currently working on my first proof/editing job for a novel written by a family member for free as a favor to them and really enjoy that type of work versus the structured MT/Editor work I've done for over a decade.  I would love to get out of MT all together if possible and was wondering if any of you were able to make that transition.  Thanks in advance! ...

Master Ticket From The Other Day
Jan 11, 2013

Did anyone every get the master ticket number from when it went down the other day?  My CCM said she would let us know when she got one but so far I haven't heard anything. ...

S/l Sternoclavo Master And Sjogren
Oct 14, 2009

Face is symmetric and moves normally. Palate and tongue are midline and move normally. Sternoclavo master and sjogren normal.     Dr. always gives the same examination, but today he throws in "sternoclavomasteransjogrennormal"  He says it so very fast, but when I slowed it down I am 80% sure he says sternoclavo master and Sjogren normal.. not sternoclavicular or muscle or such .. any ideas?   tia ...

Any Master Abbreviation List?
Sep 04, 2011

Ok, I notice people use a lot of abbreviations when they talk on here. Is there a list stating what the abbreviations are?   Stuff like MT, RN, QA, VR, MTSO, RMT, CMT, etc.   Yes, I'm a newb! I know some of the ones in my examples, but seriously, all of these abbreviations are driving me nuts! ...

Master Ticket Number?
Feb 25, 2014

Anyone receive a master ticket number for the downtime yet?  Haven't heard anything back from Remedy yet 3 hours after placing ticket. ...

Coder Pursuing BSN? Or Better A Master's In HIM? ??
Apr 04, 2014

Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field, professional background in management, then 10+ years in medical transcription, new coder.  Interested in future healthcare management.  Would a BSN/nursing degree be desireable?  Or better to pursue a second bachelor's or a Master's in HIM? Or ... other that I have not considered but should? Looking for insight or thoughts.   ...

Is There A Master Ticket Number?
Nov 12, 2014

x ...

Per BR: Master Ticket #99999
May 18, 2015

x ...

Master Ticket #639602 For Fluency Down
Jul 28, 2013

Anyone Have A Master Ticket Number? I'm On Hold!!
Oct 06, 2014

x ...

Her High Dose Of SSRI Would Most Likely Have S/l Un-master) Into A More Chronic Manic State.
Nov 19, 2009

thanks guys!!! ...

After 6 Mins I'm Putting In A Remedy Ticket & I Hope We Get A Master Ticket #...
May 18, 2015

x ...

MT To Editor
Feb 16, 2010

After over 21 years being an MT, I am burnt out and want to try something different.  Is there, in fact, anyone that will hire an MT without editing experience and train them ???? ...

EXT/editor?
Mar 28, 2010

Just wondering if this is a good VR platform?  Thinking of applying to a company that uses this.  Any information would be appreciated.  I hate the thought of going to VR but that is all the jobs that are out there and I need a job.  My previous employer just lost the account that I was working on. ...

ASR Editor
Sep 11, 2010

I know this is not the place to look for positive answers, but I am going to try anyway.  Worked for MQ years ago, but hated the punching in thing.  I have tested with them recently, as I want to get into the field of voice recognition editing.  Can anybody tell me about the part-time requirements, benefits, and the average line rate for editing?  How much of your time is editing and how much is doing actual typing?  What are the line requirements, and what happens if yo ...

QC Editor
May 06, 2011

Is anybody really making anything doing editing of work that somes from India.  I was offered 5 cents to do it and was wondering if that was good.  I have heard that the fixing of them reports are sometimes worse than the VR.  I strongly feel it should be kept here personally.  Any input would help in my decision.  ...

Editor
Aug 26, 2011

I wonder how hard it is to be an editor.  I checked transcriptionists work for years when I was inhouse.  I figured I could do it. ...

Editor Or Transcriptionist?
Oct 11, 2009

What do most people like, editing or transcribing? Just curious. ...

Editor Jobs
Aug 03, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knew of any entry level editor jobs. I do have about 6 months of experience, but I am not sure where to look for a editor job online. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great! Thanks Julie ...

Wondering About Editor Pay
Aug 06, 2010

Just wondering if anyone here does any transcription editing and if they do, how much they make.  sadly this was the only job i could find. ...

Are You A VR Editor...or VR Proofreader?
May 05, 2011

I'm not talking about the official proofreader positions that people hire in as.  I'm talking about VR "editing" - meaning, when you get those reports where VR does what it's supposed to, and you only need to add 1 comma, for instance, in the entire report - and you are zipping along at the 300-400 lph you were promised, as justification for the 50% pay cut on switch to VR...isn't that actually proofreading?? ...but what about those OTHER reports...the ones that re ...

First Job As Editor...I Am In Shock!
Apr 10, 2012

The reports I am reviewing are unbelievable!  It would be easier to have transcribed them myself.  Obviously, these reports were not transcribed by American MTs.  It has been a jaw-dropping experience so far!   ...

Letter To The Editor
May 23, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line defense against errors that can negatively and sometimes fatally affect you as a patient - physicians make mistakes. MTs ensure those errors do not end up in your Electronic Medical Record.  Healthcare consumers are you aware that local hospitals are outsourcing their work to what are kno ...

I See Proscript Has An Add For VR Editor S/m
Jun 05, 2012

I have been running out of work for about the last month now. Has anyone else had this problem? ...

Editor - What To Expect For Pay?
Aug 29, 2012

I am going for an interview for an editing position with a transcription company who outsources overseas. Can anyone tell me what to expect for pay? - Thanks, SL ...