A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Transitioning to Medical Editor - Fee?? - Herbpeddler

Posted: Jan 09, 2011

I have had three large accounts for over 20 years.  One has gone completely automated with voice recognition (except for two providers who will never be able to use voice recognition - yay!), one is in the process of going EMR, and one hasn't even addressed it yet. 

The first one has hired me to access their system directly (Centricity/Logician) and proofead every voice recognition-created record their providers create and make corrections as needed.  They have offered to pay me $.07 a line to do so (I was transcribing for $.14 a line - 65 character line with spaces).  Seems reasonable to me, but I haven't been able to find what the going rate is for this service.  The second office is now asking me what I would charge to perform such a service, and before I get too locked into a rate, I thought I'd ask around and see what you guys thought. 

Thank you in advance for any input you may have! 

Depends on platform. Might be basically retype whole report - or maybe just occasional correction. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

And would you want to retype for 1/2 what you get now? - And dont let them tell you, SM

[ In Reply To ..]
but the sales rep told us it was very easy to train. The sales rep probably has no idea what it takes to produce a medical document. Doubt ANY voice recognition is easy to train or works as wished for.

logical reply - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
7 cpl is more than any service is paying, but given you ARE the middle-man, I'd probably quote them a price of 9 and see if they balk. You do not edit twice as fast as you type in most instances, so cutting your pay in half won't necessarily mean your work is cut in half.

Fee - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
My doc asked me what I would charge if he used the VR on the system that they have. I said it would be exactly the same. He mentioned that it would be easier though since I wouldn't have to type, and I replied, that I still have to use the same skill set I do now, much like doctors used to put their head to the patient's chest to hear heart sounds once, now they use a stethoscope to "make it easier," but they don't charge less for the visit. Not the best analogy, but the best I could come up with on the fly, and he still pays me .14 cpl. It really bugs me that the pay on VR is so much less, when what the client is truly paying for in the end is the skill of MT not the fact that my fingers can hit a button. I hope that makes sense, it's early here for me.

MT the most important single service you provided - as a transcriptionist

[ In Reply To ..]
was the mechanical job of typing--getting the words on paper. Your medical language knowledge was an additional, critically important skill that allowed you to type them properly. Editors don't spend all that time and effort just getting the words on paper. Since I don't agree with your reasoning, well...hopefully over time your client will want to keep you happy more than to pay what colleagues say they do.

OP, editing varies in difficulty the same as transcription. Good luck figuring out rates that'll keep you all happy and stable for a long time.

Very Thought-Provoking Answers - Kim

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I see your reasoning, but I would feel bad taking the same rate for editing. It does take much less effort and can be done in about half the time. Dragon really doesn't do a bad job, and I am finding myself only fixing a few grammatical errors and some doozy word errors that are pretty comical (but not if they were in the official medical record)! I've been keeping some time logs to see how it converts hourly. It is a lot less strain on my hands, but I also find it is pretty intense to stare at the screen so intently, and I find myself having to take more breaks than if I were just typing the records.

most important-reply - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree to a point with what you say. However, I cannot type properly if I don't know that rectocele is NOT rectal seal, and that is what they are paying me for, not to just read it. I don't see how cutting my pay when my overhead still is the same is helpful to me as a business. My costs, in other words, are not going down so if I take less pay as an MTSO then I am losing money and I can't do that, unless I turn into a MTSO that pays its IC MTs crappy line wages to make up for the loss, which I don't do. They get .12 cpl across the board, VR or straight. My clients, and maybe I'm just lucky, do read the reports, do want them correct, and so they pay for that. On the other hand, I am always there, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, nonstop. I do see what you're saying though. I will stick to my prices and if they ever decide that it's too much money they are free to jump ship and there will be no hard feelings at all. By the time taxes, etc., are all taken out of that .14 cpl it's still not that much in any case and any less, I might as well go work somewhere in retail or the like and have a normal work shift with holidays off and vacations. :)

Think about it - cm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in the same position. I have two large clients and they are switching to VR. I have worked with these docs for 20+ years and they depend on me to clean up their dictation. I had been considering cutting my line rate from .14 to .07 but then how am I to pay my subcontractors? I simply cannot tell them they need to take a pay cut for doing the same or more work, although in a shorter time span?

More importantly, what if the editing turns out to be a mix of transcription and editing and is valued at more than .07 cpl, and what if that account grows, how are you going to pay subcontractors if there is no money in the budget to do that?

I would'nt settle for anything less than .10 cpl myself, just to give yourself wiggle room.

Similar Messages:

Master Medical Editor
May 07, 2010

Is it a good move to go into QA or should I stay where I am MT3? ...

SoftScript Medical Editor Employees
Jun 06, 2013

Interested in feedback for any MTs currently working in positions of Medical Editors for SoftScript. They are poised to come into our hospital causing us to move from Nuance to Softscript platform. Heard SS has no Voice Recognition?? Can't be true, right? Huge technology step backwards if true. Can anyone currently working for SoftScript comment on their work experience for them and how much MEs are paid?   Thank you so much! ...

Master Medical Editor Certification Exam
Jun 13, 2012

Does anyone know anything about the MME certification exam? I have searched for it on Google and cannot find anything. Thanks. ...

Medical Editor For Mmodal Able To Produce More Than 200 Lines Per Hour?
Jun 16, 2012

Is anyone who is a medical editor for Mmodal able to produce more than 200 lines per hour, and how do you do it? ...

Anyone Transition To MT/Editor To Copy Proofing Or Editing Non-medical?
Mar 09, 2015

Just wondering if anyone has been able to cross over to that field?  I'm currently working on my first proof/editing job for a novel written by a family member for free as a favor to them and really enjoy that type of work versus the structured MT/Editor work I've done for over a decade.  I would love to get out of MT all together if possible and was wondering if any of you were able to make that transition.  Thanks in advance! ...

Another Option For Transitioning From MT
Mar 24, 2010

Transcribing the dictation of various physician assistants made me wonder what was involved in becoming a PA, so I looked into the PA programs in my state.  I have a BA and already have all the science prereqs, so I decided to apply.  I'm retiring from my full-time job (not medical related) in April and wondered what I would do with myself with just my part-time MT job to keep me busy.  Now I know.  I start in the PA program with the summer session.  If you have a ...

Transitioning To A New Career
Jan 26, 2012

Anybody else switching careers right now?  I have started a training course for a new career and it is EXTREMELY difficult to continue with MT.  I just dread sitting at the computer, its like 8 hours of torture.  I went through this before when I changed careers to MT.  I cried everyday until I could leave my previous job.  I am not crying everyday now, not yet anyway.  Maybe its grief, leaving a job that I once loved, letting go, moving on.  I am considering c ...

Transitioning MTs - REVISED.
Jul 10, 2012

I'd like to suggest a forum devoted specifically to options for MTs looking to get out of transcription. Not for discussions of how bad it's gotten, etc., but a place where MTs can share (and easily find) concrete ideas (links, newspaper articles, etc.) for jobs or educational programs that might be a good fit for a new career for a medical transcriptionist. Or perhaps a board, a lot like a job board, with alphabetized listings or categorized by type of work. From what I can see, MTs a ...

Thinking Of Transitioning
Jun 22, 2013

I have been working as an MT since 2003.  I started out in-house, transitioned to home-based within my first year and was outsourced after 3 years.  The 1st few years were not bad working production but since then things have steadily gone downhill. I have been thinking about making the transition to coding and would like to get advice about whether or not it is worth doing and also any program/course/school recommendations.   ...

MT Transitioning Out And Nervous
Jan 25, 2014

Seeking advice from other MTs who are currently in school for another field or have already transitioned out of MT. One semester to go and I will hopefully be prepared to enter a career field that has nothing to do with MT. Problem is, I find myself worrying about working outside the home. I've been an at-home MT for almost 12 years. I have found a new enjoyment being around people in my classes and activities, but I'm so used to the home environment as my workplace. I am ge ...

Slowly, Might Be Transitioning Out Of MT....
Jun 20, 2014

I haven't posted much but am still employed as an MT at a place I actually llike, and even though my check only helps pay the bills, even that hasn't been enough lately.  So, starting in September, I got a job at my son's school district's cafeteria service.  It's only minimum, but I at least know, that minimum is what I will make and will have summer off as well as any days the district is off, plus will be elibigle for a raise (which I haven't seen ever) ...

Will Be Transitioning To ChartNet In A Few Weeks
Jan 15, 2014

Will be transitioning to ChartNet in a few weeks and am looking for input. It is really a speech WRECK program as so many people have posted? If so, is it because the program stinks or because the doctors stick at dictating? What's the approximate percentage of corrections that need to be made? How badly did your paycheck decrease? Or -- will I be able to keep a steady paycheck once I'm used to the program? Any input is appreciated. ...

DTS / Transcend - DTS Employees Transitioning To The New Company
May 11, 2011

I went through the Transcend orientation yesterday for (former) DTS employees transitioning to the new company.  It left me very, very, very sad.  Transcend's methodology is so different from DTS.  The requirement of the $900 per pay period of full-time employees will be so difficult to achieve on this new BeyondText speech recognition as my pay will be cut based on what other MTs have told me!!!  (That and IF the work is available which in the past with DTS has been very off and on.)  ...

Transitioning/the "queen Of OP Notes"
Jul 10, 2012

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here for years.  I'm facing transition: my per diem employer has transitioned to the Cerner EMR and for now, there's no work for me.  My primary employer is planning a move to an EMR late this year and my department head doesn't know what the implications will be for us.  The latter is a psych facility. I'd worked for Spheris for a year from home and MedQuist for about three years.  Before that, lots of in-house experien ...

MT To Editor
Feb 16, 2010

After over 21 years being an MT, I am burnt out and want to try something different.  Is there, in fact, anyone that will hire an MT without editing experience and train them ???? ...

EXT/editor?
Mar 28, 2010

Just wondering if this is a good VR platform?  Thinking of applying to a company that uses this.  Any information would be appreciated.  I hate the thought of going to VR but that is all the jobs that are out there and I need a job.  My previous employer just lost the account that I was working on. ...

ASR Editor
Sep 11, 2010

I know this is not the place to look for positive answers, but I am going to try anyway.  Worked for MQ years ago, but hated the punching in thing.  I have tested with them recently, as I want to get into the field of voice recognition editing.  Can anybody tell me about the part-time requirements, benefits, and the average line rate for editing?  How much of your time is editing and how much is doing actual typing?  What are the line requirements, and what happens if yo ...

QC Editor
May 06, 2011

Is anybody really making anything doing editing of work that somes from India.  I was offered 5 cents to do it and was wondering if that was good.  I have heard that the fixing of them reports are sometimes worse than the VR.  I strongly feel it should be kept here personally.  Any input would help in my decision.  ...

Editor
Aug 26, 2011

I wonder how hard it is to be an editor.  I checked transcriptionists work for years when I was inhouse.  I figured I could do it. ...

Editor Or Transcriptionist?
Oct 11, 2009

What do most people like, editing or transcribing? Just curious. ...

Editor Jobs
Aug 03, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knew of any entry level editor jobs. I do have about 6 months of experience, but I am not sure where to look for a editor job online. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great! Thanks Julie ...

Wondering About Editor Pay
Aug 06, 2010

Just wondering if anyone here does any transcription editing and if they do, how much they make.  sadly this was the only job i could find. ...

Are You A VR Editor...or VR Proofreader?
May 05, 2011

I'm not talking about the official proofreader positions that people hire in as.  I'm talking about VR "editing" - meaning, when you get those reports where VR does what it's supposed to, and you only need to add 1 comma, for instance, in the entire report - and you are zipping along at the 300-400 lph you were promised, as justification for the 50% pay cut on switch to VR...isn't that actually proofreading?? ...but what about those OTHER reports...the ones that re ...

First Job As Editor...I Am In Shock!
Apr 10, 2012

The reports I am reviewing are unbelievable!  It would be easier to have transcribed them myself.  Obviously, these reports were not transcribed by American MTs.  It has been a jaw-dropping experience so far!   ...

Letter To The Editor
May 23, 2012

Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line defense against errors that can negatively and sometimes fatally affect you as a patient - physicians make mistakes. MTs ensure those errors do not end up in your Electronic Medical Record.  Healthcare consumers are you aware that local hospitals are outsourcing their work to what are kno ...

I See Proscript Has An Add For VR Editor S/m
Jun 05, 2012

I have been running out of work for about the last month now. Has anyone else had this problem? ...

Editor - What To Expect For Pay?
Aug 29, 2012

I am going for an interview for an editing position with a transcription company who outsources overseas. Can anyone tell me what to expect for pay? - Thanks, SL ...

VR Editor On-line Course
Sep 03, 2012

I have been a radiology transcriptionist for 38 years, with so many companies going to VR, I am leaning towards taking an editor course.  Can you recommend an on-line course? Thank-you ...

QA Hourly And QC Editor
Jun 21, 2013

Does anyone know how much the hourly QA get paid and how much the QC editors make?? Also, if you know anything else about these positions, please share!!! ...

Wonder How Much A VR Editor Is Underpaid?
Jul 05, 2013

check this out.  This is what proofreaders make:http://www.theproofreaders.com/pricing.htm An FYI - 65-character line has an estimated 5 words. ...