A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MM's game plan? - sm

Posted: Apr 16, 2014

To get as many new transcription clients as possible, then sell them all on their Fluency One product, thereby doing away with the old fashioned back end transcription altogether. I mean, it really says something when your employer has developed a software program that can eliminate your job.

I am basing this opinion on the latest newsletter. - nm/op

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Based on my former employer doing just that, - & laying off all MTs, I think U R right.

[ In Reply To ..]
They switched to front-end VR, and within 2 weeks the docs were pointing and clicking, and we were sitting around reading magazines the last week before we were all laid off, en masse.

Pointing/clicking - oldie but goodie

[ In Reply To ..]
My PCP already does her own "transcription" and has for a few years now. She has the computer in the exam room, types, points/clicks as I am in there with her...I laughed and told her that was "my job".....transcriptionists are a dying breed....

When docs do that, they should be making OUR - wages, not what they make, because - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
what doctors do these days, with all their hunt-n-peck typing, scrolling, and point-n-clicking, does not even begin to be practicing medicine. Now their PAs do all that. They just type. So why do they deserve more than a transcriptionist's pay? Now they're doing OUR job, not theirs anymore.

Pointing and clicking - no name

[ In Reply To ..]
Used to work for MM. My new clinic went to EMR with a point and click method. The docs still dictate, I transcribe it in Word, copy and past it into the EMR report. Not a perfect world, but we are making it work!

um...why do you think they are training 85 new coders - every 6 months?????

[ In Reply To ..]
of course they are. Don't kid yourself. If you don't plan on applying for the coding program you need to be making a exit plan ASAP

Just wondering, how do you know they are - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
hiring 85 every 6 months? I thought that was a one-time thing they did?

The coding dept will be offshored soon enough too. That's certainly - no solution. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

yes but it will be at least 2 years out - they arent going to spend all this money

[ In Reply To ..]
and then just dump us trust me. they are spending so much in licensing and E books not to mention bonuses to the coders for completing the program.
It's a write-off during bankruptcy proceedings. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Sure they will. To them coders are just as - expendable as transcriptionists. N/M
[ In Reply To ..]

For us noobs can you explain? - please

[ In Reply To ..]
what is fluency one and what is the other person talking about having everyone learn coding instead? how is that game plan going to force us all out of our jobs?

fluency one is their version of epic....physicians - do most if not all of their own...

[ In Reply To ..]
Transcription, eliminating the need for back-end transcription, which is what we do. They are offering the coding program, if you qualify, to us, but it certainly isn't an option for everyone.

So MM made software like EPIC and are pushing that on clinics? - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
Is it possible to be completely shocked, yet not at all surprised at the same time?
No, they did not make their own Epic! - Informaticist
[ In Reply To ..]
People on this board seem to confuse Epic, and EHRs in general, with speech recognition software.

MM has a version of speech recognition software. It is capable of transcribing a doctor's dictation. It is NOT an EHR itself. It can type up a report and put it into an EHR, but it s not the EHR.
What they described above is like EPIC - software to bypass MTs
[ In Reply To ..]
Is that not what she said Fluency One is?

If that is the software MM is pushing on clients to ultimately bypass us completely, I see that as a problem.
EPIC is not "software to bypass MTs" - Informaticist
[ In Reply To ..]
EPIC is an electronic record. It is no more to "bypass MTs" than paper records are to bypass MTs."

MTs can still work with electronic records. Most of your work now goes into an EHR, but you just don't know it -- you think people still print out pages and cram them into folders.

Electronic records do a lot more than hold doctors' notes. You are just unaware of it because you have tunnel vision. You can't understand how there can be anything in the medical record besides what you, you, you produce.

You know, if you educated yourself about this instead of cooking up paranoid craziness, you would be a lot less miserable and unhappy.

Some of this is true - WXYZ
[ In Reply To ..]
However, many MTs, myself included, saw their transcription jobs become eliminated with the advent of Epic. Staff was reduced because so much info is templated now, and a lot of it is point and click. That, combined with voice recognition and outsourcing were nails in the coffin for traditional MT as we know it. I found another job working with Epic but truthfully I hate it and miss transcription every day; it is not much fun correcting other's mistakes when you could have done the work yourself and done it right the first time. I'm sure you have reason for saying that Epic was not created to bypass MTs, but I maintain that it was. Health care has unfortunately boiled down to saving bucks and cutting back or eliminating transcription was theoretically a way to do that. Anyone who uses Epic transcription might get totally frustrated unless they enjoy transcribing bits and pieces of reports and doing a lot of cutting and pasting. That is what transcription under Epic has become.
That view is self-focused - Informaticist
[ In Reply To ..]
The fact that your job changed with EHRs does not mean the EHR was intentionally developed to ruin your life. It wasn't created to save money by eliminating you. Epic is not the only EHR and not all EHRs behave like Epic.

Those views are self-absorbed and show an inability to see any side of the story but your own. You aren't even trying.

You seem to think that an EHR is just a pile of progress notes, but it is not.

If you don't like what you are doing, do something else.

Trying - WXYZ
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, you don't know me well enough to know whether I am trying or not. FYI, I am 60 years old and was laid off from MT at 58 after having the same job for 18 years. Yes, it was money driven. You were not at the meeting when management pointed out how much we were costing them per line and how much money they were saving on salaries and benefits by initiating Epic and sending the work out. I went to coding school. I accepted a QC job where I now correct the work of foreigners who work for pennies on the dollar; basically I am correcting the work of people who took my job. I know that the EHR is not a "pile of progress notes," I am not that stupid. I approach this from my experience because that is real for me. You speak like someone with a vested interest in EMR or someone who has never done transcription in their life. I'm counting the days until I can get out of this mess and retire. In the meantime, I am looking elsewhere for other jobs, but at my age starting over and "doing something else" is not as easy as it would appear. Speak not what you know not of.

Similar Messages:

With New Plan STM Stated 35% Of Our Team Would C Increase With New Comp Plan
Dec 04, 2014

This means 65% will see decrease and/or paid minimum wage. They are touting this as the great new comp  (local Burger King is advertising job for $10/hour).  Anyone find out if the QC percentage is just for blanks or include all sent to QA including Audio issues, etc, and will EQA be included.  Also, trying to figure out our pay from week to week is going to be a pain.  I am going to see how this new comp plan works out, but since the conference call, I'm not feeling pos ...

Not Playing This Game
Mar 16, 2010

I've been reading all the posts on here, I have read the emails from Medquist. I don't do this job for fun.  I do it to get paid.  If I have to spend all my time looking up old reports and trying to figure out what this doctor mumbled or that one said when his head was underwater, my line counts will go down...meaning less pay. And yet if I send blanks to the client that get audited and THEY think I could have found the information, I go back on 100% QA... hence less pay. ...

Getting Back In The Game?
Jun 13, 2010

So, I'm thinking of getting back into MT.  Lots of reasons to do so, but its been around 5 years, and I'm worried there are all kinds of meds, equipment, and changes that I'll feel lost and overwhelmed - again. Opinions? ...

The Blame Game
Oct 03, 2013

Nuance is all about selling their voice wreakognition product.  They will never take the blame for any and all of its failures, instead they will shift it to the MLS.  They decieve their clients leading them to believe that their software delivers quality at 99% to 100% accuracy.    Clients you hear that:  All aboard you ship of fools!     ...

FISH GAME
May 19, 2014

I don't get the scavenger hunt.  Are we supposed to name the five places on the fish where the headphones are? ...

What's The MT Game Today?
May 21, 2014

Anyone hear anything from HR today? ...

Transcend's Football Game
Sep 25, 2010

Is anyone else sick of reading the "football" updates?  How much time do you think they spend coming up with these motivational emails?  Seriously.  These things only motivate me to get my minimum lines in as quickly as possible so I can get off the system and away from these emails.  Reading their updates is like trying to listen to a football game on the radio.  I have to wonder what their ulterior motive is as to why they want the system emptied by 09/30.  Are w ...

Tired Of The Out Of Work Game
Jun 14, 2012

out of work, out of work, then at end of my shift, hey there's work and I'm expected to do it.  don't know how these companies get away with it, I only know if I don't do it, it's only going to hurt my paycheck and not theirs.  I'm exhausted. ...

Quit Watching The Game
Jan 19, 2014

That drives me crazy!!! Long pause .....Manning....Denver.......blah blah ...

What? No Fun MT Week Game Today?
May 20, 2014

I don't know why I bother but just wondered if anyone is playing Nuance games.  Not the everyday games but the MT week games. I have not entered previously since I am too busy with Nuance everyday games meant to defeat US MTs. ...

My Drink Game Word Was 'driving'
Oct 15, 2012

Low Work - Watch And Wait Game
May 05, 2013

Hey MTs: So concerned about my job, been a transcriber 30 years and now work is being taken by Epic and Dragon plus an outsource company at my hospital.  Should the transcribers be looking for other jobs ?  We are not told much from the "higher authorities" of what is going to happen, unless maybe they don't know yet.  Any input out there ? ...

Where Is The Email With Yesterday's Game Winners???
May 21, 2014

I actually played that one. lol ...

How About A Game Called MTSO Monopoly?
Aug 04, 2014

As fast as Nuance, M-Modal, and iMedX are buying up companies, someone should create a board game called MTSO Monopoly.  They can make little MT figures as game pieces, since we're the pawns in all of this! ...

New Game Lets Play Guess The ASR
May 24, 2015

Patient female with flattened Amy a "Patient came in with anemia." so very close ASR, so very close ...

Word Game On Comedy Stop Board
Dec 02, 2011

let's have some fun writing a song! ...

Anyone Here Have UHC HRA Plan?
Oct 01, 2012

I'm just curious as to how it works, as I may have to sign up for it at the end of the year.  How does the HRA account work and how do you get access to the funds when you need them?  I think I understand everything beyond that.  Just curious how the account is set up and how to get access to it.  ...

This Is My Plan-
Aug 28, 2013

I will check for work during my schedule. Work it if possible, if not, just use the no wrk excused absence comment. I am not going to work around the clock to try and make it up. Ridiculous. If you want to, that is okay, but seems crazy to ask people to do this.  Why don't the supervisors/TSMs have a call about this. We get an email, but never anyone to tell us directly about a change. I just cannot believe that they expect employees to try and make up the time. ...

New Pay Plan...cant We....sm
Oct 15, 2014

Cant we all write the guys who are on the e-mail we all got if in fact this turns out to be something bad? Flood their emails and desks? Ya know its too bad we cant get together 500+ MLS and go on strike... I would do it. If a ton of us went on strike and demanded fair wages and changes, with noone typing their reports for 48+ hours I think they'd listen. It kind of sounds like the pay will be the same even if they lower the base..... b/c if they lower the base rate but you get a tad extra ...

New Pay Plan...? Sm
Nov 30, 2014

Sounds like they are taking out the LPH requirements? Or am I the only 1 thinking this? Sounds like they take out the requirement for LPH. Now your lines may drop due to focusing more on QA/blanks/rereading,etc.  Normally that would lower your lines and lower your pay. Now it will lower your lines BUT you will send less to Q and have less mistakes so your pay will ultimately stay the same. This is how I am taking all of this. The only thing I am not getting is if we are going to have a base ...

New Pay Plan
Nov 30, 2014

Been thinking about this, and it's obvious we are all pretty much sunk. I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to post any info on getting financial assistance to learn another trade/skill. Am thinking pharmacy tech or medical assistant. Seems to me there is a government program that may help out with tuition/expenses, but cannot remember what it's called. Thanks in advance.   ...

The Plan
Dec 06, 2014

My son, who has a Master's Degree in Math, took a look at the 7-page explanation of the new compensation plan.   He said it was very confusing.  What the  ?    Not even a math expert can understand it?   Really?  I'm at a loss ;( ...

Even Though I Will Do Well With This New Pay Plan,
Dec 13, 2014

The abuse and the stress have gone beyond the pale. The people who put together this pay plan have no idea what it is like to work in the trenches. We have taken pride in our work and have loved the field of medical transcription, but they have made us hate it. They have caused us to make more mistakes. We are not focused on what we are doing at any given moment; we are focused on our overall scores and thinking about how we're going to make enough money to buy winter boots for our children ...

New Changes In Pay Plan
Feb 09, 2015

Did anybody get the email about the changes they are making.  We have longer time to request a reversal (big deal - they never approve them so really????) and now they can QA us for our 2 weeks rather than our 1 weeks which in my  opininon just gives them more time to pick apart which ones they want to check and find their errors to total up!!!  That is great idea. ...

New PTO Plan?
Feb 10, 2015

I thought they were going to roll out a new PTO plan first of the year? ...

New PTO Plan
Jun 09, 2015

Was told in a conference call a while back that they would revamping the PTO plan and would release or announce it on June 1.  Had not heard anything from my supervisor.  I know she said they would implement a buy back plan and that was all she knew.  Has any one else heard what further fun and games Nuisance has in store regarding our PTO?  And since I am asking, do you think they will mess with our 401(k) -- like no longer doing partially matching contributions? Counting t ...

Assessment And Plan Q
Oct 20, 2009

I have a dictator will dictate the Assessment/Plan with a number for the problem and a letter for the plan (1.  Gout.  A. Labs in the morning.  B.  Medication, 2.   Etc.  A. B., 3. A.)  I have always just ignored the letters she gives me and not put them, but I was wondering today if I am suppose to.  It is not a verbatim account and I never got in trouble for not putting them.  I tried looking this up in AAMT BOS but maybe I am not looking right ...

Help With Backup Plan
Dec 11, 2010

I hope someone can help me.  I know I need to back up my files (especially my work files, SH, etc.)  I see ads on TV about back up options, I have heard of other ways to do this as well, like an external drive.  My dilemma is that I don't know which is the best way to do this.  I have a Dell computer and every so often a box comes up and says backup not done.  I never click on it.  Does this mean I should have make a disk with everyone on it that I wa ...

PTO With Pay Plan Question
Dec 30, 2010

Does anyone know if the PTO we see as of today in teamwork is the correct remaining PTO for the rest of the year?  I was not sure if the pto we used previously in the period ending 12/26 is reflected in the current PTO in teamwork yet.   This is confusing me since we will get a 12/31 paycheck.  I know pto will not accumulate until next year but it looks like to me I did not lose any PTO even since taking a few hours ending the 26th.  any clues out there?  ...

Assessment And Plan
Jan 11, 2011

anyone hear of "SMACK" on the assessment and plan of a PE? ...