A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just for my struggling MTs at the Q - cheapgirl

Posted: Mar 11, 2010

I found this on the AOL home page this morning and after this weeks check, felt some of may find this handy.......
Cheapskate that I am, I shop one of two discount chains for staples every couple of weeks. On my latest trip, using off-label brands, I put together the following shopping list and menus. It's no-frills cuisine, and I use that term loosely, to be sure, but that's besides the point. It's a survival diet for someone on a constrained budget.
So hold your nose, cruise the aisles with me and away we go... (Note: Prices will vary depending upon where you live and shop.)

The shopping list

1 gallon of milk: $1.89
2 boxes store-brand cereal: $3.98
2 loaves of bread: $1.98
1 package hot dog buns: 89 cents
1 package hamburger buns: 89 cents
2 pounds spaghetti: $1.98
2 jars spaghetti sauce: $1.98
1 pound bologna: 99 cents
1 pound chopped ham: $1.99
2 pounds noodles: $1.98
1 pound butter: $1.89
1 bottle mustard: 69 cents
1 bottle ketchup: 89 cents
3 cans condensed soup : $1.77
1 pound ground beef: $1.99
1 pound hot dogs: 99 cents
6 pack of microwave popcorn: $1.69
2 1-pound bags frozen vegetables: $1.98
5 pound bag of potatoes: $1.98

Total before tax and coupons: $32.42

Now, let's see what our menu looks like.

Day One
Breakfast: 2 bowls of milk and cereal
Lunch: 1/2 pound buttered noodles and 2 sandwiches (your choice)
Dinner: 2 hot dogs, 2 potatoes 4 ounces vegetables
Snack: popcorn

Day Two
Breakfast: 2 bowls of milk and cereal
Lunch: 2 sandwiches and soup
Dinner: spaghetti

Day Three
Breakfast: 2 bowls milk and cereal
Lunch: 1/2 pound buttered noodles, 2 sandwiches
Dinner: 2 quarter-pound burgers, potatoes and 4 ounces vegetables

Day Four
Lunch: 2 sandwiches and soup
Dinner: 2 hot dogs, potatoes and 4 ounces vegetables

Day Five
Lunch: 1/2 pound buttered noodles and 2 sandwiches
Dinner: 2 quarter pound burgers, 2 potatoes and 4 ounces vegetables

Day Six
Lunch: soup and 2 sandwiches
Dinner: spaghetti

Day Seven
Lunch: 1/2 pound buttered noodles and 2 sandwiches
Dinner: 2 hot dogs 2 potatoes and 4 ounces vegetables.
Snacks: tonight we fast... or eat leftovers

One week of meals and snacks, done on under $35. The good news is that, yes, we have some leftovers as well. We should have half of a loaf of bread (at 20 slices per loaf), mustard, ketchup, two hot dogs, 3/4 of a bag of vegetables, two hot dog buns and four hamburger buns.

The bread items, refrigerated, should remain good for at least a week or more. That should cut our next food bill by approximately $4.40. Add that to the $2 we saved this week and the $2 we would have if we exactly duplicated our purchases in Week Two and we have an extra $8-$9 or so we can use to splurge.

don't forget - about coupons

[ In Reply To ..]
if you live where you have access to a major newspaper, it is worth it to buy a Sunday paper or 2 every week and keep ALL coupons so you can cut them out as you need them. It only works well if you religiously follow a good coupon blog so you can match sales, store coupons and BOGO offers with the stores in your area. Living in a state that doubles coupons is even better.

I have actually fed my family of 4 for $35 a week, but it takes time and effort to organize everything. You have to stock up on the basics as you go, stockpiling little by little each week so you don't ever end up paying full price. I have bought cereal for 50 cents a box, pasta for 19 cents a box and sauce for 50 cents a jar. These are name brands too.

I'm so glad you posted this because it gives us all a good idea of what can be done when necessary. We all need help right now, and anything we can do to help keep expenses under control is a good thing.

Coupons? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
While you have that Sunday paper, check out the classifieds and find yourself another job if things are so terrible for you and stop whining!!!

how in the world you got - whining out of my post

[ In Reply To ..]
is beyond me. Using coupons is smart. Using the paper to get a job....uh, not so smart.

Thanks for trying to stir up trouble, though. Not gonna work on me!
shopping with coupons really does work!!! - lda
[ In Reply To ..]
I also buy the Sunday paper, clip, and sort the coupons and save approximately $30 per trip to the store. I agree--using coupons is smart.
I apologize - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone but the title of your post mentioned that you were struggling at MedQuist. If I were struggling and not meeting my income requirements, I would start looking for another job. I've read post after negative post on this board in regard to Medquist and about how rotten things are for transcriptionists (I'm an MT and happy with my situation but I guess I'm in the minority) that I guess that just slipped out. Don't think I belong in this forum and again I apologize.

Wha? She gave WAY MORE helpful information - than your post.

[ In Reply To ..]
Why don't YOU find another BOARD to BULLY people on!

HINT: Take off rose colored glasses, open eyes, look at economy around you. THINGS ARE TOUGH FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE. Suggesting how to utilize coupons is a HELPFUL and KIND idea.

UNLIKE YOUR POST!

Bye!!!!!!
Wow! And I thought you splurged on the popcorn! - mrs.krabs
[ In Reply To ..]
Funny but yet not so funny. Maybe we should all eat Ramen soup for every meal.

Oh, I suppose you are living on lobster and steak? - Better yet, those 4 star restaurants?

[ In Reply To ..]
That cost 100.00 a pop between you and your loved one?

WOW! You mean get out of this career/field! Right? Because we all know if it was not for us MT's to begin with, you would not be where you are at today! Kiss my bologna.
I apologize - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Accept my apology or not, it is up to you. I don't work for an MTSO, I work on site. Of course I don't live on lobster and steak, I am a single income household. And yes, I am looking to get out of the field and doing what I need to do now to improve my skills and knowledgd. And you know what you can do with your bologna.
Still do not understand how coupon tips is whining? - I think it is good info for anyone.
[ In Reply To ..]
Helpful suggestions do not equal whining. People have websites dedicated to it.

And why be so mean to the poster? You response was nothing but anger. Why? I don't understand.

Sow seeds of kindness, and that is what you will reap.

Believe it.

I wish you the same compassion in return - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that you give other struggling MTs when you start getting NJA all the time because your accounts finally go to India.

I am a coupon nerd! - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I am one of those women who walk around the grocery store with a HUGE binder filled to overflowing with coupons!! We have a family of 5 (mother-in-law lives with us), and by waiting for things to go on sale and then using coupons on top of those sale items, I rarely pay more than $60-70 a week for over $200 worth of groceries. Stockpile, stockpile, stockpile!!!

also shop clearance sections - me

[ In Reply To ..]
you would be amazed at the things you can find on clearance, an usually if you have a coupon to go with it you can get it for super cheap or even free. I love wandering the aisles looking for bright orange stickers!

Cheapgirl - Another cheapie

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for posting this. Like you, I am on a tight food budget. I often think--and I invite my fellow victims of the Q-- to think about this, too: Do you suppose the management of MQ ever has to work out a food budget? Or do you suppose they eat at the country club? I think the latter, and I think they are making their fortunes on our backs.

thanks another cheapie! - cheapgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
Geez... I was just trying to help others and of course, it would start a brawl!

I was very careless in the past with money, and I don't care what situation you are in anymore, I just think we all need to save like crazy cause ya never know whats coming our way.

Not only the Q... everwhere. I just know if everyone comes up with 1 idea to help another, we all could benefit.

Sorry that trying to help caused a fight.

cheapgirl - I totally agree about saving and watching our $

[ In Reply To ..]
You did nothing wrong. I wish that person hadn't picked a fight over my original post suggesting coupon use. I was just trying to add on to your already helpful suggestions. Best wishes to you cheapgirl.

Great suggestions. - Alicia

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for good menu ideas and suggestions.

Also (saw this on the news and also featured on Oprah) there is an organization called Angel Food Ministries. Not just available for laid-off people--it is for everyone. They buy quality food in bulk and sell boxes of what they have available that week for half of grocery store costs. It is quality meat, fruits, pasta, all quality food at much less than grocery store prices. They offer a good selection but it has to be what they currently have available.

saving money is never a bad thing - NE MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I just recently had my electric company come out and do an audit for free and will be saving myself about 40% on my electric bill. Every little bit helps, especially since we dont' ever get raises and the cost of living keeps going up.
just curious - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
exactly how will you be saving? Do they give you tips on becoming more energy-efficient, or do they somehow take money off your bill? Elec. bill averages $250/mo, would love to save some money there!
basically tips - NE MT
[ In Reply To ..]
We through all the appliances in my house and ways to make them more efficent,changing the thermostat in the freezer and the water heater, unplugging/turning off things like phone chargers and VCRs and printers that pull energy when plugged in even if you aren't using them. The big energy sucker was my space heater and they gave me pamphlets on ones that use less energy and actually do a better job.

The audit was free and whatever I save on my bill will be like a little raise :)
Thanks - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

HELP!! Am Struggling With VR . . .
Feb 26, 2010

I am just getting torn apart with my VR.  I have never really worked it before and just started with a new co that wants you off qa the first week.  I am missing a lot of small words .  Any suggestions?  Or am I just not cut out for it? ...

Am I The Only One Struggling With My Job?
Feb 23, 2012

I started with a new company 2 months ago.  I've never done speech editing until now.  The headers are confusing but I make lots of notes, try every day to do this right.  I'll think I've done a good job but the next day, there's my reports showing mistakes.  I'll have multiple reports with A's but it only takes 1 or 2 C reports to bring down my average.  I'm not new at this, 30 years experience but I'm having second thoughts about ...

New MT, Struggling
Aug 06, 2013

I'm a recently graduated MT. I started working almost as soon as I graduated. I decided to work from home for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. But I also, unfortunately, have a problem when it comes to interacting with people, whether it be customers or coworkers. I have a tendency to say the wrong thing, even though I don't mean how it comes out. I'm very introverted and have a lot of social anxiety, so this exacerbates the problem. I thought all of this could be re ...

S/l Struggling Cicention
Apr 25, 2010

It is really difficult to tell about the right ventricular impulse, but he has struggling s/l cicention at 90 degrees. ...

Will This Help Struggling American MTs?
Apr 23, 2013

I saw this article on a new law being passed about outsourcing jobs http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-immigration-bill-could-slow-indian-outsourcers-092353134--finance.html     ...

Still Struggling With Required LPH. Sm
Dec 09, 2013

Have been on E5 for a year and unable maintain 186 lph. This is the first time in my 20+ years as an MT that it has been so hard to reach the required lines. Today I forced myself to sit in the chair and moved only to go to the bathroom a couple times, and a 1-minute stretch every hour (timed). Still only managed about 170 lph. The audio is pretty bad on my accounts, but still never had a problem with lines with poor audio at prior jobs. I do tend to double-listen now when there is a hitch in th ...

Struggling Newbie
Dec 26, 2013

Hey all.  I just started at Nuance on 11/18, straight outta school, although I'd done MT before getting formal instruction :( ANYWAY...I like working for this company, and I have 90 days to get my skill set up to snuff.  I've made progress, %-wise, like 98.37% but am still making dumb errors and getting not-good reviews.  Does anybody that's been doing MT for a while remember struggling in the beginning?  I'd love to hear a story about triumph over ad ...

Why Does It Feel If You're Struggling With LPH
Jun 27, 2014

As posted in a previous thread, due to over hiring, the rules for QCs have been changed and we are being closely monitored to be sure we have our LPH at the right level.  Why does it seem that, if you are struggling with that and doing all you can just to keep above the cutting point, that all of a sudden your email is FULL of Fiesa errors?   I HATE Fiesa with a passion.  I see those emails and just want to throw my hands up and quit.  I am already on edge with worrying ...

Struggling With Quality
Jul 14, 2014

Is anyone else struggling with quality.  I just can't keep up with the 99.6 and now 99.7.  I am on my "Written Performance Management" and know I am on the chopping block.  I am honestly hoping for unemployment and going back to school.  Would be nice to know I am not alone....this is too stressful!!!!   ...

MTSO's - Most Of You Are Struggling And You Don't Know Why.
Dec 13, 2014

There are three areas where many MTSO's run off the track: 1.  Poor recruiting, hiring and training practices. 2.  Poor supervision, from poor selection of supervisors to lack of training for new supervisors to failure to supervise your supervisors. 3.  Inadequate compensation.  Notice that I didn't say "not having the highest compensation".  Between "inadequate" and "the highest" there's a ton of room for ALL of you to improve, but you must AT LEAST co ...

Shorthand Help Needed Please. New To VR And Struggling.
Dec 28, 2010

can someone please tell me how or if there is a way I can get Shorthand to jump to end of word, insert comma, go to next word?  Sorry if I'm not making any sense!  As in a list of medications the VR is not putting in the commas and it's slowing me way down trying to ctrl right arrow backspace comma ctrl right arrow.  Working in M*Modal based program.  Thanks very very much! ...

Mmodal...anyone Else Struggling With Quality?
Jul 14, 2014

Is anyone else having trouble passing audits and maintaining the 99.7? ...

Struggling With Word Sounds Like Eczemthematis?
May 01, 2012

struggling with word sounds like eczemthematis? sentence is "Extremities were found to be free of any ? (eczemthematis) changes. ...

Line Counts - Struggling To Make 186 LPH
Jan 15, 2013

I am on  old Webmedx platform (I think it is Escription) and am struggling to make 186 LPH. Are any of you doing this? ...

Leap Of Faith - After Years Of Worrying And Struggling
Nov 23, 2010

After years of worrying and struggling to make ends meet working here and part time at a 24 hour store, I've decided to take my daughter's advice and move.  I applied for jobs in San Antonio and found an actual transcription job IN A HOSPITAL!  I'll be making a better than decent salary and will be getting actual benefits!  I'll be moving in with my daughter and her BF for a while, but we'll be house hunting soon as my place is sold.  I will also have the time now ...

Struggling To Make Weekly Linecount W/new System
Sep 27, 2013

My place of business has switched from a very streamlined transcription system to one that is VERY subpar.  Process to complete just 1 document is as follows: 1) When a new job comes up to be transcribed I have to first adjust settings and choose clinician, patient and corresponding DOS, type of document/letter, etc.  Then I have to work simultaeously with MS Word open - go to my template in Word (cause I had to make ALL NEW templates when we went to this new compa ...

Hoping To Inspire Some Of You That Are Struggling (long Post, Sorry!)
Mar 01, 2014

Hello all my fellow transcriptionists! I love this board. I have been coming here and reading most of the messages here for many years now, even though I haven't really been a 'medical' transcriptionist for about 4 or 5 years now. I love all your comments, feel for you when you share your frustrations, and gain insight into the changes that have continued to happen with medical transcription (in particular, with the MTSOs). I am heartbroken for the many of you that are work ...

Struggling To Make Line Count Every Pay Period
Apr 11, 2014

I have been here for two years and it seems like I am just struggling to make line count every pay period.  I feel like I am walking up a hill in a big wind storm, moving but not really getting anywhere.  I work nights and I am getting too tired at night.  I know most of this is my fault, but worked as an MT before and did great, no problems what so ever and great pay.  Does anyone else feel like this? ...

Struggling To Make Ends Meet. Anyone Know Who Pays Weekly?
Apr 08, 2013

any help is appreciated. i checked the archives but there is nothing very current.  ...