A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTSO's - Most of you are struggling and you don't know why. - READ THIS.

Posted: Dec 13, 2014

There are three areas where many MTSO's run off the track:

1.  Poor recruiting, hiring and training practices.

2.  Poor supervision, from poor selection of supervisors to lack of training for new supervisors to failure to supervise your supervisors.

3.  Inadequate compensation.  Notice that I didn't say "not having the highest compensation".  Between "inadequate" and "the highest" there's a ton of room for ALL of you to improve, but you must AT LEAST come up to "adequate" - where almost none of you are right now.

RECRUITING/HIRING/TRAINING:  Let's face it.  Most MTSO's are just "spagetti-throwers" when it comes to staffing, and that includes our largest companies.  You're burning your way through the MT labor pool, and NOT ONE OF YOU has the faintest idea what that unsophisticated management style is costing you - and yes, I do mean in actual dollars and cents.

Why?  More ads, more recruiters on the payroll, more training dollars, more low-production time for new people, more procedural errors that have to be addressed, it's all DOLLARS AND CENTS DOWN THE DRAIN.   If you think that a marginal line of transcription from a new recruit costs you the same as a marginal line (the NEXT line of transcription) from people with longevity, you're barking mad.

The staffing problems almost always start in recruiting, with a lack of complete transparency and forthrightness, and often blowing billows of smoke up the candidate's skirt.  Many of you think that it's necessary to be coy about your line rates - apparently believing this some kind of competitive advantage, or proprietary information.  Well, it's neither.  If you'd really like to know what constitutes competitive advantage (in terms of hiring), by rights I should make you submit a resume, fill out an application and take a test before I disclose this, but I won't.  

You won't like this, but if you're ready for it here it comes:  A COMPANY'S EARNED REPUTATION AS A GREAT EMPLOYER IS ITS COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE IN ANY LABOR MARKET. 

Not the line rate... 

...nor blowing smoke with glowing descriptions of your lovely company...

...nor proclaiming yourself to be "MT-friendly" (I love the "one-big-happy-family" line that so many of you use)...

...nor making recruiting claims that prove to be false...

...nor refusal to provide critical information that people should have EVEN BEFORE they're asked to submit resumes, fill out applications or test for your positions.  "NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!" - reallly?

I'll get into the other two items in another post, but suffice it to say that if you're failing in either of them, you aren't going to have that recruiting advantage that I noted above anyway.

Put it another way.  It's costing MTSO's a ton of money that they think they're saving by doing everything on the cheap.  Your companies don't run properly, you have MOUNTAINS of personnel problems that you wouldn't otherwise have, and it even impacts your ability to service your clients properly - just because you don't know how to run a company properly.

I suggest you remedy that shortcoming and do so as rapidly as possible, because it's tearing this industry apart and has resulted directly in the deterioration of the labor pool ON WHOM, VR OR NO VR, YOUR BOTTOM LINE STILL DEPENDS AND WILL DEPEND INTO THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. 

The fact is, a lot of you MTSO's wouldn't really care to work for your own company as an MT - and if you don't know why (I bet you do), you need to be finding out why.  It's Job One for you.

Here's a starter: 

1.  The fastest, least expensive line of transcription any company can produce is one that can be delivered directly to the client without needing to be touched more than once.

2.  The highest level of satisfaction that any company can deliver to its clients comes from complete reports delivered in a timely manner CONSISTENTLY.

Now, ask yourself who is most likely to give you that line, and who is going to generate those reports?  If you know the answer to that question, maybe you can figure things out from there.

Outstanding post. We need to offer the hospital clients - another option

[ In Reply To ..]
There HAS to be a way around the middleman who is largely ruining (for the most part) the once-good industry of transcription. I will state unequivocally that not all MTSOs are the same - many are good at what they do/how they manage their businesses. Unfortunately they don't represent any where near the majority...

The author of this post should consider starting his/her own company and fighting back against the march toward robots behind keyboards at the EXPENSIVE of accuracy. You are exactly the type of person who, even if you don't know all the answers, will work WITH THE MT'S to get it right.

To be fair to MTSOs not all of the problems are their doing, or in their power to fix. Remember in our haste to place blame we HAVE to remember some of the problem is associated with laws that regulate record keeping...

I am going to address the problem by seeking my own 'fix' - not sure what it will be, but I would rather get OUT of the business than be forced to work for less and less with higher and higher demands to produce VOLUME - and yet be expected to produce a 98.5-99% accurate product.

Living like this is not living.

Editing - my post

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is a mistake to think we are going to change MTSO's business practices at this point. There are TOO many factors at work here, and any frustrated MT who is not willing to consider the whole picture (and that means really trying to understand the dynamics at work) is not really concerned with seeking a solution, but merely venting, which feels good for about 2 minutes but won't pay any bills.

My sentiments - exactly...

[ In Reply To ..]
While I agree with the post, bottom line is apparently what we perceive as a dysfunctional system is still working for someone after all these years. I guess MTs will be working nearly for free before there is any real mass exodus, but by then VR will probably do 99% of the work.

Bottom line, the only ones who seem to care are the leftovers in this job who are just barely holding on for whatever reason. The hospitals don't care and the patients don't care and it still makes nice profits for a fortunate few at the top.

Better off spending time writing poetry, short fiction, Christmas cards or the best yet, a new resume.
As I see it there are but a - few options here
[ In Reply To ..]
1. Make the best of your situation by HONESTLY doing the very best you can. This means ACCEPTING what you have in front of you - maybe comparing yourself to people who are in far far far worse straights than you might help. It also might help if this is step ONE of your plan to eventually find work out side the industry. Knowing it is temporary can help IMMENSELY with a new focus EFFORT to make it for as long as you need to - and who knows you might just be one of the top MTs who CAN make it in this new world of MTing.

2. COMPETE with the MTSOs by either finding a niche for yourself and going on your own OR with a similar type business.

3. Leave the industry altogether if you have that option.

4. A combination of the above.

Good luck, Happy Holidays, and pass the CHAMPAGNE!! already.

Similar Messages:

HELP!! Am Struggling With VR . . .
Feb 26, 2010

I am just getting torn apart with my VR.  I have never really worked it before and just started with a new co that wants you off qa the first week.  I am missing a lot of small words .  Any suggestions?  Or am I just not cut out for it? ...

Just For My Struggling MTs At The Q
Mar 11, 2010

I found this on the AOL home page this morning and after this weeks check, felt some of may find this handy....... Cheapskate that I am, I shop one of two discount chains for staples every couple of weeks. On my latest trip, using off-label brands, I put together the following shopping list and menus. It's no-frills cuisine, and I use that term loosely, to be sure, but that's besides the point. It's a survival diet for someone on a constrained budget.So hold your nose, cruise the ...

Am I The Only One Struggling With My Job?
Feb 23, 2012

I started with a new company 2 months ago.  I've never done speech editing until now.  The headers are confusing but I make lots of notes, try every day to do this right.  I'll think I've done a good job but the next day, there's my reports showing mistakes.  I'll have multiple reports with A's but it only takes 1 or 2 C reports to bring down my average.  I'm not new at this, 30 years experience but I'm having second thoughts about ...

New MT, Struggling
Aug 06, 2013

I'm a recently graduated MT. I started working almost as soon as I graduated. I decided to work from home for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. But I also, unfortunately, have a problem when it comes to interacting with people, whether it be customers or coworkers. I have a tendency to say the wrong thing, even though I don't mean how it comes out. I'm very introverted and have a lot of social anxiety, so this exacerbates the problem. I thought all of this could be re ...

S/l Struggling Cicention
Apr 25, 2010

It is really difficult to tell about the right ventricular impulse, but he has struggling s/l cicention at 90 degrees. ...

Will This Help Struggling American MTs?
Apr 23, 2013

I saw this article on a new law being passed about outsourcing jobs http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-immigration-bill-could-slow-indian-outsourcers-092353134--finance.html     ...

Still Struggling With Required LPH. Sm
Dec 09, 2013

Have been on E5 for a year and unable maintain 186 lph. This is the first time in my 20+ years as an MT that it has been so hard to reach the required lines. Today I forced myself to sit in the chair and moved only to go to the bathroom a couple times, and a 1-minute stretch every hour (timed). Still only managed about 170 lph. The audio is pretty bad on my accounts, but still never had a problem with lines with poor audio at prior jobs. I do tend to double-listen now when there is a hitch in th ...

Struggling Newbie
Dec 26, 2013

Hey all.  I just started at Nuance on 11/18, straight outta school, although I'd done MT before getting formal instruction :( ANYWAY...I like working for this company, and I have 90 days to get my skill set up to snuff.  I've made progress, %-wise, like 98.37% but am still making dumb errors and getting not-good reviews.  Does anybody that's been doing MT for a while remember struggling in the beginning?  I'd love to hear a story about triumph over ad ...

Why Does It Feel If You're Struggling With LPH
Jun 27, 2014

As posted in a previous thread, due to over hiring, the rules for QCs have been changed and we are being closely monitored to be sure we have our LPH at the right level.  Why does it seem that, if you are struggling with that and doing all you can just to keep above the cutting point, that all of a sudden your email is FULL of Fiesa errors?   I HATE Fiesa with a passion.  I see those emails and just want to throw my hands up and quit.  I am already on edge with worrying ...

Struggling With Quality
Jul 14, 2014

Is anyone else struggling with quality.  I just can't keep up with the 99.6 and now 99.7.  I am on my "Written Performance Management" and know I am on the chopping block.  I am honestly hoping for unemployment and going back to school.  Would be nice to know I am not alone....this is too stressful!!!!   ...

Shorthand Help Needed Please. New To VR And Struggling.
Dec 28, 2010

can someone please tell me how or if there is a way I can get Shorthand to jump to end of word, insert comma, go to next word?  Sorry if I'm not making any sense!  As in a list of medications the VR is not putting in the commas and it's slowing me way down trying to ctrl right arrow backspace comma ctrl right arrow.  Working in M*Modal based program.  Thanks very very much! ...

Mmodal...anyone Else Struggling With Quality?
Jul 14, 2014

Is anyone else having trouble passing audits and maintaining the 99.7? ...

Struggling With Word Sounds Like Eczemthematis?
May 01, 2012

struggling with word sounds like eczemthematis? sentence is "Extremities were found to be free of any ? (eczemthematis) changes. ...

Line Counts - Struggling To Make 186 LPH
Jan 15, 2013

I am on  old Webmedx platform (I think it is Escription) and am struggling to make 186 LPH. Are any of you doing this? ...

Leap Of Faith - After Years Of Worrying And Struggling
Nov 23, 2010

After years of worrying and struggling to make ends meet working here and part time at a 24 hour store, I've decided to take my daughter's advice and move.  I applied for jobs in San Antonio and found an actual transcription job IN A HOSPITAL!  I'll be making a better than decent salary and will be getting actual benefits!  I'll be moving in with my daughter and her BF for a while, but we'll be house hunting soon as my place is sold.  I will also have the time now ...

Struggling To Make Weekly Linecount W/new System
Sep 27, 2013

My place of business has switched from a very streamlined transcription system to one that is VERY subpar.  Process to complete just 1 document is as follows: 1) When a new job comes up to be transcribed I have to first adjust settings and choose clinician, patient and corresponding DOS, type of document/letter, etc.  Then I have to work simultaeously with MS Word open - go to my template in Word (cause I had to make ALL NEW templates when we went to this new compa ...

Hoping To Inspire Some Of You That Are Struggling (long Post, Sorry!)
Mar 01, 2014

Hello all my fellow transcriptionists! I love this board. I have been coming here and reading most of the messages here for many years now, even though I haven't really been a 'medical' transcriptionist for about 4 or 5 years now. I love all your comments, feel for you when you share your frustrations, and gain insight into the changes that have continued to happen with medical transcription (in particular, with the MTSOs). I am heartbroken for the many of you that are work ...

Struggling To Make Line Count Every Pay Period
Apr 11, 2014

I have been here for two years and it seems like I am just struggling to make line count every pay period.  I feel like I am walking up a hill in a big wind storm, moving but not really getting anywhere.  I work nights and I am getting too tired at night.  I know most of this is my fault, but worked as an MT before and did great, no problems what so ever and great pay.  Does anyone else feel like this? ...

Struggling To Make Ends Meet. Anyone Know Who Pays Weekly?
Apr 08, 2013

any help is appreciated. i checked the archives but there is nothing very current.  ...

My New MTSO
Oct 04, 2010

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to post this on. I have a few questions pertaining to my new MTSO business. Any input or advice would be helpful. First of all, I need help with pricing. I charge my clients .12 per 65 character line. I believe that is the going rate for my area. I am wondering what to pay my transcriptionists and editors. I originally thought to pay my transcriptionists .08 per 65 character line and my editors .04 per 65 character line but then I wouldn't be making any pr ...

MTSO?
Oct 24, 2010

Hello Everyone, I have just recently found this board and I have a couple of questions.  I don't know where else to post it, so I hope I've put this on the right forum. What does MTSO mean? Why is there a Medquist specific forum on this board?  Is this site operated by Medquist? Just curious. ...

Does Your MTSO Tell You This And Do You Believe Them?
Mar 31, 2011

"You are a valued team member and we want you to be as successful as possible." ...

MTSO
Jul 19, 2011

If I owned a MTSO company, and if I were monitoring this board in order to glean comments made about my company, and if I were unhappy with what I read, I would do the following:  I would send a company-wide e-mail to my people asking for their input on what I could do to make things better for them and correct the problems aired on this board.   I would realize that there are companies that would make life difficult for MTs who dare to complain about an injustice and that they ne ...

New MTSO
Apr 24, 2013

Simply put...I need help.  I am a single mother.  I am a CMT and been in this lousy business over 20 years.  I have been job hunting out of this business almost a year now with no bites.  I had a dream job but was bought out by M Modal.  I went from abundant work to none on a daily basis.  I am truly struggling.  I know people who work for great companies keep it to themselves, for the fear of over hiring and no work.  I am truly asking for help in seeking ...

Been Qa At Many MTSO. Have Never Had Anyone Tell Me
May 14, 2013

tied to qa, N qa wouldnt have to be told how to edit either. ...

QT MTSO
Mar 23, 2014

Just wanted everyone to know that that owned QT might be around again, so please stay clear of this company. There are bad news and have a pretty awful history of burning accounts and MTs. Not the most ideal company or couple for that matter. LOL ...

MTSO Rates
Nov 23, 2009

Do you think the MTSOs cut their rates to their clients who are now using VR just as they have cut their MTs rates?  Seems that some MTSOs are scrambling for some reason to cut everyone's pay down (even their MT pay, not just ME pay).  I wonder if they are in over their heads with this new venture into VR and losing their arses and realizing it isn't quite the godsend everyone is making it out to be.  One can hope, and would serve them right! As far as MTSO rates are co ...

Nonpayment By An MTSO
Jan 03, 2010

How does one go about collecting money from a small MTSO who still owes me $1,049 for transcription I had done for them?  I quit working for them in May 2009 when I hadn't received payment.  I sent them several e-mails and they did pay me some of the money owed me.  Originally they owed me $2,049; paid me with one check for $500, then two more checks for $200 each, which were sent to me every few months in between.  They kept telling me they would pay me off the com ...

How Much Do You Think The MTSO Makes
Mar 20, 2010

If they are paying 8 CPL how much are they getting paid per line? Any general ideas? ...

10 Suggestions For All MTSO's:
Mar 24, 2010

To all MTSO's:1. Show us the money. You make tons of it. We know it. You know it. Try paying us more of it, and cheating us out of less of it.2. Simplify your transcription platforms. Every time you "improve" them, for some STRANGE reason, it gets harder and harder to do a day's work on them. Some software salesman has sure taken advantage of whoever in your company buys transcription software. Please. Develop some sales resistance.3. Let MTs working on a primary account STAY on that a ...