A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Struggling Newbie - sefrost53

Posted: Dec 26, 2013

Hey all.  I just started at Nuance on 11/18, straight outta school, although I'd done MT before getting formal instruction :( ANYWAY...I like working for this company, and I have 90 days to get my skill set up to snuff.  I've made progress, %-wise, like 98.37% but am still making dumb errors and getting not-good reviews.  Does anybody that's been doing MT for a while remember struggling in the beginning?  I'd love to hear a story about triumph over adversity!

Oh, Gosh - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I put a lot of blood and guts into this. Any of us (especially if you're doing acute care), remember the tears and pulling our hair out trying to understand all the accents. And that was when the business was good, like in before VR

I'm sorry to hear that anyone even wants to go into this business anymore----most of us are trying to get out---but as long as you're there, hang in there and know that the struggle is something we all went through.

I read her post on the company board, she is - 60 yrs old and probably

[ In Reply To ..]
just looking for something to do till she retires or maybe just looking for supplemental income. It didn't sound like she came into this looking to make a life-long career.

Walk a Mile In My Mocassins - sefrost53

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure why, but your reply sounds so deprecating. Just because I don't have X-many years left on the planet doesn't mean I shouldn't try to make a living. For one thing, I really enjoy the tasks involved with MT. At this point my SSI is going to be too small to live on, so I went into MT because age and infirmity won't count against me. I can perform this until I am physically unable to do it anymore. And what's wrong with supplementing one's income or doing something until one retires? Isn't that what everybody does, anyway? I studied hard just like everybody else, and I deserve to do this job. If I don't pass probation where I'm at, I'll keep working diligently until I learn enough and am good enough to stay in one place.
I agree sefrost53 - Old Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
That poster must think 60 is really, really old (not too old for a new career either) AND has no idea how little we get from Social Security. I am retired and my SS is not enough to live on either, so I work full time doing MT. They'll have to pry my old arthritic fingers off the keyboard when I go. I too say "walk a mile in our shoes."
You took that the wrong way - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
the above poster stated she is not sure why anyone would want to do this job or get started in this profession (or something to that effect). My response was that maybe you were looking to do something until retirement or for supplemental income. NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

I said it didn't sound like you were trying to make a life-long career out of it. In an earlier post you said you were 60 and typically by 65 or 67 you can retire. My husband is 58 so not insulting your age by any means. Which for the life of me, I cant understand what's the big deal with being 60? That's still pretty young other than the fact you will be able to retire soon.

As far as your infirmities, another plus in being an MT. As long as you can type and edit the companies don't discriminate. You really misunderstood my post. Not intended to be insulting in any form or fashion.
I can understand why the OP - said she
[ In Reply To ..]
felt demeaned by your original response. It did come off as demeaning and somewhat contemptuous. I don't blame her for feeling hurt by your remarks.
explanation - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
was totally necessary because I thought your response was snotty and arrogant.

Nearing 60 myself, I've done this for 40 years and am hoping somehow to get another 10 out of it, otherwise, not sure how I'll live.

To the OP- Make note of the errors you're making. Write them down. That helps reinforce them as you come across them while transcribing. And practice, practice, practice.
As I said, it was not intended that way. If you wanna continue - to beat a dead horse and
[ In Reply To ..]
throw insults around go right ahead, I wont be joining you.

To the OP, my apologies if my first post came off offensive.
Triumph over adversity - Anon2
[ In Reply To ..]
I've done MT forever, I do quality assessment now. I started in acute care straight out of school. I did a 3 month internship before I was hired. I had mentors and a great manager. However, when I made mistakes, I corrected my own errors or did things over until I got it right; no one permits people to do that on the job any more. I love words and language and I love to learn, so the more they threw at me the more I persisted. 93% would have never been good enough at any job I had. You said you did MT before so I have to question your previous employer's quality standards. You will improve if you persist but it does take time, and it also depends on Nuance and your client's patience. I would actually suggest trying to find a smaller company. They might permit more of a learning curve, QA might be more patient, and it might not be as easy to get lost in the shuffle as it would be at a big corporation.
Looking at the glass half full instead of half empty... - NoNegativeNellie
[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone has to weigh the pros and cons with every job situation as they relate to their own situation. For me, I have few options at this point in my life, and I actually am enjoying my job as an MT. Sure, I don't make a whole lot, but when I've ventured out into the job market, the positions offered to me in offices mostly paid less (not full time and no benefits, low hourly pay, even weekend shifts, audits (one company actually had QA checking every single paper and procedure I did all day long), etc.). Additionally, I would need to pay for gasoline and other expenses that I do not incur from home. I am too old to accumulate student loan debt, too. I personally hope to supplement my retirement income in just a few years with transcription/editing. I think that seems rather ideal really. It will give me something meaningful to do, challenge me, and help out financially. That's how I'm looking at things.

If I was younger and/or had children to support, etc., I'd probably choose differently, but this works for me and my situation.

By the way, if you dislike office politics, I'd shy away from MTStars as it tends to be an overall negative place. I'm going back to my rule of not visiting here. Seems I'm happier when I don't drop by.

Being a newbie is extremely tough and not just when you first start out, but at any point when you change accounts/platforms, etc., it can be challenging to get up to speed. In my experience, it gets better with persistence and focus.

Good luck to you!
bravo to you - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
as another 60 yr old MT, good for you! Helping yourself sure as heck beats a hand out to the government. I applaud your determination.

So what? And that means she can't ask for advice because of what exactly? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Here we go again...sigh - another thread turned nasty.
[ In Reply To ..]
So if somone makes a hurtful remark - we
[ In Reply To ..]
shouldn't call the poster on it because you think that makes a thread "nasty?" The nasty poster was the one who implied that a 60-yo has no right to expect to earn a living. The responses to that comment were not nasty, they were making it clear that that comment was unacceptable.

Or maybe you agree that people who are 60 years old do not have a right to be alive and earn a living.
get over it. people will speak the way they wish. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
No one is belittling, name-calling, swearing, etc.

so what? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Struggling sefrost53... - Please sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...as others have alluded to, struggling in the beginning is common--learning new platforms, client specifics, etc. Even tougher for a newbie like you because maybe you are still learning how to optimize online research and/or the expander. To steal from another poster, "practice, practice, practice."

IMHO, biggest problem you have is working for Nuance. We are coworkers. All I can advise is to blank ANYTHING questionable, try to not let FIESA rattle you, note any helpful QA/QC feedback. Above all, remember that something is very wrong with Nuance's QA system. I feel sorry for my QA/QC because, in general, they are helpful, but they also have to follow company rules and mark the stupid stuff (such as major error for possibly leaving out "any" (very fast talker) as in "not in any distress." Yep, that put patient care in jeopardy. I digress. Some of your "dumb errors" may be reversible, so make sure you challenge all questionable errors. Hopefully your platform allows you to re-listen. It may take time, but would prove to your TSM that you are not as bad as FIESA says you are. Do not be shy about this. Best of luck to you.

Struggling Newbie - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
What you are describing is fairly common among new MTs. It sounds like you have good motivation and want to learn. Back when I learned (right after the Civil War), I kept a little black notebook, took notes on everything, and reviewed them at the end of the day. Be patient with yourself. No error is a "dumb" error if you can learn from it. In this age of technology (and I have enough tech gadgets to qualify me as an old-lady geek), we sometimes hurry so fast we forget to be kind and patient with OURSELVES. I think you are going to make it. You have good motivation and are willing to work. Hang in there! It will get better. Happy New Year!

civil war?? HAAAAAAAAAAAA - LMAO

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Struggling - outahere

[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone struggles when they start in this profession. School only teaches you the basics. They DON'T teach you about disgusting dictators who are less educated than you even though they have extensive education. Our job is to make them look like they know what they're doing. Most of the don't follow HIPAA regulatios, yet we are charged with makig sure all documenttion reflects a high degree of intelligence of their part. We are the underpaid, abused, silent faction of the healthcare industry, and make no mistake, this is a for profit industry that caters to: #1. Insurance providers, healthcare provider and,last and least on the list of priorties, the patient. I've been in this business over 40 years. You have a long way to go being unhappy and frustrated. If the company you got your MT education from asssured you a yearly income of $30,000 or $40,000, they lied. They're in it to make money too. MTs are at the bottom of the food chain.

Similar Messages:

HELP!! Am Struggling With VR . . .
Feb 26, 2010

I am just getting torn apart with my VR.  I have never really worked it before and just started with a new co that wants you off qa the first week.  I am missing a lot of small words .  Any suggestions?  Or am I just not cut out for it? ...

Just For My Struggling MTs At The Q
Mar 11, 2010

I found this on the AOL home page this morning and after this weeks check, felt some of may find this handy....... Cheapskate that I am, I shop one of two discount chains for staples every couple of weeks. On my latest trip, using off-label brands, I put together the following shopping list and menus. It's no-frills cuisine, and I use that term loosely, to be sure, but that's besides the point. It's a survival diet for someone on a constrained budget.So hold your nose, cruise the ...

Am I The Only One Struggling With My Job?
Feb 23, 2012

I started with a new company 2 months ago.  I've never done speech editing until now.  The headers are confusing but I make lots of notes, try every day to do this right.  I'll think I've done a good job but the next day, there's my reports showing mistakes.  I'll have multiple reports with A's but it only takes 1 or 2 C reports to bring down my average.  I'm not new at this, 30 years experience but I'm having second thoughts about ...

New MT, Struggling
Aug 06, 2013

I'm a recently graduated MT. I started working almost as soon as I graduated. I decided to work from home for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. But I also, unfortunately, have a problem when it comes to interacting with people, whether it be customers or coworkers. I have a tendency to say the wrong thing, even though I don't mean how it comes out. I'm very introverted and have a lot of social anxiety, so this exacerbates the problem. I thought all of this could be re ...

S/l Struggling Cicention
Apr 25, 2010

It is really difficult to tell about the right ventricular impulse, but he has struggling s/l cicention at 90 degrees. ...

Will This Help Struggling American MTs?
Apr 23, 2013

I saw this article on a new law being passed about outsourcing jobs http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-immigration-bill-could-slow-indian-outsourcers-092353134--finance.html     ...

Still Struggling With Required LPH. Sm
Dec 09, 2013

Have been on E5 for a year and unable maintain 186 lph. This is the first time in my 20+ years as an MT that it has been so hard to reach the required lines. Today I forced myself to sit in the chair and moved only to go to the bathroom a couple times, and a 1-minute stretch every hour (timed). Still only managed about 170 lph. The audio is pretty bad on my accounts, but still never had a problem with lines with poor audio at prior jobs. I do tend to double-listen now when there is a hitch in th ...

Why Does It Feel If You're Struggling With LPH
Jun 27, 2014

As posted in a previous thread, due to over hiring, the rules for QCs have been changed and we are being closely monitored to be sure we have our LPH at the right level.  Why does it seem that, if you are struggling with that and doing all you can just to keep above the cutting point, that all of a sudden your email is FULL of Fiesa errors?   I HATE Fiesa with a passion.  I see those emails and just want to throw my hands up and quit.  I am already on edge with worrying ...

Struggling With Quality
Jul 14, 2014

Is anyone else struggling with quality.  I just can't keep up with the 99.6 and now 99.7.  I am on my "Written Performance Management" and know I am on the chopping block.  I am honestly hoping for unemployment and going back to school.  Would be nice to know I am not alone....this is too stressful!!!!   ...

MTSO's - Most Of You Are Struggling And You Don't Know Why.
Dec 13, 2014

There are three areas where many MTSO's run off the track: 1.  Poor recruiting, hiring and training practices. 2.  Poor supervision, from poor selection of supervisors to lack of training for new supervisors to failure to supervise your supervisors. 3.  Inadequate compensation.  Notice that I didn't say "not having the highest compensation".  Between "inadequate" and "the highest" there's a ton of room for ALL of you to improve, but you must AT LEAST co ...

Shorthand Help Needed Please. New To VR And Struggling.
Dec 28, 2010

can someone please tell me how or if there is a way I can get Shorthand to jump to end of word, insert comma, go to next word?  Sorry if I'm not making any sense!  As in a list of medications the VR is not putting in the commas and it's slowing me way down trying to ctrl right arrow backspace comma ctrl right arrow.  Working in M*Modal based program.  Thanks very very much! ...

Mmodal...anyone Else Struggling With Quality?
Jul 14, 2014

Is anyone else having trouble passing audits and maintaining the 99.7? ...

Struggling With Word Sounds Like Eczemthematis?
May 01, 2012

struggling with word sounds like eczemthematis? sentence is "Extremities were found to be free of any ? (eczemthematis) changes. ...

Line Counts - Struggling To Make 186 LPH
Jan 15, 2013

I am on  old Webmedx platform (I think it is Escription) and am struggling to make 186 LPH. Are any of you doing this? ...

Leap Of Faith - After Years Of Worrying And Struggling
Nov 23, 2010

After years of worrying and struggling to make ends meet working here and part time at a 24 hour store, I've decided to take my daughter's advice and move.  I applied for jobs in San Antonio and found an actual transcription job IN A HOSPITAL!  I'll be making a better than decent salary and will be getting actual benefits!  I'll be moving in with my daughter and her BF for a while, but we'll be house hunting soon as my place is sold.  I will also have the time now ...

Struggling To Make Weekly Linecount W/new System
Sep 27, 2013

My place of business has switched from a very streamlined transcription system to one that is VERY subpar.  Process to complete just 1 document is as follows: 1) When a new job comes up to be transcribed I have to first adjust settings and choose clinician, patient and corresponding DOS, type of document/letter, etc.  Then I have to work simultaeously with MS Word open - go to my template in Word (cause I had to make ALL NEW templates when we went to this new compa ...

Hoping To Inspire Some Of You That Are Struggling (long Post, Sorry!)
Mar 01, 2014

Hello all my fellow transcriptionists! I love this board. I have been coming here and reading most of the messages here for many years now, even though I haven't really been a 'medical' transcriptionist for about 4 or 5 years now. I love all your comments, feel for you when you share your frustrations, and gain insight into the changes that have continued to happen with medical transcription (in particular, with the MTSOs). I am heartbroken for the many of you that are work ...

Struggling To Make Line Count Every Pay Period
Apr 11, 2014

I have been here for two years and it seems like I am just struggling to make line count every pay period.  I feel like I am walking up a hill in a big wind storm, moving but not really getting anywhere.  I work nights and I am getting too tired at night.  I know most of this is my fault, but worked as an MT before and did great, no problems what so ever and great pay.  Does anyone else feel like this? ...

Struggling To Make Ends Meet. Anyone Know Who Pays Weekly?
Apr 08, 2013

any help is appreciated. i checked the archives but there is nothing very current.  ...