A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

HIPAA info from website and posts below - Dinosaur

Posted: Jan 14, 2010

I watched the HIPAA state law video last night and I have to admit, it ticked me off.  I have never in all my years in the business, ever met one MT who would even consider doing any of those things. The guy in a bar, I mean really?! Not too mention the QMZ seeking to buy movie star info (now that was a pretty lame cover for that company, and I don't think they buy information), In any case, the scenario was stupid.  I came to this board to vent but SusieQA beat me to it.  I thought about the test and the video and I agree with Shipwrecked, these are scare tactics. If MQ tells you something,it is always a good idea to check into it further because chances are you are only getting part of the picture.

SusieQA is also right, it was heavy on the "send to QA," but then they will get you for your submission rate.  There were several informative posts on this subject, one poster had law experience I believe, another spoke to an attorney.  Some say we MTs would be held responsible, some say the doctor/dictator would be responsible, some think the Q would be responsible.  All good points, but still many questions.

I really have to take issue with the ILPs, I have seen some of those reports come back after they have been through several offshore versions of QA, some of those mistakes would have killed the patient! So they signed the "we promise to follow HIPAA laws" paper, what does that mean to them? Absolutely nothing, because they know they will not be prosecuted for it.  In my post to SusieQA I included 2 links to stories that make this point loud and clear, one of which was a few people in India (floor supervisors) who were selling medical records of patients from a British hospital.  It is not the American MTs HIPAA needs to be concerned about, they need to focus their attention on other parts of the globe.

Since the Q gave us limited info (giving us just the scary stuff) I thought I would seek out more info on my own, and what better place than the HIPAA website.  The poster who spoke to their lawyer and stated that these new laws were mainly to protect the doctor and the hospital, so far I find to be correct.  There is a lot of information there and I have only been at it for several hours  since last night and just scratched the surface. I found a section that focused on patient rights and one of the things that surprised me was that you can ask your doctor not to share your private records with anyone else in the clinic/hospital but the doctor has the right to refuse to do so. How is that keeping my info private?  I have to admit, I have been focusing mostly on the BAA (the business associate thing) portion, but so far the doctor is golden. 

A few posters made mention about voice files.  It has been a while since my technical days, but the last I knew these systems run on memory, like our PCs.  They were designed to automatically delete voice files according to memory used.  If there was a lot of new dictation and the system needed memory it could delete transcribed voice files in a day or less to make room for new dictations.  If there was a very slow period, the voice files may be retained for up to 30 days.  The last I knew no voice file was permanent unless it was manually locked, and most of us know that the MQ minute is about 6 months, and by then the voice file has long since been deleted.  I can tell you now where that axe is going to fall. 

The link to the HIPAA site is below, it will bring up the BAA portion but you can navigate the site from there, but read it first, some very interesting info there.  If anyone finds something that would hold the doctor/dictator responsible, or gets us off the hook, please post it.  There is so much information there, it would take me 2 months to go through it all on my own.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/smaller_providers_and_businesses/index.html#bas

Again, I've been awake for too long, please forgive my mistakes.

Thanks for posting this my dear friend!!! - Maverick

[ In Reply To ..]
I still think that Union we tried to start before CBAY bought us would have been a lot better than dealing with all this current junk! Just does not seem like it is getting any better.

I will look into this HIPPA reading myself, but I have to admit, I think MT's are on our own and a Union would have been better for us, but again, that was in the past. If I find anything, I will post.

You do realize that by keeping voice files or other info on - your possession you violate HIPAA and company poli

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not your information to keep. Not only are there very specific company policies but HIPAA is very specific on your keeping that information, too.

If you're this bothered by all of these changes, perhaps you should go into another line of work. What better time than now with TAA retraining opportunities?

I was not talking about keeping - Dinosaur

[ In Reply To ..]
voice files on a personal PC, I was explaining the way the digital dictating system worked the last I knew. This would be the actual machine the doctor/medical personnel dictate on. These dictating systems were usually kept in a central location within the hospital or MQ. It has nothing to do with a personal computer, it is a completely different animal. My apologies if you found my post unclear.

I am not really bothered by these laws, for the most part they are pretty much the same as before, with a few changes. However, it is always a good idea to be well informed when it comes to laws that may effect you.

I see. Thank you clarifying! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

I WANT MY PERSONAL HIPAA INFO PUBLIC
Aug 23, 2012

When is it that our private information is so sacred.  How about posting online all my ailments.  Does it really matter?  Is it not coincidental that AAMT in their day, and others wanting $$, happened to push HIPAA through at a time when no one really cared?  It is a scam, just a department builder of jobs.  When is it that our ailments are so secret?  ...

Need Info On MTS Of Texas - Older Posts Are In Archive
Jul 28, 2010

Need to know if the situation has improved at MTS?   Would appreciate any elaboration by MTs who are there and making this company work for them.   Thank you - MT is Me ...

Any Current Info On Inscribe? All I See Are Older Posts
Aug 14, 2014

nm ...

HIPAA - Need A Quick Check On HIPAA Rules
Oct 29, 2009

Hi, I need a quick check on HIPAA rules.  With respect to the health care debate, I want to write to my senator, etc., about a situation with a patient I transcribed on.  The only info. I intend to give is that the patient was a:  Russian immigrant, on welfare and receiving Medicaid benefits--when he should not have.  He and his "sponsor(s)" was responsible for his care and living expenses.  Further, I transcribed a note in which the doctor said that this patient wanted to re-sched ...

Website Concerning MQ
May 06, 2010

As I am sitting around with NJA, I found this website called JobVent.com.  Very interesting.  Regarding MQ, the overwhelming response was very very negative.  No surprise there!  Anyone can go and post about the evil Q. ...

Well, So Much For HIPAA Law
Feb 04, 2011

My husband went in to have blood tests done for a new blood pressure medication he is on and when he left the house to get an RX filled, the nurse from the doctor's office called to tell him the results of his blood tests. Out of curiosity (testing the HIPAA thing), I asked her if his potassium level was okay and SHE TOLD ME that all his levels were fine except blood sugar was a little high! Not only that, I then asked her what new medication had been prescribed and SHE TOLD ME THAT ALSO! M ...

New Website
Dec 11, 2011

Hi all!  I just got my new website up.  Please check it out if you get a chance and let me know what you think!  It's for my at-home resume writing service..  It's something I've always odne on the side from being an MT.  Please understand, I am not trolling, or trying to sell anything, I am simply asking those who go to my website to let me know what they think.  I appreciate it.  I will take any critique of it that I can so I can improve it bec ...

Website?
Jun 21, 2012

Is there a website to search when I can only make out a partial drug name? I.e., the dr. dictates, "____-BOX-in 500 mg." Thanks! ...

HIPAA
Nov 23, 2012

I failed to cc a physician they said so I got a 3.0 deduction on a dictation.  First one I have ever got.  I haven't got an email or anything yet.  I just saw it on one of my corrections.  I haven't gotten anything from FIESA yet. ...

Came Across A Website
Jan 09, 2014

I came across this website. It's the top 5 growing careers that require no more than an associate's degree, which takes about 2 years. No time like the present. ...

Mt Stars Website
Oct 14, 2009

The website looks different.  Since when?  Why are there hardly any jobs under job seekers board? ...

Has Anyone Done The HIPAA Training?
Jan 03, 2010

Has anyone done the HIPAA training?  How was the test? ...

HIPAA Test
Jan 10, 2010

Could some kindly let me know where the HIPAA test is located in MQCentral.  Thanks! ...

Understanding HIPAA
Jan 21, 2010

I am trying to get a grasp on understanding HIPAA.  Does anyone have any suggestions where I can find "easy-to-understand" HIPAA rules?  I have a doct that I type his documents in Word and print them to letterhead for him and then hand-deliver them myself to his office.  Is this breaking HIPAA rules?  I just need to know what I have to be doing to be HIPAA-compliant and not aware of the facts.  Thanks for any input! ...

Regarding HIPAA - This Is Important For MTs
Jan 28, 2010

if we are to be held responsible for any kind of so-called 'security breach' which can be so easily manipulated to either just get ridf US MTs or at least make life a iving ____ for those of us left in these jobs (for example, if your reports are not 100% perfect - because 98-100% would no longer make sense because an error is an error and all are a security risk and breach - (this is so ridiculous I almost cannot even write it)); however, an MT can and will be fired for such?  Im ...

Website That Would Be Of Interest To
May 28, 2010

I think it was Kiki who was considering taking on op notes ?  This is a great website to look up standard procedures and become familiar with the vocab:  http://mtsamples.com/ ...

Question About HIPAA
May 29, 2010

I had to take my 18 year old daughter to the ER the other night because she cut her finger (not seriously thank goodness).  Being a medical transcriptionist I was rather surprised, she was not given any type of HIPAA form to sign, was not told anything about HIPAA, I thought everyone had to sign one.  I always have received a form when I went to the doctor or the hospital but she signed absolutely nothing.  Is this something new or is it a HIPAA violation since she did not sign an ...

People PLEASE...it Is HIPAA
Jun 16, 2010

Writing to your congressman and complaining to your companies about HIPPA makes you look like an idiot. ...

Website Needed
Sep 15, 2010

I came across a website this past summer from someone that posted on MTstars and cannot find it again.  It stated that if you were a graduate from another school you could still take some courses or mentoring from them to beef up your resume.  Please, if you know what I am talking about, let me know what it was.  This is driving me nuts!!! ...

What Is The MTTest Website?
Oct 19, 2010

I'm a recent MT grad. and was wondering how this website works? Are there any websites that offer practice tests that are similar to the type online companies use? I haven't taken any online tests yet and wonder do most companies let you use a foot pedal? Or do they use the F1, F2 etc. commands? thanks for any advice! ...

Found On DSG Website
Feb 04, 2011

while looking to respond to a job opening that they have a "Director International Transcriptionist Operations," is this meaning they outsource?  ...

HIPAA And Archiving
Feb 28, 2011

I've searched and searched and can't find an answer.  Is there a HIPAA rule that dictates how long voice files, particularly voice recognition files, are supposed to be kept in archive?  Thanks for any help or pointing me in the right direction   ...

HIPAA Violations ...
Apr 01, 2011

First of all....isn't any medical report being typed out of our country by a another country that isn't required to follow HIPAA regulations.....well a HIPAA violation?  Not to mention a potential homeland security risk! Secondly, is anyone else bothered by being instructed to type the patient's name in the body of a report?  According to HIPAA regulations, the patient's name is NOT to be typed in the body of any medical report.  We are all violating HIPAA by doing this ...

Is There Anywhere On MQ Website Or DocQscribe
Apr 13, 2011

to find a list of keyboard shortcuts. ...

Drug Website
May 31, 2011

someone recently posted a website which listed daily new drugs and their uses.  anyone know the site?  I wrote it down and of course lost it.   ...

Ultipro Website
Feb 08, 2012

Is anyone else having trouble getting into Ultipro?  I can't get the website to load.  I emailed my CCM who told me she can get in and to call the help desk.  I don't have their number.  Does anyone have it?  TIA! ...

Is The Ultipro Website Down?
Feb 11, 2012

x ...

HIPAA VIOLATIONS
Jun 13, 2012

So, my ex-husband of 15 years called my and my son's doctor's office and gets all of our medical and billing information (son is 21).  Takes those documents and files suit in court against me using the documents he obtained fraudulently to claim that I have lied about the cost of our son's medical bills (he has been ordered three times to to pay 50% of those costs which only amount to about $2,800).  Y'all get that?  He committed fraud in order to prove that I have committ ...

Company Website
Jun 21, 2012

MM website acting up and on home page there is a somewhat smart aleck answer. Hmmmm ...

NTS India Website
Jul 16, 2012

I checked out the NTS India website and was very interested about the pay they quote for an independent contractor. The values are in paise, which convert to 100 in a rupee. A rupee is 0.02 US dollars. For transcribing 30,000 to infinity lines on the day shift one would be paid 200 paise or 2 rupees, which would be 0.04 cents per line US. For speech 30,000 to infinity lines one would be paid 100 paise or 1 rupee, which would be 0.02 cents per line. These are the rates for >=99%, which I am as ...