A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

From Associated Press 3 hours ago -- - no name

Posted: Apr 23, 2012

"A weak labor market already has left half of young college graduates either jobless or underemployed in positions that don't fully use their skills and knowledge.

Young adults with bachelor's degrees are increasingly scraping by in lower-wage jobs — waiter or waitress, bartender, retail clerk or receptionist, for example — and that's confounding their hopes a degree would pay off despite higher tuition and mounting student loans."

This is what makes me very, very cautious about trying to "go back to school."  If a young college grad cannot find a job, seems it would be much harder for an almost 60 year-old to compete.  Everybody on here keeps saying "get out of the field," but it sounds like a very daunting task.  At least we know this field and are qualified to do it. 

job market - ann

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a friend who got a job working in the cafeteria at the hospital. From here, she was recruited and worked as an admission clerk, and now she has been recruited to work in the cardiac unit, and they are teaching her how to do EKGs. She is 59. Why? She has a great work ethic, is pleasant and a trouble shooter.

A friend of mine graduated from a 3-year diploma RN program years ago. (no bachelor's) She went to work in Texas and worked on the unit with the famous Dr. DeBakey. She was recruited by him, he would not operate without her, and insisted when opening a new heart wing that she be in charge (administrators balked because she had no degree, but she got the job). She has since gotten that degree and still works at Texas Children's Cardiac unit. She said they PREFER older RNs and ward clerks, etc as in most cases their work ethic is so much better.

My point? Don't sell yourself and your talents short. They have beaten us down over the years, myself included. It might take a while but APPLY, get your resume spiffed up, maybe get the help of someone to make it shine, and TRY. I am applying right now for an in house job as an admission clerk. Hourly pay will be higher than what I am making, and benefits that cost less than 1/2 of here, and my foot will be in the door to look for other opportunities. Hold your head high and value yourself!!

Job Market - Jeani44

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 68 years old and feel my work ethic is very good. In the hospital where I work (?), my hours have been cut. I was a PDN worker more or less PRN although I have worked pretty much a regular schedule for 5+ years as a medical transcriptionist/editor. Now, my hours have been cut drastically. I have only worked two days in the month of April. To the person who first posted, I wondered why all these college loans with students graduating and no jobs or having to take menial jobs outside their area of expertise. I am trying to draw unemployment since my hours have been cut, BUT do not know if I should apply for other positions since I am still on the PDN roster at hospital where I work. I have not been terminated and I have not resigned. Any comments appreciated.

Suze Orman's recent comments - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Recently in an interview, financial expert Suze Orman made the remark that she can foresee a day coming in the near future when "working for a company/corporation" will be a thing of the past. She went on to say that because of the current economic climate and mass lay-offs and off-shoring of American companies, that the result is that millions of Americans are turning to building their own companies using their innate talents or specific skill sets to earn income and to secure their own financial future - this is one of the biggest secrets of success to websites like "Etsy" where people market their own handmade goods and baked items to potential customers around the globe. This also includes people turning to basic trades such as home chef, housekeeping and nanny services. It appears that people - even highly educated and degreed ones - are turning away from corporate America in droves due to a weakening work force and FAR fewer openings with reasonable pay and/or benefits packages and turning instead to controlling their own future by developing and marketing their own skills and talents.

I *totally* agree with her. I know one woman who took a $20, 4-class cake decorating course at Michael's Arts and Crafts store and is now building a cake and dessert decorating business. She also makes specialty candies for parties and events that she learned how to make from buying a $15 candy-making cookbook at Barnes and Noble. The best part? SHE ABSOLUTELY LOVES IT and wouldn't go back to her office job for *anything*.

The Economist has a much better forecast than that we should - all make widgets and sell them to each other. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The third manufacturing revolution, coming soon to a factory near you. Maybe even to home offices. In any case, the factory worker of the future will be working at a computer, but highly skilled and significantly better paid. This is already happening, BTW, it's just not the norm yet. Classes in using computers taken now would be helpful in any number of existing jobs even as they prepared one for many new jobs coming along for those ready for them.

http://www.economist.com/node/21553017

Sure it's a daunting task - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
but many young college graduates are trying for glamour jobs for which there is no demand. If you do some research first to find out which fields are hiring, you may have more success. If you don't try, you will never know. And you need to remember that this job is going nowhere.

with age comes wisdom and more - MT Gone

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey,all you so-called "older" ladies out there. Don't give up the ship, YOU have skills, work ethic, and dedication. I'm over 50 and left being an MT 8 months ago. My new employer says he prefers "mature" workers. We have less "drama" and a better work ethic than many younger folks. Use your AGE to your advantage. I even make sure to let them know I don't have kid issues (illness, sitters, school) to deal with (no children by choice,) I'm single (never married) and my home life is stable. So work your age to your advantage!!! As someone posted below too many new grads are holding out for the glamour job for the first job. They have yet to realize "life don't happen that way." Get out there, back among people...make connections and network, network, network. Step out of your realm of comfort. Show M*Modal YOU ARE worth more and there ARE employers who realize it. Good luck to you all!

Similar Messages:

Is X-Press Transcription Still Around?
Jun 10, 2011

Used to work for them a few years ago.  Wonder if they are still in business.  TIA ...

Press Releases Today About MQ
Nov 30, 2009

MedQuist Features SpeechQ VTB for Radiology Solution at RSNA Convention http://finance.yahoo.com/news/MedQuist-Features-SpeechQ-VTB-prnews-3805469299.html?x=0&.v=1 and MedQuist Signs Agreement Extending Use of Real-Time Speech Recognition Engine to Wide Range of Medical Specialties http://finance.yahoo.com/news/MedQuist-Signs-Agreement-prnews-1121285217.html?x=0&.v=1 Don't work there anymore but thought you guys would be interested.   ...

Press Release From Today
Jan 24, 2012

Press release about Medquist Holdings becoming M*Modal dated today, January 24, 2012, from the new M*Modal website:    http://208.88.43.37/mm_press/medquist-holdings-becomes-mmodal/ ...

X-Press Transcription (radiology)
Apr 06, 2012

Does anyone have any current information on X-Press Transcription?  Pay? (e-mail me if preferred) ...

X-press Transcription Info
Apr 13, 2012

Can anyone help with info on X-press Transcription? ...

Anybody Else Get A Laugh From The Press Announcement?
May 09, 2012

OOOHH.  Big announcement today, join us.  For what?  DocQscribe just renamed?  Forgive me if I am not excited, sounds like a disappointing regift to me.  In fact, it is probably better they change it to Fluency or whatever because on my new MM computer sent for the upgrade to DocQscribe 7 they spelled the program as DoQscribe.  No kidding.  Be on the watch out for more pictures of corporate parties I am sure because to some people this is a big deal.  ...

X-press Transcription Still Exists
Sep 12, 2012

Anyone out there know if X-press Transcription still exists?  I came across this company in an internet search for radiology transcription.  Also, anyone know of any companies hiring strictly for radiology? TIA ...

Press Release-final Today!
Apr 26, 2012

http://www.tradershuddle.com/20120426438457/Press-Releases/nuance-successfully-completes-tender-offer-for-transcend-common-stock.html Nuance Successfully Completes Tender Offer for Transcend Common Stock DetailsPublished on Thursday, 26 April 2012 08:20 Written by TradersHuddle Staff BURLINGTON, Mass.-( Business Wire )- Nuance Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN), a leading provider of voice and language solutions, today announced the successful completion of the cash tender offer by its who ...

Bayscribe Open The Word Expander You Press Ctl F3?
Sep 16, 2011

I was told that to open the word expander you press ctl F3, but when I do this, it brings up my battery life. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

Nuance Acquires Webmedx And MTEC--press Release
Jul 14, 2011

http://www.nuance.com/company/news-room/press-releases/NC_017438 It's a sad day.    ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

SPHERIS ON AUCTION BLOCK TODAY - Transcend Submits Bid To Acquire Spheris - See Press Release
Apr 13, 2010

HOT OFF THE PRESS SEE BELOW     Transcend Submits Bid to Acquire Spheris     ATLANTA, Apr 09, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- TRANSCEND SERVICES, INC. /quotes/comstock/15*!trcr/quotes/nls/trcr (TRCR 17.43, +0.13, +0.75%) , the third largest provider of medical transcription services to the U.S. healthcare market, announced today that it has submitted a bid to acquire substantially all of the assets of Nashville, Tennessee-based Spheris, Inc. and the stock of ...

Is It Possible To Get 40 Hours' Work In 40 Hours?
Aug 09, 2014

If it takes more, how many more? I realize this is an answer dependent on many factors, but I'm talking in general terms. Thank you. ...

Less Than 24 Hours PT??
Nov 20, 2009

I understand with 24 hours you get PTO, but can you be scheduled for less than 24. That is a lot for a PT position. Most companies only require 20 per week. ...

Q8h Or Every Eight Hours?
Mar 12, 2010

Which is correct? I thought I had remembered something from the BOS (which I can't find in my office right now) that said if the dictator said q 8 hours then it should be spelled out as every eight hours. Is that correct or am I losing my mind? ...

Best Hours
Aug 28, 2010

I know there are so many on here who are fed up with Medquist.  But, can anyone tell me if there is any shift or days that work is usually available?  Overnight shift?  Evenings?  I have 2 friends who work for MQ and they are not out of jobs when they work.  (well, that's what they tell me).  They said it actually just depends on the account.   Is anybody here OK with MQ, maybe not perfectly happy, but not destitute either?  TIA ...

Every 4 Hours
Jun 29, 2011

so can someone clear me up about how to type q4h   ?? (as in every 4 hours).    thanks! ...

Only 8 Hours...
Dec 08, 2011

Ok, I'm not as fast as I used to be and the doctors keep giving names of physicians that are not on their list and are spelled different ways so I take the time to look them up because blanks are not a thing I like to leave on a report.  Today we get an email that we can no longer work off the clock which for me is a problem.  Do you take the time to look things up like that or what do you do to get past the OCD of trying not to leave a blank?  I feel like MQ is chasing ...

Q.6-8 Hours?
Apr 25, 2012

Doc says q. 6 to 8 hours with food.  Is that transcribed "q.6-8 hours"? Thanks for any help! ...

TTS - 8 Hours
Jul 15, 2012

I thought if we logged 7 hrs/day was considered okay, but now I'm getting notices that it is supposed to be 8 hrs/day - 8 hrs a day of actual transcription is pretty hard to concentrate - the mind and body has to take breaks! ...

So Far (2 Hours In) Don't Like DQS 7 -
Jul 24, 2012

Can we change the color of the audio highlight.  Mine is purple and it is driving me nuts.  It used to be yellow in the old DQS.  Thanks ...

Hours For FT Or PT? Sm
Sep 05, 2012

How many hours are considered FT?  How about for PT work?  Thanks. ...

PT Less Than 20 Hours. Possible??
Jul 16, 2013

As hard as it is for Nuance to get/retain employees has anyone every been able to negotiate for less than 20 hours PT with them? ...

PT Is How Many Hours?
Jan 20, 2014

I am planning on going PT, the least amount of PT as possible as I have been diagnosed with CHF and atrial fib and the stress of this job will wind up killing me.  I am already on partial retirement, so just need a few extra hours/week.  What is the least amount of PT hours a person can work?  Thank you. ...

13 Hours To Go
Feb 20, 2014

I have 13 hours left to work at this company and then I am done.  I am typing what I consider good grammar for the ESLs and not worrying about an audit.  My blood pressure has come down.  I am cruising, not swearing and can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train.  This company has been wonderful to me for most of my time as an MT.  I am saddened by the changes that have happened in the last few years.  I am going to work in Central Supp ...

OOW Yet Again. Twice In Less Than 2 Hours. What Is Up?
Apr 16, 2014

Have less than 3 hours of PTO. This is getting really old. ...

Regarding The PTO And 104 Hours Without Pay...
Jun 18, 2014

I noticed when I took a day off without pay, at the end of the pay period, the PTO earned shown in UltriPro was only 4.14 hours instead of 4.62. Does this mean if we take any of that 104 hours of unpaid time off they were so generous to give us, our actual paid time off will be cut?   Has anyone else noticed this?  How sleezy. ...

PT 16 Hours
Aug 17, 2014

Does anybody work less than 20 hours?  I now work 24 hours, but due to a medical condition, I am finding it hard to work 24 hours, 16 would be much better.  Does anyone know if they make exceptions to the rule of at least 24 hours? ...