A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cutting shift differentials is a preemptive strategy (sm) - Former MQ Manager

Posted: Dec 26, 2010

The recent reduction in shift differentials is the first phase of reducing the workforce during those hours.  You can expect there to be an eventual phase-out of the shift differentials altogether.  Why?  The ultimate goal is to utilize offshore vendors for that work. 

This pressurized reduction in income opportunitywill cause some natural attrition:  Some will not be able to afford the pay loss, some will be upset and simply quit. 

It will take a little time but not a long drawn-out process.

Then, the focus will be on the very limited available work for day shift only. 

Goal?  Minimal US staff with majority of all work siphoned to offshore vendors. 

They will tell you that they do not want to lose their US MTs -- it is important to keep them, yadda yadda -- but in the long run they only will want the best they can afford and only an extremely limited number of MTs for those few positions.

Their actions:

Illegal?  No.

Immoral?  Not really.  All businesses have to do what is best for their survival.

Unfortunate?  Yes.

Sad?  Absolutely.

Discouraging?  Completely.

I watched, listened, planned and worked along with MQ for years in management.  CBay just pushed it off the already rocky, steep, slippery cliff.  I left shortly after I could no longer be held responsible for the offshore conflict (poor quality from them, clients literally screaming and cutting contracts over the pitiful quality, but continuing to use them -- because CBay demands it) without any power to change it. 

All of this is my opinion after having been part of that inner circle.  It is not divulging intellectual plans or confidential meetings.  It is an extremely experienced and insightful opinion only ...

Find yourself another line of work right now.  Do not wait. 

Signed,

The X

Cut and slash shift diff - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You said everything perfectly and honestly and were 100% right on. I too left MQ for many of the same reasons, well actually all of them, plus a very incompetent supervisor and an account that became nearly impossible to do. I have struggled and am now working, but MQ is the tip of the iceberg, it is only going to get worse and all of us are going to be without a job and all of these companies are aware of this and could care less, because they are looking out for themselves, as they know they better make their money now, because eventually they will be cut out as well. CBAY will rule and then it will probably go to China from India, just like the chain of events in this country. The select few that you talk about, I am sure many MTs feel they will be kept on for that same reason, but even if they do, the salary will be pitiful and that is hard to imagine, since it is beyond pitiful now and has been for the last 3-5 years. I say "get out," don't look back, just get out, even it you have to find something to get by with. There are no perks with MQ and the few that are there are dwindling fast.

MQ is lying to everyone, and all that dishonesty - proves they are morally bankrupt. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
X

I am SO GLAD I quit last month. I worked my entire - me in CA

[ In Reply To ..]
shift after 6PM (west coast). I had a feeling it was time for me to leave MQ after 15 years. In October I started applying with companies and finally snagged myself one that was acceptable. Then dropped MQ off, sort of scared, but knew it was for the best.

Knowing my entire 30 hours a week had a shift differential and that would have been gone, I would have been so miserable hearing this news.

My advice? Leave while you're still sane. I feel so much better now.

Both MQ and Spheris before them have stated sm - Panny Farmer

[ In Reply To ..]
the work done offshore is comparable or better to the work done in the US. This according to QA. In fact I believe our QA is being done in India.

The phrase used was "the work is very good, but problem with phrases unique to US Enlgish".

I also wonder, after glancing at the new Teamwork time clock we ex-shpherites are being swithed over to, if the goal of that is to completely eliminate CCMs. Their days seem to be numbered, along with ours.

Could this income reduction - qualify us for TAA?

[ In Reply To ..]
Isn't this called something (forget the legal term) which is when an employer intentionally makes changes in your job that you just cannot accept? Someone please help with the nomenclature - "constructive termination"?

Not exactly. (sm) - Former MQ Manager

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are not able to get all of your required hours because of no work - that week could qualify for unemployment (UE) benefits.

If you lose hours permanently or temporarily because of your account going offshore, that could qualify for UE and for TAA.

Shift differential is not a required pay. They don't have to pay differentials, incentives, bonuses. Losing those do not qualify you for anything.

Losing workable hours could qualify for at least UE and possibly TAA.

I would encourage anyone to contact their local Department of Workforce Services office. Please do not ask for direction from others on it and accept those answers though! You must personally go to the DWS office and apply - speak to the staff there in person!

The X

Thanks. The X -- would love to know who you are. You seem to know what - you are talking about. Thanks again. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Thanks - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you X for writing this. I have had a gut feeling (in addition to seeing the facts of the cuts,changes, etc.) from subtle changes occurring over time on my account. It is nice to read this and to feel you care enough to write it.

You're wrong about just ONE little detail: - What they do IS immoral. VERY immoral.

[ In Reply To ..]
And it WILL come back to bite them someday.

Disagree. This is business. The letters to spell immoral do not - appear in the word business. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

SoftScript Shift Differentials
Dec 15, 2010

Does anyone know about the shift differentials offered at SoftScript?  It is my understanding that you get $0.005 cents for anything after 4 PM PST and $0.01 for anything on the weekend.  Their site, however, says there is a special differential for Friday and Saturday afternoons.  Does anyone know what that differential is?  Also, if one were to work weekend after 4:00 PM, do you just get $0.01 or do you get $0.015 (weekend/afternoon combined)?  Every little bit makes a ...

Transcend ?? Bonuses/shift Differentials??
Apr 22, 2011

I see Transcend is offering 12 hour windows (which is one of the things that keeps me at WMX right now.) Can anyone tell me about bonus plan and/or weekend or shift differentials?  I know there are people who love and hate every company, just looking for what might be a better fit for me.   VR, high percentage ESL.. these are a given in this profession anymore.  I just want to have the bottom line (my paycheck) be something I can live with.   ...

Cutting Hours Off Of Shift Differential
Sep 10, 2013

where is the incentive to work????? I only got 2 hours of it anyway so now I don't get any extra at all!!! ...

Exit Strategy
Nov 26, 2013

I've pursued this line of work more out of obligation rather than choice. I know where the wind is blowing, so I'm going back to school for my Associate of Applied Science. But I'll have to juggle work and school for 2 years. I currently work an "Indian QA" company. I had a rocky start, such that I had considered quitting and I take my chances with another company. I wisely stuck with them (after advice from this very board), and it's a good thing I did, because the seemin ...

For Those On PM I Think I Figured Out The Strategy...
Jul 16, 2014

Well ever since the contest I have gotten completely new dictators and some new accounts.  All of which I can't keep up.  I have a feeling that the easier work was assigned to those in the contest.  That is the only thing I can think of.  Either that or they are trying to get rid to of me.  At this point, hope to be fired.  I don't know how much more of this I can take.   ...

Strategy To Diminish Labor Contribution
Nov 23, 2012

Thank you for the point blank statement concerning your labor force. Ever heard the old saying, You can't beat a dead horse? Your stable of producers and seasoned workers has mostly gone on to greener pastures (or quit the profession entirely). Most of what you have coming in are green and untrained, so what is your plan for them (to get even greater leverage out of the workforce that is left)? All the whip-cracking, threats, and demeaning Emails, is that going to give the Unlearned ...

MModal Still Has Shift Differential For Night Shift?
Jul 01, 2013

can anyone tell me if MModal still has shift differential for night shift? I know they used to ...

Regarding Cutting Our Pay
May 21, 2010

THEY DISGUST ME!! ...

Archivus Cutting Pay? SM
Oct 26, 2010

Does this company hire and then after a quarterly review have QA pick your work apart and then tell you they can either terminate your contract or cut your pay.  Understand this has happened to more than one person.  Has anyone experienced this.  They told me I was doing awesome work, not they picked the work after and then tell me that in 2 weeks my contract will either be terminated or will have a reduced line rate.  This makes no sense.  I have 18 years experience.&nb ...

IS NUANCE CUTTING OUR PAY AGAIN?
Jun 13, 2014

As someone noted below, they are getting 2 cents. I am getting 4 cents per edited line. Is this being cut further? ...

Cast-cutting Term
Nov 07, 2009

"She had a fairly significant increase in pain.  We were concerned about the possibility of swelling inside the cast.  We cut it in a s/l "bi val" or "bioval" fashion and released some of the pain." Can anyone help with this one? ...

Need Help - Doc Says Five Five Bone Cutting Shaver...
Mar 05, 2010

how would you type this?  Any help appreciated - thanks! ...

What Is Up With All Of These Companies Cutting The Pay For Straight
Jun 07, 2011

I'm not understanding if a person was making 8 or 9 cents a line for straight transcription and then the account goes to voice rec and the pay is decreased for that, why is the pay for straight transcription also going down?  It's the same doctors, so why am I now suddenly worth 2 cents less to do straight transcription?  Personally, if it isn't VR worthy, then you would think that it would still be worth the 8 or 9 cents a line.  ...

Express Scribe Cutting Off
Apr 26, 2012

Have Express Scribe Pro, This week the last few seconds of a voice file are being cut off, don't know where to go in Menu to adjust this or fix it. Any suggestions. TIA ...

How About Cutting Out Some Corporate Bloat
Apr 17, 2013

How does that work for ya? Amy & Shah? Want to take a 40% pay cut like we did? ...

Questions About EMR & Cutting Out The Middleman
Jun 19, 2013

For those lucky enough to work directly for the client (no MTSO) are any EMRs set up for transcription, or do you subscribe to a service to send Word files?  Is it an easy setup?  The only thing holding me back from trying to get my own accounts again is having no tech help for problems that are bound to occur. Any recommendations for services to transmit files and what do they charge. I just can't keep working for .04 cents a line.  It's completely impossible to live ...

Cutting Edge Pay Plan Is Nothing More Than
Dec 13, 2014

own without having to do massive layoffs. The real underlying intention here is to have all work taken over by India. Quality and patient safety have nothing to do with it. Paying India workers mere pennies increases the bottom line. There is no public explaining to do or announce regarding massive layoffs. They will simply claim US workers quit on their own and they cannot find employees here in the US. I would love to know how much the person or persons were paid to think up this pla ...

How To Transition From Day Shift To Night Shift
Dec 08, 2013

I've been offered an in-house MT position that I am not passing up. It is night shift 10 pm to 6 am. I've never worked a night shift ever. How should I transition into working nights? Anyone have any tips for working this shift? ...

Ortho Operative Note Help Please, He Is Cutting It Off .... Sm
Aug 18, 2010

Some *Daptik* was applied to the wound and the patient was placed in a soft cast.    I know this but he is cutting himself off and my mind has gone BLANK!!!   TIA ...

Mayo Hospital Cutting 188 Transcriptionists
May 30, 2014

In case anyone hadn't seen this.  In brief: Nearly 200 jobs in western Wisconsin are being cut, in a cost-saving measure by Mayo Clinic Health System.The company says it will contract out 188 medical transcriptionist jobs by Nov. 1 to Amphion Medical Solutions, based in Madison.Mayo said the move will save them 40 percent in expenses and it will try to re-assign affected employees to other openings within the company. It says Amphion will also discuss openings within their business.&l ...

New Cutting Edge Paper Medical Chart!
Dec 04, 2014

It's satire, and yet so true.. ...

CCM Cutting Helper Pools So People Will Change Schedule
Sep 15, 2011

So had work for 2 days out of the week with no problems and then all of a sudden an email appears that help is needed for the weekend and also wanting people to change their schedules to the weekend.  All of a sudden, no jobs available appear.  Apparently, work is just cut off until people start volunteering to change their schedule or volunteering to cover hours on the weekend and when some poor schmoe changes their schedule or volunteers, all of a sudden we have work again.  Tot ...

If They Keep Cutting Benefits, Eventually, We'll Be Paying Them For The Honor Of Working For Th
Sep 10, 2013

S/l "curs" Cartilage Cutting System Used For
Mar 29, 2013

nm ...

Possible To Get FT Day Shift?
Oct 18, 2009

Thinking of going back FT and quitting my current day job, but it isn't always easy to get on days.   (I know the work flow tends to be spread out a little thinner day shift.)  ...

QA For 3 Cpl As An IC On 3rd Shift...
Dec 07, 2009

Saw the ad elsewhere.  Are these companies nuts?!  I hope nobody takes that pay.  That's equivalent to 1 cpl as an employee with benes FOR QA WORK!  I get so frustrated reading some of these ads with such horrible pay. ...

Third Shift
Dec 10, 2009

I was wondering if it's really worth it to work the 3rd shift?  Does the additional CPL really make that much of a difference.  Does the workload stay steadier during that time?  I've been offered a 3rd shift part-time job, but just don't know if it's worth revamping my entire day to work this late.  Would anybody working this shift let me know how it works out as far as sleep, daytime errands, etc.? ...

What Is First Shift, Second Shift, Etc.?
Dec 16, 2010

I see job ads for First Shift, Second Shift, etc., and modified shifts, and I am not sure exactly what periods of time these are.   I figure they are specific hours of the day - like day, swing, graveyard shifts - but what are the hours, generally? I have only worked as an IC with TAT.  I am considering applying for some of the employee status jobs but need to clarify what these shifts are. Thank you. ...

One Job On My Shift And OOW
Nov 20, 2012

I thought I just got booted but logged back in no jobs will load so this means OOW.. already.. I just logged on for my shift.. NOT GOOD AND NOT HAPPY!!!! I believe I am in the South region. ...

NJA Now For 2.5 Hrs Of My Shift. Still NJA. Wst
Feb 07, 2013

wage.  this is a dream job! ...