A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

how the hospital department covers weekend shifts/hours - amy224

Posted: Jan 24, 2014

I am curious if anyone is an at-home transcriptionist who works for a hospital and how the department covers weekend shifts/hours. Also curious what kind of hours you are required to work during the week and how many people are on the transcription team.  Or if you'd just share what your company does for scheduling and what the hours are.  I am looking for some ideas for our team.   Small hospital.  Weekend coverage only includes priority jobs (H&Ps). Thanks!

Used to be a hospital employee at home - all your question depend on one thing - how large is the hospital and/or sister facilities

[ In Reply To ..]
or put another way - how large is the average daily workflow.

hours - amy224

[ In Reply To ..]
On the weekends, about 10-14 H&Ps per day.

My answers - Ayn

[ In Reply To ..]
I work from home as a hospital employee. Our average daily census is around 150-175 patients. We have a dozen HIM transcriptionists and then (I think) 6 radiology transcriptionists. For the HIM side, most of us work Mon thru Fri full-time - 40 hours a week. I think only 2 work part-time around 30 hours a week, but we really don't know each other's schedules, so I am not sure. We are all staggered slightly throughout the day. I think the earliest starts at 5 a.m. and I think all the "daytime" folks are done by 3 or 4 p.m. There are 2 who work "evenings" - one starts at 2 or 3 p.m. and the other at 4 p.m., I believe. They are done by midnight.

We have a couple of MTs who work regularly scheduled weekends because they chose to. One works 10-hour shifts Fri-Mon and one works Sun-Thurs, again because they chose that schedule years ago when they were hired. New hires are generally Mon-Fri.

The rest of us have a scheduled rotation to work 1 weekend day every 3 weeks (taking a weekday off in exchange during the week in which we work the weekend - so we still are only scheduled for 40 hours that week).

Radiology scheduling is a little more flexible, I believe, with them coordinating more among themselves to respond to their workload as it fluctuates more than the HIM side. I really don't have good info to share on how they do things. I do believe they do the weekend rotation schedule the same as we do on HIM side.

Hope that helps.

To My Answers - amy224

[ In Reply To ..]
That is how we do our weekend shifts right now, too. We each work 1 weekend day every 3rd weekend and take a day off during the week to avoid overtime unless it is needed. I was interested to see if any other places did it any different just to get some ideas. When a place has done something the same way for so long, it is hard to think of any other options. Thanks!!!!

Same - Former Supervisor

[ In Reply To ..]
Worked as supervisor, in house, with about 60 in-house and 15 IC MTs. It was very difficult to staff weekends as only 2 chose to work them. We did a similar rotation for coverage. Then the only problem was when a weekend MT was sick.
I now work for an MTSO who has new hires agree to one weekend day a week. I was able to pick my schedule with them and give a bout a 12 hour work window rather than a set schedule.
Re: Same - amy224
[ In Reply To ..]
None of us really "enjoy" the weekend shift, but you do what you have to, right? lol
My hospital - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Requires Tues thru Sat or Sun thru Thu for all new hires and did that for the 25 years I worked for them. When they switched to a service, that service also required it. I like working a day on the weekend, so it's not a problem for me. I like having a day off during the week so I can get stuff done that is difficult to do on the weekend.

at my hospital - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of us work evening shift, the others day shift. The ones hired more recently have to work one week-end day every week. FT is 32-hours for us, which is my work week. Most work 40. The night shift and overflow is outsourced. We rotate on-call a week at a time, which includes overnight hours and the weekend/holiday hours when no one is on. They pay a small amount for all hours on-call, and any call-back gets 2 hr pay at full wage. Of course that is to cover the stats.

we worked Tue~Sat or Sun~Thurs shifts - were...see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Somewhat staggered for example, a couple of us worked 10 to 6:30, a couple worked 6:30pm to 3 am and two people worked 3am to 11:30 am, then 6am to 2:30, 7am to 3:30, 8am to 4:30 & 9am to 5:30. Seemed rather complex, but it worked and we had 24/7 coverage.

Similar Messages:

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Hospital Medical Records Department
Nov 14, 2009

With HIPAA regulations tightening on who can get a carbon copy of a patient's medical record, MTs should NOT have the responsibility of sending any carbon copies at all.  All carbon copy requests for a patient's records should go directly to the hospital's medical records dept for a signed release verification from the patient for that copy to be sent.  Reports being sent from any outside provider without the proper signed release from the patient should be consider ...

My Hospital Outsourced Our Department Today.
Mar 01, 2010

I'm pretty bitter! ...

Hospital Transcription Department To National Company
Apr 29, 2014

Is there anybody here who worked for a hospital in the transcrption department only to have their jobs yanked out from under t hem and sent to a National such as Nuance?  I know somebody who works for a local hospital and it looks like they secretly are in the process of making this move....some very strange secretive things going on that makes me wonder...... What was the  process for your hospital if this happened to you?????  I'm wondering if my suspicions are spot-on. &nb ...

Hours In Shifts
Mar 15, 2011

Have a question on shifts. Many of the jobs on the boards say 2nd or 3rd shift. In the MT world does that mean 3 to 11 p.m. and 11 to 7 a.m. or is it 4 p.m. to 12 and 12 to 8 a.m.? I have not had a position for a straight shift before, but split my shift at my last job to get in my 8 hours. TIA. :)   ...

What Hours Consist Of 2nd And 3rd Shifts? Nm
Jan 02, 2015

X ...

Required 4 Weekend Hours?
Mar 09, 2010

I work for the NorthEast section of Medquist and my supervisor wanted to verify all of our hours before we started getting locked-out of working hours other than our scheduled hours. When I emailed my hours to my supervisor, I stated that I wanted to drop my 3 hours I had previously been scheduled on Sunday night since I was having a hard time keeping those hours. Mind you, I already work 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Monday through Friday and 8:30 to 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday. She then wr ...

Mandatory Weekend Hours
Aug 12, 2010

My CCM has been harping on us voluntarily changing our scheduled to weekend hours, how "it won't hurt a bit" and you may quote me.  I already work every Sunday, but they want me to now work a 6th day, splitting one of my other days where they no longer need me to work, into Friday evening hours.  How am I supposed to do this when I already have a second part-time job on the 2 days I have off?  If they didn't slash my salary by 40%, I wouldn't have to work around the ...

OT-EXTRA HOURS FOR WEEKEND
Aug 27, 2010

All week NJA.  Everyone has hours to make up I am sure.  At 9:30 CCM puts out E-Mail for OT and extra hours for weekend.  At the  time of her mail "work is low" so why are we looking for OT and extra time committments????   ...

Love The Mandatory Weekend Hours
Jun 27, 2010

so I can waste my time sitting here staring at NJA screen.  I need a new job!! ...

So What Happens If You Do NOT Work Mandatory 2 Hours Over Weekend?
Aug 22, 2012

x ...

Required To Switch Schedule To Add Weekend Hours
Jan 12, 2012

Anyone out West asked to work 3-4 hours minimum on a Sat. or Sunday with equivalent time off Monday to Friday ?  Do they ask this of the Indians, also ?  Reason given was to cover TAT.  Your thoughts, please ?  Thanks !  ...

Ridiculous! 4th New Hospital In 3 Hours
Jun 07, 2010

Fer cryin' out loud, my 4th totally new hospital in the last few hours and I don't even want to talk about what that does to my line count.  Got a great big email from the new supervisor reiterating the rules about hours etc. but god forbid she should have let us know this was going to happen.   Geez. ...

What Shifts Offered/what Shifts Do You Work?
Feb 23, 2014

I will switch to employee in a few weeks. Do they offer you certain shifts or do you pick your hours? Does everyone work weekends? How many hours per week is considered part time? Do they pay more for later shifts? Any other info ? Thanks ahead of time. ...

Foam Covers For Headsets?
Oct 12, 2012

Has anyone found these for less than $15 per pair? ...

What Exactly HIPAA Covers In Depth
Dec 12, 2012

I am hoping someone can help me clear this up as I am still somewhat confused as to what exactly HIPAA covers in depth.  If you have a school counselor who shared private medical information about your child to someone other than the parent/guardian, teacher, staff, etc. does that fall under HIPAA?  Are they licensed under medical to be under HIPAA guidelines or Privacy Act?  Anyone know?  The information shared was to the child's sibling and the counselor told them the child was suicid ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shifts
Feb 13, 2011

Does Medquist give you a shift time and expect you to be at your computer working during that shift? What are the shift times, for ex is first shift 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.? Thanx for any help you can give me. ...

Why Only 2nd And 3rd Shifts Available
Feb 26, 2011

There are companies, which I know have outsourced a majority of work to India, that are seeking US MTs but only for 2nd and/or 3rd shifts.  Curious as to why seeing as how when it is 8:00 a.m. here (central) it is 7:00 p.m. in India and the rationale in sending all of our work to India is because companies supposedly couldn't find adequate coverage for 2nd and 3rd shifts here in the states, yet that is exactly what they are hiring for...no 1st shifts available, or very few, in the stat ...

? Department
Jun 13, 2012

The patient was sent from the "integ" department to detox for alcohol detox.    ? department ?   Thanks. ...

There Goes Another MT Department. S/m
Nov 24, 2013

I have a sister who is the head of med rec in a hospital in Iowa. This hospital is part of a large system. They are moving to VR within the next year. Those MTs are worried about their jobs. I told my sister to give them a heads up - their $20+/hour jobs will be gone. Their superb benefits will be gone. I feel for them - this is happening to all of us - being paid peanuts for our experience and knowledge. They already have EMR in place and there are patients who, once they've log ...

IT Department
Feb 15, 2015

Where is mmodal's IT department located.  I called and the person I spoke hardly spoke English.  Is it in India or TN? ...

TT And Bonus. It Is Only For 2nd And 3rd Shifts.
Oct 31, 2010

You can't tell me that all this is because of auditing and all those let go were on 2nd and 3rd shifts.  Bonus money, but no increases.  Plus what accounts and what programs with horrible dictators.  I am sure that it is, again, you have to walk on water.  ...

Change Of Shifts
Dec 21, 2010

Has anyone else had the call from CCM asking you to switch shifts or to move to graveyards?  What have you done?  I work a late split shift already Tuesday through Saturday and got a call about why I missed work (NJA).  I don't think I can work a third shift and don't know how far they will push this.  They said they will float me to other BOBs in order to keep me busy when they run out of work in mine.  The only problem with that is that it will bring my wage ...

Ever Have Those Shifts When Every Report You
Jun 15, 2011

get is horrible.  80% of my reports this morning have been ESL's who I swear were dictating in their sleep.  Slurred speech, impossible to understand.  Blanks galore today.  The kinda shift that makes you wonder if youeven  know what you are doing.  Oh well, only a little over an hour left and then I think I will go back to bed for a little bit to reset my brain.....it is fried (not to mention my nerves!). ...

WMX And 12 Hour Shifts
Feb 16, 2011

I saw someone post they were no longer offering 12 hours to get your 8 hours work done in.  Are they taking it away from the ones already on that schedule?  Gulp!!! ...

Explanation Of Shifts
Jul 23, 2011

I have always worked during the day and am wondering what hours are considered second and third shift. Also, if you work for someone in a different time zone, are your working hours in that time zone or your own time zone? Please explain. Thank you very much. ...

WMX And Changing Shifts
Sep 04, 2011

If you find you aren't happy with the shift you hired on for, do you have to wait 90 days to ask for a change?  Do you just ask your  manager or is there a request form you need to submit?  TIA. ...