A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

all right what about the medical admin asst program - at CareerStep

Posted: Jun 10, 2013

yes, no, maybe? The price is certainly not bad, $1700,  if you thought you could get a job when it was over. 

I would not do it - A lot of money to be a glorified clerk

[ In Reply To ..]
My roommate went through the dental assistant program at Pima and I talkd to someone recently who went through the medical assistant program at Carrington. Neither of them are working in their field.

Medical assistant is a glorified clerk with just a hair more education than your average person and you MIGHT make $9 or $10 an hour. There's no way I'd pay for a program to do that.

well then what are we supposed to do? - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
what can we move into? I'm at a loss.

What do you like? - no message from God

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe start thinking about what you would like to do, or where your talents are. Get some gumption and use your imagination. Whining about not knowing what you're "supposed to do" is a waste of time and energy.
well I thought I might like the job above - but it got shot down
[ In Reply To ..]
thanks for your support.
Shot down - no message from God
[ In Reply To ..]
Frankly, I don't understand why you would base your decision on one person's anonymous comment. Only you know what is best for you.

I think that's a very good question - (see msg)

[ In Reply To ..]
I've spent many hours poring over the Department of Labor database of occupations, my state unemployment department's equivalent, and the program and certificate offerings for colleges in my area and online ones in other areas.

The thing I have found the most shocking (and, frankly, terrifying) is that it appears there are a lot of people going to school for year-long programs to qualify for jobs that pay $10-$12/hour (and even at that, where job placement rates are disclosed, about the highest you find anywhere is in the 75% neighborhood). (I haven't really looked hard at those taking longer than a year, because a year of additional training is all I'll be able to afford.)

I honestly don't know what we're "supposed to do." I'm kind of reaching the conclusion that in the US in 2013, retraining is only the least useless of a whole lot of (at best) unpromising alternatives. Let alone for those of us who will also be swimming against the riptide of age discrimination as well.

Of the available alternatives, I keep coming back to coding. Although I'm profoundly worried about the odds of getting a first coding job when I'm near 60, I'm hoping that perhaps ICD-10 will shake things up enough in the coding world to open up some jobs for new coders with ICD-10 classes (and maybe ICD-10 certification insofar as that's possible). But it looks to me like a new coder can probably expect something like $16/hour (depending on a ton of variables, as always)... which seems to be almost as good as it's going to get out there anymore.
I just don't know about coding - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
I know it's supposed to be great and wonderful and profitable but I also see so many who can't find jobs after they go to school, and plus I just wonder if I am capable of doing it.
Thoughts on that - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Where are you seeing "so many who can't find jobs" in coding? 75% of new CPCs *do* find jobs. That isn't such a bad number.

It's a concern, yes, but I suggest you google to find out how many nursing graduates can't find jobs -- ever.

Frankly, as a coder, I think that coding is a very good job prospect.

About wondering if you "are capable of doing it" . . . I think that's the main problem. You are either lacking in confidence or you haven't done enough to find out about what coding is really like.

I think that few MTs would have much trouble with it. Can you read? That's 90% of the reason coding is too difficult for most people--they can hardly read plain English, much less medical language. You already know medical language.

Do you know what goes on in medical care? What an H&P is? A consult, DS, or a Op Report? How about path, lab, and radiology reports? Do you think you can understand what you read in an op note? Most people can't, but MTs can.

That's it . . . reading and looking up stuff. Don't you already do that?

Coding is not math. It isn't memorizing codes or code numbers.

It's a lot like MT, only instead of listening and writing, you read and find codes to match what you find in the reading.

Can you look at a report you've typed and find the diagnoses? Or what operation was performed? Well, then you can code. Coding is just taking those things and finding them in a book.

Also understand - no message from God
[ In Reply To ..]
You many only be seeing entry-level pay rates, and only an average of those as well. Very few new graduates make the big bucks in their field straight off the bat. For example, first year teachers in my area make around 28K. Pretty cruddy, right? BUT, by year 5, they're hitting the 70K mark.

Don't let others discourage you - Fuzz

[ In Reply To ..]
Honestly, it is hard to find a high-paying job these days. There is nothing wrong with going to school for medical assisting. I do see jobs for that. Do take all the phlebotomy training you can get and echocardiogram and vital signs. Take all of it seriously. If there are clinicals, make sure they do clinicals where you want to work.

Not a real job in any real - medical practice/facility

[ In Reply To ..]
Do they also have courses for File Clerk and Data Entry?

Do docs even have "Medical Secretaries" anymore? - All It Is

[ In Reply To ..]
That's what an Administrative Assistant is, in medical or any other office. A glorified Secretary/Go-fer.

maybe so - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
but right now I don't have the skills to be the glorified secretary/go-fer. I have to get the skills someplace or no one will even take me seriously at an interview.

but the courses cover insurance and billing - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I know how to be a file clerk but I know nothing about insurance and billing. How am I supposed to learn it if I don't take a course? I'm pretty sure no one would hire me to train me on the job.

Get a book - Not God, either

[ In Reply To ..]
All that information -- basic records management & coding & billing & collecting -- is covered in one book/workbook combination. Green & Rowell. Or, Fordney.

If you take a course, they will tell you to read the book and do the exercises. Can't you do that on your own? This information is not so complicated that you need a teacher.
from amazon reviews - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
This is one of the WORST learning materials ever! By the end of the course, there were so many frustrated students (as well as the instructor) that I suggested a major bon fire (fueled by the books) at the end of the class! Thankfully, the teacher has decided to never use this course ever again.

There were so many mistakes in the book and on the two CDs; trying to get help from the authors/designers of the program was impossible! Those of us who did seek assistance (including me) were told to wait for a confirmation email (which never came) regarding the "help" we were to receive.
thank you! - thank you!
[ In Reply To ..]
I'll know not to get that book!

Similar Messages:

Andrews Medical Admin Asst
Jan 04, 2015

Different Deb here (not Deb0515). I'm on the fence about this course. It would likely help me move from MT (now unemployed) into a medical office job. Just about all medical admins need to know a lot about insurance and it's possible Andrews covers this well. OTH, the course looks like it contains a lot of modules that I've got under my belt just from transcription. Not only that, I don't need classes in communication and how to act at work. Is anyone enrolled in this and wou ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Does Anyone Use A Different Medical Spellcheck Program
Aug 17, 2014

I simply do not have the money for steds, nor do I want to give them my business.   I'm wondering if anyone found or uses a different medical word spelllcheck program,  and do you like it, is it helpful or accurate?   Thanks much.   ...

Medical Spellcheck Program For Word?
Jan 08, 2013

Hi all  Can someone recommend me a good program to get for microsoft word 2010 that will allow Word to check the spelling of medical words? Any help is appreciated, thanks ...

SUM Program Beginning Medical Transcription
Jun 04, 2014

Hi all, I am new here, this is my first post.  I am currently taking online classes to become an MT.  I've just finished all the medical background training classes and the BOS.  I've just gotten the SUM program for Beginning Medical Transcription today along with my foot control.  I have to say that I am pretty nervous to be actually starting the transcribing part.  Has anyone else used this particular program in training?  Any helpful advice? Thanks he ...

Anyone Use A Free Medical Dictionary Software Program?
Dec 22, 2014

Hello all.  I am wondering if anyone uses a free medical dictionary software and would be willing to share the name.  Thanks! ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

Penn Foster Coding And Medical Billing Program?
Jan 29, 2015

Hello, Just wanting opinions/experiences with Penn Foster's Training Program Coding and Medical Billing. Thanks in advance. ...

HEY ADMIN!!
Oct 20, 2009

You're moving things to the comedy board, but when we click on the link, it says board closed and says to go to the main board. Dude. ...

To Admin & Everyone
May 24, 2014

Can the Main Board be merged with the VR Board since most of us are editors now? ...

Admin (?) Re Post 3:13 Pm
Oct 20, 2009

I just spotted this post under "latest messages posted", but when I try to find it on the "Word Help" board, it isn't there.  Is that odd?   Thanks! http://forum.mtstars.com/151913.html ...

NJA Admin Time
Jul 28, 2010

know for sure that we are being paid our 15 mins of admin time every time NJA happens?  I don't see anything itemized out on my paycheck, although according to my time card, it was notated as NJA. ...

Vista And Full Local Admin Rights
Sep 14, 2011

Having problems with company trying to load Dictaphone platform onto my computer.  I have Vista and it is denying access to some applications, saying I don't have full adminstrator rights.  Has anyone had this problem? TIA! ...

The Sky Is Falling – College Closes Medical Transcription Program – MTSO Cut Out As
Nov 05, 2010

The sky is falling !!! Anyone else see this?  Is this an aberration or a portent of the direction Medical Transcription is heading?    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 College ends medical transcription program Recently Delhi University announced its Medical Transcription Program, for the first time, was producing better transcriptionists in India including South Asia.  In the meantime, San Juan College is closing its Medical Transcription Program stating that there is les ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

From Medical Transcriptionist To Medical Coordinator
May 19, 2011

Where can I get information about transitioning from a medical transcriptionist to a medical coordinator? ...

Help - A Non-medical Word In A Medical Report
Jan 25, 2013

It's on a wrist injury.  The word sounds like (it's slurred), but has the sound of - "inishits" The sentence is He has instability of the distal radial ulnar joint.  He had an MRI, which did reveal tear of the TFCC, which _____ with his clinical picture. Anywone have any guesses as to what that might be?  I'm just at a loss. Thanks,   ...

About That TAA Program...
Jan 07, 2010

I know you have to be drawing unemployment to quality for this.  Does anyone know exactly what this is and what the benefits are?    ...

FTP Program
Mar 15, 2010

I had a company send me an IP address to take a test. Once I e-mailed them back and asked what in the world am I suppose to do with this, they told me I had to have a FTP program. I tried one and it confused me to no end. Does anyone have any ideas on FTP programs? Thanks a lot! ...

Yet ANOTHER New Program???
Jun 09, 2011

Is it just me, or is this Cornerstone BS this just another way to chip away at our paychecks?  ...

ASR Program
May 06, 2012

The abbreviation "q.d." is listed as one of the dangerous abbreviations and we are not supposed to use it, ever.  Yet when someone dictates the word "daily" in a report, ASR routinely substitutes "q.d." in its place.  This is just wrong and has to be corrected manually. ...

Does Anyone Have A Program Where We Can
Sep 04, 2012

These counts just seem awfully low to me for some reason..wouldnt be the first time they skimmed them...short of actually sitting and counting characters was wondering if there is a program out there that I could use ...

Tax Preparer Vs. Do It Yourself Program
Oct 15, 2009

I have hired a CPA friend to do my taxes the last umpteen years and now would like to just do it myself with TurboTax or the like.  Does it work well for schedule C... and all the few deductions, health insurance premiums, etc., or am I best to fork over the big bucks?  Thanks, Connie ...

Lantus XYZ Program
Dec 09, 2009

This is an elderly female with a ton of issues.  Her diabetes is way out of control, and the doctor is looking into switching her to a Lantus "xyz" program.  Thanks. ...

Free Fax Program
Mar 19, 2010

Are there any free fax software programs? ...

New Incentive Program.....
Mar 15, 2010

I like how they try to make this seem great.  It's probably no better or worse than we were before with the monthly incentives.  When I got that email that said "line rate change" I really thought it was another pay cut. I tried to figure how much the increase would be.  I figured that the raise would give me 7 cents more per hour or about 56 cents a day? That can't be correct, although considering who we are dealing with.....maybe it is?  How do you figure exactl ...

Has Anyone Done The MT Program At MedL*ne
Apr 18, 2010

Hi everyone. Has anyone  had any experience with MedLi ne Sc hool of Medical Tran scription ? I can't find any posts on that school. Any graduates from there?   Thanks, Brenda     ...

Allied Program
Apr 22, 2010

Has anyone here completed the Allied program? I'd appreciate hearing about your experience, any job assistance they may provide, & whether you'd make the same choice if you could do it again. Thanks! ...

What's The Best Program To Run DSS Files On?
Aug 01, 2010

I downloaded ExpressScribe but the sound isn't that great.  I'm not sure if it's my file or if there's a better FREE program to download.  The files I'm trying to transcribe are .dss. Don't mean to be cheap, but I don't want to buy a program to test on if I'm not going to need it later. ...