A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Who Moved My Cheese?- - justanotherMT-NJ

Posted: Apr 22, 2011

I have been reading the posts of many of the unhappy MTs on this board for some time now. Seems like for those of you are happy in your present situation, so many others are just about at their "wits" in theirs. It is very sad I think to see an industry that seemed so lucrative, where you earned a decent wage for what you did, you were happy with what you did and you "loved" what you were doing.

It has been rather a tough year for me. I have been out of work over a year now and there are so many out there beating down the doors for those few "good" positions. So I have been reviewing my life in MT world over the last several weeks, and while cleaning out one of my closets came across the book, Who Moved My Cheese? So being I had some "free time" (seems I have a lot of that lately :)) and it is a quick read, picked it up and started reading it. For those that don't know what the book is about, it is about how to deal with change in your work and life. It is a book that is used by many large corporations for their employees and some employees have actually given the book to their employers (gee, I hope some of the suits on here get a copy of it and read it!).

In any case, as I continued to read on, I again found myself as one of the characters in the book, and it has started me thinking about what I can do to adapt to the ever present change going on in our industry. I actually came away from the book with a different outlook about who I am, how this book can help me change the way I see things, etc. So if anyone has this, has read it in the past, my suggestion is to go back and read it again. You just may find a new way to look at yourself in this field of work. If you don't have it, maybe try the library. It is a quick read (maybe 80 pages of print). Have a good weekend.

"Who Moved My Cheese" - Sue

[ In Reply To ..]
A friend of mine gave me that book to read many years ago when I did not know whether I was up or down. It definitely changed my thought pattern. For such a quick read it packs such a big punch. Now I want to read it again even though I have no complaints in my life, which I am thankful for. Hope others take your advice and pick up a copy. Thanks for sharing

thanks for the recommendation - sounds cool

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Recommendations - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I was introduced to this book when I attended a career assessment workshop about a year ago. They also showed a short animated film based on the book. I didn't find it to be all that profound. All they are saying is that change happens and we all handle it in different ways. If you need serious career advice, I think there are probably better choices. It's a quick read (96 pages) and entertaining, but that's about as far as it goes. Sorry, but I just wasn't impressed.

Of course there are other serious choices---but - justanotherMT-NJ

[ In Reply To ..]
some people get stuck in having everything being the same and not responding well to change or even explore what adapting to a new change might do for them if it got them to look at it in a different perspective. I have not had the opportunity to see the film. I just think the book allows you to think about it, even in a cute way and creates "word pictures" to identify you if you could be a character in it. Anything that could be used to help someone through something in a positive way especially on this board I think is helpful. Thanks for your response and input.
Other choices - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm glad you found the book helpful and I hope others do as well. The film is an animated version of the book with cartoon characters. Maybe this is what adults need/want but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Yes, managers do give this book to their employees to read, generally just before a big layoff or company restructuring. :-(

Cheese... - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
That sounds like what I need now. I'm at a crossroads once again in my life, and that might help. Thanks.

DITTO! n/m - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

"Who Moved My Cheese" - earlymusicus

[ In Reply To ..]
I found this book to be an insult to my intelligence. Basically, it just says, "Things change; put up and shut up." No wonder employers love to hand this to employees - it lets the employers off the hook and relieves them of the responsibility of making the workplace decent and the work experience decent, and it lays ALL the blame on the workers. Just think if you had been a great employee, worked hard, did a bang-up job, turned out great work, but the CEOs and the managers made their usual stupid decisions and drove the company into bankruptcy, and you were thrown out on the street. Then they handed you a copy of this book. Just think how it would make you feel!The only reason this piece of worthlessness is a best seller is because corporations buy it in truckloads to hand out. Save your money. If you want to read it, check it out of the library and read it for free (which is what I did).

Similar Messages:

Have You Guys Read "Who Moved My Cheese?" If Not, I Highly Recommend It. Sm
Apr 28, 2014

This industry doesn't pay enough anymore.  Why do you stay?  I have been in this business since the early 80s, have worked for hospitals and services and had my own accounts.  I was always able to make great money until now.  As soon as my pay dropped from what it was ($25-35/hr or more with own accounts) to about $10 an hour for a service, I was done.  I started looking and found a job in a hospital that pays a lot more, with benefits and paid time off.  ...

Blue Cheese Scissors
Oct 02, 2014

No VR. Wrong again. Try Bellucci scissors. ...

Comments On Dictator Input/swiss Cheese Reports
May 09, 2012

Does anyone from *Quality* ever question the dictator input? Have any of you higher-ups ever actually listened to what is being put into your high-tech systems you pay so much for? Is it any wonder that *Experienced* MTs leave blanks in reports? I've been in this field for a loooong time and some days I am appalled by what comes through my headphones. I don't believe some dictators even know the English alphabet (evidenced by attempts at spelling, even when reading from a report). I w ...

If You've Been Moved To A New Account
Nov 16, 2009

You don't know who the managers are, or even what division is falls under, and the old managers don't have a clue, how does one escalate to find out? MTQuestions? Tossed to the wolves here..but hey hey, I still have work! LOL. Slowly losing my mind on trying to get answers while restructuring in in progress. I've learned too much from the past that patience is not always a virtue. Things get lost in the shuffle. Anyone ever had this happen to them? Any suggestions. ...

S/l Moved Into The 3 To 4 Position
Nov 14, 2010

the tibial plateau and the femoral condyle. There was no meniscal injury on this side.Moving to the notch, there was significant synovitis and some loose bodies. We then moved into the ______________ position and entered the lateral compartment. Wesaw a meniscal tear at the posterolateral corner and there were also loose bodies in   s/l he is saying into the 3 to 4 position. ...

Hardly Moved Out Of Chair
Dec 09, 2010

1410 lines for $87.  I can really hook up my family with the Christmas presents on that.  Bah Humbug. ...

Moved To Main
May 27, 2011

.  ...

Has Anyone Else Heard They Are Getting Moved
Dec 14, 2012

to a new BOB and new supervisor?  Does not make any sense, except won't make any money as have to learn all new accounts. ...

Moved To DSP After Only 1 Week...Yay :)
May 20, 2013

I really like it here. ...

Anybody Getting Moved To New Accounts/CSM?
Jul 22, 2013

NM ...

Account Moved To India?
Jul 07, 2011

I saw somewhere that more accounts were moving to India on July 1.  Did that include a huge NY account including clinics that went through a large in-house audit about 2 months ago?   ...

Can Your Expanders In DQS Be Moved To Another Platform. Nm
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

M*Modal - Drop In Their Pay Since Being Moved To This Platform?
Sep 01, 2010

I wondered if anyone has noticed a drop in their pay since being moved to this platform?  I am being paid an hourly wage in order for the system to learn my accounts and also until it starts coming in as text and we get our speed up, but I have noticed about a 200 to 300 dollar drop in my pay.  Anyone else experience this with this crappy platform?  ...

Patient's Report Moved Me To Tears
Apr 14, 2015

Have you ever had a patient's report bring you to absolute tears?  I've been doing this for nearly 9 years and this if the first time this has happended...wondering if this job is really starting to get the best of me?  ...

Question For Transcenders Whose Acct Has Moved From BS To BeyondText
Feb 09, 2011

Once your primary moved to the new platform, did you still have access to Bayscribe to work on your secondaries when work was low?  And were you told there were certain requirements you must meet in order to move with your account to BeyondText? ...

I Got Moved To Fluency Canada And Can't Figure Out How To Cap After Period
May 21, 2013

Can anyone tell me? There fluency help doesn't work.  Ugh.  ...

Oh Great. TSM Moved So Many People To 1 Day On My Shift, I Was Told To Change!
Sep 20, 2013

She demanded schedule changes of all M-F MTs because of end-of-the-week/weekend TAT problems. I wasn't concerned because my entire schedule is for those troublesome days. Now I get an email that she moved too many people to my shift, and she wants me to change!!????? It is so frustrating working here on so many levels. I can't wait until I finish school and will be out of here! ...

Am I Being A Jerk, Or Is Anyone Else Annoyed The MM Coding Stuff Was Moved To This Board?
Mar 22, 2014

I've already been through school with Andrews and am getting ready to start the transition ICD-10 course, and I honestly don't mean to be a jerk about M modal.  I do feel badly for the MTs there, but I don't see why all the MM coding talk couldn't have just stayed with the MM side of the board.  Anyone else feel the same? ...

Has Anybody Moved From MT To Working For A Car Rental Company At Home. Doesn't Sound Too Bad.
Apr 23, 2014

One ad I saw starts at $12.45 an hour. Right now I make more, but it's only a matter of time until I don't. If anyone has tried this, I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks!!!! ...

This May Get Moved, But "word" Question
May 05, 2010

I recently started working for a small national and getting "dinged" on QA with stating "CO2 25."  Their QA is stating that it should be "CO2 "of" 25 and that any value followed by a number should have "of" included.  I have 30 years experience, have typed, CO2 25, pCO2 8, et cetera and NEVER been dinged for this  -- to me, it's redundant, but I guess according to BOS. Any feedback? Thanks     ...

TSM Says By E Mail That Approx 6 Were "moved" Out Of BOB
Apr 07, 2013

Not exactly sure what "moved" means. Does that mean laid off or fired? She also said that in the next two weeks approx 12 more to get "moved."  Interesting. ...

Has Anyone Moved From Part-time To Full-time With The
Apr 26, 2013

same company? If so, was it a good decision? I'm thinking of doing that. Thanks. ...