A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Have you guys read "Who Moved My Cheese?" If not, I highly recommend it. sm - Old MT

Posted: Apr 28, 2014

This industry doesn't pay enough anymore.  Why do you stay?  I have been in this business since the early 80s, have worked for hospitals and services and had my own accounts.  I was always able to make great money until now.  As soon as my pay dropped from what it was ($25-35/hr or more with own accounts) to about $10 an hour for a service, I was done.  I started looking and found a job in a hospital that pays a lot more, with benefits and paid time off.  Also started back to school.Anyway, in the book Who Moved My Cheese, it illustrates three types of characters:  The ones who are looking for new opportunities before the old ones dry up, the one who realizes an opportunity isn't there anymore and goes out looking for something new, and the one who is in denial and but stays at his "cheese station" with no work, hoping that someone will come and put the "cheese" back.Going back to school isn't what I wanted to do in my 50s, but I have no choice.  I know some of you are younger and have kids in school and working at home was your plan.  Why keep accepting what they are paying you (nothing!)?  It's more inconvenient to have to get a job outside of your home, but couldn't you make just as much working part time somewhere as you are working full time hours for little pay and only being paid on production?  People worked away from home before the internet and they survived.  It might even be better.  Looking back, I can see how I have changed after working at home for 20 years.  I may have been better off NOT working at home all that time.  And my days of working production were different because I was paid a fair rate.  At 7-8 cpl, I can't make a decent wage.  I'm not giving my time away.I know some of your situations are different, but please try to get out of this business.  Stop giving your time away. Stop letting transcription companies take advantage of you.  They will do it as long as you allow it.  Don't allow it.  There is something better for you.I wish transcription were still a viable option, but it's just not.  Instead of sticking around until it's too late, find something else and run with it.  If you're not making any money anyway, you might as well be doing something that doesn't suck the life out of you.

I love this book! - used to read it to my kids

[ In Reply To ..]
I learned as much from this book as my kids did when they were little and I'd read it to them. There's even an adult version, I think. But the kids' version gets the message out loud and clear: Change is inevitable. We can either fight it or make the most of it!

Who moved my cheese? - Joanne

[ In Reply To ..]
I love this! I too have been doing medical transcription for way too long (15+ years). Finally saw the writing on the wall over the past year when the company I had been working for (Radnet) starting laying off transcriptionists left and right and there were hardly any of us left. I finally had to get out of there of my own volition. Now looking for something outside of the house and also going back to school. I am also in my mid-50s and don't relish the idea of school at my age, but I have to do something to make myself marketable again somewhere - and having a transcription background right now seems to be a hindrance rather than a help. Going to be sure to check out that book! Thanks for the post - it brightened my day to know that I am not alone!

Yes, run while you can... - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, some of us in our late 50's don't qualify for student loans and have no money to go back to school. There also seems to be some age discrimination still out there, so it is hard to find a job outside the home. I wish we were able to get SSI earlier than 63.

I'm 57. I'm not using student loans sm - Old MT (OP)

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know why you wouldn't qualify for student loans, but I just figure at my age I don't need those to pay back when I get done. Instead, I am taking classes at a community college that doesn't cost a lot and they have a payment plan that you can sign up for so your payments are spread over divided over four months. I have almost enough hours for a bachelor's degree, but I'm just trying to get an associate's in HIT so I can get a job in ROI or coding or something until I can retire. I probably won't retire at 62/63 because I won't have enough for retirement by then.
Yes, there is age discrimination. I have run across that. I just kept applying at hospitals until I got an interview and got the job. In the end it was the fact that I have medical terminology and medical knowledge that younger, non-MTs don't have. There aren't really transcription jobs in hospitals like there used to be, but your MT experience and terminology will be a plus in any jobs you apply for. Also, many hospitals reimburse you for tuition, or at least part of it, as a part of their employee benefits.

Isn't 62 the minimum for SSI, not 63? As far as - Short Timer

[ In Reply To ..]
age discrimination, I have never been discriminated as an MT because of my age of 59. However, for any other job I cannot get an interview. I have never applied at a place that wants older workers. I have tried even the big box stores. Yesterday I was at Target and one checker at tattoos on all showing skin but the face. However, I could not get interviewed there as well. Once in a while you will find an older worker there but I think they have met their old quota and now you can't go after them for that. As one poster below said, I also think older workers are more apt to stay. I seldom see the same checkers at Target, and they are almost 100% young. Definitely younger by me by decades.

I am definitely taking SSI at age 62, retiring at 60 and using my IRAs that we were able to contribute to because we used to make decent salaries. My IRAs are now paying 0.2% and 0.3%. Definitely no incentive not to cash them in.

SSI is not the same as Social Security - xxx

[ In Reply To ..]
SSI is based on disability.

have you guys read - catherine

[ In Reply To ..]
y'all listen to this poster...my cheese is dried out and moldy and I may starve to death. The rats have overtaken us and the end is wayyyyy past. Oh woe......and this would be really funny if it were not absolute gospel truth.

Age Discrimination - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I'm 54 and I don't believed I have ever been a victim of age discrimination. I color my hair, but beyond that I think I look my age. I think if you exude confidence (not desperation) hiring folks will look at you seriously. Also, the turnover in the work we do is so high, they figure if they get a couple good years out of a staff member they're doing well. Older workers tend to get a comfy job and stay there. Just my humble opinion.

The age discrimination I am experiencing - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
isn't so much in the MT field, as in the general work force (like grocery stores, Walmart, fast food, etc.) I've also been told I'm "over qualified" for those jobs, but they certainly pay more than I'm making as an MT at the moment.
I have yet to find a retail or customer service ad - that doesnt want prior experience.
[ In Reply To ..]
Especially when it comes to cashiering. So where, exactly, does one go to learn how to operate a cash-register? They certainly don't offer that in any adult school class schedule I've ever seen.
Don't give up. I'm 60 and applied at - various retail ... xm
[ In Reply To ..]
stores (Kohl's, JCPenney, Target, Macy's), learned about and passed their "behavior assessment" tests and was invited for interviews. I was hired and started work part time at JCPenney on January 2, 2014, at 60. Don't give up!
If I may be so bold as to ask you, what are - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
retail store's starting pay rates? How do you like it so far? I've been thinking of going the same route. I just can't take much more of MM. Thanks for any information.
In my area (Washington, DC suburbs), a - cashier/sales ... sm
[ In Reply To ..]
associate at JCPenney starts at $10.00 an hour. When Penney's had a Recovery Department (associates whose job it was to keep the merchandise orderly), their starting pay was $8.50 an hour. I worked at Penney's before in 2010, and that was what the pay was then. They have since done away with the Recovery Department.

Kohl's still has a Recovery Department, and their starting pay is $8.85. Those associates don't do any register work. Their payday is once a week, on Friday. If Kohl's thinks you have what it takes and you can only work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, they'll hire you.

I think the Safeway cashiers in my area make $11.00 an hour.

Working retail is okay, but you have to be willing to work weekends and Holidays all of the time. Because you're on your feet all of the time and at the end of the day, the store has to be cleaned up, a person can burn calories. It keeps my weight down. Mind you, if the store and dressing rooms are extremely messy, you may not get off until midnight and beyond. All big sales require a lot of clean-up at the end of the night--until 1:00 a.m. sometimes (but you do get overtime if you exceed 40 hours in a week). Christmas is messy, messy because of all of the merchandise and volumes of people. Clean-up may take until 2 a.m., but the hours are limitless, and companies usually let associates work lots of hours. Great if you just bank the extra money and don't spend it on presents.

You get an associate discount which comes in very handy when you buy merchandise. Walmart won't let you use the associate discount on groceries though, but I think Target will.

As for full-time employment benefits, of course, not as good as working for regular business. However, I don't know all of the ins and outs about that because I'm part time.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I read part of it. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I will never understand the people that sit around and wait. I still make good money with MT ($20+ an hour), but I have known those days were numbered. I started another business last fall working that on my time off from MT, and I am so glad I did as I found out the account I am on is going to EMR within the next 30 days. My MTSO is very small, so there is no opportunity to change accounts and the job offers I have gotten recently have been very low paying, so I have declined them all. When my account no longer needs us MTs, I will be done with MT it seems as I cannot find another MT position that will pay me what I am currently making. I refuse to work for 6 to 7 cpl when I know there are much better opportunities out there regardless of our age.

Who moved my cheese - WXYZ

[ In Reply To ..]
I read this book and also saw the cartoon presentation. It's very over simplified and I would not advise anyone seriously seeking career guidance to waste their time on it. Secondly, OP, please stop telling people to get out, they are doing what is right for them. You made your own choice, let others make theirs. Please don't assume that people are too stupid to know what is happening. Going to school does not guarantee future employment. Working somewhere else part-time may not be the answer when one factors in the cost of a commute and possible day care expenses. My choice was never to work at home but my cheese was moved anyway. I did what was right for me, but I would never try and tell someone else what to do. I am no longer in a traditional transcription job but for me it is still a viable option. I'm 60 and have no plans to go back to school, and I don't plan to work until I am 70. You were lucky to find a hospital job with benefits and PTO; it's an issue of timing as much as anything.

Swiss Cheese - Cheddar Cheese

[ In Reply To ..]
Colby Cheese

Ratz, No Can Do - Linda Nitzschke

[ In Reply To ..]
Just my luck...I'm anti-dairy, ha! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Just a security hint .... do not use your real name - on this board

[ In Reply To ..]
No msg

Get a clue - WXYZ

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think that is her real name. Have you heard of the philosopher named Friedrich Nietzche? I think that is where this name came from.
Sorry, not getting your point - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Those are totally different names, so I must be missing your point.

Telling people to "get a clue" is offensive.
My point - WXYZ
[ In Reply To ..]
She probably had the last name misspelled. It was close enough that I (and probably others) figured it out. In any event, I seriously doubt that is the poster's real name.

no, but I'd like to know who cut the cheese? - stinky

[ In Reply To ..]
Haha

Similar Messages:

Who Moved My Cheese?-
Apr 22, 2011

I have been reading the posts of many of the unhappy MTs on this board for some time now. Seems like for those of you are happy in your present situation, so many others are just about at their "wits" in theirs. It is very sad I think to see an industry that seemed so lucrative, where you earned a decent wage for what you did, you were happy with what you did and you "loved" what you were doing. It has been rather a tough year for me. I have been out of work over a year now and there are so ma ...

Highly Recommend Both Oracle & TransTech! Sm
Nov 15, 2010

I've  only been with these 2 companies for a short time but I highly recommend both of these companies.  The people are extremely nice at both, tech support outstanding at both, both offer great platforms.  The only thing with Oracle is you have to be in a position to be slightly patient for new accounts ramping up but they are VERY accommodating, bend over backwards to help with backups and just lovely people honestly.  Can't say enough good about either one!  ...

I Highly Recommend This Free Anatomy Visual Class On Line.
Jun 19, 2010

all you have to do is sign up, its free.  It has visuals where you match the body part names to the skeleton, some powerpoint presentations, some videos and tons of quizzes.  I am taking anatomy and physiology this August on line at my college, and thought this was be a great self starter! heres the link for those who are interested.  I do highly recommend it   http://www.learnanatomyphysiology.com/ ...

FTR...highly Difficult Dictator
Mar 15, 2010

First day for me beginning FTR.  Started out very well, no markers, then BOOM!!.....right into one of the most difficult doctors.  Ugh!  This is one we discussed in our "conference call" for FTR.  This is frustrating because we were told that it does not matter how difficult the dictator is, there will be no exception as to sending anything to QA.  I'm sitting here with about 8 blanks yet to fill...unsure what to do. First time to post on this board, but I've ...

Blue Cheese Scissors
Oct 02, 2014

No VR. Wrong again. Try Bellucci scissors. ...

Comments On Dictator Input/swiss Cheese Reports
May 09, 2012

Does anyone from *Quality* ever question the dictator input? Have any of you higher-ups ever actually listened to what is being put into your high-tech systems you pay so much for? Is it any wonder that *Experienced* MTs leave blanks in reports? I've been in this field for a loooong time and some days I am appalled by what comes through my headphones. I don't believe some dictators even know the English alphabet (evidenced by attempts at spelling, even when reading from a report). I w ...

If You've Been Moved To A New Account
Nov 16, 2009

You don't know who the managers are, or even what division is falls under, and the old managers don't have a clue, how does one escalate to find out? MTQuestions? Tossed to the wolves here..but hey hey, I still have work! LOL. Slowly losing my mind on trying to get answers while restructuring in in progress. I've learned too much from the past that patience is not always a virtue. Things get lost in the shuffle. Anyone ever had this happen to them? Any suggestions. ...

S/l Moved Into The 3 To 4 Position
Nov 14, 2010

the tibial plateau and the femoral condyle. There was no meniscal injury on this side.Moving to the notch, there was significant synovitis and some loose bodies. We then moved into the ______________ position and entered the lateral compartment. Wesaw a meniscal tear at the posterolateral corner and there were also loose bodies in   s/l he is saying into the 3 to 4 position. ...

Hardly Moved Out Of Chair
Dec 09, 2010

1410 lines for $87.  I can really hook up my family with the Christmas presents on that.  Bah Humbug. ...

Moved To Main
May 27, 2011

.  ...

Has Anyone Else Heard They Are Getting Moved
Dec 14, 2012

to a new BOB and new supervisor?  Does not make any sense, except won't make any money as have to learn all new accounts. ...

Moved To DSP After Only 1 Week...Yay :)
May 20, 2013

I really like it here. ...

Anybody Getting Moved To New Accounts/CSM?
Jul 22, 2013

NM ...

Account Moved To India?
Jul 07, 2011

I saw somewhere that more accounts were moving to India on July 1.  Did that include a huge NY account including clinics that went through a large in-house audit about 2 months ago?   ...

Can Your Expanders In DQS Be Moved To Another Platform. Nm
Nov 30, 2012

nm ...

M*Modal - Drop In Their Pay Since Being Moved To This Platform?
Sep 01, 2010

I wondered if anyone has noticed a drop in their pay since being moved to this platform?  I am being paid an hourly wage in order for the system to learn my accounts and also until it starts coming in as text and we get our speed up, but I have noticed about a 200 to 300 dollar drop in my pay.  Anyone else experience this with this crappy platform?  ...

Patient's Report Moved Me To Tears
Apr 14, 2015

Have you ever had a patient's report bring you to absolute tears?  I've been doing this for nearly 9 years and this if the first time this has happended...wondering if this job is really starting to get the best of me?  ...

Question For Transcenders Whose Acct Has Moved From BS To BeyondText
Feb 09, 2011

Once your primary moved to the new platform, did you still have access to Bayscribe to work on your secondaries when work was low?  And were you told there were certain requirements you must meet in order to move with your account to BeyondText? ...

I Got Moved To Fluency Canada And Can't Figure Out How To Cap After Period
May 21, 2013

Can anyone tell me? There fluency help doesn't work.  Ugh.  ...

Oh Great. TSM Moved So Many People To 1 Day On My Shift, I Was Told To Change!
Sep 20, 2013

She demanded schedule changes of all M-F MTs because of end-of-the-week/weekend TAT problems. I wasn't concerned because my entire schedule is for those troublesome days. Now I get an email that she moved too many people to my shift, and she wants me to change!!????? It is so frustrating working here on so many levels. I can't wait until I finish school and will be out of here! ...

Am I Being A Jerk, Or Is Anyone Else Annoyed The MM Coding Stuff Was Moved To This Board?
Mar 22, 2014

I've already been through school with Andrews and am getting ready to start the transition ICD-10 course, and I honestly don't mean to be a jerk about M modal.  I do feel badly for the MTs there, but I don't see why all the MM coding talk couldn't have just stayed with the MM side of the board.  Anyone else feel the same? ...

Has Anybody Moved From MT To Working For A Car Rental Company At Home. Doesn't Sound Too Bad.
Apr 23, 2014

One ad I saw starts at $12.45 an hour. Right now I make more, but it's only a matter of time until I don't. If anyone has tried this, I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks!!!! ...

Just Want To Thank You Guys For Being Here
Apr 18, 2012

lets face it the situation rots,,,so we can make the best of a bad situation or curl up and die (cant afford the latter so)...But again thanks for the helpful hints and letting me vent now and again..Im in a better boat then most pulling a disability check from my former job...I just really wish I could do more for you all that depend on this money as your main form of income..There is no way I could do it....so any ideas you all want to try, count me in, if I get fired, I can survive, not very ...

I'm Sure You Guys Have
Mar 24, 2015

dated February 2015 http://crankalicious.hubpages.com/hub/The-Worst-Companies-to-Work-For-M-Modal some of it goes a bit far, in that we do get paid time off, but otherwise, its pretty spot on. i would so love to post this on MM's facebook page or on Twitter for their business partners to read, but i don't know how to do it anonymously.   ...

Oh God You Guys
May 18, 2015

I'm the one who posted below about the system not seeing all the work I typed today.  I uploaded a job just now and I caught it at the end saying returning job.  WHAT THE BEEP!! Has it returned all of the jobs I did today even though it says in editor I have done them?!!? I'm dying here.  I'm not pulling any more jobs now.  what is going on?!?!?  Check your lines in manager and see if it matches up with editor.  ...

Missed You Guys!!!
May 24, 2010

Been banned for a while.  We won't go into that. . . .  Glad to be back.  ...

How Often You Guys Have To Buy New Keyboard
Jun 10, 2011

I was just curious as to how often you guys have to buy new keyboards.  Seems like mine are biting the dust more often these days.  TIA.  ...

You Guys Have Inspired Me.
Mar 07, 2012

Well, it's time to go, guys. I'm saying goodbye. After 11 years in this field, I've enrolled in paralegal training. Like a lot of you, I figured transcription would get me through my working years with a home-based job and a decent wage that I could live on. Not so anymore. I still have a good job with a hospital, where my bosses claim outsourcing will never happen. Yeah, sure it won't. I went ahead and enrolled in school while I still have a decent income and the heart to le ...

You Guys Will Never Believe This ASR Mistake
Sep 13, 2012

This ASR mistake was so perfect that it is unbelievable.  It's so unbelievable that I would never have put it on here unless it was for real.  Dictated:  "M-H-C-L, all in caps" ASR:  MT agency hell hole  ...

What Do You Guys Do When A VR Report Is
Oct 02, 2013

I mean wrong as in, there will be a long run of sentences in which VR doesn't get a single word right.  I don't know WHY, because this speaker happens to speak very clearly at a decent speed and with no background noise.   Do you guys just delete everything and retype?  Do you ask your TL to be compensated as straight transcription when that happens?  Or do you make every single correction as you go along (which happens to take about 395 years to do). Also, I' ...