A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

When researching new terms/correct spelling, etc. - anon

Posted: Jan 27, 2010

Do you prefer reference books or online searches? Dorlands/Stedman's/websites? I currently use (have forever) Stedman's word books but was curous about other's thoughts on this. TIA.

I prefer online - J Neutron

[ In Reply To ..]

It is faster, there are tons more resources than I could ever procure for a physical library, and I have not found anything in a book that I could not find online.

You do have to possess the knowledge and ability to discern legit sites and accurate information from the equal (or more) amounts of crap that are available at a click.

I, too, prefer online research because it's much faster, although -- - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
--yes, you do have to be careful from which sites you take your information. More than that, though, you need to know how to search, which is an art in itself.

Personally, I generally get everything I need from Google, a good drug site, a good doc name look-up site, and a couple of others. I know some people "collect" URLs of sites with medical information of all sorts, but then you just end up with hundreds (if not thousands) of bookmarks that are hard to search through and just time-wasting. Better to use just a few online sources and learn to use the heck out of them the right way. :-)

99% online, I know where to look for best info - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
same here, online, only, and electronic books, Stedman's - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Well, know what you mean.. - jf

[ In Reply To ..]
I did pretty much the same. Collected bookmarks to the point that I had hundreds of them and really lost track of whom I should be referring to, until I found my best bookmark. Its a search engine that searches most of the bookmarks I had, medical and MT sites. Makes things much easier, don't have to look up each website to find the words I need to refer to. Just punch in my query and voila! I end up getting my answer about 9/10 times. If you wanna try this out, the link is below, where it says "URL/Link"

for sure online, how can you research a "new" term in an old book? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
what do yu mean by "new?"

One that is unknown to you or a newly invented term or med?

Similar Messages:

Which Is The Correct Spelling?
Nov 25, 2009

hemachromatosis or hemochromatosis ...

Correct Spelling?
Apr 20, 2013

Is it plantarflexion or plantar flexion? ...

Correct Spelling.
May 10, 2013

In reference to a catheterization report, the provider stated what sounded like Roto Ablation, the MTE typed roto ablation, in researching I have found both, but I have edited it as rotablation. Is roto ablation correct term to use? ...

Paraopthalmic Or Parophthalmic, Which Spelling Is Correct?
Apr 20, 2010

x ...

Correct Spelling Of Medication Cephoxolyn
Sep 21, 2011

I can't seem to find the correct spelling of this medication.  Sounds like cephoxolyn or spelled phonetically suffoxalin.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance. ...

Can Anyone Verify The Correct Spelling, Kitner/Kittner??? Nm
Apr 13, 2010

. ...

What Is The Correct Spelling Of Novocaine? I'm Having A Memory Lapse
Dec 26, 2011

x ...

"easy Mask" Anesthesia. Need Correct Spelling. Sm
Oct 08, 2011

The patient was put to sleep using "easy mask."  Can anyone tell me if this is a brand name, and if so how is it spelled?  I can't find it in my references nor by googling.  Thanks! ...

? Correct Spelling Of "Berger's Disease" "Burgeur's" ?
Feb 15, 2010

nm ...

Researching ... Suggestions?
May 05, 2010

I have been working for at a new job for a few weeks.  The acute care account has a lot of ESLs and a lot of operative reports.  Well I haven't done a whole lot of operative reports in my 3 years, some but not a lot.  I am spending so much time researching things to fill in blanks.  I have some good websites, but if there are any good tips anyone wants to share, I would be thrilled.  ...

So I Was Researching A Different Career And - Sm
Feb 23, 2012

one of them was medical assisting.  I went to the American Association of Medical Assistants website and had a bit of deja vu...  There are 4 certifications one can get - CMA, RMA, CCMA, and NCMA.  They, of course, were kind enough to point out the differences and I swear I was reading the AHDI site, especially the part about membership dues and recertification CEUs.  You'd think an MA was an MA, but I guess not.  I originally was just trying to research whether or ...

If You Are Researching An MTSO That Has Never Been Mentioned (sm)
Aug 21, 2010

on this board and BBB has no listing for them where can you go to do a research of them other than paying for a background search?  I tried the "Yellow Pages" but it doesn't yield much information.  Would appreciate any info.  ...

Since We Don't Get Paid For Researching And Manually
Feb 14, 2013

entering all these CCs, why are we required to do it?  Aren't we by contract supposed to be paid for every character we type??  How are they getting away with this?  I just spent over 10 minutes searching and entering CCs for about a 12-line report.  So the majority of the time I spent on the report, I didn't even get paid for. ...

RESEARCHING AN MTSO'S REP, FISCAL INTEGRITY, ETC.: HOW TO?
Jul 22, 2012

Dear Colleagues, I'm in between jobs and need to find MT work stat.  I want to avoid disreputable MTSOs; I want to "head them off at the pass", so to speak. Does anyone have a method by which they research the reputation, financial integrity, etc., of an MTSO before they proceed with even submitting their resume to them?  It's not the most prudent idea in the world to give your own personal data to an online entity who has the potential to misuse or abuse them. I h ...

Spelling Versus Not Spelling
Feb 11, 2011

I never thought I'd say this, but a dictator can do too much spelling.  There is one at my company who spells out every single medication.  While this is normally helpful, this doctor's pronounciation leaves a little to be desired.  It would be much simpler for him to just say the name of the medication.  ...

Needing To Upgrade From Word 2003 To At Least 2007. However, In Researching ... SM
Jan 04, 2015

prices and features, it seems like 2007 is not as well liked as 2010. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these, and what is best used for MT?  I work on ChartScript, MedRite XL, and I-Scriptor.   I'm kind of leaning toward 2010, and I found a good price at the link below. Would love for someone to look and see if it seems legitimate. http://shop.advantageittech.com/Microsoft-Office-Professional-Plus-2010-Download-MSO10DL.htm   Thanks for all your help! ...

Terms
Jul 16, 2010

X-rays shows questioning loosening of s/l acetoid process in the left. Broken s/l schakloz wires. The doc is examining the patient's hips. Any help much apreciated. Thank you!   ...

EKG Terms
Dec 16, 2010

Does anyone have a good site for EKG terms.  I have this physician using terms I have never heard before like what sounds like "white count fixed ectopy" and maybe my brain is just tired (like that is anything new :0) but for the life of me I cannot figure out what he is saying.  I HATE to leave blanks so any help would be much appreciated at this wonderful hour of the night ( 12 am here) Thanks!! ...

X-ray Terms
Apr 18, 2011

Is it 3 view x-ray or a three-view x-ray or does it matter? thanks in advance! ...

Help - EKG Terms
Nov 26, 2012

I have 2 blanks not able to understand.  The first one sounds like oil or soil and the second one sounds like towish (tow like towel) maybe tawlish.  A 12-lead EKG showed a slightly sinus _____ pattern in the 1 and _____ P wave in lead 2, so I cannot rule out the possibility of borderline atrial enlargement. TIA ...

Can Anyone Help Me With These Terms
Mar 02, 2015

I am not a medical transcriptionist.  I usually do general transcription.  I have a doctor speaking, using some terminology I cannot find.  May I give you a phonetic description of what I think he is saying?  If anyone recognizes this, could you please give me some suggestions on what you think he is saying. I'm hearing "brocoderal species" that causes "glanders amyloidosis".  Does this ring any bells for anyone?   ...

Help With Ophthalmology Terms
Jun 18, 2010

Need some help with these terms that are some type of eye surgery.  They are mentioned in the past medical history. Resident dictates what sounds like "rule-op-sis" to the right eye (spells this rulptoss, which I am sure doesn't spell anything!) and "lul-pop-tosis" to the left eye (spells this lulptosos, which also doesn't spell anything!).  I would greatly appreciate any ideas you have! I am on my last nerve with these students, residents, foreign doctors, etc., being ...

Transcription Terms
Oct 14, 2010

The sentence "Hemodialysis was done on that day, and one liter of fluid was removed"  is one liter  correct or is it 1L or 1 liter???? ...

Terms In EP Report
Mar 12, 2012

Anyone familiar with these terms, can't even hear him well enough to get a s/l    The P onset ________ was 0, the P onset *DVJ or AVJ* was 13.     TIA!    ...

Missing Terms
Oct 03, 2012

Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. There is subluxation of the right thumb with limitation of motion include 4/5 apposition. There is considerable weakness of the right hand when compare to the left. There is decrease in the right radial reflex. The subluxation is probably secondary to the absence of ______ _____ of original fixation. Loose component, total joint replacement, right metacarpal joint. Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. I am struggling to figure ...

Dental Terms
Jan 21, 2014

In a dispute with supv'r over spelling of some dental words.  Can anyone verify and give source especially for: prophy vs. phrophy paste. enameloplasty vs. enamelplasty.   There was one more, but I cannot remember right now.  Thanks!   ...

DSG In Terms Of Their Work Flow
Feb 09, 2010

I am curious as to how people who work for DSG feel about DSG in terms of their work flow and if you have enough work to fill a 40-hour week.  If you prefer private e-mail, that's fine.  Not looking for either slamming or touting the company, but I do want OBJECTIVE information, which would include if you run out of work consistently or, conversely, if you have plenty of work to keep you going 40 hrs a week.  Just the facts please.  "I run out of work all the time," "I have plenty of ...

Anatomical And Directional Terms
Aug 05, 2010

Can you combine any two anatomical or directional terms, just because they are dictated adjacent to each other? ...

Two OB/GYN Terms (abbreviations) Unfamiliar With
Oct 10, 2010

Haven't done enough of these complicated OB reports I guess.  Doc says patient had what sounds like "COREO" (in which she lost the baby) and something that sounds like "TOCOS" in relation to some cervical irritability.  Can't find anything to verify either.  Any suggestions?   ...

Where Do I Send The Reqs To Fix ASR Terms
Jul 10, 2012

tired of fixing wrong terms that look right..starting my list again..Dont know why I bother they send them to India who screws them up and its just a cycle...I like to bang my head against the wall too!!! ...