A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What ever happened to classy, intelligent, dignified people who - can communicate without 4 letter words

Posted: Dec 28, 2011

Have you noticed the trend?  There are some posters who write thoughtful messages which are well written. They are often responded to by people who attack with the best they have to offer,  ignorant, 4-letter words. No wonder they aren't successful. I wouldn't hire them. If I hired them, I wouldn't keep them on.

what happened? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The MTSOs started paying minimum wage and all the bozo's came out of the woodwork!

One happening doesn't excuse another, does it? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer - mama says

[ In Reply To ..]
:)
I think you just proved the OP's point. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
There is nothing productive, professional, or businesslike about sarcasm. It's a great crutch when people lack communication skills, but that's the business we're all supposed to be in. We're supposed to have the ability to communicate with appropriate words, not rudeness, 4-letter words, and sarcastic comments.

I definitely believe that there are many people who pretend to be qualified to work in medical transcription who prove by their actions and their words that they lack what it takes.
Proved the point - LeeLee
[ In Reply To ..]
Very nicely put. People resort to abusive, rude language when they have nothing to back up their opinion/comments, etc. or are not intelligent enough to choose more appropriate words to convey their thoughts.
it was supposed to prove the point - four letter words
[ In Reply To ..]
Pretend to be qualified? Really?

Anyone who has ever interviewed and tested MTs knows what that means - I know what it means
[ In Reply To ..]
Just put out an add for any MT opening. Interview and test a few people who apply. I know exactly.
Oh good GRIEF! - SarcasmNotInSameClassAsProfanity
[ In Reply To ..]
You just lumped sarcasm into the same category as 4-letter words.

Sarcasm is an exceptional form of humorous communication that only few can truly appreciate. There's no comparison between sarcasm and profanity.

Generalize much?
I appreciate sarcasm - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
As a matter of fact, I use it daily as a form of healing. I am lonely and have no one to talk to, and sometimes I actually get a chuckle out loud when I am sarcastic.
Sarcasm is not very becoming though, and makes a person hard if they make it a habit - It is an unpleasant way to live a life
[ In Reply To ..]
As you say, you have a choice whether to live you life sarcastically or not. I just think there is a better way to do it. I think that would be called sincerity. I like sincerity much better.
sarcasm has not made me "hard" - life made me "hard"
[ In Reply To ..]
Sarcasm helps me deal with the "hard."
That makes for a hard life - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
No, it doesn't - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
Here's something to contemplate - isn't it interesting that sarcasm rhymes with orgasm? Could it be they both give a great deal of pleasure (at least for some of us)?

bwaaaa haaaa haaaa haaaa - evil laugh
[ In Reply To ..]
That was WAY TOO FUNNY
Thank you, I got inspired by all the Miss Manners and Dear Abbys on this board - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you - I can be a "toughie" too - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
Still, can't a person be both hard and soft? I think so. I think of some crusty octogenarian with their grandchild - and they're sweet as pie. I've seen it! We probably have all witnessed something similar.

So let's all cut ourselves some slack, and enjoy what's left of the holidays (although Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day and the First Day of Spring are fresh new holidays to look forward to).

Not being sarcastic with that last bit there :)
You've got a good point - Following your point
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't disagree with you about that. I would add though that once the 'crustiness' tips over to the point where all you see is the vulgarity, something is lost. I'm not being sarcastic either. In fact, it's not my job to convince people to be something they aren't. I would suggest that if someone really isn't as vulgar and tacky as their words say they are, they might want to consider working on that, if they want to. It's not my problem. I'm good at surrounding myself with spirited, intelligent people, who really know how to present their ideas without stooping to vulgarity. That's my preference. We all get to choose.
whatever floats your boat - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
if sarcasm helps people (and seems MANY people find it helpful as a stress reducer), great! If sincerity helps people (and seems MANY people find it helpful as a stress reducer) (hmm, I think I already said that), great!

It's possible to be sarcastic in some situations and "sincere" in others (not sure what you mean by sincere - because can't a person be sincerely sarcastic?).

It's also possible to be judgmentally sincere, and a whole rainbow of other ways of expressing ourselves - ?? It doesn't mean it's a "way to live a life" - that gives a terrible amount of importance to some comments on some anonymous message board, doesn't it?

But sarcasm, irony, hyperbole, oh I can't think of them all - satire - they do effectively communicate SOMETHING meaningful - why else would you be wasting your time criticizing it, if it didn't touch some nerve, you maybe don't want to admit to????
No, I just feel sorry for people who live their live in sarcasm and 4-letter words - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I just want more for them.
You want "more" for them? - looney
[ In Reply To ..]
You are posting on a CHAT BOARD and you want MORE for people? Go donate some time somewhere and let those with "Sarcasm Issues" alone. Did ya ever hear of "God is my only judge?" Stop assuming those people have less of a life than you.
well said - ...
[ In Reply To ..]
I am known for being extremely articulate. My vocabulary is both vast and colorful. I require not the false atruism of someone who wants "more" for me.
Well, you can't control what they think or the fact that they want better for you - Something you cannot control
[ In Reply To ..]
It's true that 'they' can't change your or 'help' you, but you also can't change the fact that they wish better for you.
Do you like George Carlin? - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
He lived his life in sarcasm + 4-letter words, and he seemed to make out okay :)
George Carlin - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Thrilled to see George Carlin mentioned here. Was so sad when he passed away. He not only lived a life with sarcasm and 4-letter words, he was RIGHT! Take a listen sometime. He understands completely and conveys so well the mentality of most people and the affects they have on most everyone's life on some level. He was a wonderful comedian!
Whatever - Anne
[ In Reply To ..]
I think that there are a lot of cases where people are 'sincerely sarcastic' and cases when people are 'sincerely judgmental.' From reading the posts here, it seems like there are some people who are grouping every word into one category without taking into consideration the who, what, where, and why of the situation. There is always a reason for everything and that reason isn't always the person. Sometimes other people push people to extremes for no other reason except for being mean all the while keep a smile on their face and their composure; it probably is easy to maintain as the person doing the provoking. It appears that there are a lot of MTs who are really judgmental -- just my thoughts -- and make assumptions according to their own perspective.
Not becoming to whom? That is subjective. - KnowTheDifference
[ In Reply To ..]
Some people -- including men -- appreciate sarcasm and sarcastic women.

Just because it's not becoming to YOU doesn't mean that it's not becoming to OTHERS.

You state it as though it were a FACT. You are confusing OPINION (yours) with FACT.
I don't believe that - memt
[ In Reply To ..]
our job as an MT really involves much communicating with anybody. We are isolated in our homes and our job is to listen to others, i.e. the dictators, and type what they say. We are not here to communicate professionally with the MTSO's clients. I believe that the majority of people, when put into a professional situation such as a job interview or speaking with their employer, would not use 4-letter words or vulgar language. I find it hard to believe that those of you who are claiming you never use inappropriate language truly never do. Everybody gets frustrated and upset and sometimes speaking with "4-letter words" just happens. It it can be a way of releasing built of stress and anger. But I think most people know when vulgar language is inappropriate, such as in a business-like situation. To speak with sarcasm or not-so-pleasant words on this forum does not make you a bad person, nor does it completely define what type of person you are.
I'm convinced that it does represent a person if not totally define them - but over time it does define them
[ In Reply To ..]
It's a bad habit that takes over and does end up defining the person.

classy/intelligent - LeeLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Very nicely stated. I have become the brunt of someone's rudeness (complete stranger to me) because she/he did not care for what I said. Refuse to read anything at all they now post as I have no time for hateful people. Much rather spend my time communicating with others such as yourself.

ain't it the truth - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
It's like no one can carry on a conversation anymore!

Someone asks a simple question, and before you know it, people are throwing hate around and blaming ESLs and Obama!

Ha, ha, ha - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
What happened to them? Their pay was cut in half with VR, they got a ton of secretarial work dumped on them, and they were told the whole field would disappear in 2-3 years.

I think that's what happened to all the dignified and classy responses.

And that turns them into rude, vulgar people? I don't think so - Not buying it

[ In Reply To ..]
They were already rude and vulgar to begin with. Circumstances didn't cause it. That kind of speech wasn't allowed in my family, and I am thankful that I learned to communicate with real words. All it would take would be a little bit of effort to improve the rough speech, but the fact that they aren't willing to do it says it all.

Not buying it - LeeLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Your post sums it up! People make a CHOICE to be rude. We had parents that were very loving and did not tolerate inappropriate language. Circumstances can put anyone on edge, but they also show the world what you are made of by the way you handle them.
It's simply a matter of character and good taste - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
I would much rather work with a person who is gracious, refined, polite, and well-mannered. Wouldn't anyone?
Is it something a person can learn though if they weren't taught well growing up? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Yes, a person can learn to be civil - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
My housekeeper came from a very sad background--abusive alcoholic parents, terrible childhood, etc. She chooses to be a gracious, kind and polite person, is a delight to be around, and has more business than she knows what to do with. She actually has to turn clients away.

Not buying it - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not buying it, either. When I was a little kid, years and years ago, I once said "damn it" to my mother. Don't ask me why, she did not curse, but I was about 5 years old and decided to try out a new word. Well, she waltzed me into the bathroom, washed my mouth with Ivory soap and said "We don't use that kind of language in this house." Now you hear 5-year olds saying the F-word.

Whatever happened? - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Your message really struck me. I feel as you do. Although I am no longer in a hiring position, some of the things that would turn me off were:
1. Anyone who used the expression "sucks" was automatically eliminated from consideration. It is trash talk and I do not want it on my team.
2. People who use text-speak for inquiries, i.e., R U Hrg? The BlackBerry has no greater fan than this old gal, but text speak for BUSINESS INQUIRES? Um, no.
3. The infamous F-bomb. No, I do not have tender or delicate ears. In certain neighborhoods of our fair city you can hear the F-word in stereo if you open the window--people will say it on both sides of the street. But I lose respect for anyone--be they an MT or physician, who uses it. And believe it or not, I have heard it aplenty from docs! So much for having class.

OldPro - LeeLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Right there with you "Old Pro" from another old pro. Can quickly tell the caliber of someone in the way they conduct themselves both when someone when looking and when not. Speech reveals tremendous information about a person, especially their delivery.

My dad cured me of 4-letter words when I was an adult! - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked in a very high-stress environment. Once a word slipped out when I was talking to him and he explained a few things about what our family did and didn't do, what was acceptable and what was not. I think that's the last time I said one of those words, and you know what? I haven't missed any part of it. I like a more gracious tone. It's the person I want to be.

My dad- Old Pro - LeeLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Love your story, and I bet I would have loved your dad! Mine was like that, too. You always knew exactly where you stood with him and what he thought. He had a way of communicating that got the point across without being mean or condescending. He also never walked away from, or ended any conversation with his family that he did not tell you he loved you. Sure do miss him, even after 23 years. He was truly one of a kind and a GREAT example of how men should treat women. Learned a lot from him.

You ARE Your Words - On Being A More Intelligent Communicator

[ In Reply To ..]
You ARE your words. A kind, thoughtful person says kind, thoughtful things. We get to know them because of the things they say. We really don't get to know the sarcastic, 4-letter word people. I refuse to believe that they ARE that. I refuse to believe that the 4-letter words and sarcastic comments represent them. At least I hope not. I think they can do a better job of representing themselves, unless that's who they really are.

I don't want to know people who really are what the tacky language says they are. I would prefer to think that they are better than that. Maybe they have low self-esteem and the words really do represent what they think of themselves. I want better things for them than they apparently want for themselves.

Little careless there with your terms - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
"tacky" and "sarcastic" are two very different things. They don't just roll into one.

I disagree. I think sarcastic answers are tacky. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are people who are unable to reply or comment about anything without being sarcastic. Okay, maybe 'tacky' isn't the best word for it. Maybe ignorant would be a better term. Not that all of the people doing it are ignorant, but the comments are.

Similar Messages:

Wow Alpha...classy
Nov 18, 2014

Just 2 weeks after being laid off along with many others, Alpha has the gaul to post an ad looking for MTs....really???? why were we let go then???  Oh but you have to live in certain states?  What's up with that????  ...

MD-IT Intelligent
Aug 22, 2013

I was wondering about MD-IT Intelligent. I see Northeast Transcription has merged with them. Are they good to work for? Do they have good pay, benefits and hours? I can't seem to really find anything on them. I don't want to apply to a company that cannot keep me busy. ...

I Wonder If Residents Think It Makes Them Sound More Intelligent
Jun 24, 2013

to spit out words at 90 miles an hour?  I wish they knew how ridiculous they sound.  Of course, this goes for some physicians who are way past residency, too.  What a morning.  This job is beginning to get on my last nerve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...

Has This Happened To You?
Dec 21, 2009

I just wondered...has anyone ever made a mistake on a report (which was your fault and you readily admit you screwed up) and get an email stating:  please explain why you made that mistake because the client is waiting for an explanation??!!!  WTH?  Yes, I purposely made that error because I wanted too?  I enjoy making critical errors?  My error was most likely a keystroke error that I failed to catch..I admit it.  I try to be as careful as possible but I am human. ...

What Happened To Me?
Apr 21, 2010

I started my bartending class yesterday.. first time I have done anything outside the house in 7 years.  I was terrified. I don't think I really realized how isolating and stressful working for the Q at home really was.  I had almost forgotten what it was like to interact with real people, doing something that was real and down to earth. But I had a wonderful time, terrified though I was.  I still feel like I've been totally reborn, and I am so relieved to be out of th ...

Has This Happened To You? What To Do?
May 06, 2010

I just to recently switched to a whole new region, supervisor and QA supervisor with 3 days notice because of ONE particular account I transcribe on. I had been typing the previous accounts for over 5 years. Since the switch two weeks ago,  I have now TEN new accounts that I type for with all new CP's, set-ups and dictators; however, I have noted AT ALL the account for which I had previously typed which was the reason I was transferred in the first place!! Furthermore, there& ...

What Happened?
Jun 21, 2010

DocQScribe froze trying to download next report.  Tried to check Q E-mail while I was waiting and it is "not available."  Am I the last to know something? ...

Has This Ever Happened To You?
Oct 11, 2010

Occasionally when I'm doing an ASR report and insert a QA marker the yellow cursor marker will go away and the cursor goes to the end of the report.  Then I have to scroll back through the report to find my place and if I lift my foot off the foot pedal it happens again.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  It's irritating on a really long report.  TIA. ...

What Has Happened To MT'ing?
Jun 14, 2011

(I am not a "suit." :-) ) I would like to know from some of you what is the going rate now (really) for lines per hour or hourly pay and if there are even steady hours anymore. I just can't believe that this "profession" has gone downhill so much and downhill so quickly in even the last 5 years. I wonder what the next 5 years will look like or if there will even be MTs? If anyone has left the "profession" because they just can't make a living doing this anymore, what are you doing n ...

What Happened To The Job Ad
Jul 03, 2012

that was just on there earlier and now it's gone? I was going to send an email, came back to get the address and the posting is gone. Must have hired someone already? ...

What Do You Think Might Have Happened...
Jan 07, 2013

When I signed on this morning, I pulled down 3 reports.  I did the first one and went back to find just one left.  What happened to the other report?  Please let me know if you know.  Thanks ...

What Happened To JG?
Jan 24, 2013

I am curious to know if you got any responses to your emails.  ...

Anyone Know What Happened
Jan 28, 2013

to DF with MDI? Is she still there somewhere on board with Nuance. Wonder what she thinks about all of this, not that it really matters at this point, just curious... ...

Anyone Know What Happened With
Mar 01, 2013

Transcend law suit? I haven't seen it mentioned recently and wondered if it was still going on or settled. Anyone know? ...

This Ever Happened To Anyone?
May 18, 2013

You are made part time because you can't make full time line counts due to low work volumes, then when you go part time, you are given more accounts? ...

First, What Happened To OSi?? LOL ..
Jul 22, 2013

Used to work there but have been gone awhile and have been gone from these boards just as long.  Did they finally shut down??   My second question .. is there ANYONE out there still hiring radiology transcriptionists or has every radiology job out there been sold out to PowerScribe?  ...

Does Anyone Know What Exactly Happened In Oct?-sm
Aug 14, 2013

That is when I got a new CSM and they said they were "restructuring" and some CSMs were going to deal only with MTs and some only with customers.  My new CSM said her old MTs were always running out of work because THEY said the average MT could do "x amount" of dictation and most of hers could do twice that, and so when she got the "new-to-her" MTs and accounts, then we all started running out of work. ...

SGS...what Happened?
Mar 13, 2014

Hi all.  Is SGS still an MT company?  Did it get sold?  Did it change to coding only?  Does anyone know?    Thanks in advance for anything you can tell me. B ...

I'm Sure This Has Happened To Some Of You
Jul 19, 2014

Having been at this job for only five months, I've noticed certain new behaviors in myself that can only be attributed to the stressors of this job: Insomnia Stress eating Stress drinking Stress shopping  I know have to eliminate some of the above behaviors in order to attain a state of well-being. I have to thank god that I inherited my mom's pension after she passed away, because if it weren't for her pension supplementing my income, I would have told MModal to � ...

What Happened To The MT
Mar 09, 2015

for failing Jan and Feb audits? Curious how it went. ...

What Happened To My Post?
Oct 19, 2009

I had a post about how much to ask for my Stedman's books & Infinity USB foot pedal, and now it is gone. It has not been moved anywhere. Where is it? ...

What Happened To CyMed
Nov 18, 2009

Does anyone know what became of CyMed?  I worked for them about 3 years ago and have been away from transcription.  I left on good terms and thought about reapplying but they seem to have vanished?  What happened? ...

Just Wondering Whatever Happened
Jan 07, 2010

I was bored and reading posts today when I realized that the poster known as "Pug Mom" seems to have disappeared into thin air.  I don't know when she disappeared because today is the first day I noticed it, but she seemed to have quite a few issues going on and I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to her. Anyway, no biggie, just noticed the absence of a fellow poster and thought I'd see if anyone here knew her and if she was okay.  ...

Transcend/MDI - Has This Happened To Anyone Else?
Feb 03, 2010

I was an "MDIer" for the past year and 2 days ago we became Transcend.  Even though I was considered part-time with MDI, I was really FT because of the hours/reports I typed (radiology).  Since MDI didn't offer benefits, I was excited to be given the chance for FT benefits with Transcend.  The hype from the higher-ups in e-mails made me very hopeful for the merge.  I filled out all the paperwork for benefits, received my dental and vision cards and yesterday the bombshel ...

So, What Happened To Spheris?
Feb 11, 2010

It probably has been discussed already, but I haven't been here in a while.  But, what happened with them?  Why did they go bankrupt?  ...

Whatever Happened To Gourdpainter? I Used To Really
Apr 26, 2010

// ...

QA Question....has This Happened To You?
May 06, 2010

As stated in my previous post, I have been typing all new accounts for the last 2 weeks with no training whatsoever. I got a "critical error" report back because of the number of blanks I had put into the report and sent directly to the client. When reviewing the report, I noticed that some of the blanks were not caused by me at all, but by the QA person rewording the dictation to his/her liking. Furthermore, this QA person had re-added in prohibited abbreviations where I had taken them out (add ...

What Happened To MT Career?
Jun 04, 2010

I am reading on this board and seeing that people from Medquist are being let go, places are being bought out, hospitals are selling in-house to the outside services now.  The services charge a decent amount of money to these hospitals, but we see pennies of it.  What is sad is that what we do is very important, yet we are treated like all we do is type words (and anyone who has done ESL docs know it isn't just words - it's format, it's incorrect pronunciation, inco ...