A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Transitioning MTs - REVISED. - deenibeeni

Posted: Jul 10, 2012

I'd like to suggest a forum devoted specifically to options for MTs looking to get out of transcription. Not for discussions of how bad it's gotten, etc., but a place where MTs can share (and easily find) concrete ideas (links, newspaper articles, etc.) for jobs or educational programs that might be a good fit for a new career for a medical transcriptionist. Or perhaps a board, a lot like a job board, with alphabetized listings or categorized by type of work. From what I can see, MTs are desperately looking for options.

(A couple of hours and nasty posts later)

All I can say is, Wow.

The whole thing started out feeling so fun & nice. Now I have that sick, anxious feeling I would get from being attacked by someone on MTStars (see the posts below, you'll know who I mean), which has happened more than once in the years I was coming to this board. I thought I'd relate what happened to me and hoped some people get a hopeful feeling and maybe some ideas for a new career out of it. I know that it's hard even to look for options when you feel really beaten down.

But this isn't fun anymore, & the time I put into posting & even some of the wonderful well wishes & expressions of gratitude, aren't worth feeling this bad. And I have to say, I feel really bad right now. I've never been thick-skinned enough for this board.

To all of you who enjoyed hearing about my copyediting adventure, I wish you the best. To any of you who are so unhappy, for whatever reason, that you feel the need to attack people with sincere intentions, I wish you the best.

d

I'll support whatever brings more good input like yours, - although just renaming this board may do. :) NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

But this is an MT Board. There are many of job boards on the web. - Try Goggle. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Why do some continue to try to turn this site into something it is not. If you want a job outside of MTing, why don't you go to the numerous job sites and job boards on the internet?? Do not remain stuck here because you do not know where to go. Move on. Do some research yourself. What you are saying is you want out of MT, and you want this site to tell you how to do it.

This is MTSTARS, A WEBSITE FOR THE MT COMMUNITY.

Because as a community, - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
I did move on, but I'm trying to help other MTs who are trying to. I'd like to think we can help each other in all phases of our careers: "new MTs," working MTs, and MTs looking to try something else. And because we understand what our skill set is and what other fields it might apply to, and because there are a lot of very discouraged MTs on the board who could use a little help & inspiration about what to do next. As far as I can tell, the MTs who responded to my post about "How I Got Out" are all still working MTs.

(I'm sure not going to miss the snarkiness of this board.)

Deenibeeni, why on earth are you still here? - Start your own blog. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You state you will not miss the snarkiness on this board in response to people who do not agree with you, but who were also NOT being snarky. You state the moderator is "burnt out." Excuse me, how do you know this and why would you say this? You want someone to provide you with a job board? Who is being snarky? Go start your own board. She did not agree with your request, and you say she is "unwilling to help." I don't know why this is so hard to understand, but this is AN MT BOARD, get it?

You state for a year you have been trying to "help MTs transition." You call the rest of us "sitting ducks," I believe it was? Who is being snarky? That is simply your opinion. First of all, there are still many productive and happy MTs, even if you are not one of them. That is why they come here, IT'S AN MT BOARD. I am not sure why you have taken upon yourself to "help" transition MTs, but this is not the place to do it. You say it is hard to go to a board for a profession that you do not even know exists. Sorry, but that really is your problem. You are asking MTStars to do job searches for you in a different field besides MT? Are you off your rocker?

I agree, there does need to be a job board and web site for transitioning MTs, and there are probably plenty of them, just not here. IT'S AN MT BOARD. So with a little effort and doing your own research, you will probably find just what you are looking for. Unfortunately, you probably cannot list those resources here because IT'S AN MT BOARD. Good luck to you and all those you feel need your help.
excuse me, but - transitioning MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I wrote that post about the burnt out moderator AND I am a working MT. I'm also transitioning to other aspects of medical records and have recently gotten an degree in HIT. I take responsibility for what I say on this board.

That said, I have to agree that we've heard enough about this copyediting job. It's starting to sound like one long advertisement.
I think you are a female lobster. - deenibeeni
[ In Reply To ..]
You state you will not miss the snarkiness on this board in response to people who do not agree with you, but who were also NOT being snarky. You state the moderator is "burnt out."

*****Where on earth are you getting your info?

Excuse me, how do you know this and why would you say this?

*****I don't, and I didn't.

You want someone to provide you with a job board? Who is being snarky? Go start your own board. She did not agree with your request, and you say she is "unwilling to help."

*****Once again, are we talking about the same post?

I don't know why this is so hard to understand, but this is AN MT BOARD, get it?

You state for a year you have been trying to "help MTs transition."

*****I haven't been doing this for a year, I did my original post on Saturday.

You call the rest of us "sitting ducks," I believe it was?

*****I think this is one of the parallel-universe posts you are quoting from.

Who is being snarky? That is simply your opinion. First of all, there are still many productive and happy MTs, even if you are not one of them. That is why they come here, IT'S AN MT BOARD. I am not sure why you have taken upon yourself to "help" transition MTs, but this is not the place to do it. You say it is hard to go to a board for a profession that you do not even know exists. Sorry, but that really is your problem. You are asking MTStars to do job searches for you in a different field besides MT?

*****Uh, no, I suggested that people who found good information on alternatives or study courses could post information.

Are you off your rocker? I agree, there does need to be a job board and web site for transitioning MTs, and there are probably plenty of them, just not here. IT'S AN MT BOARD. So with a little effort and doing your own research, you will probably find just what you are looking for. Unfortunately, you probably cannot list those resources here because IT'S AN MT BOARD. Good luck to you and all those you feel need your help.

****I'm just going to let that settle for a minute. That is one MEAN post.

******I don't think you understand that I am already long gone. I haven't worked as an MT for 9 mos, I started doing editing awhile back. I came back to the board to sell some stuff after a long absence, and on the spur of the moment it occurred to me to share what my experience had been, what I did to get out. That was what the post was called: "How I Got Out." It was basically one line and the link to the school I went to, that was it. The response was very positive, 700+ views, and the only reason I keep posting (and this is FYI to the person who thinks it's an advertisement) is because so many people were interested, kept posting and sending me emails with questions I thought might benefit the rest of those who are trying to break new ground. Silly me.

*****I think you are projecting in a really violent way. I think it's around the "help" issue. Maybe, what, I'm just guessing here...You feel you need help and that feels shameful to you, so you project that others think you need help and feel you are shameful because of it? Or you can't imagine someone would want to share the benefit of her experience without feeling pity for those who are interested in hearing about it? Or you think there's some kind of hierarcy, the helper and the help-ee? Or you can't imagine people would simply be curious and interested and not even need help? I don't know. Whatever inspires you to be so nasty, I hope you change it, and soon.

*****Where did I hear this...The difference between male and female lobsters? You have to use a lid with male lobsters when you cook them, because they will climb all over each other trying to get out, so you need a lid to keep them in. With female lobsters, you don't need a lid because they try to pull each other back into the pot.

well, personally - transitioning MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm just happy for anyone that saw the writing on the wall and set out to better their future, and that includes you Deenibeeni.

I'm not sure exactly what copy editing is, but it has been recommended to me that with my many years of transcription experience, along with EMR training, I would be qualified for a Technical Documentation job (writing/proofing technical manuals, etc.)

I want to get back in touch with patient care in some form, which is why I got into the medical field, so I'm going to continue my studies in HIT/Cancer Tumor Registry.

Opportunity abounds, if we choose to pursue it.
How rude - sunshine
[ In Reply To ..]
This lady was just trying to be helpful. Why are you jumping all over her? What a rude and uncalled for post. I imagine you as being one h*ll of an unhappy person.

But yeah, I'll definitely try "Goggle." nm. - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Your response - MODERATOR

[ In Reply To ..]
There are pleanty of discussions on the Main Board about job opportunities beyond MT. This forum is for MTs to discuss their work, companies, questions, etc. If you want to work in another field, find a chat board that deals with that field.

I understand that, but .............(addendum) - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
It's hard to find a chat board for a profession you don't know exists.

But that's okay. The main board will do. I'm not going to be posting much anymore. It just wouldn't MT Stars if it couldn't make me feel crushed.

(Just so you know, I'm not suggesting this for myself. I'm already out of transcription. I'm not looking for a job or an educational program or a board that deals with my new profession. I have all those.

There was a huge response to my short post about what I switched to & how I did it. I thought making that kind of info easier for MTs to find would be a good thing. Apparently I was mistaken. You either want to keep up with the changing needs of your viewership or you don't. Good luck, whatever you decide.)

Deenibeeni - I thank you

[ In Reply To ..]
I ordered a book on copyediting because of your post the other day. I found it an interesting transition and now I have some hope that I can get out of this industry.

We're all MTs here who want to help each other. Maybe alternative careers will not get their own board, but I hope that we still continue to come here and offer advice and suggestions for peers who need options.

Let's face it, finding a new career is part of being an MT at this point.
Unfortunately, copyediting is one of those careers everyone thinks they can do because - they like to write
[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone thinks they can write, so the new fun thing is to write novels or do copyediting. Maybe we should start a thread about what the next new thing is going to be, so everyone can be one of the first in so they'll have a chance before the crowds arrive. It's way too late for copyediting jobs. That field is oversaturated. If you want to write a novel, be prepared to publish it yourself. There are too many would-be writers and editors.
Wow. - I do not thank you
[ In Reply To ..]
There is a difference between copyediting and writing a novel.

My husband is on his second novel, and I was his proofreader for the first, which is how we met.

But thanks for the kind words of advice. I suppose there is no need for new authors in the world.
Sure, there is a great need for more new authors in the world - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
There can be as many new authors as people who believe they can write. There will always be a need for new authors. The question is, will they be able to make a living doing it? I suspect that some will do very well.
I also ordered a book on copy editing, so thank you. I'll never - be an author, but I could be a good copy editor.
[ In Reply To ..]
In fact, I once worked for a large agency rewriting insurance investigation reports to meet legal and professional standards (ex-cops especially often need help), but the job title, whatever it was, wasn't copy editor. I was officially in the risk management department.

I don't know why I didn't seriously consider this before, and I really appreciate Deeniebeenie's heads up on this. A game changer coming at the right time. I intend to head straight for remote medical, and perhaps some cleaning up of grad student papers (something else I once did but didn't call copy editing) until I develop good skills and get established.
kind of like people who think they can be MTs - because they can type
[ In Reply To ..]
Except in my example, the entire field suffers.

I sure hope you aren't talking about me - transitioning MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Because I was agreeing with you. I did say it was sounding like an advertisement, but I didn't say that was a bad thing.

Hopefully you were talking about the other person WAS poking at you.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Else Get A Revised Activity Report?
May 10, 2012

Transcend Website Revised
Feb 27, 2013

Isn't it nice that they took away our only tool to communicate with our fellow Transcend MLS.  The forum is gone.  That sure as heck didn't take long.  I always thought that we were all very civilized on that forum.  Guess they don't want us communicating anymore.  Heck, that was sometimes the only place you could get an answer about something.  It stinks!  Gonna miss that forum. ...

Operative Report-revised Septorhinoplasty
Apr 14, 2010

Operative report, secondary procedure is revised septorhinoplasty.  The preoperative diagnosis is "Palaferal calasis nasal deformity" is what it sounds like, but I have looked in my book and searched the web-cannot find anything that matches...can anyone help me please!! ...

Revised Nuance Transcription Guidelines
Apr 07, 2014

Everyone should be very interested in the just revised (March 24, 2014) Nuance Transcription Guidelines.  First paragraph is quoted below: "This document may answer questions not addressed in individual account specifics and is to be utilized as a secondary reference as desired (italics mine).  Note: These are preferences, not requirements,  and will not impact your quality performance (italics mine).   Whenever possible, the speech draft should not be edited unless t ...

Another Option For Transitioning From MT
Mar 24, 2010

Transcribing the dictation of various physician assistants made me wonder what was involved in becoming a PA, so I looked into the PA programs in my state.  I have a BA and already have all the science prereqs, so I decided to apply.  I'm retiring from my full-time job (not medical related) in April and wondered what I would do with myself with just my part-time MT job to keep me busy.  Now I know.  I start in the PA program with the summer session.  If you have a ...

Transitioning To A New Career
Jan 26, 2012

Anybody else switching careers right now?  I have started a training course for a new career and it is EXTREMELY difficult to continue with MT.  I just dread sitting at the computer, its like 8 hours of torture.  I went through this before when I changed careers to MT.  I cried everyday until I could leave my previous job.  I am not crying everyday now, not yet anyway.  Maybe its grief, leaving a job that I once loved, letting go, moving on.  I am considering c ...

Thinking Of Transitioning
Jun 22, 2013

I have been working as an MT since 2003.  I started out in-house, transitioned to home-based within my first year and was outsourced after 3 years.  The 1st few years were not bad working production but since then things have steadily gone downhill. I have been thinking about making the transition to coding and would like to get advice about whether or not it is worth doing and also any program/course/school recommendations.   ...

MT Transitioning Out And Nervous
Jan 25, 2014

Seeking advice from other MTs who are currently in school for another field or have already transitioned out of MT. One semester to go and I will hopefully be prepared to enter a career field that has nothing to do with MT. Problem is, I find myself worrying about working outside the home. I've been an at-home MT for almost 12 years. I have found a new enjoyment being around people in my classes and activities, but I'm so used to the home environment as my workplace. I am ge ...

Slowly, Might Be Transitioning Out Of MT....
Jun 20, 2014

I haven't posted much but am still employed as an MT at a place I actually llike, and even though my check only helps pay the bills, even that hasn't been enough lately.  So, starting in September, I got a job at my son's school district's cafeteria service.  It's only minimum, but I at least know, that minimum is what I will make and will have summer off as well as any days the district is off, plus will be elibigle for a raise (which I haven't seen ever) ...

Transitioning To Medical Editor - Fee??
Jan 09, 2011

I have had three large accounts for over 20 years.  One has gone completely automated with voice recognition (except for two providers who will never be able to use voice recognition - yay!), one is in the process of going EMR, and one hasn't even addressed it yet.  The first one has hired me to access their system directly (Centricity/Logician) and proofead every voice recognition-created record their providers create and make corrections as needed.  They hav ...

Will Be Transitioning To ChartNet In A Few Weeks
Jan 15, 2014

Will be transitioning to ChartNet in a few weeks and am looking for input. It is really a speech WRECK program as so many people have posted? If so, is it because the program stinks or because the doctors stick at dictating? What's the approximate percentage of corrections that need to be made? How badly did your paycheck decrease? Or -- will I be able to keep a steady paycheck once I'm used to the program? Any input is appreciated. ...

DTS / Transcend - DTS Employees Transitioning To The New Company
May 11, 2011

I went through the Transcend orientation yesterday for (former) DTS employees transitioning to the new company.  It left me very, very, very sad.  Transcend's methodology is so different from DTS.  The requirement of the $900 per pay period of full-time employees will be so difficult to achieve on this new BeyondText speech recognition as my pay will be cut based on what other MTs have told me!!!  (That and IF the work is available which in the past with DTS has been very off and on.)  ...

Transitioning/the "queen Of OP Notes"
Jul 10, 2012

Hi everyone, I haven't posted here for years.  I'm facing transition: my per diem employer has transitioned to the Cerner EMR and for now, there's no work for me.  My primary employer is planning a move to an EMR late this year and my department head doesn't know what the implications will be for us.  The latter is a psych facility. I'd worked for Spheris for a year from home and MedQuist for about three years.  Before that, lots of in-house experien ...