A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The MT industry is dead. Do you agree or disagree? nm - me

Posted: Nov 30, 2009

nm

It seems to be alive and well for some. Others are not - doing so well.

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been looking for a job since July, but don't have what it takes, I guess. Also, I'm from the old school and not willing to work for 5 cents a line as an IC. When I go to the grocery store, my groceries cost the same as a doctor or lawyer. Hard to make ends meet.

Alive and well in India - Tina

[ In Reply To ..]
as that is where all our work is going. The only thing these major corporate MTSOs care about is the almighty dollar. That's why there is such a big push for VR and offshoring. It has nothing to do with lack of American MTs. It's due to the fact that they pay those in India one-quarter of what they pay and the fact that it is one big tax bonus as they don't have to pay any unemployment tax, social security tax, federal or state tax, work comp, etc. When are we, as Americans, going to stand up against this type of treatment and demand that the government do something to stop all of our jobs from going overseas. I can't live on a mere $20,000 a year, not when we are taxed to death as a nation!!!

WebMedx 4th largest MTSO, no offshoring. NM - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
x

To this I can only say: Sorry, but business is business, as everywhere!...nm - ..

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
What about integrity and American pride? - Tina
[ In Reply To ..]
F*** the people and their families that you are putting in the poor house...as long as you get yours, right? Paying pitiful wages to those in third world countries. Shameful...truly shameful. I suppose you codone the use of child labor as well. After all, business is business, right...your words, not mine.

Is MT dead? - jane

[ In Reply To ..]
not dead but dying or more like on death row, the executioner will likely be electronic medical records required in a few years. have been doing this for about 15 years which have been great but the grim reaper is on the way for this profession, some older doctors one of which i work for won't go to EMR so it will be here for awhile but the heyday is over.
I have now been on EMR for years and years, - Answers
[ In Reply To ..]
and has made not 1 bit of difference. Why the big, big concern. Oh, I do work for a hospital.

Remember the Monty Python parrot sketch? (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The one where John Cleese tries to get his money back on a dead parrot. This parrot is no more. Well, that's our field. It's about to be "no more." I started in this field at age 19 in the 1966. It is the only thing I've ever done. It served me very, very well over the years, but now I'm just hanging on by my fingernails until I can draw full Social Security benefits. It's very sad to see.

more like fingernails on a chalkboard! - USMT

[ In Reply To ..]
In fact, I'll the chalk and the chalk board are made outside the United States!

I remember when I tried to not buy things "made in China," but it got to be task all by itself! I wish we could find more "Made in the USA" labels.

I do what I can, but it's not always easy. My land line and internet are with Windstream, which is all US-based. But my cell is with ATT, and I know I got "pinged" to India or thereabouts recently when I called for a tech issue. Ticked me off, too.

Just prior to MT taking its final gasp I made it to - L

[ In Reply To ..]
full retirement age, never thought that would happen as the job situation was looking more bleak by the day. Having said that, now decided to stay on still. How much longer do you have before you reach that and I think you made an excellent choice by wanting full.

I reach full retirement age at (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Summer 2012 I can draw full SS and continue to work w/o penalty. Being able to do that (work and draw SS) will be the first "raise" I've had in 12 years, since I left working in-house at a hospital where we still got annual merit raises and cost of living increases.
You have no idea how nice it is - Final gasp
[ In Reply To ..]
Like you, this is the only raise I will have or have had now for ????? but I have now more than doubled what I make each month with MTing alone. I hope to just keeping click-clicking until I drop. Unless beyond my control, do not intend to retire, just not something I want to do. I thought would probably kick the bucket before that first check got in but it started, this past April full retirement. Sweet!
Good for you (sm) - Long time MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm envious. My plan is to continue working full time until I get my house paid off (18 months), then back off to working 1/2 time, and actually doing something enjoyable for a change. But in the end I will probably continue working part time for as long as I am able to, which really depends on how long this field holds out because I personally am in very good health.
See inside - Final gasp
[ In Reply To ..]
I am now part- as part as 32 hours per week can be, that is what my company thinks is part but ok with me. I have the time to do other things as well with being independent always can get the time off. It is nice to get to this time of life.

MT industry is not dead - Ejt

[ In Reply To ..]
I still have enough work only working with a private account for the past 11 years. I praise Almight God for providing for us in that way.

Similar Messages:

Gm/dl Or G/dL? I Disagree With The Brillant ASR
Jul 16, 2010

Once again questioning everything I have ever thought that I have known for sure. ...

Disagree With Poster Below
Dec 02, 2013

who said it makes no difference to MM's bottom line if they put us on 100% QA because it usually is not permanent.  Even if it is just for a month or two and they are lowering our salaries by half or more, multiply that by the number of hours worked and by the number of MTs on 100% QA.  They can lower their costs by many thousands per month - at least enough to throw themselves a huge party. ...

If You Disagree With Something On Your Performance Eval
Jul 20, 2010

and you refuse to sign it, will it make a difference?  Or should one refuse to sign it and go over the head of your immediate supervisor since obviously your supervisor and you disagree? ...

Does Anyone Agree With This?
Mar 16, 2010

This is a long sentence, but I think the punctuation looks right?? He does have some tenderness particularly in the area of a transverse incision at the left lateral aspect, which he said was the site of a draining sinus, after 1 of his many surgeries, for years. Maybe a comma after "tenderness" ? Seems like a lot of nonessential phrases....     ...

Can We Agree
Apr 25, 2012

I love MT when I am paid well.  When I am offered poverty wages, I don't like that. Can we agree to stop accepting these low wages for editing and transcribing?  Being offered 4 cpl for editing and 6 cpl for transcribing is ridiculous.  If you are offered a job, counter with a higher cpl.  If you are employed, demand a raise.  If you are an IC, tell them your rates have increased. I am not going to attempt to counter all the arguments that people are going to prof ...

I Don't Agree With The MTs That Are...
Apr 06, 2013

...complaining on how bad being an MT is. I noticed most of thOSS saying that have been doing this for 20-30 years. The MT field is not dying it is changing and people don't want to adapt. They refuse to do VR because it pays less but if you learn the short cuts & stop using the mouse you can make good money. I've been doing both straight transcription & voice recognition. My point being there will always be a need for editors!!!  I too hate the work going over seas & ...

Agree With Poster Below That With All The New And
Dec 20, 2011

technology poor sound quality of dictation should be a thing of the past; however, that is now my #1 problem.  I have put a notation in the QA notes several times lately of the poor audio quality.  I think dictating on a speaker phone or cell phone (I don't care where --- office, home, bathroom, ballgames, convertibles, motorcycles, airplanes, or outer space) should be MT-outlawed and if a dictator does it, the report should be trashed and he should have to dictate it over (y ...

Agree In Spirit
Apr 23, 2012

I agree in spirit with the May 1st protest, but realistically I cannot spare the day off unpaid.  Also, I work for the Wal-Mart of transcription otherwise known as Nuance.  Resistance is futile.  I honestly believe 80% of all US transcription is going to end up going through Nuance.  They should just let the government take them over....then we could all get a big pay raise when we become government employees.  LOL The reason I agree with the protest is this: 180 LPH ...

Vote If You Agree There's A Foul Mood In The Air
Dec 24, 2013

like if you agree dislike if you don't agree   I'm blaming it on indigestion of a bit of bad potato.  Bah Humbug! ...

Did Anyone Else Just Agree To A Nightshift Job For A Large Hospital
Sep 18, 2014

...in case there is more than one, in particular I am referring to one on the LG supe team? Is it going offshore soon? Wondering why I was moved. Not alot to do. Very curious.  ...

Dead End Job?
Nov 11, 2010

I've been considering enrolling at an online MT program, but after reading so many posts by unhappy MT-ists, I'm hesitant. Are there any happy MTs out there? Thanks in advance! =) ...

Brain Dead Here
Nov 23, 2009

This is a burn patient.  The coctor states that the percentage of body area burned is 19 and a 1/4 percent.  How would you transcribe 19 and 1/4 percent?  19.25?  ...

This Board Is Dead
Mar 06, 2010

And one can only hope that VR will suffer a similar fate very, very soon!  And in a not so nice way.  Along with the MTSOs that have tried to foist this CRAP on us.  JMHO, of course! ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

Call Me Brain Dead
Dec 02, 2009

Have you ever had one of those nights where you are doubting everything you transcribe?  Okay, how would you transcribe "follow up" in this sentence.  This is what I transcribed:  "The patient was told the importance of close early follow-up."  Would you put the hyphen, no hyphen, or make it one word?  ...

Go Live A Dead Issue?
May 25, 2010

It seems the schedule reservation "go live" in my area has now been cancelled until further notice.  I'm in the north region and wonder if any other areas have been using it successfully.  With all these so called improvements coming our way, I'm having a hard time remember what's what.  Does this mean the swapboard isn't going to work anymore or just the schedule/DQS factor with the work allowance of 15 minutes prior/after scheduled shift?  I'm ...

Beating A Dead Horse But...
Sep 20, 2010

The problem with making money with ASR is, I swear my fingers are moving just as much, but all over the board, not how we all learned to go fast, fingers on the home keys and move from there.  My hands are trying to fly all over....arrow keys, end, ctrl/shift/arrow to highlight, over to delete, try to find my way back, only to move off home keys to arrow some more.  If I could connect a pedometer on my fingers, I know it would show they are moving just as much without the same producti ...

For Those That Like To Beat A Dead Horse
Jan 30, 2011

Have some respect for the dead... come on. ...

Brain Dead - S/l Dribigan
Aug 08, 2012

I've typed it before...guess I need more coffee...cannot find it anywhere. No dosages or use noted as it is in an allergy list....Thanks in advance! ...

Half-dead Doctors
Mar 29, 2013

Why is it that MTs (especially the ones who are starting out) have the opportunity to transcribe dictated reports from doctors that sound half dead, like they are using their last breath to dictate a report? It's amazing to me when QA tells me that they can make out everything these doctors say. What do the more seasoned MTs think about this? ...

Worthless Dead End Mess
Mar 17, 2015

I have never wanted to be fired so badly in my life.  I have worked in some real feces factories in my day, but this one beats them all.  How on earth do they expect any MLS to care about any of these reports if they aren't going to pay us a decent wage?  I hope the stock crashes.  If the rest of the company is managed as poorly as the transcription division, it's only a matter of time until it does.  ...

OT Today, So It'll Be Dead Tomorrow....
May 25, 2015

x ...

Punctuation Help Brain Dead Today
Oct 26, 2011

Punctuation help please... brain dead today.  Is this punctuated correctly? "He is exercising in spite of this and, with this and diet, he has been able to bring his weight down steadily in recent months as I directed him to."  ...

I Hate To Beat A Dead Horse, But...........
Jun 10, 2014

Down below when I was trying to figure out if the reason I got laid off was because I was PT (CCM told me all PT were being laid off) or that I was in California (I thought maybe this was the case).....I realize that neither of these are true. I know there are still plenty of PT'ers left AND MTs in CA. So the only thing left (since like I said I always passed their stupid audits and always worked my graveyard/Saturday/sunday/all holidays shifts is that they were just trying to get rid of ...

Brain Dead - Tic- Or Tick-bite Technique
Nov 17, 2011

I've typed this a bazillion times, but my brain just won't function tonight. Eye muscle surgery. Reattached using 'tic-bite' or 'tick-bite' technique? Thanks in advance. ...

Silent Type Beating A Dead Horse
Feb 21, 2014

I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but wondering it anyone has any fresh insight or knowledge (without bashing).  It just seems so silly, we're all adults here, why can't she just come out and say what's going on so we can make an informed decision about what to do?  ...

I Guess All The Activity & Arguing Was From The MM Coders Because It's Dead Around
Apr 09, 2014

x ...

I Know I'm Beating A Dead Horse Here, But Is There Anyone Here Going To Sign With Mercedes?
Sep 06, 2014

d ...

Brain Dead On Monday Morning .. Help Please With An Anatomy Question (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

Someone please tell me the correct name of the "knot" or "bone" that is on the inside of the ankle, the one that sticks out.  My brain is NOT functioning this morning apparently! Thanks in advance! ...

Got This From Nuance India Website. (not Trying To Beat A Dead Horse, Here)
Jul 19, 2012

I just thought this was kind of absurd... "The future of Medical Transcription, as of today, is in use of Speech Recognition Technology. With the advent of this technology, manual typing has been eliminated. The Recognition percentage in most of the leading speech recognition software products is around 80% to 85%."http://www.ntsindia.in/mttraining.asp ...