A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Agree in Spirit - MTLady

Posted: Apr 23, 2012

I agree in spirit with the May 1st protest, but realistically I cannot spare the day off unpaid.  Also, I work for the Wal-Mart of transcription otherwise known as Nuance.  Resistance is futile.  I honestly believe 80% of all US transcription is going to end up going through Nuance. 

They should just let the government take them over....then we could all get a big pay raise when we become government employees.  LOL

The reason I agree with the protest is this:

180 LPH x 40 hours in a week = 7200 lines

7200 lines x 8 CPL = $576

$576 x 52 weeks = $29,952 per year gross (less insurance deductions and taxes)

...which qualifies one for public assistance if you have children.

8 CPL seems to be industry standard for EXPERIENCED MT pay, not starting pay.

It is $14.40 per hour.  Do you type 180 lines per hour in an 8 hour shift consistently?  I get close to 200 if it is TYPING not SR.  But from what I understand, that is considered to be a high-level performance.  So, in other words, I am experienced and very good at what I do, and I make poverty-level wages. 

Anyone who makes a decent living doing this is chained to their computer for at LEAST 55-60 hours a week, if they are honest.

I like it for many reasons, and I really am happy with my career choice.; mainly because I value the work-at-home lifestyle above salary.  BUT...what they pay us is not really acceptable, and the big MTSOs are shameful in their exploitation of the people who are making them rich.  It is one of the most blatant examples in years, but it goes unnoticed, because the public perceives work-from-home jobs as being luxurious.  I cannot tell you how many people making $40 - $50 K a year have told me they wished they were me...until I told them the pay. 

It's better than low-wage retail work, and working from home saves a lot of money.  Great option for .....whom?.... non-college-grad single mothers who would rather do this than pay daycare and work at McDonald's, and believe me, the prospective employee pool is LARGE.

MTSOs know that, and they WILL exploit the advantage.  Capitalism, baby.  Supply and demand.

Also... - MTLady

[ In Reply To ..]
To paraphrase: There is always someone else waiting eagerly for your job, who would consider it a great blessing in their life.

Agreed - LeavingMT

[ In Reply To ..]
and big business, and small don't fool yourself into thinking smaller business don't, will continue to take advantage.

I think that person you're describing lives in - BANGALORE or MUMBAI. Yes?

[ In Reply To ..]

lost work is lost work, period. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

Jobs - MTLady

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes them, but also moms working for minimum wage who never went to college. Grants and on-line certification programs have opened the door to this industry for them, for better or worse. I have some views on the standards used for hiring MTs, but they may be construed as mean-spirited. Like it or not, college eduation is not a requirement for our job. The door is open for the less fortunate to walk in and maximize the opportunity and drive down the wage scale. And yes, many of those less fortunate live right here in our country. MANY.

My gosh if I made that money, I would consider - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
myself lucky. As it is, I barely get $200 per week. Yep lousy pay. I am about to be fired anyway tho.

I guess that was my point in a way - MTLady

[ In Reply To ..]
I am glad you posted, because I wanted to show that the protest makes sense, but there is always someone who would consider this job a great blessing to them. It is really hard to learn the skills necessary to make it in this field and to stay at the 'top of your game' but I know a lot of people who would love the chance to try. : ) Best of luck to you. Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I had to work 15 to 18 hour days when I first started just to make minimum wage....pregnant and with a sweet lil toddler running around and needing me while I tried to learn my new job. It's hard. But I am really happy I stuck with it through the hard times. It works well for me, and I do count my blessings most days. ; )

Ditto that in CA. - :(

[ In Reply To ..]

starting pay - MTLady

[ In Reply To ..]
I started out at .0625 per 65-character line (straight typing, not SR/VR) After 6 years I am at 8 CPL (different company) typing and 4 CPL VR/SR. It's not high pay. Just average. Most places start newbies at 6.5 or 7 CPL tops. LINES lines lines. You gotta grab all the work you can and just type your butt off at every open moment. It's not for everyone. You will probably have no life the first 2 years you start, but to me it was worth it to stay home with my babies and not worry about commute costs, daycare expense, interpersonal drama, and fancy clothes. It is hard, though, no doubt.
I thought staying at home was going to be - "worth it", but I was wrong. (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
I started out at almost 10 cpl a few years ago. After two corporate buyouts, my pay dropped to 9 cpl, then 8 cpl, and now is at 7 cpl for straight typing. VR has dropped from 5 cpl to 3.

Work-at-home MT is a TRAP. They feed you all this bull about how their software is going to make you twice as productive, and of course, that is never the case. They still drop your pay anyway, claiming, "You should have been able to increase your production on our new platform". Uh huh. Yeah, right.

I think it's odd that you claim there's "no interpersonal drama" working at home. I beg to differ on that, as well. The only difference is that I'm not looking the Supervisors-From-Hell in the eye. But their put-downs, write-ups for imagined rule infractions, and general day-to-day character assassinations, even though they are emailed or phoned, rather than given out in an office setting, are no less demoralizing. And probably even MORE so, considering that, after the weekly verbal reaming-out, or demotion, or whatever the week's drama happens to be, I can't go back to my desk and say to myself, "At least I'm getting paid for all this." Because I'm not.

You said - this

[ In Reply To ..]
"Anyone who makes a decent living doing this is chained to their computer for at LEAST 55-60 hours a week, if they are honest."

I'm honest. I work between 35-40 hours (usually 35) a week. In 2011, I made $52k. Right now, I'm on track to earn $62k.

Not every MT sells themselves short and it's not really credible to claim those of us who are successful are either liars or nonexistent.

As long as ANYONE is willing to take a job making 7 cpl/3 cpVRl, then there will be no way to effect the kind of change those of you doing all this chattering want to see.

Really? $62K a year for 35-40 hrs. week? - And WHAT, pray tell, is the CPL youre paid?

[ In Reply To ..]
I think just about everyone will tell you they weren't making over $50K a year even back in the days when they were in-house and making $20+ an hour.

I made $22.50/hour in-house, worked lots of overtime, and even had a 2nd part-time job, and NEVER cleared more than $47K a year.

I think your math is a little fuzzy.

This is what amazes me - My math

[ In Reply To ..]
I average $30-35/hour. My math is just fine. I've NEVER made less than $25 hour doing MT. Just because YOU didn't/don't make it, doesn't mean someone else can't. Get over yourself.

And I work for a service, I don't have my own accounts. If I did, I'd be back at the six-figures I made once upon a time.
I'm sorry, but that's pure BS, and you know it. - I know it. We all know it.
[ In Reply To ..]
you don't know that, speaking gas again. I've done it, though not - recently and I saw the
[ In Reply To ..]
numbers at one company I worked for where all lines to all MTs were visible. I have copies of these - average of 2500 lines at 9.5 cpl. No more than a year old.

SO before you speak like that - DON'T.
Only if you KNOW EVERYONE'S PAY can you speak like that. makes you a fool.

I have it in writing.
"Having it in writing" means nothing because - the only way to prove it 100% would be -
[ In Reply To ..]
by posting all of that data online, which would mean having to divulge your true identity. And for even that to be believeable, you'd need things like your photo ID and SS#. Even if the moderator were to allow that (which I doubt), it would be a foolish thing to do. So you're safe in saying you have proof, because there's no way anyone could ever call you out on it. Which pretty much makes it a draw:

You say you made that much: 1 point.
I say I don't believe it: -1 point.
End result: ZERO.

The argument has cancelled itself out.
Honey I never ever said I (as in me) made that much. - according to you, no matter what you
[ In Reply To ..]
is sent you won't believe it so YOU just cancelled out the argument. Clever. And by the way - it does not have to be posted you silly whateveryouare. It can be emailed, eh?? did you think of that?? Did you think?

That type of money is possible was my only point and I was not talking gas like you - I have these records being an employee there. whereas you come up with no facts, off the top of your head = it just cannot be done. why? All you have is becuase you can't. THAT was my point of backing up my knowing what I am saying by saying I have in my company records. you speak without knowing anyting and there are those of us who do know.

BUT accouding to you, no matther what you see, you won't believe it. RIGHT, not even screen shots? well ok then. SO BE IT.

Uh and for CLARITY? it was someone else with those lines. your little brain read and ran with that one.

Dang...why she gotta be all that? - Idiots, silly, - little brain. Why so worked up?
[ In Reply To ..]
When you got 95% of the company based MTs making 4 to 5cpl and then you post saying you make $62,000 dollars a year, you should not be suprised that people would question it.

Someone said they make 7+ cents per line editing, and I am a bit questioning that. I am not calling anyone a liar here, but you should have known when you posted saying you make $62,000 a yr it would raise some eyebrows.
because she is acting like a child and it gets through. - just lowering to what she undersands. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
IT'S NOT ACUTE CARE AND ON A ONE-NUMBER/ENTER/TYPE/SAVE/DONE TYPE-OF SYSTEM. ALL DEMOGRAPHICS AUTOMATIC.

JUMP IN, TYPE, JUMP OUT
NEXT!

Do not call someone a liar when you do not know what you are talking about.
I just told you "IT'S QUESTIONABLE". I specifically - said "I am not calling anyone a liar" and
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not the other poster you called an idiot, silly and little brain.

Now, when you say:
1. It's not acute care.
2. You are on a "one-number/enter/type/save/done type of a system.
3. Demographics are automatic.

Then you break it down. When you break it down like that, then one can see how you might make more than the average MT, especially if you are the one saying you make 7+ cents per line.

You did not originally explain it that way before. You never mentioned your line rates, or that you work on such a user friendly platform with automatic demographics and very little typing.

Again, when someone posts and says they are making $62,000 a year when there are MTs out there only making 4 to 5 cents a line, of course people will question that.

Maybe if you had stated those variables in the begining, the discussion would not have gotten so in depth.
too late. you jumped on knowing better. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yes it is. There is no way - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
n
Maybe not in acute care. Maybe bnot on your system. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Not anywhere. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
n
over 30 years experience. You? - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
30+ years. - Next question.
[ In Reply To ..]
you started this game - I'm not really interested. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
whups, I did start that sorry! Still not interested though. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]

Actually, no, her math is just fine - if you get a calculator

[ In Reply To ..]
$62k divided by 52 weeks a year (I'm assuming no vacations) divided by 40 hours a week (going with the high end) divided by 350 lph (should be easy for anyone who is any good) is only 8.5 cpl.
my math - me again
[ In Reply To ..]
I make more than 8.5 cpl, also do VR, and I do take at least one week off for vacation :) So for two weeks out of the year, I might work 45 hours so I can be off a week in comfort.
Well, see, there's the problem. You're generalizing - when it comes to LPH. (SM)
[ In Reply To ..]
You're assuming that everyone out there has the same setup you do: Same software, same clients, same equipment, same internet connection, etc. You're also leaving out people who might be slowed down by physical limitations, who are NO LESS of a fine transcriber than you *obviously* are, but who need to take breaks once in a while. You're assuming no one ever has things beyond their control factor into their line counts. Everyone's situation is different, and to claim that "anyone who is good" should be able to do 350 lph, with no breaks or interruptions in that high production, is unrealistic. It might be something a transcription manager might tell their subordinates - something that they are *expected* to be able to do, but unless the software and dictator quality is as amazing as the transcriber is, it's not very realistic. Most MTs working at home can never hope to get anywhere near that yearly amount if their pay is merely the puny 7-8cpl that MOST OF US get paid.

Your particular situation (if indeed it is even real) seems like a pretty exclusive little corner of the MT world.
she didn't say everyone, said it was POSSIBLE. and - for me, if I break I lose my pace so
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't and it does not bother me. Don't presume you now what others need, please. We all have different work habits. Heck, Hourly pay and CPL production pay is a whole different frame of mind.

I'm not here to take breaks, until I get paid for them. see?
Labor laws state that workers get two 15-min breaks - (paid) per day, on top of 30-min lunch.
[ In Reply To ..]
Not in my state... No lunch break and no 15 minute breaks - boo hoo
[ In Reply To ..]
I have to work straight thorugh my 8 hours unless I take an unpaid lunch.
I guess that's why most non-CA employers blatantly - discriminate against Californians.
[ In Reply To ..]
They also hella hate the fact that after 8 hours in a day, we should get overtime. (Notice I say SHOULD. They always find a way around that little detail.)

I prefer not to take breaks as I stated. Can anyone read? - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
I have to take breaks even if its just a couple 10min - breaks here and there. I cannot
[ In Reply To ..]
sit straight through 8hrs without getting up and looking away from the computer screen at least a couple times during my shift.

Besides, no one should feel like they CANNOT afford to take a break if they need one.

Everyone is different, you can sit through an 8hr shift without a break, I cant.
Not being able to take breaks just sets us up for - keyboarding injuries. Kinda dumb on their part.
[ In Reply To ..]
###
I believe that would be the wrong posture, wrong chair, etc. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
well over 20 years, never took a break, hasn't bothered me physically yet.

but you are right, I'm so deprived because I don't take breaks and stupid for doing what works for me.

Don't think I could ever type standing up...never tried it though.
Even with the best, most ergonomically-correct setup, - you can still get an injury if you - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
don't give the muscles you use for keyboarding a rest periodically. That's why they call it "repetitive stress injury". The repetition is even more damaging than a bad chair, etc.

right, you can...I'm saying I never did, tho, 3 decades . - of not takening breaks. Everyone is different.
[ In Reply To ..]
//
LPH and money - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
Good point for message regarding line count, setup, and transcriptionists with physical limitations. I have to take numerous breaks during the day due to pain. I have various accounts, and I make a different amount of money per account and/or dictator. I make about $5-6000 per month and sometimes even $7000, but accounts are set up in such a way I have shortcuts. Before, when I was getting paid 1.5 cents per line (yes, you read this correctly), I was still making over $3,000 per month. I feel so fortunate after reading everybody else's posts, but I cannot understand how some MTs are only making a few hundred dollars per week. I made more than this barely working after my fusion and shoulder injury, and I was working for a service then with really bad dictators, transcribing accounts I was not familiar with, so I was looking up every other word, and had significant computer problems not to mention looking up terms in several books due to a certain QA person who would find items in obscure books and mark me wrong, thereby getting charged $1. Is it really that bad out there?
To LPH and money - Umm...yes, it is that bad. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
I thank my lucky stars every night - luckyladyinca
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow... . Scary. I remember when getting paid 12 cpl for IC at national services/local companies was the going rate, and we were treated very well. I still remember the nightmares of working for all those services while I built my business back up after losing my largest client to EMR. Out of 28 services I worked for, only 2 actually (1) had work, (2) paid me, and (3) did not completely over hire. I have been out of the loop so to speak since VR came on board, but I sure do read about the nightmares on this board. I count my lucky stars every night and sure do wish everybody luck. Sounds very rough indeed out there. This used to be a great profession.
This post - makes absolutely
[ In Reply To ..]
no sense whatsoever and has got to be made up. "Is it really that bad out there?" Outside where? Outside your imagination?

I am posting this against my better judgment.
bad out there as in working for nationals - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
Referring to working for nationals as opposed to own clients or working for smaller companies.
I think they point they are trying to make is $62k - a year at ASR rates is impossible.
[ In Reply To ..]
most people are only making 4 to 5cpl on ASR and very, very frew if they are extremely blessed make 6cpl.

You are basing your calculations off of 8.5 cpl, when the reality is thats a straight typing line rate.

350 lines per hour = $112 a day.
$112 x 5 = $560 a week.
$560 x 52 weeks at 4cpl is only $29,120 a yr. FAR FROM $62,000.

In order for a person to average 350 lph consistently they would have to produce 2,800 lines every single day, which is not feasible given the different variables an MT encounters on a daily basis.

And lets face it, we all have our bad days.
Why is it impossible - me again
[ In Reply To ..]
I make 0.07+ doing VR. I do over 500 LPH doing VR. Combination of me being determined to make it work for me and my company offering a decent program make it possible.

I am really beginning to think this entire forum really IS about Misery loving company. Speaking out both sides of your mouths dismissing anyone who IS happy or IS doing well and then saying we should feel sorry for other MTs. Well I don't feel sorry for other MTs. I'm a big girl. I make my own choices. I am responsible for supporting myself and I make sure I can do that. Where's my support for THAT?

Oh I know, I have to be miserable doing it, maybe then I'd have all that credibility the Misery Crew has. PFFFFTTT!
Why is it impossible? - see msg - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You said "0.07+ doing VR. I do over 500 LPH doing VR."

You answered your own questions in the quote above.

If everyone was making 0.07cpl for ASR then we probably wouldn't be having this dicussion right now.

The industry standards right now for ASR pay is 4 to 5cpl (mostly 4cpl).

I think we can all agree that 0.7cpl as an ASR rate is unheard of. Not calling you a liar, but realistically speaking most only make 4 to 5 cpl so to see $62,000 a year with those line rates is unimaginable.
To clarify: It's possible IF you can get 7+ cpl for VR - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I think if you had said this in the beginning (and that you get 8.5+ cpl for straight), it wouldn't have sounded so much like you were gloating. 7+ cpl for VR is not the norm, and if one can average 500 LPH on a good VR system that works the way it's supposed to, your salary would be completely possible for many, many experienced MTs. Unfortunately, while that should be standard, 4 cpl is closer to the norm (why anyone would work for 3 cpl makes no sense to me), as are VR platforms/demographics/specifics that are not MT-friendly.
I WISH I made $112 a day! The best I've been able - to do on ASR is $53 a day. :(
[ In Reply To ..]
Another clarifier: Part of the reason it's impossible to make $50/year doing ASR for 3-6 cpl is all the 'cheatware' these companies have come up with. What my computer's keystroke-counting software says I've done each day is completely different than the much lower numbers my company says I typed. And that's even after I've factored in the fact that they don't pay for spaces, paragraph titles, headers, footers, or macros.
Do any of you have really difficult dictators that you - just cannot understand...
[ In Reply To ..]
I am really serious! I have been doing this for over 25 years and all specialties and think I may be losing my touch or something. I am fortunate enough to have mostly straight typing versus VR and still can barely make $100 a day. I say more power to you but for those of you making 62K a year and more, how to do you keep that momentum going? I have tons of shortcuts too but it does me no good if I cannot understand them. I also happen to have a primary and several secondary accounts that do not allow even one blank... Would appreciate any tips on how you do this.
Someone said they make 7+ cpl editing so maybe - thats how.
[ In Reply To ..]
For a hospital I could see that and then some, but this person says she works for a company.

I didn't know any company paid 7+ cpl for VR.
Difficult dictators - just me
[ In Reply To ..]
I invested in a really good sound card and head set, and I keep samples of everything as well as a list of key terms to refer to.

BS. - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked 40 hours per week. No more. I easily made 45,000/year. Then came the internet and now this VR crap.

An Exception and Inspiration - MTLady

[ In Reply To ..]
Where the heck do YOU work?? LOL. I have done the math, and I cannot imagine the CPL rate you make. No company I have found will offer someone any more than 10 CPL tops, and that is for someone with over 10-15 years experience and/or willing to work graveyard (which I do) You must be a superhero or have VERY good luck. I was just trying to be realistic. I should have re-worded the 'honest' sentence...not meaning to imply anyone is being dishonest. But you are surely an exception. CPL being offered ranges from 7 to 10 everywhere I have found. I must need to widen my net in my search. I am a very positive and optimistic person. It is just sad to see so many hard-working women getting into this field with unrealistic expectations. That was really my main point, I guess. TRULY not meaning to offend anyone. It is so hard to be careful with one's language on these forums. I apologize, but you ARE an exception on the pay scale. I am working my way toward your level. I know I can do it, and I love my job. Thanks for your response.

You make us all feel slow and stupid - Mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Gosh I feel stupid now. I was feeling like I was good at my job. 350 LPH straight typing?? Wow. Are you a little older and sitting at home with no small children and in your own nice little office? Someday I will have that too, and it is a personal goal for me. BUT in the meantime, it is very discouraging and disingenuous for you to imply that if we aren't as great as you, we should just stop having a discussion about our compensation. It is a work-from-home job which attracts MOMS. I suspect your lifestyle is very different from the majority of women who get into this line of work, and especially the beginning MTs. Again, I look to you as an example of the end-result of a long career, but you are hardly the typical MT and not what a newbie can expect as an income level. I felt 180 LPH was a reasonable example to average in the superheroes and the newbies all together. 350 is stellar, near robotic. LOL. Good for you : )
don't feel stupid, different people, different systems - you can - find the right variables, it can be done.
[ In Reply To ..]
It not totally out of the question. don't compare, feel good its posssible and tweak yourself...go for it.
First of all, there are very few people out there - with straight typing work anymore..so
[ In Reply To ..]
Her calculations dont even begin to apply to the majority of MTs today.

We all know, that straight typing jobs are far and few in between. If you want to impress me, throw some figures out there using the ASR line rates that will make you $62,000 a year.

The reality is, the vast majority of MTs are now doing speech recognition, not straight typing.
my $62k - me again
[ In Reply To ..]
includes VR. I average 500+ lph doing VR. I'm paid 0.07+ cpl, i.e. $35/hr. And I don't assume everyone can do that. Of course they can't. But it should ENCOURAGE you to know those jobs ARE out there. No job is perfect. You find the one that works for you, whose pay you can support yourself with and you work to fine-tune that job so you aren't killing yourself to eat, keep a house over your head etc.

Oh and to the other poster-- I started this in 1977. I had 1 child at the time. I went on to have 2 more children in very short order. I made $20k a year in those early years-- much better than the $15k I made working at the hospital as a technician. Now I work with grandkids and furkids in and out all day. Oh and my biggest detractor? The internet? It's too easy to get distracted -- speaking of which :)
Whatta buncha hooey. If you truly make that kinda - money, then youre not doing it in MT.
[ In Reply To ..]
Marketing perhaps? Or the owner of one of those scam "schools"? Maybe. But none of us little hamsters turning the wheels of the MT biz will ever make that kind of money. That's why we laugh at your claims, which are stellar examples of grandiosity.
Your comment says it all - quite frankly
[ In Reply To ..]
"It is a work-from-home job which attracts MOMs."

Does being a mom mean you should be less of a worker? That's what you're implying to me.

That, right there, IMHO is what's wrong with this industry. Just because you are at home doesn't mean you still don't need to get your work done and do the best job you can do for your employer. Just because your kids are at home doesn't mean the same. No wonder some of you can't get above 150 lph. You make it sound like you're playing at working so you can be home with your kids.
What a totally condescending remark. It fits right in - with what MTSOs want us - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
little transcriptionist mushrooms to believe:

That we're somehow inferior to the rest of the working world. And if we work at home, then multiply that x10.

That we're slackers if we can't hammer out 500 lines/hour on their lousy transcription software.

That just because we want a wage that will pay our bills, feed & house us, and maybe get a day off every week, we're being greedy and unrealistic.

No, the greedy and unrealistic ones are those who keep perpetuating the myth that MTs are worth next to nothing.
Yeah - that comment shocked me too - alana
[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for an agency from 1987 - 2003 and none of my coworkers were stay-at-home Moms. Only 1 person on my account now is a SAHM. The ridiculous idea that somehow you can transcribe and watch kids/clean house/cook/run errands/talk on phone is something OUTSIDERS don't understand. We see it here from time to time with posts asking how to make friends and family stop interrupting work. I would no sooner go use the corporate cafeteria to make dinner during work hours than I would go downstairs to cook in my kitchen on work time.

Kudos to you - me again

[ In Reply To ..]
For being woman enough to post that. I appreciate it. BTW, I make 9 cpl. My work load varies between a doc I have down to a fine science to an account that has very few "real" English-speaking dictators.

If we were allowed to be more encouraging, I'd would cheerlead those who are still looking and want to know how to make out their skills.

I type at conversational speed so doing VR slows me down, a lot. But my company works with us to make sure we are successful doing it.

I've done this for 35+ years. Still love it most of the time. I wish that on all MTs.
Thank You Me Again! - therearehappymts
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you "me again" for shining a light on what is possible. Been doing this myself for 30 years and have similar income. The naysayers are usually the loudest voices here, but those of us who enjoy what we do and find our niche for success do still have nice things to say about our jobs and our profession in general.
So let me get this straight...You make $62k a yr - also?
[ In Reply To ..]
'
No one makes $62/K a year doing MT. That goober - is just yanking all of our chains. N/M
[ In Reply To ..]
-
lol. you just don't know....anytihng. - not even when spelled out. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
cookie cutter MTs in a customized profession.
I would like to know where you guys work that pays - you 7cpl for editing.
[ In Reply To ..]
I most importantly, I would like to see some posts from the MTs out there making 4 and 5 cents per line who are making $60,000 a year.
I know there are happy MTs, I'm one of them - but I dont make 7+ cpl for VR either.
[ In Reply To ..]
Just keeping it real.
Not only don't we get 7cpl, but what we DO get - keeps getting lower every year!
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

In The Spirit Of Christmas
Dec 16, 2010

In the spirit of Christmas, I just want to post something positive here. I have had an up and down rollercoaster year with the Q (as usual), but still in spite of it all (worry, frustration, financial woes over pay cuts, and even tears at times), I truly feel grateful that I am employed and have a job in these terrible times when so many are without.  It is far from a perfect job, but it is a job nonetheless.  I hope that everyone has an even better year in 2011 & a ...

Nothing Like ASR And The Crummy Pay To Kill The Spirit And Motivation.
Jan 28, 2010

I feel like quitting! ...

I Love The Snowflakes!!!! Thanks For The Christmas Spirit/feel! Nm
Dec 21, 2009

nm ...

Does Anyone Agree With This?
Mar 16, 2010

This is a long sentence, but I think the punctuation looks right?? He does have some tenderness particularly in the area of a transverse incision at the left lateral aspect, which he said was the site of a draining sinus, after 1 of his many surgeries, for years. Maybe a comma after "tenderness" ? Seems like a lot of nonessential phrases....     ...

Can We Agree
Apr 25, 2012

I love MT when I am paid well.  When I am offered poverty wages, I don't like that. Can we agree to stop accepting these low wages for editing and transcribing?  Being offered 4 cpl for editing and 6 cpl for transcribing is ridiculous.  If you are offered a job, counter with a higher cpl.  If you are employed, demand a raise.  If you are an IC, tell them your rates have increased. I am not going to attempt to counter all the arguments that people are going to prof ...

I Don't Agree With The MTs That Are...
Apr 06, 2013

...complaining on how bad being an MT is. I noticed most of thOSS saying that have been doing this for 20-30 years. The MT field is not dying it is changing and people don't want to adapt. They refuse to do VR because it pays less but if you learn the short cuts & stop using the mouse you can make good money. I've been doing both straight transcription & voice recognition. My point being there will always be a need for editors!!!  I too hate the work going over seas & ...

Agree With Poster Below That With All The New And
Dec 20, 2011

technology poor sound quality of dictation should be a thing of the past; however, that is now my #1 problem.  I have put a notation in the QA notes several times lately of the poor audio quality.  I think dictating on a speaker phone or cell phone (I don't care where --- office, home, bathroom, ballgames, convertibles, motorcycles, airplanes, or outer space) should be MT-outlawed and if a dictator does it, the report should be trashed and he should have to dictate it over (y ...

The MT Industry Is Dead. Do You Agree Or Disagree? Nm
Nov 30, 2009

nm ...

Vote If You Agree There's A Foul Mood In The Air
Dec 24, 2013

like if you agree dislike if you don't agree   I'm blaming it on indigestion of a bit of bad potato.  Bah Humbug! ...

Did Anyone Else Just Agree To A Nightshift Job For A Large Hospital
Sep 18, 2014

...in case there is more than one, in particular I am referring to one on the LG supe team? Is it going offshore soon? Wondering why I was moved. Not alot to do. Very curious.  ...