A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Half-dead doctors - Thornbush

Posted: Mar 29, 2013

Why is it that MTs (especially the ones who are starting out) have the opportunity to transcribe dictated reports from doctors that sound half dead, like they are using their last breath to dictate a report? It's amazing to me when QA tells me that they can make out everything these doctors say.

What do the more seasoned MTs think about this?

you'll hear everything too eventually - OHMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially if you transcribe the same doctors a lot, after a while you'll be able to figure out what they're saying, especially if you have good QA people who tell you, and you have the opportunity to listen again with the blanks filled in.

My first MT job, I had a doctor that was so bad, it was five years before I sent a report without a single blank. I still type that doctor occasionally, and now I rarely have a blank with him. It's amazing how your ears will learn, and as you become more familiar with the terminology, you'll be able to figure it out because you'll know what's supposed to be there.

Of course, you should never guess, so when you do have blanks, send a note to your QA person, and it probably wouldn't hurt to tell them how impressed you are with their ability to hear everything, and hopefully they'll respond by helping you out. When I did QA, I appreciated it every time someone thanked me for my help.

Good luck!

LOL! Ah yes, I remember when I was a newbie - Bilboa

[ In Reply To ..]

It has pretty much everything to do with how much you're slowing them down to try to make out what they're saying. 

You wouldn't believe the power you have at your fingertips.  They get healthier AND much, much less depressed when you speed them up! Laughing

half dead doctors - corgi

[ In Reply To ..]
I do agree with another comment that said you do eventually get used to the dictator's voice. Before I started with Medquist/MModal and was on my own, I had my own accounts and when a new dictator came on, hard as it was, if you got a whole tape (remember those?) to do of them, you got used to them sooner than later. I wish the same could be with companies like this. If you did get the same doctor over and over again on any given day, you would get used to what they say.

They just dont teach you newbies properly - thats all

[ In Reply To ..]
Years ago, the education was fine becuase when you started out with a company, they kept you on one account. You got used to the dictators real fast, had samples given to you, had a mentor to ask questions from. Now, there are all foreign dictators, we get the bottom of the barrel dictators, the ones who speak at the speed of light, or the ones who mumble beyond belief. Anything halfway good was sent overseas and we get the garbage left behind. They do not prepare newbies for this kind of atmosphere.

I'm 15 years doing this - ...and

[ In Reply To ..]
I still have my challenges. I agree with poster who said to speed things up. Most tend to slow down a dictator. If your "half-dead" dictator is also slurring, speeding him up actually speeds over the slur.

I had one doctor who sounds exactly as you describe. The very first time I did him, I felt sorry for him---I thought he was horribly ill or hadn't gotten a wink of sleep in 48 hours. Turns out, that's just how he dictated. It takes all kinds!

I used to transcribe a doctor who sounded like... - KD

[ In Reply To ..]
he was beyond the grave. It was crazy how dead he sounded. I mean no disrespect because he actually sounded like a very caring physician given how he spoke of his patients, but the man sounded like a corpse. Speeding him up definitely helped.

One of my favorite (sarcasm) type of dictators are the ones that sound like they're intoxicated. I doubt that they are since they sound to be at the office still, but they literally slur all of their words, trailing off at the end of each word or sentence, leaving you to decipher what they're trying to say.

The winner, though, was one of my Indian doctors who had a new baby and used to hold her baby while she dictated. Oh that was just loads of fun. First of all, she had a very thick accent, a very soft, high-pitched voice so I would have to strain to even hear her, then add on top of that, now she's holding her baby who is crying, cooing, burping, gurgling, you name it! Crazy!

Once you have a few more years under your belt, you'll be able to deal with those situations a lot better. Speeding them up or slowing them down can help. I've also heard that some MTs use a sound booster (from Radio Shack) that they swear by, though I've never tried one personally. Also, samples, samples, samples! You need lots of good samples. Take note if they are saying the same key phrases and keep that in word pad or some other program that you can refer to when you're typing. *Remember, no patient information should be in those samples though.*

@KD - RE; samples

[ In Reply To ..]
I would just like to note also that when I started new doctors and I was having difficulty understanding them, I would ask for samples, as well. The more, the better, as far as I was concerned....and then I ran across a company I had just started working for and after two weeks, I asked for samples on a difficult doctor to understand and I was responded to with: "Since you rely heavily on samples for some doctors, and others do not, you are hereby terminated from this position. Sorry it did not work out." Imagine my surprise! and then anger at such a statement and reason for termination! I was just dumbfounded! since when is it a crime or a QA "error" to request samples when one does not understand what they are hearing, not to mention if you send ANYTHING to QA, you immediately lose 1 cent per line just for them having to open the report and read it? ugh. Just thought I would "warn" about the policies of some companies. They are not always so "keen" on helping a new transcriptionist.

I used to have a doc that used to fall asleep while dictating - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
I felt so sad for him because I knew he put in many, many extra hours caring for his patients - but it was also funny because he would dream and dictate the funniest things from his dreams.

I never said a word to him about it and just skipped over the dream part. I worked for him for 16 years, but EMR has now taken over his practice and he does the charting himself.

Answer to your question - me3

[ In Reply To ..]
Most MT companies, hospitals, etc. don't differentiate between seasoned MTs and new MTs. Everyone has the same opportunity to transcribe ESL dictators, 'half dead doctors', speed demons, etc., and yes, QA people and seasoned MTs do hear, and transcribe, exactly what that 'problem dictator' is saying.

It generally takes several years for a new MT to really get a grip on less than ideal dictators, and that's why QA feedback proves invaluable to new MTs.

Similar Messages:

How To You Transcribe This: Half 1% Lidocaine And Half Percent Marcaine.
Apr 22, 2010

x ...

Time And A Half Or Line And A Half Tomorrow
Jul 03, 2013

x ...

How Would You Type "half And Half 1% Lidocaine"
Oct 15, 2013

Dead End Job?
Nov 11, 2010

I've been considering enrolling at an online MT program, but after reading so many posts by unhappy MT-ists, I'm hesitant. Are there any happy MTs out there? Thanks in advance! =) ...

Brain Dead Here
Nov 23, 2009

This is a burn patient.  The coctor states that the percentage of body area burned is 19 and a 1/4 percent.  How would you transcribe 19 and 1/4 percent?  19.25?  ...

This Board Is Dead
Mar 06, 2010

And one can only hope that VR will suffer a similar fate very, very soon!  And in a not so nice way.  Along with the MTSOs that have tried to foist this CRAP on us.  JMHO, of course! ...

MTing NOT DEAD
Nov 22, 2011

MT'ers transcription may not be dead after all.  I had an interview with a local hospital that has many clinics and outside services.  They have had all of their transcription outsourced aside from various departments in the actual hospital.  However, they have discovered a better quality of work if they keep their work onsite.  They are pulling ALL of their services back to using on-site transcriptionists.  Some at home work after training, but there will be no MTS ...

Call Me Brain Dead
Dec 02, 2009

Have you ever had one of those nights where you are doubting everything you transcribe?  Okay, how would you transcribe "follow up" in this sentence.  This is what I transcribed:  "The patient was told the importance of close early follow-up."  Would you put the hyphen, no hyphen, or make it one word?  ...

Go Live A Dead Issue?
May 25, 2010

It seems the schedule reservation "go live" in my area has now been cancelled until further notice.  I'm in the north region and wonder if any other areas have been using it successfully.  With all these so called improvements coming our way, I'm having a hard time remember what's what.  Does this mean the swapboard isn't going to work anymore or just the schedule/DQS factor with the work allowance of 15 minutes prior/after scheduled shift?  I'm ...

Beating A Dead Horse But...
Sep 20, 2010

The problem with making money with ASR is, I swear my fingers are moving just as much, but all over the board, not how we all learned to go fast, fingers on the home keys and move from there.  My hands are trying to fly all over....arrow keys, end, ctrl/shift/arrow to highlight, over to delete, try to find my way back, only to move off home keys to arrow some more.  If I could connect a pedometer on my fingers, I know it would show they are moving just as much without the same producti ...

For Those That Like To Beat A Dead Horse
Jan 30, 2011

Have some respect for the dead... come on. ...

Brain Dead - S/l Dribigan
Aug 08, 2012

I've typed it before...guess I need more coffee...cannot find it anywhere. No dosages or use noted as it is in an allergy list....Thanks in advance! ...

Worthless Dead End Mess
Mar 17, 2015

I have never wanted to be fired so badly in my life.  I have worked in some real feces factories in my day, but this one beats them all.  How on earth do they expect any MLS to care about any of these reports if they aren't going to pay us a decent wage?  I hope the stock crashes.  If the rest of the company is managed as poorly as the transcription division, it's only a matter of time until it does.  ...

OT Today, So It'll Be Dead Tomorrow....
May 25, 2015

x ...

The MT Industry Is Dead. Do You Agree Or Disagree? Nm
Nov 30, 2009

nm ...

Punctuation Help Brain Dead Today
Oct 26, 2011

Punctuation help please... brain dead today.  Is this punctuated correctly? "He is exercising in spite of this and, with this and diet, he has been able to bring his weight down steadily in recent months as I directed him to."  ...

I Hate To Beat A Dead Horse, But...........
Jun 10, 2014

Down below when I was trying to figure out if the reason I got laid off was because I was PT (CCM told me all PT were being laid off) or that I was in California (I thought maybe this was the case).....I realize that neither of these are true. I know there are still plenty of PT'ers left AND MTs in CA. So the only thing left (since like I said I always passed their stupid audits and always worked my graveyard/Saturday/sunday/all holidays shifts is that they were just trying to get rid of ...

Brain Dead - Tic- Or Tick-bite Technique
Nov 17, 2011

I've typed this a bazillion times, but my brain just won't function tonight. Eye muscle surgery. Reattached using 'tic-bite' or 'tick-bite' technique? Thanks in advance. ...

Silent Type Beating A Dead Horse
Feb 21, 2014

I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but wondering it anyone has any fresh insight or knowledge (without bashing).  It just seems so silly, we're all adults here, why can't she just come out and say what's going on so we can make an informed decision about what to do?  ...

I Guess All The Activity & Arguing Was From The MM Coders Because It's Dead Around
Apr 09, 2014

x ...

I Know I'm Beating A Dead Horse Here, But Is There Anyone Here Going To Sign With Mercedes?
Sep 06, 2014

d ...

Brain Dead On Monday Morning .. Help Please With An Anatomy Question (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

Someone please tell me the correct name of the "knot" or "bone" that is on the inside of the ankle, the one that sticks out.  My brain is NOT functioning this morning apparently! Thanks in advance! ...

Got This From Nuance India Website. (not Trying To Beat A Dead Horse, Here)
Jul 19, 2012

I just thought this was kind of absurd... "The future of Medical Transcription, as of today, is in use of Speech Recognition Technology. With the advent of this technology, manual typing has been eliminated. The Recognition percentage in most of the leading speech recognition software products is around 80% to 85%."http://www.ntsindia.in/mttraining.asp ...

0.5 Of 1% (or) One-half Of 1%.
Jun 10, 2011

Which is correct?   Thank you! ...

Pay Cut In Half?
Aug 26, 2013

With Fluency my pay will be cut in half - 4 cents now instead of 8 cents.......am scared to death. ...

1/2 Pin Or Half Pin??
Feb 20, 2015

A 2.7 mm ___ pin was placed in bicortical fashion. ...

Been Here Half A Year
Aug 18, 2011

Ive never not given a notice, but I interviewed today and might get the job. You all know the deal, I just can't afford to work here and they want to fill the position Im trying for immediately.  Do you think after only 6 months, I have to give them a notice?  If so, how much of one?  It feels so wrong to just up and quit, but I can't pay my bills!  Another 2 weeks, or even one just puts me further in the whole.  I made more on unemployment! ...

1 Little Job In Half An Hour
Jan 24, 2013

13 jobs in 2 days. Love it!  Make sure to put it in Remedy though so they can keep track and work later hours when jobs are there. Sorry, that's not an option for me.  ...

Anyone Want My Rad Work...i'll Pay U Half
Jan 28, 2013

Im loaded with work, over 400 jobs on the system and i just dont feel like doing it.  How's that....sell off my work hahaha, act like MModal and let someone else do it for "half".      ...

And I Get Paid Half For This?
Sep 11, 2013

Dictated: and if he does okay, will send him home. ASR: he had a dislocation of the long pants array. So close ASR, so close!! American doctor, no accent, clear as day. But thanks for trying If it was an occasional thing, I could understand but seems to be getting worse rather then better. ...