A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Trouble testing!! I need help! - Liz

Posted: Jun 22, 2010

I have 12 years experience working as an IC medical transcriptionist. I just got laid-off and now I find myself testing w/ different companies and I can't pass the typing portion of the test for some reason!!! It's driving me crazy. I have been using my AAMT Book of Style for formatting and I have been studying the basic rules of transcription. Can anybody help me w/ this?? What are these companies looking for and what possibly could I be doing wrong? All I can think of is that I'm formatting the document incorrectly. If anyone has samples they could send me, I would appreciate it. I have been going over the documents making sure there is no punctuation errors, spelling, etc., and the only thing I can think of that I'm doing incorrectly is formatting. Any advice would be so much appreciated!! Thank you in advance. Liz

Trouble testing - onewhoknows

[ In Reply To ..]
believe it or not, it probably isn't that your test is bad. It is probably very good. I am sorry to say it is your 12 years of experience. They don't want to pay anyone with a lot of experience. Once on an interview, a recruiter even said if they see too much experience they think the person might be an MT Diva. I can't believe it, but it is true. So, don't worry. It probably isn't you it is them. And if for some reason they did hire you and you were treated poorly you wouldn't want to be with them anyway. These companies want new MTs they can train to jump through hoops and get paid minimum wage. Please don't think it is you. And once you get formatting samples and know your work is perfect, how will yo ufeel when you don't pass then? Trust your instinct and keep looking. Someone will value your years and those are the people who you will want to work for and the place for you. Good luck. Keep chin up!

You might be right - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
But on some of the tests that I have done they have specifically stated do not worry about formatting; however, other testing stated format as best as you can. Either way maybe the experienced transcriptionist is being targeted. I would like to think that experience with some companies is a plus, as if the accounts they are wanting to fill falls within your area of expertise or speciality there would be less training involved excluding the platform and that would benefit both employee and employer. Maybe anyone with over 3 years experience should not let that be known when applying??

Shouldn't assume this - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't assume this is the problem. I think the OP needs to be taking a close look at what she might be doing wrong on the test. There are plenty of experienced MTs out there getting jobs. The companies can hire whomever they want whether or not the MT passes the test, what would be the point of telling someone they failed the test if they didn't? Even if the MT passed the test, the MTSO can chose not to hire them. I think the OP needs to assume that something is going wrong on the testing and figure out what that is.

I agree. I'm not buying that ban on experienced MT theory - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
The wise thing to do would be to see if you can find out if there are some areas you need to work on. From my own personal experience I know it's possible to work for one company for years and then go to another one and find out that what was perfectly acceptable to that first company was not acceptable to others. It may feel good for people to assume that the 'fault' lies with someone else, it doesn't help you. I would do it.

This reply is just ridiculous - ImaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 30+ years of experience. A few months ago, I started putting out resumes and testing because the company I was with was reducing their line rate.
I've had several offers with line rates from 8.5 cpl to 11 cpl as an employee.

So the theory that EVERYONE is shunning people with longevity is just not true. Sure maybe one or two companies or the one everyone complains about, etc but my experience just doesn't reflect that.

To the OP-- When testing don't over-think it. If a heading is dictated, put it in. If it's not, don't sweat it. If you're failing the typing portion, you have to ask yourself if you are leaving blanks, are you catching things like tenses, noun/verb agreement, etc. These are things that are often not glaring things, but a good MT will catch them and change them. I think this makes the difference between what everyone puts in the test and those that get calls.

Also, write a nice email to the recruiter asking letting him/her know that you would like to know for future reference what may have needed improvement. You may or may not get any feedback but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Keep trying!

thanks! - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the advice. I'm studying now for another test tomorrow. I think I need to get back to basics.

Oh, well geeeze, we should all claim 5 - 7 yrs experience and drop a few off the resume - WTFtryit

[ In Reply To ..]

That's silly, but if I were hiring I would look for signs of an attitude in experienced MTs - Some have one and I do not want to be around them

[ In Reply To ..]
Most experienced MTs know their stuff and also have developed professional coping skills, good work ethics, and people skills. Then there are those who missed those classes apparently.

If I were hiring, and I am not and have never hired an MT to transcribe for me or for any company, I would be looking for signs of which side the MT candidate is on, the one with the professional skills and work ethics or the ones with the 'years' they've put in and the attitude being the main thing showing from it.

Those of you who have been around as long as I have know what I'm talking about. As an MT with many long years of experience, I have seen both kinds. There are few people more miserable to work around as the MT who knows "as much as the nurses and doctors" and I've "always done it this way" and "by the way, I don't do ESL and I sure don't do no stinkin' VR and I don't care about why you want me to...(finish sentence) " and as far as the way I do my work, it "was good enough for my employer these last 15 years, so you're just going to have to deal with it."

IF I were hiring, I wouldn't deal with it. I would keep looking. It's bad enough to have to be forced to work with them as co-workers when the MTSO was unfortunate enough to hire them. I wouldn't make that mistake. The very first sign of that attitude and that MT would be sent on his or her way. I would rather have someone with a teachable attitude and good, solid skills who doesn't think they know everything. But that's just me.

It IS true. Every time I apply, I find myself shaving - more and more years off my experience

[ In Reply To ..]
in my resume. Now if there were only a way to not give my SS# until I'm hired, so they don't know my age!

I've got 35 years' experience, but I've started going by what the ad says. If it says 10-15 years, I'll give 'em the last 10 years. If they say 3-5 years, I'll omit my former two jobs off my resume. And if they say no experience, then heck - I'll tell em I'm a newbie.

Whatever it takes.

RE: Trouble testing - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you tell me what are the best books I should have to take tests and for my own reference? I have the AAMT Book of Style. What is being used now mostly by MT's?? The last company I worked for I was there for 7 years. It was a medium-sized company and they provided all templates and how they wanted the reports formatted so it was a pretty easy job.I would appreciate any suggestions!! Liz

If I were doing it I would go back to what you learned in school years ago - Across The Board

[ In Reply To ..]
You may have picked up some bad habits in your last job. If you still have the materials you studied in MT school, go back and review those. It isn't easy to unlearn bad habits, but you can do it. Attitude and motivation are 90% of it. The rest isn't that hard.

RE: Trouble testing - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for all the comments and advice. I think after reading everything it's probably just general transcription rules that I've lost and need to brush up on again so I will be studying my basic rules before the next test!! I noted most tests are not timed and I pass the multiple choices, it's just the typing portion I'm not so I'm thinking it's basic rules that I'm not getting correct. I will just keep plugging away until I get another job!

Testing--which BOS are you using? BOS2? sm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It really makes a difference. When I test I ask, BOS or no BOS. If they don't say or are vague with response, etc, then I transcribe verbatim. If they say BOS and don't specify which BOS, I use current one because you’re expected to have current references anyway.

I believe there is a BOS3 now to 1 and 2 are obsolete - nm -

[ In Reply To ..]
x

My company ONLY uses BOS2 and stated specifically..sm - Not exactly

[ In Reply To ..]
that we are NOT to use BOS3. I think it depends on the clients and the company for whom you work.

Why don't you ask the MTSO what exactly you are doing wrong? sm - Mqmt

[ In Reply To ..]
They should be able to tell you where you are making mistakes. If they don't then I really don't think they are up for hiring you! When I used to test quite a few years ago I was told the format didn't count, they just wanted to see if I could transcribe correctly and punctuate, etc. They checked spelling I think as well. I would ask these companies what is wrong. You won't know until you do ask.

Is it possible that the test is timed? - Just a thought

[ In Reply To ..]
and you are taking more time that they allot for the typing/transcription portion of the test?

I agree, not every company "announces" that their test is timed - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

KEEP PLUGGING ON. It might just be a formatted rejection letter - .

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you seen the number of VIEWS on the job ads. This can also mean they are able to pick the top 1% or better. So that does not mean you did not pass PER SE. It might not have even been looked at. I recall years ago, I was rejected after the test, within seconds, a window came up saying you do not have enough exp. and suggested and gave name of school (probably theirs) so you seeeee. Fortunately, I mentioned this to the hiring company. It was one of the paid for testing companies.

Just keep plugging on. I always rewind and relisten prior to SENDING and keep a copy too.

On formatting, that would be unfair TOTALLY, there are lots of ways to format reports for heaven sakes

Keep right on going. Try and put out of your mind or it will freak you out on the next test. Plug on.

I understand completely - gintex

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been doing acute care for over 25 years and am usually offered the same as a "newbie", what an insult!

Not everyone is having that problem - It is not a huge conspiracy against the experience

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

RE: Trouble testing!! I need help! - Liz

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to all your advice I passed my test today!!!! Thank you all so much for your help. I went back to the basics and that is exactly what it took to get me a new job! Have a great night!!

Congratulations! - Nice work.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Saince Testing? Transcription Or Vocabulary/terminology Type Testing?
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone willing to tell if it is multiple dictations, how many, etc.  Were you able to get foot pedal to work with it? any info helpful.  ...

Anyone Else Having Trouble With
Feb 15, 2010

I can't even get it to open.  ...

DS Trouble
Feb 22, 2010

My laptop crashed today and is now in the shop.  I am trying to use our home desktop but can't get the files to completely download.  I called customer service, but since I am using our home computer, they won't help, only told me to make sure that any firewalls are turned off before installing DS.  Has anyone had this trouble before that can help?  I have uninstalled DS and reinstalled it several times, restarted the computer, turned off any firewalls I can find, t ...

Anyone Else Having Trouble With DQS?
Apr 19, 2010

All of the sudden, it is hung on the download screen.  The box popped up saying "downloading job #xxxxxxxx.  Getting job details." And then the log out button is below that. It has been like that for 10 minutes.  I logged out and logged back in.  The same job came back as a reserved job, and it is hung again, doing the same thing. I checked DEP now, but the light is green.  Just wondering if anyone else is having issues.  Guess I'll have to contact suppo ...

Is Anybody Having Trouble With Using
Jun 23, 2010

Explorer 8 on Medquist computer? They sent me a new computer because the fan went out in the old one and the new one had Explorer 8 on it. Now anything internet-based such as DocQmanage (client profiles, etc.) the text has letters that are different colors, making it very hard to read, and tech support cannot figure out how to fix it. It seems to be related to Explorer 8 because I did not have this problem with Explorer 6 and everything else such as DocQscribe, PDF files, and word files are all ...

Trouble With DQS?
Jul 26, 2010

Anyone else having trouble with DQS this morning? I had trouble logging on, would get stuck loading a job then take the job away, say no jobs available, etc. Then it worked for a while, now doing the same thing. Tried to call support, busy. Was just wondering if it was just me! ...

You Know You're In Trouble When ...
Sep 08, 2010

At the very beginning of the dictation with a doc who is already pretty speedy you hear him say to someone in the background "I'll be done in 30 seconds." Oy!!!! ...

Anyone Else Still Having Trouble With
Sep 29, 2010

I just called and got my password cleared, so now I can get into MedCentral, but when I go to my mail it says missing or unrecognized user name or password for the specified server.  What the ****.  Don't tell me I have to call support and sit on hold again!!  Please, does anybody know how to fix this?   ...

Trouble Getting PTO For NJA!
Oct 09, 2010

Is anyone having a problem getting paid when there are NJA?  I must be missing a step because my requests are being ignored!! ...

Anyone Having This Trouble?
Oct 10, 2010

For the last several days Google has been running very slow.  It is even taking a long time for my typing to show up in the search box.  It works fine on my home computer but not on my work machine.  Any ideas?  It was fine until a few days ago. Thanks for any help you can give me. ...

ANYONE HAVE TROUBLE WITH DIT?
Oct 30, 2010

HAS ANYONE HAD TROUBLE WORKING FOR DIT?  FOR INSTANCE NOT GETTING PAID? ...

Has Anyone Else Had Trouble With
Sep 13, 2011

technical difficulties at Meridian?  I love my new job, but I keep getting an error message that says A Win32 API function failed.  Would this have anything to do with my computer being a 64-bit rather than 32-bit? ...

In Trouble And Looking For Help, Please (SM)
Jan 05, 2012

I recently accepted a position with a company because this company had supposedly obtained a huge account. After completing the paperwork, sending it back, training on the account and working for about 3 days, I was told that the account was lost. Now I am sat here for 14 to 16 hours a day trying to squeeze out lines from another account that about 60 MTs were placed on when the other account was lost. In 14 to 16 hours I am only able to do between 300 to 500 lines and I am almost to the poin ...

Is Anyone Having Trouble Getting Into This?
May 03, 2012

Is anyone having trouble getting into this? I have NJA and can't get in to get a ticket assigned...What next? ...

For Those Having Trouble Getting A Job
Jun 01, 2012

Some companies are using software to screen applicants. From the WSJ  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304821304577436172660988042.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_RightRailColumns "As anyone who has applied for a job lately knows, the trick is parroting all the words in the job description but not just copying and pasting the text, which leads the software to discard the application. It's a whole new skill: Clearing the software hurdle is as important as being able to do the job." ...

Way To Much Trouble
Jul 18, 2012

but can anyone help me? I currently use IT Pro V and have written to the company on several occasions asking about a patch for Vista, as it seems to crash a lot since I upgraded my computer. They keep saying they no longer support IT Pro V and can't help me. I'm frankly disgusted with the company, as they insist that I need to upgrade and spend the $190 for the new version. I am a single mom and this is my only source of income and some of us just can't afford to upgrade. I haven ...

Will I Get In Trouble If?
Jul 17, 2012

Just thinking I should put a little statement at the bottom of my emails - Offshoring Health Care Documents should be Illegal! : o   ...

Trouble With DQS
Aug 18, 2012

Anyone having trouble signing on or bringing up DQM?  I am able to go into the internet, Google, etc., but when I try to bring up schedule source tells me there is no connection. ...

Anyone Having Trouble With DQS?
Feb 05, 2013

Everything is frozen.  Can't upload or log out or anything. ...

Anybody Having Trouble With TW
Aug 05, 2013

Got a big red warning type box and a paperclip that note was sent to manager.  All I did was update my time. ...

Having A Little Trouble With This MRI Please SM
Sep 11, 2013

MRI scan of the lumbar spine shows a collapse at L5, S1.  Disk space narrowing.  S/L LORDIC TWO changes, and S/L he is saying COLA BEFORE -epidural fibrosis at L5, S1 of the right S/L-DOUBT, herniated disk.     Thanks so much in advance!! Foriegn doc and a little too early in the morning!! lol ...

Boy I Am Going To Get In Trouble.
Mar 15, 2014

Gee, what is the effect of doing short letters, and with no ADT, for 75% of your shift for 2 days? An lph count of 88!! ASR will not speed up production for short reports, unless it is perfect. Unfortunately, perfect ASR will not make up for all the uncompensated time I spent entering the patient's name and all the patient's information, the addressee and their address, plus the 5 different physicians the physicians want copies sent to. No way I can make up the deficit in the ...

Anyone Else Having Trouble With E-mal?
Jan 06, 2015

cannot get into e-mail this a.m.  Strange? ...

Anyone Else Have So Much Trouble
Jan 14, 2015

getting started that they rescinded the offer?  I have a feeling I may be glad in the end after all I have read here ...

I Am In Trouble Now.
Mar 19, 2015

I typed 65-year-old patient instead of (a 65-year-old patient). I am sure this error caused the patient to die, LOL. I would like to see one of the suits try to do our job for a day. Mmodal what about paying A LIVING WAGE.   ...

Trouble With MQ Regarding Equipment
Oct 12, 2009

Hi everyone. I am having trouble with MQ regarding equipment and I'm hoping someone could maybe help me out here. I used to work for MQ and had returned my equipment after leaving. I was re-hired a few months later, but used my own equipment, therefore, never took anything back or received anything from them again. The returned equipment was returned over a year ago and I no longer have the receipt from UPS, as I never heard anything and had no reason to think there was a problem. Any ...

I Got In Trouble For Not Changing 1st, 2nd Etc
Oct 23, 2009

I always thought it was optional to spell out 1st, 2nd, or 3rd per AAMT BOS so now I will go look for it.  I am so frustrated though because not only do I get paid less on ASR but it takes longer to do it!  My accounts have to be put into standards and the dictators sure as heck do NOT dictate it that way!  On the physical exam in one of my accounts we have to do headings caps on the left margin, which isn't so bad, but I said they sure as heck don't dictate that way and ...

Puncuation Trouble
Nov 02, 2009

I am having trouble with this. I actually have 2 questions about it. A years' past medical records. Dr. diagnosed tachycardia, atherosclerotic heart disease, post angioplasty for coronary heart disease, history of alcohol abuse, and asthma. in years should it be 's or s'? and should it be a colon after records or period? I'm confusing myself like crazy. ...

Having So Much Trouble With This Doctor......
Jan 18, 2010

No. 2 of his impression is: Acute pancreatitis with probable cysts.  Rule out pseudocyesis or superimposed candidiasis.  The fullness of the cul-de-sac may be secondary to ascites (s/l lofadet) gynecology problem.  HELP!!!!!!!! ...

Anyone Having Trouble Going FT With MDI/TRANSCEND?
Jan 23, 2010

I am just wondering if any of you are transitioning to full-time from MDI on 02/01/2010, and if you are, are you having trouble with MDI/Transcend about this.  The reason I am asking is that  I received a note and they said they were just told that I was going to go full-time, after I had already turned in my paperwork and applied for full-time benefits awhile ago now.  They said it would be too costly for me to maintain the insurance on a 35-hour work week??? They also asked ...