A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anybody else in the letter business? - anon

Posted: Aug 30, 2010

The conglomerate I type for mostly (which is about 30 university clinics, each with 150 or so non-English-speaking residents) sends almost everything in "letter" form.  There is a useless letter standard, but I spend the first 1-2 minutes of the dictation on the address (and have to manually re-enter into the cc list), usually have to go Google to try to find how Dr. Swishandswash spells his name and address in Podunkville.  It is killing me.  There must be some way to streamline this process.  The docs are not in the data base since they are not "clinic" doctors, just referring internal medicine, pediatrician, etc.  Between adding ADT info (one of the clinics doesn't have ADT feed so all has to be added manually - phoenetically spelled) and the address, salutations, and carbon copy to the numerous doctors, I am dying here.  I actually get paid (my 60% line rate) for about half of my transcription.

Totally infuriating. 

Normally, when we obtained the correct address (sm) - OTE

[ In Reply To ..]
We sent that information to the client to be added to the database to refrain from looking it up every time or we were given access to the DocQmanage system to look up previous reports for that patient to input that information. Place it back on the client. DocQscribe is setup for inputting the doctors's names and addresses for letters. Make them utilize that function.

It is never the same doctor twice - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
That is why I am not sure how to streamline. If it was repetitious, it could be fixed. This is just Dr. Whomever sometimes from neighboring states because this is a big teaching university with about 30 specialty clinics and every doctor gets cc'd.

This, among other things, is precisely why MT - should go back to HOURLY pay.

[ In Reply To ..]
Production pay never worked that well even in the best of times. But now that we're often nothing more than glorified data-entry clerks, there's little time left to produce "paid lines". If they want us to do all that data-entry crap, then they should either pay us for every keystroke to do so, or else pay us by the hour.

On this account, I think hourly would be more humane. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

you are not a clerk - unreal

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not look allof these cc's up. I would type what is said and leave a QA note for what is not spelled.

Then, in the QA note, I would state "dictator did not spell physician name, please verify" or "Unable to locate street name, please verify" that way it puts the searching back on them as we do not get paid for it.

Plus, I think that this alone would cover you in a HIPAA situation as you told them to verify before it is sent.

This is not a bad idea. I try to put out a complete - report, but this is killing my

[ In Reply To ..]
production. Plus now they have gone to ASR, so ASR puts in a mass of garbage that just has to be deleted while I try to produce the correct addresses and names out of my behind (for 60% of my line rate of course).

this is exactly what I do also - underpaid

[ In Reply To ..]
I do this for all accounts. There is no way I am taking a penalty for a HIPAA violation!

If the doctor clearly states and spells what he wants, and I type it that way, it is not my fault if it is wrong.

If the doctor does not clearly state or spell what he wants, then they get a note stating "please verify" so I am off the hook!

I have several good websites to look up physicians, but even if I find Dr. XYZ, how would I know if this dictator was not referring to some other Dr. XYZ in a tiny boondock town in Iowa instead.

This simply is not our problem!!!

I usedto type letters, and for addresses you just - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
have to create a document and as you get a physician and address, add it to the document. Then, as it gets built up, all you have to do is a search and then copy and paste. If your clinic is like the one I worked at, the majority of letters go to the same people. You should be able to copy it into a cc list if you are entering it manually.

Similar Messages:

MS WORD HELP. Will Not Begin Sentence With First Letter In All Caps Anymore, Also The Letter "
Dec 20, 2009

A few weeks ago, for no reason that I can find, I cannot get the first letter of a sentence to be in all caps automatically, (unless I do it manually.)  The same for the letter " I " by itself when typed.   It was always automatic and now all of a sudden it is doing this and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Thanks, appreciate the help ...

The VLC - Are They Still In Business?!
Dec 22, 2009

I'm a student with The VLC online school.  I sent in 2 assignments 9 days ago and haven't heard back from them.  They've never been particularly swift reviewing assignments but this is getting ridiculous.  I emailed both the instructor and the general contact address and got Mail Delivery System messages to say that "delivery has been delayed.  Error: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP."  Their forum site is down although the main web site is still ...

New Business
Apr 05, 2010

I have started my  own medical transcription business and it is going great!  I decaled my vehicle, designed a website and distributed a professional-looking brochure to all medical offices in my city.  How many of you out there are MTs that started their own business?  I would like some feedback on how it is going for you. ...

Going Out Of Business?
Jun 21, 2010

I hate the way things are going, MTSO lost their largest account.  I was promised the same amount of work with the 'other' accounts.  Had all but 7 short notes today.  I think I should just jump ship and find another job.  I am NOT liking the way things are going...Been doing this for a LONG time and I can tell when something is up.  Of course, I asked, they won't tell me the truth, they SELDOM do tell the truth of what is really going on. ...

DIT Is Still In Business?
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if DIT is still in business?  They do not return phone calls and do not respond to emails.  Just wondering. ...

Why Is It Anybody's Business?
Nov 18, 2010

I really resent the fact of being critiqued on how i transcribe/edit a report.  Why is it anybody's business if I use the mouse, keystrokes, or type it with my toes, as long as the report gets done?  I'm sure we all have different styles that work for us - so what's wrong with that?  This is carrying micro-management way too far.  ...

Own Business
Aug 12, 2011

I'm wanting to start my own MT business, small scale, moving away from these big national companies. Anybody been there, done that, have a good experience, and some advice as to where to start? ...

Look At This-get Out Of The Business While Ya Can
Aug 23, 2012

Looks like according to this article that Nuance really did try to buy out MModal:   MModal to Disclose Data to Settle Suits Over Acquisition By Jef Feeley - Aug 10, 2012 10:35 AM CT Facebook Share LinkedIn Google +1 0 Comments Print QUEUE Q MModal Inc., a maker of medical- transcription software, agreed to make more disclosures about a $1.1 billion buyout offer by a unit of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) to settle investor lawsuits over th ...

Does Anyone Know If QMT Or GCT Are Still In Business?
Feb 20, 2014

A friend said her work load dropped at GCT and she was asked to take a PRN status, but suspected the EPIC system the hospital started.  I know that QMT is also affilicated with the same hospitals. Does anyone have work? ...

How Many Of You Had To Get A Business Licence
Oct 13, 2009

I am curious how many of you had to get a business licence.  I live in OR and was told by the tax lady that I need to get a city business license.  Does everyone have to have one.  I keep getting surveys as though I am a business with employees (how many employees, size of building I run my business from, etc).  So am just curious how many others got this and is it a requirement as an IC to have the license. (just wonder if my tax lady was wrong). ...

One Good Way To Get Out Of This Business.
Mar 24, 2010

Fed up with it?  Also fed up with the usual job sites that repeat the same ones over and over?  Go to your state's Employment Commission web site.  Click on site for state job postings.  Put in your job criteria, and make sure you click the one that says G for General Public.  Put in full/part time, etc.  You can even select the county in which you wish to work.  When the jobs are posted you usually have 10 days to do an online application and can submit ...

Greed In The MT Business
May 04, 2010

I believe greed has taken over the transcription industry.  If the client is charged so much per line, does he only have to pay half for voice recognition?  I doubt it.  The voice recognition should have been a tool for the transcriptionist to be able to produce a lot more lines . . . instead I believe it is so the higher ups can line their pockets with gold and stomp on the MLS.  Transcend is now sooooo greedy they are sending almost half of the work overseas at night.  ...

Business License?
Aug 03, 2010

Under what circumstances would MTs need business licenses?  Are they only needed if the MT is running a home office?  Working for people in the same state?   ...

Rather Than Claim 'it's Just Business'...
Sep 03, 2010

I'm wondering if those who claiim that this is 'just business' and it's how business is done everywhere can give a valid reason why it is more beneficial for the company to lay off without giving notice versus letting employees know they are getting laid off?  I'm trying to look at the employer perspective now and see what benefits the company by not announcing future lay-offs. ...

Business Licenses
Sep 28, 2010

I live in Florida and am trying to obtain a business license for medical transcription.  My county and city do not give them out and they tell me to call the State of FL, I have called about 10 different numbers and no one can help me.  If there is anyone out there who has a business license for medical transcription in the State of FL, please let me know how you went about getting one.  ...

Starting A Business
Jan 29, 2011

Hi. I am new to MT boards here but wondering about how one would start a home business. I have worked for companies as a subcontractor but wish to advertise for myself and get some work from local doctors on my own. I would likely need a mini transcriber if I have to pick up and drop off tapes, but how does one do it over the internet? Would there be a way to get it through email set up of some kind with audio wav files that they could dictate to and I access it from there and just type and emai ...

MedQuist The Business
Mar 08, 2011

Does anyone know how many people MedQuist employs?  How many of them are MTs?  How many hospital accounts does MQ have?  Is it the largest MTSO in the US?  Just curious. ...

Anyone Using Hughesnet Business?
Jul 23, 2011

Trying to figure out a way to live in the country and still work.  I know people have said that using satellite such as wildblue has been a disaster for them, but I see that hughesnet has business plans.  With these you get a larger dish, faster speeds, and what sounds like a more stable connection.  It looks to me like it could work, hoping for some input from anyone who has tried it or is presently working with it.  Thanks so much.  ...

Start Your Own Business
Jul 29, 2011

I am really tired of working for other people and have them treat you like dirt all the while making millions of bucks off our hard work. Has anyone looked into starting their own company?  What resources are required and how does one go about licensing, getting clients, etc.? Any information on this topic would be helpful.  Please don't reply if you have anything negative to say.  Just want some good clean advice  :) ...

Do I Need A Business License?
Dec 27, 2011

If I offer my services as an IC to a company do I need a business license....I dont have others working under me, just tryin' to get the job as an IC.   I just noticed in their agreement that I am agreeing that I have a business license b/c I am "offering services to the public".  Thanks.  ...

Is Transcript USA Still In Business? Nm
Apr 23, 2012

nm ...

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS
May 14, 2012

Call me naive, but I just saw a popup ad that seems to be advertising that the county where I live has 5 international offices.  I don't know why I'm surprised to hear this, but it seems pertinent to our concerns regarding offshoring.  Maybe we should learn how to join them if we can't beat them?  Maybe global marketing is the subject we all could profit from studying?? "In addition to the U.S.-based International Marketing Division, the *** has offices in Californ ...

Starting My Own Business
Aug 28, 2012

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to start my own business.  I am tired of working for 5 cents a line.  This is below minimum wage.  I did get in touch with Transcription Gear and they gave me a lot of insight on the equipment I would need.  I am looking for info here on what is a fair price per line or page fee and also how to market myself the right way.  Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Business License For ICs
Nov 20, 2012

I was informed that I need a business license to work for a company as an IC.  My city, county, and state do not require a home-based business that files a schedule C with their tax return to have a license if they do not sell items to the general public and the only employees are family members.  Can they cancel my contract for not having a license? ...

IC And Business License Or LLC
Jan 10, 2013

Has anyone working as an IC been required to obtain a business license or become an LLC to continue IC status? The company I IC with has been acquired by a new mgt company and they are requiring all IC to do this. ...

Business License/IC In WI
Feb 15, 2013

Good morning - I'm currently working in a small hospital in WI but looking at doing some work as an IC for the first time.  After much googling, emails that are getting me nowhere and phone calls with endless strings of menus to choose from and no real people to speak with, I am at my wit's end with trying to figure out if a business license is required in the state of Wisconsin in order to work as an independent contractor.  If it is required, do you know how to go about obt ...

How Do They Stay In Business?
May 18, 2013

I've read post after post after post, in addition to having my own experience with Nuance and I really wonder how this company as well as M*Modal stay in business.  I guess even though people are quitting left and right or being fired for not having 99% accuracy, there must be more people waiting in the wings to take their places. I originally came from Transcend prior to the acquisition by Nuance and although I can't say that company was the best either, IMO, it was better than ...

Do We Ever Get A Raise In This Business?
Jul 08, 2013

Two years at the company and they ignore my emails regarding raises. ...

Diskriter Still In Business
May 05, 2014

thought they were long gone.   ...

Do You Need A Business License To Be An IC?
Dec 22, 2014

Are there any other legalities that need to be reconciled up front? ...