A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

So freakin bored! - adkmt

Posted: May 19, 2011

Lately I am sooooo bored with work.  I do about 1/3 regular transcription and 2/3 ASR and I'm bored out of my mind.  Very seldom have to research much other than doctor's names or equipment names.  Same dictators saying the same things with the same irritating quirks.  ASR with the same stupid mistakes to change in virtually the same reports I did the day before.

Is there some way to cope with the boredom?  Do I need a new account or something?  I'm getting to where I have to force myself to stay off of other sites and push for speed.  I need the lines desparately, but just can't stand the long hours of sameness right now.  Can you burn out in 4 years of doing a job?

Any advice?

Anyone? NM - adkmt

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

So freakin' bored - nina

[ In Reply To ..]
Only 4 years?? Try 15 years, then talk about being bored. It's all part of the job . . . it goes with the territory.

bored - FL MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been at this for about 18 years and I am not bored, hardly ever. It is nice to have little distractions, music, laptop on the side of computer to keep an eye on e-mail, facebook and MTStars, walk with my dog outside. Gosh every once in awhile I learn something new from these docs. Lot of repetitive stuff, but for some reason I am not bored, I love the written word.

Thanks for the reply. sm - adkmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I loved it when it was all regular transcription. It flowed then. I guess mostly it is the ASR that is driving me crazy. I need to get out of this rut though. I need a vacation, but who can afford one?

bored - nina

[ In Reply To ..]
So true, the speech recognition does make it harder. My account is straight typing, so it does make it a bit easier to stay focused. Sorry if I sounded crabby in my earlier post, didn't mean to sound that way. I do get bored at times, especially when working late in the evening, it is so quiet in the house and I want to fall asleep.

boredom/occupational hazard - old hand

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been bored with this for going on 30 years now. I don't know what to tell you that will help except that the work we do is really important. I sure wish the money was better though; a good paycheck used to help -- a lot!

It's the speech recognition - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
It isn't as engaging as typing. I don't feel as accomplished as I did when I would type a report either. If I get a run of actual typing lines, I feel let down and all my motivation is gone once I finish those and am back to editing again. I know exactly how you feel. I leave the news on in the background and if something sounds interesting, I will quit for a second and let my brain be refreshed with whatever may be happening. Then I go back to the grind. I also check on here a lot to see what people are saying.

How funny. I feel I've accomplished more by editing more. - When I have to downgrade my time to

[ In Reply To ..]
typing, I feel I've accomplished less, grinding away getting those words on paper. Shouldn't some machine be doing that for me? :)

Attitude is so important. Editing IS higher-level work, plus our production is much higher. The assumption initially was that editing would be paid more than transcription, and I think if we had that proof of value we'd feel a lot better about editing itself. The quality of drafts allowed to come to us would also improve if our time cost more.

Response - SS

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree; I think it's the VRE. Editing isn't as stimulating as straight typing, and editing is quieter, too. I like the rhythm of typing; I have felt so out of synch editing.

That's a good observation. I'm the one above who liked editing, - but it IS more of a trying to make time

[ In Reply To ..]
on an obstacle course than jogging down a quiet path.

Exactly - adkmt

[ In Reply To ..]
My editing consists of stopping every few words to add The in front of Patient, change mL to cc, because our account wants it, but ASR doesn't do it, change punctuation because the dictators run the sentences together or else over punctuate, separate medications into numbered lists because the dictators can't seem to say "next number" which would automatically list them, and a long list of other mindless changes. After a year of ASR, I could still type most reports almost as fast by myself using expansions.

A change will do you good - Daisy

[ In Reply To ..]
A change is definitely in order. Does your company have any other accounts or specialties that you could learn?

I've only changed jobs a couple of times in my career but I can tell you that the buzz from learning a new company lasts me at least a year or two. Learning new accounts, new dictators all keeps you on your toes. Change is scary, but the excitement will keep you awake!

Similar Messages:

Oh My Freakin' Goodnes... From A WHOLE FREAKIN' YEAR AGO.....
Jan 02, 2012

I will almost certainly get banned for "cutting-and-pasting" this...  but here goes anyway.... Oh my Gosh - I disagree in so many ways - see message Posted: Jan 30th, 2011 - 4:05 am In Reply to: We are a "dime a dozen" and it is our own fault - NocturnalHooter1. We didn't loose our profession when we decided to work from home. It was a choice we made. I am still an MT whether I work in an office or at my home office. Nothing has been lost. However, some of us became MTs so that we co ...

So Bored!!
Oct 03, 2012

I just started doing SR work a few weeks ago, and I have never been so bored in all my life.  Is it just me, or does anyone else find it extremely boring?  It takes everything I've got to not fall asleep while I'm working.  And it seems all I ever do is put in commas.  Also I was given the impression that it would be so easy to do around 300 lines an hour on SR, but I'm sure not getting that.  I'm lucky to get 150.  Not real happy right now.  ...

I Am Bored Out Of My Mind And/or Can't Concentrate
Sep 16, 2014

I have literally put my face in my hands out of not being able to stand working today. Anything to help??? ...

Freakin Me Out
Aug 03, 2013

All these stories about difficulty because of age are freakin me out. I am 55+ and thinking about moving from one hosp at home to inhouse at a better hosp. Both have full bennies, etc. I will be giving up a week of vacation each year (from 3 down to 2).  Am I wasting my time going for the interview? Will I walk in and see look of horror on the interviewer's face because I am not younger? Ego already fragile, rather not subject myself to that. TIA.   ...

Freakin Comma
Apr 06, 2010

I have a dictator who is on 100% QA.  I just had a chart returned to me because even though my QC said it was correct use of the comma, the dictator did not want the comma in there.  Ok, so now I will give him NO commas anywhere unless he says "comma."  For the love of God, can we EVER have a standard and consistent way of doing things and not let doctor so-and-so from here get this and doctor so-and-so from here get that. I guess I am just so OVER i ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

Dear Doctor, Clear You Freakin' Throat!
Mar 20, 2015

lozenge in your mouth before you start dictating or take Claritin to relieve your allergy symptoms. Sick of your voice going in and out from hoarseness and not being able to hear what you are saying.  For the love of God, physician heal thyself. ...