A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

freakin me out - SM

Posted: Aug 03, 2013

All these stories about difficulty because of age are freakin me out. I am 55+ and thinking about moving from one hosp at home to inhouse at a better hosp. Both have full bennies, etc. I will be giving up a week of vacation each year (from 3 down to 2).  Am I wasting my time going for the interview? Will I walk in and see look of horror on the interviewer's face because I am not younger? Ego already fragile, rather not subject myself to that. TIA.

freakin me out - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
It all depends on your experience and how good you are. I know MTs in their 60s and even one in her 70s who worked in hospitals. Sometimes the experience you bring with you is what really matters. If we were trying for jobs as models, etc. yes, we're over the hill (my birthday was yesterday and I am way older than you are). What do you have to lose? When I was in a hiring position, age mattered nothing to me; experience and personality meant everything. Go for it! Good luck to you.

models! - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
made me laugh out loud! thanks.

older - Effie

[ In Reply To ..]
At my hospital we prefer older employees.. more reliabl employees who take off much less time then younger ones.

I am a little freaked out, too - Got substance

[ In Reply To ..]
I just finished up a program at my local technical college, and our class took the certification exam yesterday. During the course of the program, I made friends with a young lady 22 years old. I am old enough to be her mother, but we hit it off really well and became friends. Last night we celebrated together and went out to dinner - my husband and her boyfriend just both happened to be out of town. We had a great time.

Here's the thing, though. I have had all kinds of different jobs, I am college educated (she is not yet), and I scored much better on my employability skills and got better grades than she did, but the two of us are really different, and I think she will find a job before me, even though we are both equally qualified or maybe I am a little more qualified. It honestly made me wonder if it comes down to personality more than substance. My young friend was giving me all kinds of interviewing advice last night (even though I have had more interviews and jobs than she can even imagine), and her advice was all about personality traits - joking, laughing, overwhelming them with your big personality and smile, etc. This is not my style. I am warm and genuine and I have a quiet confidence, but I am not that type of extrovert, and I don't want to not be myself in an interview. I think I will get a job eventually, but I think she will land a job much faster because of her personality and youth. Thankfully I am fit and have taken good care of myself, so I probably look 10 years younger or more than I am, plus I have a small frame, and that helps a little.

Anyway, I am freaked out as well. I wish you the best. If you are an extrovert, my friend would say you should razzle dazzle them with your personality, tell jokes, and make them laugh.

What I think - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You are letting this girl's beliefs affect your confidence, when there is no evidence that they are in any way valid.

You think she is your friend, and she might be, but I see someone who knows she is going to be competing for the same jobs you are, probably recognizes you as a prime competitor, and who is intentionally planting the seeds of doubt to give herself an advantage.

If you think you might be too quiet, by all means be a little more outgoing. Don't think you need to become a frivolous, shallow party-girl, though.
They only have the advantage with the kinds of people who expect services that you don't want to provide.

Go get a nice dress and jacket, or a youthful suit, get your hair colored and styled at a good salon, get your eyebrows done, and get a business makeover at a large department store or Sephora. Get foundation and blush there -- the colors will be better. Do not wear eyeshadow that is shiny or if your eyelids make it look crepey or like lizard skin. Do not pencil in freaky eyebrows, but you can use a little powder fill or brush-on eyebrow color. Do not use harsh, dark eyeliner, a thick swath of eyeliner, or colored eyeliner, and do not line the lower lid. Wear mascara that won't smear. Wear neutral, light lipstick, not dark or red, and do not greatly exceed your lip line. Use moisturizer and exfoliate regularly to de-age your skin tone.

Studies are showing that makeup projects a desirable, professional appearance. Blush makes observers think you are younger. Harsh eyebrows and unnatural colors of eyeshadow point out age. Dark or red lipstick are seen as suggestive, not professional. Glasses make you look more professional, but not bifocals.

The smell of grapefruit also makes people think you are younger. Perfume sends the wrong message entirely, especially if they don't like it. Hospitals and other facilities now ban perfume, so don't show up wearing it. They may ban dangly or large earrings and jewelry.

Manicured nails are also seen as professional. Hospitals now ban nails longer than about 1/4 inch, along with synthetics and wraps, nail jewelry, dark colors, unnatural colors, and designs. (We don't hire folks who don't show up for the interview already looking appropriate. We did not hire one coder because she had 2-inch clawss.)

Someone just posted on the coding board about the AHIMA career map. If you are in that field, take a look at that. The 2nd post has some tips for using your MT background on resumes and in interviews.

Also - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you wear a skirt, be sure to wear pantyhose! No crazy shoes either.

Bring copies of your resume and also be at least 15 minutes early to your interview.

Also, I'm more on the introverted side as well. I have had several hiring managers tell me that they would rather take a person who was calm, self-possessed, and semi-serious (aka, professional), over an interviewee that was boisterous and made jokes about everything.

Btw -- I'm in my 30s, college grad, SAHM, IC MT for almost 10 years. I just interviewed for a receptionist position, but got beat out by a woman in her 50s who had more experience than me.
Pantyhose, oh yes... - Got substance
[ In Reply To ..]
I am pretty sure I can do calm, self-possessed and professional, especially with some practice answering the basic interview questions out loud (which I have been doing).

I am sorry that you got beat out on your receptionist position, but I appreciate that it was a woman in her 50s with more experience. That gives me hope. I wish you the best of luck and thank you for the tips as well.
Re: Pantyhose - be sure to pack a spare pair - in your purse. That way, -sm
[ In Reply To ..]
if you get a run in your pantyhose between the car and the interviewer's office, you can duck into a bathroom and change. Also, buy NEW pantyhose for a job interview! I had a misadventure one time when I put on some old pantyhose that seemed just fine, but it turned out the elastic waistband was no longer very stretchy, and started to give out - lowering my pantyhose to half-mast as I crossed a busy intersection walking to the job interview. No spare pair, either! Luckily there was a public restroom just inside the lobby of the building, and I was able to remedy the situation by taking off the pantyhose, then underwear, and putting the pantyhose on first (tying a knot in the stretched-out elastic), and then the underwear on over the pantyhose to hold them up. After that little adventure, and the stress it caused, I'll never go to an important function without a spare pair, just in case!
How do you know what "the basic interview questions" are? - Wondering. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
Look on most job-hunters' websites, and you can - find lists of common questions. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
XX
Career counselor - Got substance
[ In Reply To ..]
The career counselor at my technical college came and talked to our class and gave us some great information about resumes, interviewing attire, using social media, cover letters, and all kinds of information about interviewing including the types of questions to expect, plus I have been on interviews over the years, and there always seems to be some typical questions. These are along the lines of "tell me about yourself," "why should we hire you," "what are your strengths and weaknesses," etc. I do better being prepared for these than winging it when I interview, so I like to have something in mind to say for the ones that I know are probably coming.

Thanks, very good information - Got substance

[ In Reply To ..]
I will be looking for jobs in a health-related field, although not in coding, but your great information all still applies. I went to Macy's and had a fantastic sales lady help me with a suit and blouse and shoes (she knew I was specifically looking for interview clothes). I have a great interview outfit. I am getting my hair cut and styled next week, but I do that regularly anyway (I wear a stylish short cut and have no gray as of yet - just lucky genes). That is very interesting about the smell of grapefruit. I might check into that on my next trip to Macy's on Monday to pick up some good foundation. I've always worn light makeup, so I am with you on that. Nails are no problem - I had to keep them short and manicured for my program anyway, and that's how I usually keep them.

I am not an unusually quiet person, and I have not been a particularly insecure person up until recently, and that's only with regard to competing with the 20- and 30-somethings for jobs. I am not about to go into an interview and try to be somebody I'm not, though. Fortunately, I have only been in MT for 5 years or so and have other work experience under my belt and some new skills to boot as well. I am healthy and fit (endurance cycling and mountain biking are my hobbies), so I don't look particularly "frumpy." I am wondering if my friend is actually feeling insecure herself... Hmmm... Seeds of doubt indeed. I CAN DO THIS!
I agree with you about not trying to be somebody - you are not. (SM) - MTBankAccount
[ In Reply To ..]
Nobody's perfect, and we all have our quirks and differences. I guess lots of people would consider me a wee bit "eccentric". If that means I don't fit into some corporate cookie-cutter employee mold, then it's probably just as well that I don't get the job, as I likely wouldn't last very long there. I'd rather wait a little longer to find a good fit (someone who considers my tendency to march to the beat of my own drummer to be an asset, rather than a liability. Especially since I don't fit the stereotype of a "typical" 60-something woman!
Being someone you are not - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
"Glasses make you look professional, but not bifocals." Sorry folks, I need them in order to read. I would also suggest not going out and spending a lot of money on cosmetics, it is not necessary for one interview (my opinion: Forget the grapefruit fragrance, fruit flavors are worn by 20-somethings). And remember, the hair, makeup and clothing is something you will be expected to maintain long after you are hired, so if you are spending big bucks now and that is the image they want you to project, you need to ask for more money unless you want your paycheck to go on your back. I also march to the beat of my own drummer and have not had any trouble getting hired. Our bodies change as we age. I'm in my late 50s and have worked out all my life, but I gave up trying to look 30 years ago. If employers don't like that, it is their problem, not ours. It's great to put your best foot forward and look your best for an interview, but going too far in the other direction and becoming a "people pleaser," especially when you don't even know if you want the job (or will get it) usually ends badly.
Real grapefruit, from the grocery store - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It has to be real, not artificially scented. You can mix grapefruit peel oil in fresh apricot seed or grapeseed oil. It makes a great after-shower moisturizer.

Natural food stores often sell grapefruit essential oil, too.

One of the Dove Ultimate stick deodorants is scented with grapefruit and something else.

Smell seems to be the way people determine age. They are very accurate. Grapefruit may confuse them.
Real grapefruit - Got substance
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh my gosh, that is so interesting about smell and grapefruit. Real it is, then. Thank you.
Grapefruit idea - Got substance
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe I should tell my young friend that grapefruit scent will make her come across as mature and self-assured (she sometimes acts like a 16-year-old). Ha! Just kidding. I like my friend a lot and want the best for her.
Eau de Bubble Gum for her! - LOL. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Good advice - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
It was all excellent advice except for the part about the "business makeover" in the department store. The people at those cosmetics counters are in the business of selling product; you will probably walk away spending more money than you had planned with a lot of things that you really did not need. There is a huge mark up on department store cosmetics, and many times it is not better than what you find at Walgreen's or Target; the colors in a department store line are "not better" and it varies greatly from product line to product line. If you have ever applied makeup in your life and I am assuming that you have, you don't need professional guidance. It is possible to look good without spending a lot of money. Find a tutorial on line. You should know what colors suit you best by instinct and from past experience. I suggest this at least until you land the job and have a paycheck, then treat yourself! The advice about glasses was obviously given by someone who has never worn them out of necessity.
Umm, let's be clear about me - What I think
[ In Reply To ..]
1. The majority of women are unable to choose the correct shade of foundation because they can't see themselves at Walgreen's or Target. Store lighting is wrong.

The colors in department store lines ARE better than those at Target. Lancôme owns L'Oreal and the products are quite similar, but the colors ARE better in Lancôme foundation and blush. There are more colors and they are more natural. This has been known for years. Women choose foundation that is too pink and blush that is unnatural for them. Manufacturers produce drugstore lines that look good in the package so they sell. They produce their high-end lines so that they look good on women, even if they don't look good in the package.

2. You CAN get made over without spending a bundle. You are under no obligation to purchase. Here, you can take a sample home to try for a week. You can take that to Target and see if you can match it in a comparable line.

It is also somewhat of a myth that high-end makeup is that much more expensive. I can get a year out of one bottle of Lancôme foundation and a blush because less of it is required, compared to 3 months out of something from Walgreen's. It goes on better and doesn't stink, either.

3. If someone knows what is best from instinct and experience, they don't need any advice. However, I know loads of women who are still wearing what they wore in high school, including garish eye shadow, blush in all the wrong places, PINK foundation, and lipstick that is freakish. There is no easier way to date yourself than that. People know exactly how old you are! Styles and colors change in makeup, as well as in clothes.

4. I think it is very rude to make assumptions like "The advice about glasses was obviously given by someone who has never worn them out of necessity." I have, in fact, worn them out of necessity since 4th grade. I used to take them off for interviews. Now, however, at least one study has shown that glasses improve the impression others have of you. They think you're smarter and more competent, more professional, and more business-like, especially if you are female. They even recommended wearing plain-glass lenses even if you had perfect vision.

If you disagree, fine, present your alternate views in a polite way. Just don't come on here insulting others.
Really appreciate your posts (What I think) - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
While I always appreciate and admire those who can put together a professional appearance, I don't even know where to start when it comes to myself. I guess I've always cut corners (just an "OK" haircut, skimping on jewelry, avoiding eye makeup altogether because it itches, etc.) I'm printing out your posts so I can refer to them. Never too late to look your best!
Looking your best - another thought
[ In Reply To ..]
We all know that confidence in an interview is key, right?

Well, when you look good, and you know you look good, you feel a lot better about your self and that is a huge confidence booster that will for sure carry over into your interview.

Remember, don't cut corners when it comes to your confidence ; ]
Here is what I think - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't wear glasses with plain lenses because I have high myopia and high astigmatism. I need bifocals to read and if that offends people, too bad. If I go on an interview without my glasses I'll fall flat on my face (literally) and that will not make a good impression. I'm not trying to insult anyone. I just find it interesting that women who complain about not making enough money to buy groceries or pay their rent/house payment have money to plop down on department store cosmetics and new wardrobes. As far as department store versus Walgreen's/Target, I am speaking from personal experience. I cringe to think of all the money I've blow on the high end stuff when there are much better values to be had. Personally, I found the bifocals comment insulting, so practice what you preach.
OMG really? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
You do realize the poster was only giving advice on how to come across with the BEST IMPRESSION POSSIBLE. A lot of this advice can be found online anyway via a simple google search. Fact of the matter is people who wear lined bifocals look OLD. If you have to wear them FINE. However, there are other things you can do to mitigate that... like wearing good makeup and decent clothes.

She was not out to insult you directly or force you not to wear glasses ('cause she knows you wear them anyway! Whoa, MTstars now has skype? I missed that memo)!!

Get over yourself already.

Similar Messages:

Oh My Freakin' Goodnes... From A WHOLE FREAKIN' YEAR AGO.....
Jan 02, 2012

I will almost certainly get banned for "cutting-and-pasting" this...  but here goes anyway.... Oh my Gosh - I disagree in so many ways - see message Posted: Jan 30th, 2011 - 4:05 am In Reply to: We are a "dime a dozen" and it is our own fault - NocturnalHooter1. We didn't loose our profession when we decided to work from home. It was a choice we made. I am still an MT whether I work in an office or at my home office. Nothing has been lost. However, some of us became MTs so that we co ...

Freakin Comma
Apr 06, 2010

I have a dictator who is on 100% QA.  I just had a chart returned to me because even though my QC said it was correct use of the comma, the dictator did not want the comma in there.  Ok, so now I will give him NO commas anywhere unless he says "comma."  For the love of God, can we EVER have a standard and consistent way of doing things and not let doctor so-and-so from here get this and doctor so-and-so from here get that. I guess I am just so OVER i ...

So Freakin Bored!
May 19, 2011

Lately I am sooooo bored with work.  I do about 1/3 regular transcription and 2/3 ASR and I'm bored out of my mind.  Very seldom have to research much other than doctor's names or equipment names.  Same dictators saying the same things with the same irritating quirks.  ASR with the same stupid mistakes to change in virtually the same reports I did the day before. Is there some way to cope with the boredom?  Do I need a new account or something?  I'm ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

Dear Doctor, Clear You Freakin' Throat!
Mar 20, 2015

lozenge in your mouth before you start dictating or take Claritin to relieve your allergy symptoms. Sick of your voice going in and out from hoarseness and not being able to hear what you are saying.  For the love of God, physician heal thyself. ...