A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

freakin comma - mt

Posted: Apr 06, 2010

I have a dictator who is on 100% QA.  I just had a chart returned to me because even though my QC said it was correct use of the comma, the dictator did not want the comma in there.  Ok, so now I will give him NO commas anywhere unless he says "comma."  For the love of God, can we EVER have a standard and consistent way of doing things and not let doctor so-and-so from here get this and doctor so-and-so from here get that.

I guess I am just so OVER it, the entire industry I mean.  I have too much on my mind now (mom with cancer).  I should not be letting these little MQisms bother me.  I can only do what I can do.  I am about at my wit's end, yet I need to be strong for my mom. 

who was right? The doc or you? That's the question! - comma?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

well - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
it was two complete sentences separated by the word and...

You tell me.

if they were indeed 2 complete, independent sentences, then YES, A comma - yes, comma

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
exactly my point - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
it was correct use of the comma, yet apparently this American doctor does not want correct English grammar usage on his reports.

I'm not sure why, but they will bend over backwards for this guy. Whatever he wants even if it's wrong. Oh well! At least I only get him once a week or so.

I'm laughing about the comments below for he/she, lab values, etc. So true.

Here is my "comma" story . . . - Sunshine State MT

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, sorry to hear about your mom MT.

I was working in-house at a women's and children's hospital. I was still fairly new. Only about 2 years under my belt.

Our supervisor told us to "be careful" with Dr. X as he wants his reports exactly how he dictates them. So I transcribed his report with no blanks. Thought I did good.

When he got his copy of the report, he sent his receptionist to the transcription department with a totally torn up report, I mean he ripped it up in pieces and the receptionist gave the "pieces of the report" to my supervisor.

My supervisor put the pieces back to together and scotch taped the report to see what was what.

She pulled up the old voice file of his and re-listened to the report. Come to find out according to my supervisor Dr. X did not agree with me putting in a comma for two complete sentences separated by the word and . . .

My supervisor went up to his office with the report and said this comma belongs there. His reply was he didn't agree and "I want exactly what I dictated."

sunshine - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
Thx about my mom:)

At least your supervisor stood up for you. Ah...the good 'ole days.

What's funny is that the docs THINK they want verbatim, but if we truly gave them verbatim, wouldn't that be hilarious?

It certainly would be hilarious MT! - Sunshine State MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I have one specific doctor who goes between he and she in his reports. It drives me crazy. This account is "type as dictated." Yea, I don't think so. My initials are on those reports, you know what I mean?

Have a good one!
this is for sure a weird doc's attitude. Usually docs - commas?
[ In Reply To ..]
don't care at all where we put the commas since they themselves do not know right from wrong.
What a POMPOUS A$$ that doctor is!!! - nm - No3cpl4Me
[ In Reply To ..]
X

Would like to see a report dictated without us - correcting the grammar and

[ In Reply To ..]
punctuation! The lab results was . . . haven't seen many who pay attention to was/were, is/are, etc.

How about if we just put he and then she and - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
him and then her all through the report. I guess he wants it that way also? All the foreign doctors are clueless as to proper gender pronouns.

Had a doc once when I was still in-house - sick and tired

[ In Reply To ..]
who dictated every sentence as a "new paragraph." He called me once griping that he was trying to make the report "clear" by having all the paragraphs. I told him I was trying to keep a friggin' chest-x-ray on 1 page! Oh for those good 'ol days ~~

When I was a newbie, I had an ESL doc who always - said "coma" instead of "comma".

[ In Reply To ..]
He also said "pit" instead of "period", and "parra" instead of "paragraph". "Parenthesis" came out sounding like "pregnant". That sure made for some "interesting" reports!
I think he is dictating in ASR now - at least that is - what ASR is hearing!
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Was this a certain ENT doctor? If so, he puts commas where they don't belong. - mrs.krabs

[ In Reply To ..]
He thinks he is an English major. Good dictator but he doesn't know his grammar. Why does MQ bend over backwards for these guys? The whole ENT dept was on 100% if I remember correctly.

ENT - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
No, this guy is in another specialty and evidently does not like commas:) I have been typing him for awhile and never had an issue before now.

As far as I know, the rest of his hospital's work is in India. Guess the Indians can't possibly please him, so he remains here with me in the US. Lovely.

taking care of a parent - zoella

[ In Reply To ..]
There are so many MTs at MQ who have health problems (either pre-MQ or post-MQ, probably more pre-MQ)and/or taking care of someone sick. MQ doesn't have any sympathy when it comes to this. They want you at the keyboard and have no sympathy for anything of such a personal nature because they don't care about us. If you're lucky enough, you may have a supervisor who will work with you somewhat when you have to take off and/or flex time for appointments, etc.

You are under an extreme amount of stress and I wish you and especially your Mom my thoughts and prayers -- you both are going thru a very difficult time and work matters, such as what you just explained are just beyond words and that dictator should just get over himself. Try to take care of yourself, too.

zoella - thank you..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
for your kind words

Similar Messages:

Oh My Freakin' Goodnes... From A WHOLE FREAKIN' YEAR AGO.....
Jan 02, 2012

I will almost certainly get banned for "cutting-and-pasting" this...  but here goes anyway.... Oh my Gosh - I disagree in so many ways - see message Posted: Jan 30th, 2011 - 4:05 am In Reply to: We are a "dime a dozen" and it is our own fault - NocturnalHooter1. We didn't loose our profession when we decided to work from home. It was a choice we made. I am still an MT whether I work in an office or at my home office. Nothing has been lost. However, some of us became MTs so that we co ...

Freakin Me Out
Aug 03, 2013

All these stories about difficulty because of age are freakin me out. I am 55+ and thinking about moving from one hosp at home to inhouse at a better hosp. Both have full bennies, etc. I will be giving up a week of vacation each year (from 3 down to 2).  Am I wasting my time going for the interview? Will I walk in and see look of horror on the interviewer's face because I am not younger? Ego already fragile, rather not subject myself to that. TIA.   ...

So Freakin Bored!
May 19, 2011

Lately I am sooooo bored with work.  I do about 1/3 regular transcription and 2/3 ASR and I'm bored out of my mind.  Very seldom have to research much other than doctor's names or equipment names.  Same dictators saying the same things with the same irritating quirks.  ASR with the same stupid mistakes to change in virtually the same reports I did the day before. Is there some way to cope with the boredom?  Do I need a new account or something?  I'm ...

To Comma Or Not To Comma, That Is The Question
Dec 03, 2011

Hi, Does a comma belong in this sentence? "The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity, consistent with fatty infiltration." -OR- "The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity consistent with fatty infiltration." Thanks! ...

Paying Taxes, I'm Freakin Out
Feb 24, 2010

I am about to do my taxes for 2009.  I had a bunch of money saved up to pay them, but I fell on hard times (little to no typing jobs) and had to use that money to pay bills.  What is going to happen?  I made 11,000 last year.  How much can I expect to owe?  What if I don't have the money????? ...

Dear Doctor, Clear You Freakin' Throat!
Mar 20, 2015

lozenge in your mouth before you start dictating or take Claritin to relieve your allergy symptoms. Sick of your voice going in and out from hoarseness and not being able to hear what you are saying.  For the love of God, physician heal thyself. ...

Comma Or No Comma!
Oct 17, 2009

PROCEDURE Total Thyroidectomy, complications bibasilar discoid atelecatasis with probable pneumonitis. Is there a comma, other punctuation or no punctuation?? Any and all help appreciated   ...

Comma/and
Feb 25, 2010

I'm just a little confused as to how to use comma/and combination?  apples, rasperries, and pears OR apples, rasperries and pears Recently I was told that "and" is the comma.  I thought the AHDI standard was comma before and.  ...

Need Comma Help
Mar 06, 2010

Hi everyone, No I'm not post happy, but I do have a few questions that I feel need to be answered. I am having a hard time with commas. When I did a transcription test (none medical) for a transcription service, I got my test back and it was all marked up and they said it was mostly punctuation errors, like commas. Can anyone suggest how I can overcome my comma problem so I don't fail anymore transcription service tests? I was really embarrassed to get my test back because it wasn� ...

Comma Help!
Mar 20, 2010

Past medical history includes a transient ischemic attack treated since that time with aspirin. Comma after attack?? I'm thinking no comma..... ...

Comma?
Jul 13, 2010

"Each time the hernia would protrude he would have significant discomfort." Do I need a comma betweed protrude and he?   ...

Comma With NOS
Dec 07, 2011

Mood Disorder NOS or Mood Disorder, NOS   Thanks! ...

Comma Or No Comma
Jul 25, 2012

When the sentence begins with "From _____ standpoint" - Should there be a comma after "standpoint?" From a cardiology standpoint, he is clear for surgery. OR From a cardiology standpoint he is clear for surgery. Thank you.   ...

Comma Or No Comma?
Sep 12, 2012

On 07/25/2012 the patient underwent whatever. On 07/25/2012, the patient underwent whatever. One QA says comma, another QA says no comma.  Can anyone reference this for me? Thx!!!!   ...

Comma In As Well As
Mar 20, 2013

Please advise on commas in "as well as".  I think it should only be one prior to like; "She is on some probiotics, as well as some natural hormone substitutes." Thanks! ...

Comma Help Thank You
May 03, 2013

On 05/03/13, I asked a question about using commas. On 05/03/13 I asked a question about using commas. Which one is correct? Thanks. ...

Comma Or Not?
Mar 20, 2014

The patient is a whatever-year-old male who was seen today for whatever.  OR The patient is a whatever-year-old male, who was seen today for whatever. ...

Comma Troubles
Jan 28, 2010

Doctor diagnosed tachycardia, atherosclerotic heart disease, post angioplasty for coronary heart disease, history of alcohol abuse, and asthma.  I'm confused... should there be a comma between disease and post angioplasty? Plz help.    ...

Thanks For All The Comma/and Help Family
Feb 27, 2010

Now I have another one:  first or 1st? First metatarsal, or 1st metatarsal First rib, or 1st rib When should you use first and when should you use 1st?  Thanks family! ...

Comma Placement
Apr 12, 2011

I know a comma is to be placed after the year, i.e., On March 27, 2011, she underwent an operation.  But, what about when formatted this way?  3/27/2011?  Do you still place a comma after the year? TIA! ...

Comma After Since Phrase?
Nov 21, 2011

Since his last office visit, he has not had any..... OR Since his last office visit he has not had any.....    Comma or not after "since his last office visit" ?  Thanks! ...

Comma Quesiton
Apr 12, 2012

Hi, I am wondering if there is a comma after "overall" when it starts a sentence.  Any info would be appreciated.  ...

Comma Placement?
Apr 27, 2012

I get these types of sentences constantly and always question my comma placement. "We will see her back in the office following her injection and if she does not improve, we would consider surgical intervention at that time." My question is whether there should be a comma either before or after "and." I know a comma needs to separate 2 independent clauses but the introductory phrase in the second clause throws me off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) ...

More Comma Questions
Aug 10, 2012

She underwent a PET scan, which showed... or She underwent a PET scan which showed.... ...

Comma After Dates
Nov 20, 2012

I'm kind of confused about this.  Does a comma go after the date all the time?  For example:  LFTs from 10/23/2012, are within normal limits, or lab tests from 12/14/2011, are normal. I always put commas after the year when I worked at home. Now I work outside the home and I'm confused about it. Everything here is in a different format and I'm just not sure.  I found a post on here from August about it but still not sure what to do. TIA ...

Comma Question
Jul 10, 2014

The patient is a 30-year-old man who was diagnosed with whatever in 2014. OR The patient is a 30-year-old man, who was diagnosed with whatever in 2014. ...

Comma Nazis
Sep 08, 2014

Get over yourselves, girls!! ...

Comma After An Ordinal In Dates?
May 04, 2011

In my company we use ordinals in dates, example May 4th 2011. Would there be a comma after the 4th in the date like there is if it was May 4, 2011? I know that oridinals in dates is not encourage, but the client specs require us to put the dates as they dictate them. Recently my QA person marked me off for not putting a comma (I believe there should not be one) and I cannot verify this anywhere on the web. I'd appreciate it if someone can help clear this up for me and if possible provide th ...

Comma Before Status Post?
Aug 10, 2012

He has hydrocephalus, status post VP shunt.  Is it correct to put a comma before status post or best to leave it out?  As I work longer, I realize I need to brush up on my grammar.  Thanks for the help. ...

Capitalization - Would I Cap Plastic Surgery And Have A Comma? 
Mar 16, 2010

We will discuss with Dr. ___ (plastic surgery Mayo Clinic)  the doctor dictates the parenthesis.  Would I cap Plastic Surgery and have a comma?  We will discuss with Dr. ___ (Plastic Surgery, Mayo Clinic) ...