A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

SGS Surprise! - JRS

Posted: Jan 15, 2014

After over 2-1/2 years with SGS and being named employee of the month in September, SGS terminated me today.  When I asked why, I was told only "we are making some tough decisions".  What a disloyal unprofessional bunch.   

Well they have to list why on your separation notice - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"Tough decisions" isn't an option on the separation notice, so when you get it, take it to your local Department of Labor and you can probably get unemployment benefits.

Separation notice - Anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sure that SGS is an "at will" employer. Anyone can be let go at any time, for any reason and they do not have to tell the employees why. It is not a Department of Labor issue. Anyone who gets laid off is eligible for unemployment benefits. This does not sound like a firing, it sounds like a reduction in staffing.

Same thing happened to me - OtraVez

[ In Reply To ..]
Same thing happened here. I worked for them for about 4 years. I do know they lost contracts to several accounts. Disloyal, yes. I can only say business can be cut throat.

It's part of running a company well and the economic conditions. They can't keep you if t - legalEagleMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Most states are at-will employment, so they can let you go for no reason. Not having work is valid. Most of the time, unless you did something illegal or against contract, you will get unemployment when fired. Yours is actually more of a lay off.

We did get some sort of notice - OtraVez

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree Legal and actually do not have any ill will towards SGS. We did get some sort of e-mail about a month ago about "changes". So it was really no surprise. SGS was great company to work for and for whatever reasons they may have, so be it. Just a little BuMp in the road.

Running a company well? - JRS

[ In Reply To ..]
Running a company well does not mean squandering your trained resources. It also does not mean getting the reputation that is your just due by treating loyal and conscientious personnel as if they did not matter at all. That is nothing but lazy and greedy management. I am well rid of them.
But what if you were all exceptional employees... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
and if business had reduced drastically, they have to lay off... a "tough decision" indeed, but one that has to be made. It's not fair of you to think you were the only fabulous employee ;)

Just laid off - unemployed SGSer

[ In Reply To ..]
I just received a call from the CEO stating that they were "making tough decisions" and I was to finish what I was doing and then I was laid off. They immediately cut off my access to email, the SGS site with the timesheet and Spark.

Similar Messages:

30 Minutes Into My 8 Hour Shift And Surprise Surprise
Mar 22, 2015

NJA!  Yeah your TAT is looking great but your employee morale is even worse than it was. ...

Medquist Buy-out-what!!!!!! Surprise, Surprise!
Aug 24, 2011

So, has anybody been involved in a Medquist buyout, how did that work for you?  My company just announced we are now a part of MQ, but don't worry, everything will stay basically the same.  Somehow, I doubt it!  Did your job description change?  Any info on your experience would be appreciated.  If you want to stay confidential e-mail me if you want.  Thanks! ...

Oh, Surprise, Surprise Synernet!
Aug 20, 2014

Errors are up on all accounts (EVEN with people who NEVER make a lot of errors) and they just do not know why. They now have the lowest quality of their company's life. AND they don't know why this is happening. These people do not have a clue. They are so out of touch with their people; they are just astounded by it. Why then did it NOT surprise me at all? Of course their solution to it is:  Just stop doing that. ...

Surprise, Surprise..SoftScript At It Again!
Feb 23, 2015

SoftScript is looking for mentors/teachers trainers and Q coordinators again.  Don't fall for these positions, as this is how they lure you in to be an MT.  Please read recent posts regarding SoftScript (Soft Bait and Switch Script) on how their job listings are misleading. ...

SA5 NJA (no Surprise).............but
Jan 18, 2010

seems strange as we were actually backed up this weekend, no way we could have wiped all that out without some "help" if ya know what I mean.  Unfortunately, you prob do. For all those whose accounts go overseas....how did it happen?  Did you just try to sign in and got NJA and then never got work again from that account?  Or is it a slower process?  I was wondering when my turn was.......at least thanks to this board I'm prepared........ And thankfully I'm in CA. ...

Surprise! Out Ofwork With SoftScript Again!
Oct 14, 2009

This really sucks...End of pay period and out of work with SoftScript!  I have no choice but to look for something else while keeping them as something part-time or whenever, that is if I am even able to get 20 hours with them in a week! So frustrated because this isn't going to pay my bills! : *( ...

Just Scored A Surprise 84% On Final...:(
Apr 08, 2010

I just received a score on my Allied Med School Final exam of 84%, which really surprises me as I have been scoring upwards of 95 on the assignments and felt really good about these 5 transcriptions. From your experiences, what are my chances of ever being able to find a job with an 84 on my certificate? Trying to decide whether to try the second attempt or not - worried that my grade on it would be even lower... ...

Wow, So I Filed For Unemployment......what A Surprise....
Aug 23, 2013

Turns out my weekly benefit is MORE than I was making at MM before I got laid off, at least recently. I'm guessing it's because I made more before and slowly but surely my pay kept going down down down. Apparently the UI benefit is based on an average of what you made all year or something. All I know is that by getting laid off, I am actually going to make much more than I did as of late. Isn't that a hoot. Good riddance M-Modal! ...

Nice Surprise In Bank Acct This A.m.
Apr 27, 2013

Nice to see I got the quarterly bonus this morning when I checked my bank balance.  Definitely came at a good time.  Really didn't think I would qualify but glad I did.  Makes me actually want to work today!! ...