A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Returning to MT after 10 years away - Nancy

Posted: Aug 07, 2010

I was a medical transcriptionist for about five years in the late '90s.  Now that my kids are both going to be in school full-time, I'd like to go back to work.  I was able to get an old set of SUM tapes and a transcriber on ebay, so I'm going to be spending the next few months re-learning what I've lost over the years.  At the same time, I will be calling around town to see if I can find some work.  I used to do a lot of chiropractic, which was really easy, so I'm hoping I can find something.

I know a lot of work is done via voice files, and I was looking into getting a foot pedal for the computer, but from what I'm reading here it's more complicated than just getting a foot pedal.  You also need other programs to deal with the incoming files. So to do the voice files you need the foot pedal (and the software it comes with) and one other program?  Or is it more than that?  What is the most common foot pedal and software that people use?  I want to be familiar with the process, even if I end up having to buy something different once I get a client.  I know it's a lot of money to spend when I don't have any work yet, but I want to be as marketable as I can be.  

I'd also like to know what word processing program is most commonly used now.  My husband doesn't have anything installed because his office uses Google Docs for everything.  When I was working, WP vs. Word was a matter of preference.  Has one significantly overtaken the other now, or is it still more of a Coke vs. Pepsi thing?  

Thanks for any advice you can give me.  I really appreciate it.  

Nancy

Update a little more than your skills - MT 2 long

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you're REALLY behind the technology curve which is going to hurt you big time.

First, many offices are no longer farming out their transcription but are using some form of EMR (electronic medical record) either by virtue of templates, point-n-click, etc.
Much of the "easy" work has gone the way of voice recognition programs with minimal to moderate editing (depending on dictator, office, program, and editor).

(donning my best 80s voice) Word Perfect is like soooooo 1980! :) I did see an ad recently saying you had to be using it, but that's the first and only one I've seen in probably a decade. Most programs are Word-based (not that they USE Word but are based on Word).

Except for some dinosaurs, tapes are nearly obsolete with memory cards, FTP, ASP, upload/download, etc taking their place.

I honestly think the technology will challenge you more than any skills you may have lost.

And then there IS the reality that many accounts want you to edit, not transcribe for the most part. Speech rec "transcribes" the file and you verify it's accuracy.

Oh and finally? Pay is likely half of what you were making the last time you worked.

Pay per line is going down. Good news, however, - anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
is that by strong application of the technology you'll be able to produce a lot more lines, although you may still find you make less than before.

Can't advise on a good program since I work on a custom one for a big company, but good news there is that all the common ones use most of the old Word keystroke combinations, so you'll settle in to whatever you use pretty fast.

A good expander program designed for this work does absolutely need to be on your priority list. That's the tool that types "chronic obstructive pulmonary disease" for "copdd" and "the patient was told to follow up" when you type "tpwttfu," or whatever your versions end up being. You can see the long training curve here, but it's critical and sooo worth it. Most people keep a little window open that clues them on their abbreviations.

Good luck!

expanders - Viva

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you explain the expanders to me? I have a CD with a bunch of them on it but I don't understand how to make macros with them.
Do you just keep them open in a separate window? Are you using the autocorrect function?
An expander is just a program you download online or - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
from a disk that stays open in the background as you work. You can choose to have a little window open on your page that shows you your abbreviations for words as you type.

SH and InstantText, very good programs, will both record your keystrokes to create macros. For instance, if you need to create a header for "history of present illness," you'd turn the record function on, type it once (for the very last time!), and give it whatever name you chose, such as maybe [hpi, the [ chosen to indicate a header that is both bolded and capped.

MTs really need a sophisticated professional-level expander, Viva. Auto correct is a very simple one that works well for amateurs but lacks many important functions that help us whip through reports. I don't use it at all, but my stay-at-home-mommy daughter finds it very useful for internet chat phrases, friends' e-mail addresses, etc.

about expanders - vs autocorrect
[ In Reply To ..]
I use autocorrect and autotext functions exclusively, and I am no amateur. :)

I do lots of sophisticated stuff with these functions, including huge word strings, formatted text, etc.
More about professional expanders vs. AutoCorrect - Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I understand your fondness, and that of many others, for AutoCorrect after working with it for so long, and it does perform some functions pretty well for no additional cash outlay.

I just can't recommend it, though, to people over much better programs designed specifically for what we do. We need to produce lines not just faster, but as fast as we are capable of by using the best tools available.

Ultimately, this is about making maximal money by maximizing production, not about avoiding spending some initially.
more... - ...
[ In Reply To ..]
Autocorrect and autotext are powerful utilities, as are "professional" expanders.

If there was something that an expander could do that I can't do with autotext/autocorrect I would love to know! :)
Take a look at the new Instant Text 7 version just out to see how - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
a professional expander can do lots more than AC or AT. I found out about the new version on Productivity Talk and I upgraded right then and there.

Not surprised.. - Nancy

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, thank you for backing up my suspicions on that. I've been trying to tell my husband that it isn't what it used to be. He doesn't quite believe me though. Every doctor we go to uses an EMR. Which is actually painful to watch as an MT. It takes them forever doesn't it?

I'm hoping to just be able to find one or two old-school clients in town, or do overflow work. With the kids having some special needs (minor, but time-consuming), I'm not able to work full time anyway.

I have talked to an MT in my area who doesn't use subcontractors, but needs someone for vacations once a year. She offered to send that work my way. So I've got that.

I always enjoyed doing MT, so I'm really just throwing my hook in the water to see what I can come up with. It's worth a shot. :) It's better than working at an office.

I called one of my old clients hoping that they would need an MT. They were my old-school client at the time. Standard tapes and WordStar 4.0. They ended up going old-old-school and they have an MT who works at the office now. Sigh... :)

Nancy
Oops, forgot to say.. - Nancy
[ In Reply To ..]
I used an expander. LOVED it. Mine was called Flash Forward, which I don't think they make anymore. Expanders work as you type. So if you've got an expander of bp which turns into blood pressure, you just type bp and hit the space bar and keep going. I had them for everything from medical words, regular words, full paragraphs, etc. I especially loved using them for those accidental misspellings that spellcheck wouldn't catch. "Doe snot" anyone? (Does not.)
Old-old school - MT2long
[ In Reply To ..]
"They ended up going old-old-school and they have an MT who works at the office now."

That's actually the new new school :) Many offices are now bringing an "medical records" person on site.

There are a couple things - to get...

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm assuming you'll be working on your own accounts, not for a company? If working for a company, you may end up working on their platform and not need to set your own system up at all.

Otherwise, download Express Scribe to listen to digital files. It's free on the web. While you're on the Express Scribe site, you can order a foot pedal that works with it. Or get one on ebay.

Word is commonly used, a newer version would be best.

This is assuming whoever you're transcribing for puts their digital files on an FTP site for you to download and upload to.

As for pay, I'm getting 9 cpl working for a company doing straight transcription, 5.5 cpl for speech editing. An IC should get more than that.

Regarding your "there are a couple things..." posting - Lori

[ In Reply To ..]
An IC should be getting more than 9 cpl? Where? I've been an IC for 15 years and have had the luxury of having two GREAT accounts, a primary and secondary, that both have paid 14+ cpl and then lost one due to a merger. I've been trying to fill that void in my budget and am struggling finding anything over 9 cpl and that's only if I work full-time-plus for them and I'm trying to find a secondary account of maybe 2000-4000 lines per week. It's just hard to drop from 14 cpl to 8 cpl which is what I'm mostly finding. If you know of companies paying more would you mind e-mailing me at lorimedtrans@centurylink.net, please? Thanks!

I remember the 80s, and I disagree with some of the others - RAH

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, the technology is not the hard part of transcription. So no worries there. Second of all, if you did it then, you can do it now. Lastly, I don't know about the money but the cost can be far less to operate than then. Check these out, combine them with bringing yourself back up to speed, and you'll be ready to go. MPWord, the owner is VannJoe, hes a great guy and you'll love him, you can try out his product for free and then decide it you like it and want it. Unlimited Dictation.com, this is a telephone based dictation platform for all of your files and reports. Same thing here, you can try it out for free and decide if you want to pay for it later!

Most important, the only failure here would be you not trying and getting back where you want to be with your life and career. Good luck, break a leg and all that!!

returning - jane

[ In Reply To ..]
there are probably a thousand new drugs released since then, you will need to learn those also. lots of luck to you in finding a job. having almost got replaced by a voice recognition system a few years back, don't think transcription as it has been is going to continue being a viable job ... maybe i am wrong. for your sake and others who are looking for work, i hope so.

Similar Messages:

Thinking Of Returning To MQ After A Few Years....
Oct 13, 2009

Moderator- PLEASE dont delete! An MTSO that had always had a great rep.  The changes have just been coming hand over fist of late, and I am wondering if the higher pay at MQ may be worth the switch back to be able to have my normals and DQS.  Im frustrated and watching my paycheck dwindle at this MTSO even though they have been good to me otherwise.  I quit MQ with the cesspool and horrible QASAR and inconsistent QA.  Any comments or MQ updates? Returners: Are you glad you ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

Returning To MT?
Jul 06, 2011

I was a medical transcriptionist from 1999-2006, and 2007-2008.  I worked in a regional health center; did all sorts of reports. And then suffered major burnout. I'm working retail and not really getting by at all.  So, I'm considering the once-unthinkable: Returning to MT. My problem is that I'm not up-to-date on things - the latest procedures, drugs, instruments, anything. I have no idea if my typing skills are up to snuff. I do know I want to do at-home work again as ...

Returning Equipment To MQ
Apr 29, 2010

Recently resigned from MQ and received the mailing labels to ship back their computer and monitor.  However, per the letter, they don't require that you return the mouse, keyboard, and any other peripherals.  It doesn't say you will be charged for them -- it just says they want the computer and monitor. Has anyone left MQ and kept the keyboard and mouse?     ...

Returning Equipment
Dec 17, 2013

I quit working for MM in September and haven't heard word about returning their stuff. Can't get any phone numbers and can't get in touch with my old CCM. Any ideas what I should do? ...

Returning To MT Work.
Mar 13, 2015

Morning everyone (or afternoon, depending on time zone).  I'm returning to MT home work after a 2-year absence for family health issues. Have there been any mind-bending changes in the 2 years that I have been gone??  Is VR still 4 cpl?  Have dangerous abbrevs changed? Is the basic 9 cpl still in effect?  Also, what is the download for MT testing (something like express scribe -- I can't remember).  Anyway thanks for taking time to read this.     ...

RETURNING JOBS
Mar 30, 2015

Can your TSM tell if you return a job to the server? ...

Former Teacher Returning To MT Field
Jul 05, 2011

Greetings from the great state of Oklahoma!  I have returned to the MT field after many years as a teacher, and have recently re-taken my MT certification (I have a prior 2-year degree in the field from 1994.) I am currently searching for a position either from home or on-site.  Any advice? Thank you, Mary     ...

Question About Returning Equipment For Those
Dec 06, 2012

Just wondering if anyone else out there has left Nuance and been able to return company equipment? How long did it take for you to get the slip to return it? Did you get your deposit back after you sent your equipment? ...

Looking For Suggestions, Returning To MT After 6 Months Off
Feb 21, 2013

Last summer, after being laid off from my hospital MT job due to cost cutting in our department, I went back to work in the office, working as a receptionist for a family practice.  I was also transcribing the office notes and correspondence as well.  At Christmas, we were told that the doctor had decided to sell his practice to the local hospital.  We were promised raises and I particularly, because of my 20 years as an MT, was promised a position doing MT for the hospital.  ...

Returning Equipment To Nuance
Jun 27, 2013

Can someone who works for or has worked for Nuance tell me what address to return my equipment to?  I just ended my employment with them and have a foot pedal that I need to return to them but I cannot get anyone to answer my emails asking what address to send it to.  Help!!! ...

Returning Company Computer
Sep 04, 2013

Has anybody involved in the terminations from last month received pickup labels or boxes to return company computer yet? ...

Returning To Work Outside The Home?
Dec 25, 2013

Help.  I need advice.  I just got a new job and no one will talk to me.  I have been there 7 days.  The first week was fine, but now I feel like I am getting the cold shoulder.  The guy who is supposed to train me acts like I should already know what I am doing.  I do image scanning now and have a year's expereince, but all scanner systems are different.  I feel like I am catching on pretty well, but he is giving me no feedback, good or bad.  I have been very friendly and asking peo ...

Returning Computer To Imedx.
Feb 15, 2015

When I worked for Transtech, they provided my computer, and when Imedx tookover, I got email that they were transferring ownership to the employees. They didn't say why, but I figured it's probably for taxes, not sure though. Anyhow, if giving notice to Imedx, do they request computers be returned, no matter if it was from TT or not? ...

WMX - Returning Equipment In Original Boxes
Mar 01, 2011

When I started with WMX the instructions were to keep original boxes for return of equipment if you wanted your deposit back.  It's been 3 years, I am not planning on going anywhere and getting tired of those boxes taking up space in my laundry room.  Anyone have experience with sending them back in non-original boxes and still getting deposit back? ...

When Returning Equipment, Will MQ Want The Monitor Back
Dec 31, 2011

as well?  Last time I quit they only wanted the tower back.  Preparing to leave very, very soon but haven't given notice yet so thought I would ask you guys. ...

Returning Equipment - What Number To Call At MModal
Aug 04, 2013

Anyone know what number to call at MModal or where to email to tell them to send boxes for their equipment?  I told my CCM, but have not received anything and I threw everything else away that vaguely reminded me of MModal! ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

Seeking Suggestions/advice For Returning To Transcription Field
Nov 09, 2010

I have been out of transcription for almost 2 years.  Long story, but a combination of health problems coinciding with job loss due to cutbacks.  Anyway, I worked for 3 years transcribing for local multi-specialty clinics.  I realize now that was probably a mistake since everyone is hiring for acute care (which I have done but that was 10 years ago).  I have recently seen some companies that are hiring for clinic transcription, but I need to "refresh" my knowledge and skills ...

I Am Now Getting My 9th CCM In 7.5 Years. I Have Had
Dec 04, 2009

horrible ESL accounts, horrible teaching facilities with residents who don't know how to dictate.  By the time you get used to them, they're gone.  I have been insulted by taking an enormous pay cut for the over rated, under performing ASR.  Through all of this, I have mostly been happy with my job.  Now, however, I will finally say that I hate MQ.  I hope they lose all their accounts to nice mom and pop people.  I hope they go bankrupt and have to move in ...

A FIRST For Me After Many Years Here At MQ
Mar 13, 2010

A 12-second dictation interrupted secondary to ....   orgasm Did they ever show this on ER? ...

My CPL 26 Years Ago
Jan 13, 2011

Twenty-six years ago I had a part-time job on the side working for a local service in CA, and I was paid 6.5 cpl as an IC way back then.   It's shocking to me that all these years later, the rate is still so low. ...

18 Years
Dec 12, 2011

So, got my congratulatory e-mail from medquist today for working here for 18 years as of this month  How ironic . . . I got that e-mail on the same day that I got the call from the Department of Welfare telling me that due to my low income (despite working full time) my kids are eligible for medical benefits from welfare!  I even replied to my "congratulatory" MQ e-mail stating so!  I know some of you will retort with "why stay?" but I have a disabled husband to take care of, ...

Its Taken Almost 2 Years
Sep 05, 2012

I wanted to take a moment to tell you all how grateful I was to find this board over a year ago.  I was sitting there not understanding why I couldn't make any money, why I felt like a piece of crap about my abilities.  Having this board, people who understand and validate my feelings made a huge huge difference for me.   My last day is tomorrow.  I got a medical records job.  I'll  work days, I'll have Friday and Saturday nights off again, ...

Pay Changes Over Years
Jan 12, 2013

Is anybody out there making very good money with speech recognition?  It seems anybody I talk to indicates they are making a lot less with speech than straight typing.  Course the MTSOs want you to believe you can do the speech in half the time of straight.  ...

I Have Been Doing This For 15 Years And Just Can't (sm)
Jul 02, 2013

believe the crap that this company dishes out to us.  I know 150 lines is achievable because that was the minimum at my last company (bought back, not here by choice!).  My former company, however, did not have a time clock, which took the pressure off if I had a string of difficult reports or extensive referencing because I could work a bit longer to make up the lines if I had to.  I am PT with no benefits, no sick days, no holidays, work Saturdays, and only a few PTO days a ...

After 36 Years -
Nov 16, 2013

Working for Nuance has been horrible since the onset a year ago with immediate pay cut.  Since then it's been one thing and another to make an MT feel imprisoned working for this company.  With their 99% accuracy criteria OR ELSE - very few of us stand a chance of maintaining our jobs.  My job was threatened for not meeting consistent FIESA scores of 99%. COME ON -  we're making half what we used to and now some QA "specialists" come along and arbitrarily "grade our ...

25 Years
Feb 06, 2014

doing this job and NOW I cant pass an audit..Lets see Mmodal, had you not made it next to impossible to make a living wage, I could slow down and re-read every word..And you make up THE most stupid crap so that I HAVE to fail...So question is if I get fired for not passing an audit (because I am not changing a freaking thing I do) can I collect U/E? ...

Out Of A Job After 20 Years
Dec 18, 2014

After 20 years, I was put out of business by Nuance taking over the last hopsital I was working for and earning a decent living.  I eventually started working for Nuance in August of this year.  I had such a hard time turning in 1100 lines in 8 hours, significantly down from my average of 250 per hour, and not to mention getting stuck with two hopsitals in Maryland that were very, very difficult with the majority being ESLs.  Sadly, i was let go on December 5th because I could not ...