A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Resumes - experience - fudgingthetruth

Posted: Feb 11, 2012

Just wondering if anyone exaggerates their experience on their resume or put specialties that maybe you don't know as well as you say you do. It's a cut-throat market out there and with the difficulty getting a job, just curious if you are tempted to fudge the truth on resumes?

Resumes - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
No, I don't lie on my resume and only state the experience I have. I've been in MT for quite a few years and have done a lot, but certainly not everything. I only state what I've done, and maybe even miss some things. Not in my character to do something like that when it comes to my employment.

justme - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
If I were still in business, I would hire you in a heartbeat. I like your ethics!

Well... - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You can sabotage yourself by lying. They are going to probably send you a test based on your experience. If you lie about your experience, but still pass their test, it's going to be pretty obvious down the line where you don't have experience.

I chose to go the whole nine yards way back when (all specialities, including all in acute are), but I don't have pathology and radiology experience and I don't put that on there even if they're looking for pathology or radiology experience. I may miss out on a job if that's what they're looking for, but so be it.

Old MT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Another ethical person! There is hope for the profession. Good for you. You sound like the sort of person I would love to hire.

fudgingthetruth - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no excuse for lying, which is a more honest name for "fudging the truth." I would never lie on a resume. The moral reasons notwithstanding, one can be fired for misrepresenting abilities and credentials.

Nope, never - bp

[ In Reply To ..]
I want a good relationship with my employer and if I start that relationship with lies then it is doomed from the beginning.

My apologies, that was for the OP, replied to wrong person. - bp

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I lie like a rug. - Briana

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, so if you say: "I have nearly 30 years experience", they say to themselves "What an old chick!" and toss your resume.

If you say, "I've transcribed, supervised, managed, provided tech support and created training programs", they say to themselves "Can't hold a job!" and toss your resume.

If you say "I have a degree", they say "Uppity broad!" and toss your resume.

BUT: If you say "I sorta think I no wutt I are doon wun it kums to transcribering", they hire you, thinking "We can get this sad sack for 2 cents a line!"

Hell yes, I lie. I leave out every positive attribute I possess and act like I just fell off the turnip truck.

Now, that's a winner.

that's disgusting - why lie

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course, after reading your posts, I don't think I'm surprised that you would lie.

To the OP- I think lying on your resume speaks to your values as an employee. I would totally advise against it.

I have been in the position of hiring MTs before and I can tell you those that lie - well it becomes really obvious they lied and they were not working for us long.

BTW- I've done this for 35+ years, have hired, trained, set up training programs, created QA departments, and worked on development of some of the very famous software now being used, oh and I have two degrees. And I want you to know that no matter what job I apply to, I get a response and usually an offer. If you have good skills, don't think that someone will NOT hire you because of that, it's simply a false thought process that some MTs love perpetuating to support their own inability to stay relevant.

I do believe Briana was joking and I found it amusing. - Some of us need to lighten up. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

it was "tongue-in-cheek" to my eye - : )

[ In Reply To ..]
the reason I asked - fudgingthetruth
[ In Reply To ..]
I am the OP and the reason I asked is because I am in charge of hiring and I have gotten a resume from the same person (on different job postings) and the person sending it "conveniently" has the exact experience I am looking for. I was just curious if this was a trend I should take note of.
On the other hand... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps this person actually "conveniently" does have the experience you are looking for and might have "tweaked" her resume to reflect such, since it appears that is what you're looking for in the first place. Maybe there is no "trend" at all, just an honest MT looking for work.

Well, there's a thought. Of course, I could be wrong.
Agree. I very rarely send in the exact resume to 2 different companies. - HIMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a basic resume saved on my computer that I use with all my experience listed, but when I see an ad for a job I am interested in, I will tweak it to make the more pertinent information stand out. I never lie on my resume, just may rearrange the way the information is presented so the person hiring can quickly see I have the experience desired for the position. So far this has worked for me as I usually always get a quick response to my resume.
Well, here's an idea or two.... - Briana
[ In Reply To ..]
This is right in my wheelhouse, having some considerable experience in hiring:

1. Why don't you pick up the phone and check her references?

2. Why don't you identify some things that a person who has done (whatever it is) should know and should have experienced, and build some questions into your interview that would reveal whether or not she's done them?

For instance, if I were interviewing someone who has been a team lead, I would ask a lot of questions like this:

* Tell me about a time when you had to discipline someone on your team.

* Give me three specific examples of methods you have used to motivate your team.

* If you were interviewing me for your team, what are some of the questions you would ask me?

...etc.

Oh dear. Sarcasm/satire is lost in a typed environment - Oh well

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought it was funny.

I do the opposite - leave the earlier years out, as I'm - finding they only want 2-5 years experience -

[ In Reply To ..]
No more, no less.

Just enough experience to be able to do the work, but not so much as to realize they're being bamboozled when it comes to payment for said work.

Then, of course, there's that age-discrimination thing. MTSO's swear they're not doing it, but surprise! They ARE.

Similar Messages:

IC And Resumes
May 05, 2012

I am sure this has been brought up before but I found nothing recently in archives. If you are considered an IC (a true IC) and you are asked to submit a resume when trying to get a position - do you list the companies you transcribed for on your resume or do you set it up as if you were self employed? I guess what I am asking is since being an IC means you technically did not work for that company (you worked for yourself) do you still list the companies you were transcribing for? ...

Resumes
Oct 08, 2014

Just curious.  With over 9000 resumes posted, has anyone gotten a response because their resume is in the bank?  It seems unlikely that once you're name is off the main page, someone looking to fill a position will not look much further than that.    ...

To Those Who Have Sent Out Resumes
Dec 13, 2014

Looking for a consensus of opinion here... When sending off your resume, do you include your home address, or will just your name, phone number and email suffice? I have the same question regarding the cover letter. Do you include your home address, or will just your name, phone number and email suffice? I feel kind of nervous about sending ALL that information, but I really don't know the standard anymore. It's been a looooong time since I've had a resume. TYIA. ...

Jobs/resumes
Sep 16, 2010

Just wondering how many MTs have posted on the job seeker's board and heard back from any of the companies you have applied for?  I have 25+ years experience so I'm hoping that is not the problem.  I have sent numerous resumes, but have yet to hear back from any of them.  ...

I Have Sent Out About 5 Resumes In The Last 2 Weeks - Sm
Oct 10, 2010

I have heard not one word.  No calls, no e-mails, nothing.  I am a CMT with over 25 years of experience, experience in every specialty, huge hospitals, etc.  Am I too experienced and do they think I would want too much money?  Why wouldn't they at least ask?  I used to get a phone call immediately upon sending a resume.  Nowadays, nothing.  I'm amazed that these companies are not looking for good help.  ...

To BusyMT Below - Re Resumes - Sm
Feb 01, 2011

I heartily disagree with what you wrote.  I used to receive responses to my resume immediately if not sooner upon applying.  No more.  I often applied, like you, just to see what responses I'd get.  Never, before or now, would anyone negotiate.  It was what it was and if you dared to ask if they had a higher rate, they acted offended.  My resume is impeccable, straightforward, easy to read, 1 page, pertinent information right there for all to see.  I have ...

Response To Resumes
Feb 04, 2011

Yeah for sure.  what goes does it do to send resumes to these jobs posted here, when you get NO response...  I realize they have more resumes than they can probably go through, but when they look at the top of your resume (where it should be) and see you have had over 25 years experience - you think they'd contact you first, yeah whatever.  Not sure, but know MT jobs are scarce!! ...

How Many Resumes Have You Sent This Week?
May 19, 2011

I have sent out 9 resumes this week and have not heard back from one of them yet.  I sent 5 last week and have not heard from them either.  I need to be working.  I cannot sit in front of my email waiting day in and day out for someone to send me a test, tell me they filled the position, or that they want to hire me.  Why can't the MT companies just send us an email telling us one way or the other that they want us or don't want us.  Its really frustrating.&nbs ...

Posting Resumes
Nov 11, 2011

Has anyone ever received any response to your resume posted online.  Not sure if I should do this or no so just wondering.  Thanks ...

Resumes, Job Requirements, Etc
Feb 21, 2012

From a Forbes magazine article:   The only three true job interview questions are: 1.  Can you do the job? 2.  Will you love the job? 3.  Can we tolerate working with you? That’s it.  Those three.  Think back, every question you’ve ever posed to others or had asked of you in a job interview is a subset of a deeper in-depth follow-up to one of these 3 key questions.  Each question potentially may be asked using different words, but every ...

Submitting Resumes
Jun 17, 2015

Is there more to finding a job these days than just submitting a resume amongst hundreds and HOPING for a reply?  I feel like it is getting harder and harder to get a job.  Getting discouraged!  Anyone else feel the same?  Ideas?   ...

Re: No Response To Job Applications, Resumes Sent:
Feb 24, 2010

I've sent out a few resumes over the past year in hopes of landing a different MT job than the one I have now.  Only ONE place (a hospital I would dearly love to work for!) even acknowledged my application.  The others?  NOTHING.  Even though they continued to run ads for the same job I had applied for.  I never even got to test for any of them. So.... fast forward a few months (or years).  Suppose one of these no-response companies kept my resume and out ...

Resumes From An MTSO Perspective?
Sep 02, 2011

I know MTSOs are inundated with resumes, so what catches your eye and what turns you off?  Do you really want to know all the places I have worked?  Or would you rather have a brief resume stating only my years of experience, field of experience, etc.?  What I am best at, etc.  Would appreciate a recruiter's input.  ...

Two Questions Re Precyse And Resumes / Sm
Jun 04, 2012

Any current info or opinions about Precyse from anyone who works for them now or has recently - how is pay,QA, platform, flexibility, work available, etc?  I've read the archives but looking for recent info.  What attracted me to them is that they provide equipment which would be a plus for me, but are there negatives that would outweigh this? Also, has anyone ever had any luck sending out resumes cold - not in response to job posting, just sending to a company?  There ...

Experiences Posting Resumes Here?
Feb 04, 2013

I'm job hunting.  I have 13 years of experience with acute care.  Has anyone had good results posting their resume here?  I don't really want to waste my time with companies that pay .05 cpl and hire anybody with fingers. ...

Are 2 Page Resumes Acceptable?
Dec 16, 2014

x ...

I Have Sent My Resumes To 10 Different Companies And Hear Back Nothing, Nada . . . . .
Apr 13, 2010

I have been doing MT for almost 15 years, and the one company I have been with for the past 9 years is suddenly getting less and less work.  I have been sending out resumes, taking the tests, etc., and I don't hear ONE THING BACK from any of them  . . . . so frustrating.  We are in the process of buying a new house and then this happens - I may have to take a job outside of home, but I wan't to be here for my kids:( ...

2 More Ads At Other Job Site With Resumes Going To Yahoo Email Addys.
May 24, 2014

ridiculous pay rate of $1.30 per line. Just beware that is you respond to these ads, there is a good chance they are a scam. Check MTStars archives for postings on these scam ads. ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

In Your Experience
Nov 10, 2009

I have seen that some MTs work two or three companies at a time and during the same hours.  Can you tell me if this was working with the same platform and same computer?  ...

Do You Think MT Experience Will Help In Getting An MR Job?
Feb 11, 2010

There is a hospital in my area that has 2 jobs I am interested in, one is a records analyst and the other is a records clerk.  I am definitely ready to start working outside of the home, but I fear my MT experience will not help me much in getting one of these jobs.  I am just wondering what you all think or if I should bother to apply.  I am thinking they are going to want people with hospital experience.  Thanks a bunch for any information!! ...

MD-IT..any Experience?
Apr 12, 2010

Hi.  I was recently hired as an employee with MD-IT.  I filled out all my paperwork, did my computer audit, background check, etc. and was supposed to call at 9:00 a.m. this morning to begin downloading their transcription platform.  Well, I called and got voicemail.  I left a message and have not heard back.  To me, if you have an appointment scheduled, you should be available for that appointment.  I'm sure they would expect nothing less from me.  I real ...

Experience.
Jun 08, 2010

I have been noticing that the experience level required to even get looked at for an MT job has went up. The 2 year experience mark has now went to 3 in most postings, and alot more postings are stating they want a minimum of 5 years. It is an up hill battle in an already hard market but with these kind of requirements I supose the seasoned MT's can rest a little easier and the newbies I guess can look for another line of work. I have already switched my gears and will finish my MA deg ...

Too MUCH Experience?
Jul 23, 2010

I am trying to figure why I never get a call-back on job applications anymore.  For instance I applied at one company who was advertising a week or so ago, I'm sure I did perfectly or almost so on the test, never heard from them, and yet now they are advertising again.   My range is not great, mostly ER and clinic, so maybe this is the issue but I have applied for these positions recently to no avail. I have 16 years experience and I wonder if they think I will want too much ...

How To Get Experience W/o Job & Job W/o Experience?
Sep 18, 2010

it's the old question - how to get acute care experience that everyone wants - when none of the local hospitals are hiring for MT (I've checked).  I could try "cold calling" doctor's offices and see who does their transcription (unless they have some kind of digital chart system - fill in the appropriate boxes on their laptops - I think our family doc uses that system). I actually had "formal" hospital acute care training 11 years ago - so seems like a lifetime ago.  Th ...

Can Anyone Please Tell Me Their Experience With...sm
Nov 22, 2010

eTransPlus?  I am considering sending my resume but can't afford to waste time with yet another joke.    Thanks much! ...

TTD QA Experience Anyone?
Mar 04, 2011

Anyone with any experience with TTD (The Transcription Doctors) in QA-just wondering how QA by the line works, also curious about how this company operates, or anything else that anyone wants to enlighten me on.  Archive information is old  and not that great at times, and would like some up to date information-good or bad.  You may email me if you would like.  Thank you fellow worker bees! ...

My Experience With TTS
May 26, 2011

I just wanted to let anyone who may be interested know what my experience with TTS has been recently.  A job for a Delta Team member was advertised, for which I applied with my resume and cover letter.  It's worth noting here that I meet every qualification in the ad.  The job sounded like it was difficult, but I applied as I wanted a salaried position.  I received an e-mail from *******, the same one who was sent packing from another MTSO last year.  The e-mail gave all sorts of inf ...

No Experience No Job - No Job No Experience
Jul 30, 2011

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the situation of not having enough experience to get a job but not being able to get the experience if you don't get a job.  I have skiills and talent out the wazoo - I've passed numerous transcription tests - and I nearly always get a quick response to my application and resume submission.  HOWEVER, because i've never worked in a hospital and my 10 years of experience was more than three years ago - AND because I that experience w ...

TTS - Your Experience?
Sep 27, 2011

Do they really pay only 7 cents a line??  Unbelievable.  Do they base it on your experience?  Thanks for any feedback. ...