A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Really short reports - worth my time? - sm

Posted: Dec 14, 2012

I'm an IC and don't make a great line rate (9 cents/line) but I'm fast and my doctors are easy so it works out to a fairly good rate/hour.  My question is I've recently been given a new account with a doc who does reports that are on average only 20 seconds long.  I have to cross-reference the day sheets to find the spelling of the patients' names, as well as look up the referring doctors' addresses, etc.  I can't stand doing these reports as you spend more time looking things up than actually transcribing the report so the $/hour is terrible.  So, my question is, would you go ahead and do them and just suck it up because the other docs are pretty good and keep the MTSO happy or would you say you won't do this doc because it's just not worth your time?

FYI, I work for a very small service and have regular accounts but it is very PT, like $125/week, and unpredictable as to when/if I get work.  I have another non-MT job that I recently got because I just got tired of relying on MT exclusively (I had another FT MT job prior that just became too unpredictable with losing accounts to underbidding).  So, part of me thinks for only $125 or so a week, it's not worth jumping through hoops for them.  They are not the nicest people to work for but leave me be for the most part.

Thanks!

IMHO you are doing this for the patient, more than MTSO - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If this is your job, you do all the work. If it is not cost effective for you, deal with your employer on that aspect, but don't hurt the patient by not doing their reports.

I agree - Anon Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
From reading what you have said, I think that's a pretty bad attitude. We all do things in the course of our work day that we prefer not to do, but telling your employer that something is "not worth your time" is generally going to get a person fired. You stated yourself that this is not your primary source of income, so the choice is yours. Continue to keep those who pay your wage happy (what a concept!) or step aside. If you start refusing to do what they ask of you, chances are they'll find someone else anyway. This is not about you, it's about providing patient documentation which does affect patient care. I bet if you had an on site MT job, you'd be a cherry picker, just saying.

Nice assumption but - OP sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been a FT MT for 15 years and did all the work I was given, all the horrible ESLs, the mumblers, and yes, all the ridiculously short reports as well. I certainly kept my MTSOs happy as I was with only 2 different ones in my 15 years and only finally left when I said enough. I positioned myself so that I am not reliant on MT work anymore. Yes, I need the money but I will certainly survive without it if need be. I feel it is important to value your time and take a stand. I certainly understand not being able to though. I have only been able to do this recently as my kids are now old enough that I can leave them home for a while on their own during holidays, etc., so believe me I understand why some MTs can't take such stands but finally I can.
Also, I'm an IC not an employee. sm - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
Many try to make it the same thing, but it's not. I don't get a cent of benefits or my taxes taken care of etc, yet I make the same line rate as employees. I'm an hourly employee elsewhere (non-MT) and sure I do stuff there that's just 'part of the job', but that's not the same at all as getting paid by production. A few short reports in a day, by all means I'll do them, no questions asked, but an entire account of them for pennies - no thanks.

Thanks for your response - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I see your point but the patients will get their reports just fine; clearly there are plenty of MTs willing to do it and that is their choice, just like this is mine. Conversely, the doctor can pay what he should pay for the extra work and I would be happy to do it. Any other industry expects to pay contractors for the work that is done or the hours it took to do it. Again, I am an IC, not an employee.

"don't hurt the patient by not doing their reports." - ARE YOU SERIOUS?

[ In Reply To ..]
How is SHE hurting the patients by not doing their reports?? If she does not do them, someone else will.

She is paid on production and she is spending more time doing CLERICAL work than she is producing; hence, not making any money and doing UNPAID WORK.

If she can request to not do this doctor than I say by all means, dont do him. It would be different if she was getting paid by the hour, but on production based jobs you need to be producing, NOT spending 5 to 10 minutes looking up information for a 20 second report that you can basically insert a macro or standard in and move on to the next.

She is losing money. This has NOTHING to do with hurting the patient.

I say not worth your time. I have asked, and been, taken off accts - that I could not make money on. MTSO is SM

[ In Reply To ..]
in it for the money, facility is just worried about the bottom line, why should I look at this any different than they do? And the work will be done by someone. But I am not in this for the sake of humanity with a heart only to help others. At this point, with OS and wage cuts, I am in it for the bottom line also. If I cant make money, why do it?

I agree with above... - If we are paid on production,

[ In Reply To ..]
why should we be doing other clerical work for free? The production system has become a scam that employers use to get around paying a secretary or other hourly worker.

You answered your own question - Anon Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you can't make money, why do it? You seem to have no qualms about giving the crap work to your coworkers who are also trying to make a living. As previously stated, it is not all about you and what you consider yourself too good to do.

It is about me supporting my family. Maybe if we all refused to - do the crap work, we would see change. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
rock and a hard place - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The work has to be done, but you can't make money doing it and neither can anyone else, because of the way it's set up. Do you have to do all of it? Could you tell them you are just going to do part of it and someone else needs to take part of it?
If you cant make money on an acct, ask to be taken off - completely. If nobody wants SM
[ In Reply To ..]
to do it, and TL or owner of MTSO has to do it, too bad so sad for them. If we dont do the crap work, they will have to change SOMETHING to get the work done.
yes, we should all be able to only do easy work - only work types we like
[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder how that will go over with my boss... I dont make any money bouncing around from account to account. I want to only be on this account with these dictators, no short reports, I want a lot of standards, EASY, EASY work at top pay! No exceptions.
but this job has "unpaid work" - and a lot of it apparently
[ In Reply To ..]
Looking up patient names and doctors addresses for 20 second reports. I can never understand why they can't hire a clerk to do that stuff.
To the OP - You have a VALID basis and here's why... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
in the 'old' days before these greedy MTSOs changed the industry, we were absolutely compensated for this. My previous company of 20+ years (boss retired because of having to compete with underbidding) did it this way:

1. We were paid a minimum of 10 lines for reports.
2. We utilized a platform where demographics were imported.
3. We were paid for headers and footers.

Before the offshoring MTSOs, owners knew exactly how short dictation affected our pay and compensated for it. That was how good business was done. I have to believe that those responding with "deal with it" and don't "hurt the patient" (what?) can't be experienced MTs who have been in this business for a long time. Only an uninformed MT or MTSO would would respond in such a way and think that someone doing long reports with lots of repetition and someone doing short reports with lots of unpaid demographics should be happy being compensated the same way. I guarantee that they have probably only known the business for the past 10 years, and so sadly think this is "normal".
So what? Those days are gone never to return. But stand up for - want you want/deserve. Nobody else will. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
sm - OP
[ In Reply To ..]
When did I say I'll only do easy work? And my pay is certainly not 'top'! Wow, a lot of assumptions being made there. This is about unpaid work as the other poster said. I do plenty of 'hard' work and my line count is not good considering I'm an IC, but I do have good docs for the most part and specific accounts. I personally wouldn't stay in a company if I didn't "make any money bouncing around from account to account". Sorry you have to.

Not worth your time. (sm) - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I was stuck on an account like that where half the work was unpaid and averaged less than minimum hourly wage. It was horrible. Not only that but horrid sound quality and whispering dictators that could not be heard and a nasty lead. I got fired for having too many IT tickets for problems with their platform and things could not have worked out better because of it. I got hired by another company with a great account, long reports, excellent sound & software without bugs which more than doubled what I was making at the other group, plus the people are super to work for. Difference between the two well known companies is like night and day!

Short Reports - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, what are your options if you say you won't do him? I've been doing this 30+ years, I can't remember a time I said I would not do a doc. Of course there were many, many docs that sucked, but you do them anyway the best you can. This is your job, whether they are 20 seconds long or 1-1/2 hours long. If you don't want to do "someone" because it is "not worth your time," they WILL find someone who will. Why did you even have to ask this question? Of course your an IC, so I guess you can pick and choose, but the above still applies.

what a baby - none of us make any money

[ In Reply To ..]
good grief

Kudos to any willing to take steps they are not one of - those not making money. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
If I want off the acct, I will, and have, asked and have been given another acct. It is not like those reports will NEVER be done if I dont do them. They will be given to another MT, probably one that has no idea how she is paid, what she is paid for, and who just meekly does the work without standing up for herself and what she deserves.

If the short reports are all that is provided the MT, Would you work for $2. an hour??? - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]

Thanks everyone. - OP sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate all the responses, even those that disagree with me. ;)

I'm sorry to those who can't take such a stand and feel the need to take everything they get. Believe me, I've definitely been there. Now I'm fortunate enough that I can decide what is 'worth my time'. Particularly as an IC where the pay is already cut (no higher than employee) with no benefits, I think it's important to stand up for yourself or you'll get walked all over. I had a case earlier this year where the doctor wanted a lot of editing (of her own choice, not due to mistakes) to all her very long reports that were already transcribed, but this was to be paid for only when it was first transcribed! I said no to that as well. That would have been hours of work for free! It's ridiculous the things we are being asked to do as if we have no value and should just be happy to get work at all. All other industries pay for what they get, either by the work that is done or the hours that get put in. MT should be no different. However, as it doesn't seem to work that way, I don't rely on it any longer and it is extra
$ for me. Important and needed, but not so much that I'll do anything for it.

Again, thanks everyone. This little dialogue certainly did clarify how I feel about the issue! :)

Similar Messages:

Prefer Short Reports Or Long Reports? Sm
Jun 13, 2012

Hi all. I was just wondering what other MTs prefer...little short reports or very long reports? Do too many of either affect your line count (and therefore your pay)?   I definitely prefer very long reports!  ...

Long Reports Or Short Reports?
Jul 15, 2013

Am i the only one that just hates the long ones? And by long I mean anything over like 4 minutes.  I love progress and ER notes!  ...

Short Reports
May 03, 2012

What are considered "short reports" according to line counts?  It seems to me I have been typing a lot of them lately.  Today,  I have edited around 20 reports with only 1 being over 30 lines.  This is typical on my account, but I am new so not sure if that has something to do with it or not.  I have a pretty high requirement to hit, but with at this rate, it is pretty slow going. Is this pretty common? Thanks. ...

I Hate Really Short Reports..
Aug 07, 2012

Most of the time if a report is a minute or 2 long, that's no big deal. But I just had a report that was all of 20 seconds. I spent more time in the ADT screen (verifing and adding in things the clinet wants) than I did proofing it (ASR report like always), and it ended up being a measly 2 lines. Wow, I just made a whole 8 cents. That will almost get me a package of Ramen noodles. Thanks for letting me vent. ...

Tips On Short Reports
Jan 13, 2015

I got switched to a new POD and went from accounts with long reports to one with really short ones, like at least half of them are less than a minute. Between downloading and uploading and time spent in ADT, I'm struggling with my line count and I'm wondering if anyone has good tips for how to approach these short reports in order to maximize line count.    Please only respond with real tips if you actually happen to know any from experience (sorry, find a different job doe ...

HEADS UP! DQS Down For A Short Time Tonight!
Jun 01, 2011

Just got the e-mail that DQS is going down at 9:00 p.m. EST tonight for about 20 minutes. Don't lose your work!! ...

On-time Transcription--is It Worth It?
Apr 29, 2010

I got an email from On-time transcription for an IC position, but I first have to do a lot of steps just to be considered and just before I test, which is so darn time consuming and odd.  First, I have to read their website, download their software, read QA instructions and booklet, etc and then when I verify that I did all that, email them for the test---Geez, have anyone worked for them.  Is going through all this worth it? ...

I'm Currently Doing Nearly Real-time Reports And Not A Single Dictator...
Jun 28, 2012

is able to finish a complete sentence without losing their thought or incessantly repeating themselves because they keep losing their place.  It's getting annoying.  I've done about a 1/2 dozen reports so far and NOT ONE has been just a normal dictation.  I'm wondering if all these doctors are unable to focus on the task at hand because of what is going on in Washington right now or if it's just a fluke.  I mean, I have never encountered anything like this ...

I've Been Keeping Track Of The Time It Takes To Do ASR Reports.
Jan 04, 2013

Rarely are they taking 1/2 the time of straight typing. The majority are taking at least as long as it would to straight type and some more time. This is all due to the number of corrections and punctation and formatting I have to do! ...

I Try To Stay Positive, But Every Time I Get One Of These Awful VR Reports Sm
Jun 08, 2014

I hate Synernet more and more. I know that I have to accept VR, but WHY do I have to be forced to use such a cruddy bunch of software. It doesn't learn anything. I have had to practically re-type the whole report and then get the "honor" of only being paid 4 cpl for it. If the higher ups were forced to endure this, I would bet some changes would be made fast, quick, and in a hurry. ...

First Time Right Sucks When There Are No Reports To Look Up On "NEW" Accounts
Oct 05, 2010

:( ...

Short Pay
Mar 01, 2013

Looks like I will have made approx $250 after working for two weeks.  A total of 48 hours in 2 weeks if I can get in an 8 hour day tomorrow.  Brother.  ...

Vetac....can't Think Of What It Is Short For??
Nov 23, 2009

cardiology ...

Short Fingers With Lab. :)
Oct 18, 2010

Whenever I type lab, I slow down. My fingers are short and I have trouble reaching the number characters on the keyboard. I want to type lab fast too. Are there tricks that I can do to boost my typing when doing lab values? TIA :) ...

Short Cut For Hypotension
Nov 04, 2011

For the life of me, I cannot figure out an easy shortcut for the word hypotension.  I have tried a few things but they conflict with my other shortcuts i.e. hypothyroidism.  Brain dead today.  Can you suggest something?  TIA ...

Short Cut For -year-old
Jun 11, 2012

How can I get a short cut created for -year-old.  I used to know how to do this but have forgotten.  Tyvm. ...

Short On Hours
Sep 03, 2013

When you are a little short on hours, why do they tell you to add some and what do you put for a reason? ...

Short Rant
Jan 01, 2014

I would love to have just 1 stinking report that I didn't have to renumber every list in that report.  Of course it has to be done manually which just slows me down!  Mission accomplished.  Short but sweet, I'm done.  Happy New Year all.  At least we know we have one constant in our lives other than having to pay taxes and die.  ...

Last MDI Paycheck Is 1 Week Short?
Feb 02, 2010

or did I figure wrong?  Is Transcend holding a week back?  I am glad I saw this because I would have been unpleasantly surprised come pay day on 2/12. ...

Pay For VR Editing ... DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT
Apr 10, 2010

I haven't visited MT Stars in quite a while, but I noticed tonight some postings asking whether $10 or $11 per hour for editing VR transcription is reasonable. NO!  IT IS NOT REASONABLE!  Any seasoned, experienced medical transcriptionist who lowers themselves to edit for half of what they should be making as MTs is insane.  We are destroying our own profession by not standing up for ourselves, our expertise, our experience, our professionalism.  Not me.  I'll ...

Short-straw Syndrome?
Jul 26, 2010

... ...

Short Cut For ADT In Typing Screen
Sep 07, 2010

What is the short cut to bring the ADT info into the typign screen.  I seem to have deleted it somehow and forget the short cut to get it back again or the function to use. ...

Is There A Short Cut To Remove All @ Signs At Once?
Oct 26, 2010

. ...

Moving Short Forms
Apr 21, 2011

On DQS does anyone know how to move the short forms to another company that also uses DQS.  Can you send me the information if you have it. ...

Do Not Sell Yourselves Short!! There Is A World Without VR.
Nov 29, 2012

So many of us have been "gobbled" up by Nuance in the last few years. So many of us are transcriptionists with specialized, honed skills, and those skills are valuable. Do not be deceived by a company who devalues your worth and causes self-doubt and continues to tout itself as the leader in the industry. I believe there are many facilities, doctors, clinics, etc, who do not want their work run through a computer to be deciphered. It may be time-consuming and seem like a fruitful task, but if yo ...

Short Term Disability
Feb 25, 2013

My wife just went on short-term disability and so far has received a check for 3 days that is peanuts. I'm getting zero help from benefits/PR on this and Hartford is really pathetic. I know you get 50 percent, but 50 percent of what? She's a Level III MT. I calculated last years gross wage, divided it by 50%, divided by 26 so that should be the STD but I'm not sure what Hartford considers a base wage? Our attorney is curious too. Any one experience STD through Hartford/MMod ...

Free Short Cut Programs
Feb 28, 2013

My shorthand stopped working, I tried to rename my file like changing a letter like the instructions said, but nothing works. I now need something very quickly to help me out with work today. Is there anything that is easy and quick and simple that you all know works well with windows? ...

Short Cut For -year Old In Word
Sep 27, 2013

Hi there, Can anyone please tell me the short cut so I can just creat an autotext for -year old patient. I am working in Word and every time I try to do this with the hyphen, a space is left between the age of the patient and the hyphen ie: 27 -year old, instead of 27-year old. I have forgotten the trick to do this. Thanks, kdm ...

Well... 33 Lines Short This Week.
Dec 30, 2013

:-) Was solicited ASR Proficiency training/mentoring if I had not already had it. Loudly and clearly, I let my TSM know that I had had it, and the mentor was not able to help me as she could see that I was not problem. I let her know full well that my LPH depends almost entirely on the ASR. ...

Short- Term Disability
Feb 08, 2014

Unfortunately, this week I sustained a tib-fib fracture and will need surgery. Has anyone had to deal with Cigna and short-term disability? Just want to know what I can expect. Thanks ...