A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question about QA feedback - L

Posted: Sep 17, 2010

I just started working 3 days ago and have been doing very well with QA (100%) until yesterday. It seems now I am getting more scores in the high 90s, but I really feel that some of them are error of the QA.

I got dinged for this:

Blood sugars were in the 150-250 range. Most of them, though, were around 200.

QA took out the commas around "though." Would you do that??? I figure "though" is nonessential and is extra info, hence the comma.

Please let me know your thoughts. I have been noticing things like this on my feedback and am getting worried that I'm going to look like I'm doing a terrible job.

Commas - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct, the commas are needed in your example. QA was wrong to take them out. They make mistakes, too, but that one is kind of glaring.

Hey, could this all be part of that MTSO conspiracy that - all are posting about? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

So what? Who cares? nm - Joy B, TV star, sometimes MT.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I would have typed it like you did - zappy

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like some (notice I did not say all) of the QA at my company.

I once left a blank because in the medication list the doctor dictated:

"Coumadin 30 mg daily."

Now, I know full well that was an error on the doctor's part. That dosage is incorrect any way you slice it. Since I was unsure what dosage he meant to say, I left a blank.

QA took out the blank and put 30 back in.

Go figure. At least I know that *I* caught the error and in the job history, anyone who cared would be able to see that the QA person changed it back.

Try not to worry too much. You said you have been working for only 3 days? Your company is well aware that you are new and there is a learning curve for you.

There is always a learning curve, even for those of us who have been doing this for years. When you start at a new company, you have to learn the platform, the dictators, etc. If it continues and you still feel that you are being "nitpicked" or that the corrections they are making are incorrect, bring it to the attention of your supervisor or the QA supervisor. Like any job, there are people who do it well and people who perhaps shouldn't be filling that role.

Do remember, though, that there are some very good QA people and that they sometimes will leave you feedback that can prove very helpful.

Best of luck!!

:) - L

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you! It's nice to know others would have written it that way. The few dings I have gotten have been for things like that. It's a little discouraging.

Wow... - L

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, my boss told me she agreed that commas should NOT be around the word. I don't know what to think now.
Crazy. - zappy
[ In Reply To ..]
The way that you had it typed originally is the correct way.

Is your boss an MT? You would be surprised at how many supervisors in this field have never typed a single report before.

If she is an MT, then I'm not sure of her logic here.

Try to keep your chin up :) and don't let it stress you too much.
Yes. She has been an MT for about 30 years. - L
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I would not have put the commas but I think it works either way - Not worth mentioning
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I have learned to just do it like they say....... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked for companies where QA change things that I know FULL WELL are right and even look them up to be sure. It's not a client preference, but just how they do it. BUT, if you want to work there and you like the job, then just do it how they say do it. If you question everything and then go to your boss questioning as well, then you probably won't have a job long, because they are not going to want to have to deal with you.

I'm not being mean or anything, just stating my experience. If you wanted to drop QA a note and just say you wanted to clarify that no comma would have been needed there, that would be fine, but going and questioning the boss about it.........probable not gonna turn out too well for ya in the long run. Good luck:)
There's a huge difference between - "preferred" and wrong
[ In Reply To ..]
In the example that the OP gave, the change made by QA was just plain wrong. When I have something changed by QA and it is wrong, I tell them. They are not perfect, and every QA person I have worked with has acknowledged their errors when they have made them. A preferred version of two different correct ways of punctuating or whatever is a different matter. I will use whichever one they prefer. But when they are wrong, they should be told.
Not unless you were hired to supervise QA - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
just do it like they do - 1mt
[ In Reply To ..]
The problem with just doing it the way they want it, is you won't know what they're going to say is correct or incorrect if they're not following punctuation guidelines/rules. I too would have typed it the way the OP did and that would have come natural to type it that way. I wonder if they gave any explanation as to why the commas should NOT be there. Probably not.
She told me... - L
[ In Reply To ..]
She said...

No, that does not have commas around as that is just part of the actual sentence, not separating anything.
It is not part of the sentence at all, since leaving - yes
[ In Reply To ..]
the "though" out does not change the meaning. The 2 commas are correct.
Commas - jeannieb
[ In Reply To ..]
I have learned that the MT community leaves out a lot of punctuation that should be kept. You might ask what reference your company uses for punctuation. That would help you.
I would have done it with commas. same with 'however' instead of 'though.' - NM just sayin
[ In Reply To ..]

QA ''feedback'' - vtmtfor40

[ In Reply To ..]
Yours is a prime example of an out-of-control QA who is ripping off her company by wasting time nit-picking over petty trivialities. While there are certainly some hard-and-fast rules of punctuation that must be followed, many principles are ever-changing and a matter of style, interpretation, and preference. In your example, whether or not commas were included, in NO way changes or obscures the meaning of the sentence. Companies should closely monitor their QA staff to ensure they are not throwing good wages away on neurotic QAs like this one who waste time (and money) on petty nit-picking, splitting hairs, and ''playing school-marm'' instead of giving valid feedback. QAs like the one in your example not only harm their company's reputation, they also inhibit the productivity of their co-workers (which also hurts their company).

Thanks....more... - L

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe it was one of the 2 people running the company who did the QA, because one of my bosses agreed that there should be no commas. Not much I can say to argue with that. I don't want to lose my job, but I do still feel like I am right. I guess now I am forced to leave out commas like that...and am lacking the confidence I had when I started. :(

Yup, you won't be the first to adjust punctuation around - an incompetent/troublemaker reviewer.

[ In Reply To ..]
Been there. Fortunately, you have a correct, or correct enough, version to divert to.

so well said. you must know my QA who never - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
does QA - she just happens (every time) to get an addendum to one of mine and just happened to notice......

WTF - she's QA, it's her job.

WRONG & PETTY--too much time on that QA's hands - (rolling eyes)

[ In Reply To ..]
That is a sad shame that such incompetence is in a critical position of authority, not to mention WRONG!Marked with a ding against your QA score for an INCORRECT CORRECTION is a NEON SIGN of an improperly run, MICROMANAGED QA department and OR this QA has entirely TOO MUCH time to pick their nose and or filet a report for such nonsense. I wish you luck, however this is a sign for you to stock up on Advil and or to have something on the back burner, as this will be the first in the neverending cycle of low-budget soap opera episodes which you will find yourself repeating on cue.

I abhor the comma nazis! Here is what I would do... - LoriMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I would keep all my feedback and anything I disagree with, I would research and have documentation to back me up. Then if it becomes an issue with this particular QA person, I would take my documentation and go above her head. Years ago when I first started out, I was always nervous about going above someone's head because QA can make your life miserable and I wanted to get along. Now, after over 20 years in this biz, I could care less who I tick off.

In the past, whenever I've newly started with a new company and I am on 100% QA at the beginning, I do a few reports, get an idea of QA's grading style, alter the way I do thinks to how they like and follow the BOS to a T. When I'm off 100% QA, I do it the right way. :)

I'm in QA now and I can tell you I NEVER ping anyone for commas unless it is truly a blatant error. In my opinion, if everything is spelled correctly, sentences are grammatically correct, and nothing essential that was dictated is ommitted, you pass. I also don't believe in the whole "strictly vertebatim" idea. It's our job to correct the dictator when he is obviously wrong. Coumadin 30 mg is obviously wrong! The blank should have been left by the QA for clarification.

commas - yes

[ In Reply To ..]
L is right and QA is wrong.

"Though" in this case has to be put between 2 commas, like we always put "however" between 2 commas:

The father, however, did not come.

Etc.....

I would do it without as I think it would work either - sm - NCCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
way, but I used to get pinged for too many commas, so now I only use them when the doctor tells me to (other than where I know I have to have them of course). I have one doctor who will have a cow if you put in any extraneous commas, if he don't say it, you do not put it. So I err on the minimalist side now and had not had any issues since.

Commas do have a function, though. - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
If that works for you and keeps your client happy, that's great. But commas do have a purpose, and misuse of them can cause really serious errors. They should only ever go where they have to go, as you say. But I NEVER put them where the doctor says to put them just because they say to put them there, because at least half the time it's wrong (just as I never trust the doctor's spelling when he's "helping" me, as they are notoriously bad spellers). I feel that is our job to know how to properly use spelling, punctuation, and grammar. But of course, if you work privately for a doctor and can keep him happy with the occasional misuse of a comma he dictates (and if it doesn't distort the meaning), so be it. I just can't do that on my large hospital account where they expect things to be done correctly across the board.

He who pays the salary, makes the rules. - End of story. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

So, should she go over QA's head as they do not - pay salary

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Dont go over any heads, no need. Just do it as per - dr or facility. Not too complicated. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
For QA counting off for commas before/after though?? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yes, maybe facility has asked for a paucity of commas. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

If my companys QA had that sentence, they would - do it both ways! (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
If I put commas around "though", like you did, they ding me and take them out.

BUT! If the next time that question comes up, if I leave the commas out, they put them in, and of course, DING ME.

We're dinged if we do, and dinged if we don't.

But if they're wrong - - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
Why should you be dinged for doing something the right way? Don't you stand up for yourself when you know you're right? Just because they're QA doesn't mean they're perfect. When I get a comment from QA about something and they're wrong, I tell them about it. If I'm wrong, I learn something and don't make the same mistake again. But I don't sit back and let them try to tell me something's right when I know it's wrong!

Doesnt seem to matter to MTSO if QA is wrong, as - long as it can be blamed on the MT.

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to stand up to them. Unfortunately, our QA's are anonymous, so we have to go through our QA manager. She in turn insists they are right, even if they aren't, and then puts the thumbscrews to whoever complained by sending them the worst dictators and personally editing the h__ out of it. Or, she gives us NJA for a week or two.

I don't even care anymore. They're going to fire ALL of us, sooner or later. I wish they'd just hurry up and do it, so I can collect UE and have more time to spend job-hunting.

Similar Messages:

MD-IT Feedback
Nov 02, 2009

Has anyone ever worked for this company and what are your opinions?  Thanks in advance for feedback.  ...

QA Feedback?
Nov 02, 2009

I got feedback on a report today, CRITICAL FEEDBACK.  The doctor dictating was absolutely horrible, worse than horrible. I could not understand him, tried my hardest and before I uploaded it sent a note to QA asking for a sample of his work, explained that I could NOT UNDERSTAND HIM.  In reviewing the revisions, I don't agree with many of them.  I still don't hear what the QA inserted.  I dont' agree with it and I'm angry that it was returned to me with C ...

Does Anyone Have Any Feedback On DSG?
Nov 03, 2009

I would appreciate any input at all from MTs or QAs before I go through the testing process.  Thank you. ...

Feedback
Jan 26, 2011

I'm so happy!  I got my audit, passed with flying colors and got an email from sup saying good work and keep it up!  He also suggested that I submit for a raise since I've been consistent.  I said I didn't know that we could, but apparently we can if we maintain that 98% average consistently for a certain amount of time.  I'm submitting my request as it has been over a year that I have maintained this.  Wow! learn something new every day with the Q!& ...

EMR Feedback
Sep 13, 2011

Hello, I am a service owner slowly losing my accounts to EMR.  I am interested in partnering with an EMR company who uses a transcription service, but can't seem to get my foot in the door.  Can anyone here tell me if they work for a service that has partnered with an EMR provider?  If so, the name of the EMR software firm?   Thanks and good luck!   Louise ...

TTS LLC FEEDBACK
Feb 06, 2012

Could anyone please give me some feedback on TTS LLC - in New Hampshire.   Just need any kind of feedback - before I start working there.  ...

Feedback TTD
May 31, 2012

Anybody know how long it takes to get feedback and released from QA with TTD?  Please do not respond if you only wish to be hateful.  I am interested in people who are working for them right now and are happy...Yes, there are people like that out there.  Thanks- ...

Looking For Feedback; TTS
Oct 03, 2012

Any admin team people out there that work for TTS?  Looking for feedback; the good, the bad, and the ugly! ...

Feedback On TTS
Oct 11, 2012

Anyone know anything about the company TTS? Good or bad feedback welcome! ...

MME Feedback
Jan 04, 2013

I started with MModal a month or so ago and I am noticing that MME feedback is not consistent.  One will cross out dictation in the document that another will leave (like service or surgeon or primary doc). Also,  "myself/himself/herself" should not be changed?   I have to admit that one was a shock.  It is just soooooo wrong.  ...

TTS MTs Only, Need Feedback...sm
Feb 04, 2013

If you are working on the account from the tiniest state in New England, how do you like it?  Dictators, work types, etc.  I have been offered it as my secondary.  It seems to have a ton of account specifics, but that's not always the best indication.  Please let me know what you think.  All others, please bypass this post if your comments don't pertain to my question.  Thanks.    ...

RE: QA Feedback
Sep 09, 2014

Cannot get QA feedback to show entire report.  I can only see blocks that are blank.  Anyone else having issues.  I swear it's always something with this company. ...

Can I Get Some Feedback On Transolutions?
Nov 05, 2009

Does anyone work for Transolutions or have any feedback to offer?  Thanks ahead of time. ...

K&R Anybody Working For Them Please Feedback
Nov 15, 2009

i know they use pscribe.  seem like very nice ladies.  how is pscribe, work flow, steady work?  looking for way more than 1000 lines per day.  thanks for sharing your experience if you work for them. ...

Should I Give Up 1 Job? Need Feedback. Sm
Dec 13, 2009

I work part time for 2 companies.  One company usually has plenty of work.  I love the work and the people and they are very flexible.  I can usually get full time lines.  The other company usually has no work and I really despise the work and the QA.  I'm tired of the constant frantic emails stating how there is so much work only to go on and find there are less then 10 jobs.  This company now wants us to be employees.  I don't want to be t ...

M-Modal Feedback
Dec 16, 2009

Would appreciate feedback from anyone using M-Modal, especially Webmedx Enterprise MTs. Dreading the conversion and wondering if my fears are well founded. I'm pretty fast straight typing but rarely get more than 50 lines more an hour with current VR. Seems all it takes is just one lousy report to negate the lines made on the decent reports. Afraid it's just going to be worse with M-Modal and the whole drop-down heading thing. Anyone have any encouragement to offer? ...

HELP Need Feedback From MMEs
Jan 21, 2010

I would like to know how much of your day is spent full listening to either ILP or MTs placed on 100%.  If it is 75% or more how do you survive? Do you have any tips on how to get through them faster? I must be doing something wrong.  Thanks. ...

Question! How Many MTs Are Getting QA/MME Feedback?
Feb 13, 2010

I seem to be getting checked by MME/QA every fourth day for the last week.  What does that mean?  Will it always be like?  I thought it would be once a month. ...

Feedback About InScribe Out Of KY
Jun 30, 2010

Does anyone have any feedback about InScribe out of KY, either good or bad?  I've heard both.... Thanks in advance!! =) ...

Critical Feedback
Mar 31, 2010

I have very rarely ever gotten critical feedback and today I have gotten like 7-8 reports returned to me.   I find it so hard to believe that I am all of a sudden I am getting all this critical feedback.  :( ...

DSG...feedback, Experience?
Apr 03, 2010

couldnt find anything on this company, either active or in the archives, any comments from current/former employees on the usual questions, steady work flow, sound quality, QA feedback, etc??? ...

THANKS For All The Feedback On Transcend
Apr 08, 2010

NM ...

Does Anyone Know If There Is Someone To Give Feedback On FTR
Apr 13, 2010

I would like to give my feedback, a lot of hype for a BIG let down.  Swapboard a BUST.  OLD report lookup, andother BUST.  They need a HUGE anonymous suggestion box. ...

Looking For Some Feedback On QA Rates
Apr 20, 2010

I am an IC in northeast Ohio. Anyone know what the going rate is for QA editors in this part of the country?  Does the price vary from state to state that much?  I am in the midst of negotiating my MT contract with a client and want to document the cost of a QA Editor (which I provide myself for free, now).  Thanks for your help! ...

Feedback, Audits, Etc
May 28, 2010

With all the recent ridiculous corrections everyone's been getting, it might be a good idea to keep a record of the name of MME/QA who reviewed the reports.  If an MME/QA is consistently abusing you/us, at least you will know who to complain about to your CCM about.  ...

More Feedback On Encompass?
Jun 02, 2010

Any more feedback about Encompass?  I am considering it and would like to hear from anyone else who has been there more than 3 or 4 months.  ...

Feedback About Chartnet?
Aug 11, 2010

Can someone give me some feedback about chartnet?  Pros, cons, etc?  Thanks! ...

Helpful QA Feedback
Sep 14, 2010

Have a hospital where you are to phonetically spell name if not given (it wasn't except to call him "Steven")  QA so kindly sent me QA feedback and the only thing on there was that apparently Steven was actually spelled "Stephun."  Is that ACTUALLY going to be of any help in the future?  QA wonders why we have an attitude?  DON'T WASTE ANY MORE OF MY TIME THAN IS ALREADY BEING WASTED.  ...

Is Anyone Else Getting Unsolicited QS Feedback?
Oct 19, 2010

This just started happening to me yesterday. Have sent nothing to QA, but 2 reports are showing up in feedback status when I went into DQM to check client profile. Does this mean I'm on 100% review? Can they do that without notification? This non-communication to us from management is driving me crazy!!! ...

Uscribe - Any Feedback?
May 04, 2011

I checked out the board and would like to hear from someone who works for Uscribe.    Are you IC and do they let you work more than your schedule?  Havey you been paid on time?  Thanks for any input. ...