A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

One thing I can say is there are always jobs - The board is full of work. - NCMT

Posted: Sep 04, 2010

I love it.  Even Radiology pops up every couple of days or so, which is what I do.  If you want to work, there is work.  Unfortunately you have to watch out for the scams - but basically there's work if you can do it.  I think we should thank MT Stars for bringing us this medium to look for jobs, and vent.  Thank you MT Stars. 

Theres work alright, but work that actually pays - the bills, there is very little of.

[ In Reply To ..]
7 cpl was decent pay back in 1976, but it just doesn't cut it in 2010.

Well, I was hired 2 weeks ago at just over 9 cpl so - it does happen. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Awesome - Way To Go!!! - NCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Good for you.

Im already making 9cpl. Barely enough to live on. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Good start. Can you now work on building speed? NM - No Answer Needed
[ In Reply To ..]
x
and get tendinitis! - Great idea!
[ In Reply To ..]
I love how people tell you to "just go faster." LOL. Why don't I just pound my head on the kitchen counter when I want to eat, maybe that'll work!
Sounds like a new diet! - LOL
[ In Reply To ..]
gotta laugh sometimes!
Can I have fries with my tendinitis? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
No, Sweetie, set goal of doubling production with - same # of keystrokes,
[ In Reply To ..]
and then work toward it until you're there. Advise wasting no time or energy pounding head on counter. Your choice, of course, but just don't see the point.
And focus, focus, focus. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
yes yes the many "techniques" - to improve production
[ In Reply To ..]
Thereby increasing pay. How about this one...a raise! LOL. What a concept!
delusional - you are new! raise,,,hahahaha,,,I dare ya! - no message
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Raise won't help enough if speed is 1990s crawl. - You will still go broke. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I've spent more than a decade working, working at getting faster, giving myself pay increases for most of those years. I'm still working hard at it because line rates have fallen, and now I'm hustling to keep up and maybe still inch ahead a bit.

Nice incomes on production work don't drop from the sky. You have to train yourself to be fast.
and your hands don't hurt? - been there, done that.
[ In Reply To ..]
I was one of the highest producers, trying to make up for the constant pay cuts. Up to 2500 lines per day, just to make what I was making in previous years. I ended up in physical therapy, with swollen hands and wrists, pain, tingling, numbness and inability to type or do anything else for awhile. Not worth it to me anymore.
Sorry. It does sound like you had a VERY good income - EARNINGS DATA posted here
[ In Reply To ..]
before. I entered the field as the gravy days were shutting down, never pulled in a lavish income, and have only been paid for production. The very high hourly pay salaries offered to lure employees away from others back when good MTs in an area could be very hard to come by simply cannot be matched today. That's not to say decent incomes appropriate to this clerical specialty cannot be earned, and I do.

At my company about 2200 transcribed lines produced consistently (the best people match or top that #, a more lot don't) earns an extra 2 cents for every line over one's base rate.

2200 lines divided by 8 = 275 LPH.
At only 8 cents base (I make more), that's 10 cents a line x 275 = $27.5 per hour.
$27.5 per hour x 2000 hours/year = $55,000.
Of course, people who actually produce at these levels almost certainly are paid a higher base rate.

A lot more employees find maybe 240-250 LPH sustainable, for one-and-a-half cents more per hour above base rate.
Assuming the same lowish base rate, that's
9.5 x 240 = $22.80/hour x 2000 hours/year = $45,600
9.5 x 250 = $23.75/hour x 2000 hours/year = $47,500.

Some find a niche at maybe only 225 LPH for an additional cent per line, etc. for the match. People who are fully skilled should all be able to produce at that level, barring ones with disabilities. Newbies should work toward it.

These yearly incomes do require that skill and fannies squarely in the chair for a full-time work week, but a lot of people do produce those lines per hour and can earn that general range of yearly income--if they choose. I do think it's a decent income for this work, even after the gravy days.

BTW, line counts and other data are posted anonymously at my company, so we can go in and count just how many of us are producing 200 to 300 LPH (not at all unusual, even if most of them don't seem to come here to talk about it), AND how many hours people are actually working too. Obviously, $27/hour x only 27 hours per week lands one in a whole different (lower) socioeconomic group.

Hope all this bother helps someone. Happy typing!
what do you think production is, honey? It ain't hourly pay, you have to do it - or pretty much button up..N/M
[ In Reply To ..]
Yep! Work faster, work smarter, that gives yourself a raise! - MTinNC
[ In Reply To ..]
x
.... and the analaogy is? .... - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
the analogy is - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If I want to eat, its going to cause me some pain (as working here anymore causes tendinitis). So, thats the analogy!
Shorter still: The ant and the grasshopper. - Snuggling up for Winter NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I have made a game of tweeking how I work. I have added - much speed which equals more lines.

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Good for you! Fun watching those line count grow! NM - Congrats
[ In Reply To ..]
x

new transcribers - Sharon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have found a lot of jobs but how does a new transcriber ever get someone to give them a chance?

transcriber - not

[ In Reply To ..]
you are a transcriptionist

transcriptionist - Sharon

[ In Reply To ..]
What? I recently completed a course in medical transcription.
transcriber versus transcriptionist - Positive energy
[ In Reply To ..]
What Sharon is says is that the correct way to identify ourselves is transcriptionist not transcribers!!! When I was a newbee I went to my local doctor offices and gave them a flyer. That worked for me. Good luck.
transcriber or transcriptionist - Viva
[ In Reply To ..]
I've found that when doing job searches online, I have to do searches with the keyword transcriptionist and also transcriber because both are still in use, although the former is preferred as far as usage.

Similar Messages:

I Don't Quite Get The Swap Board Thing
Apr 08, 2010

I don't quite get the swap board thing.  We were told we could go in and look at our schedule for the month and pick a day there if needed to place it on the swap board.  However, my schedule has never been recorded in Schedule Source farther out than 1 week at a time.  So, trying to put in any shift times for the swap in advance of the current work week is impossible for me to do.  I thought our schedule was suppose to automatically populate for the month.  I guess not, and CCM ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

Swap (swamp) Board - Really? They Just NEVER Learn. The Only Good Thing Is Getting Paid For 15 Min
May 13, 2015

for watching the video.  Is this their answer to MOT?  Just so stupid. ...

Two Full-time Jobs
Nov 28, 2011

I was interested in finding out whether anyone else does work two full-time jobs.   I am considering doing this because of how slow my other accounts get sometimes (I know they are overstaffed).  Just wondered how possible it is to do this, both in terms of time and wear and tear on you physicallly transcribing this much.   Anyone who does this that can give me some input or advice??  TIA ...

Can Newbies Get MT Jobs That Offer Full Benefits?
Oct 19, 2009

Is it possible to find a decent job as a new grad that will give you full benefits like dental, medical, 401 K, or am I just dreaming here. I know being an IC it's not going to happen but what about newbies getting positions as fulltime employees. Does it really happen? ...

Why Are A Lot Of Jobs On The Job Seekers Board
Sep 30, 2012

crossed out?  I see it says removed by the author, but I have to wonder why.  I have never seen that before.  Maybe the dislikes are finally giving them the message! ...

Why Are All Of The Jobs In Job Seeker's Board
Apr 07, 2013

crossed out? What's up with that? ...

Jobs On The Job Seeker's Board.
May 10, 2013

Do you ever come to this website and see what you think would be the perfect job for you and then realize it has had over 100 views so far and think to yourself that you don't stand a chance if you apply because so many have probably already done so?  Sometimes I feel like I need to stay on this website and refresh my screen every minute just to catch a break. How does one stand out and actually get these positions? Do you have to be among the first to reply? ...

Moderator: Will We Still Be Getting A 'jobs Wanted' Board, And
Nov 05, 2009

is there a way to fix the search feature to where you can search for short terms?  Right now, it won't let you search for terms like 'QA' or 'MDI' etc. because they're too short.  It also limits you to one page of results.  The Google search box we used to have worked much better.  TIA. ...

Jobs Board Number Of Views Is Down
Feb 13, 2010

It seems that the number of views on the jobs board isn't attracting the kind of interest as usual. Could it be that we won't eat the dogfood anymore and we just aren't interested in being treated like **** and paid 7-11 wages? ...

Re Job On Jobs Board, Orthopedics With E/M. What Does E/M Stand For?
Sep 05, 2012

x ...

BABBLETYPE Is Posting Again On The Jobs Board..sm
Oct 21, 2013

I am hopping on this in order to warn newer MTs DO NOT FALL FOR THIS, it is a SCAM!  Don't get burned by this company---they are about as honest as a 3 dollar bill.  Please search archives for info...there are a lot of scams out there now, just another joy of being an MT these days. ...

MT Jobs Ad From Other Site Posted On Our Job Board
Jun 09, 2014

s ...

Owner/pay Rates - Br FORWARDED FROM JOBS BOARD
Jan 19, 2011

This was posted on the jobs board.  Let's get some dialogue going on this, shall we?   owner/pay rates - br Posted: Jan 19th, 2011 - 3:37 pm I own an MT company (used to be a full time MT) and have MTs submitting resumes and requesting pay rates at .10 cpl or more.  There's no way I can pay this rate and still keep my company afloat.  Partly due to the economy, I can't charge my clients very much or else they will drop me and move onto someone else (i.e. In ...

Jobs Wanted Board - Oh Good Grief
Mar 02, 2011

I just posted on the Jobs Wanted Board - and it came up x 2 - I then tried to delete - and now there are 3 identical postings.....  How do I get the two extra off?  (blushing with embarrassment) - I want to get rid of the evidence as soon as possible  lol ...

Resume Bank/Jobs Wanted Board
Jul 12, 2014

Just curious if posting on the Jobs Wanted or in the Resume Bank has been useful to anyone, or are companies just looking through resumes they receive to fill positions.  Thanks! ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

Just Another Vent About Jobs, No Jobs, Requirement Of Jobs, Etc.
Aug 18, 2010

It is insulting to all of us with the way that MT pay has gone down the drain, it is frustrating and aggravating to look for a "decent" job these days, trying to work out which companies will treat you fairly, which ones lie about their platforms, work, etc., and not only do these companies not want to pay us what we are worth but now I see that MANY companies are requiring the MT to have or "be willing" to purchase hundreds of dollars worth of equipment.  If an employer can PROMISE IN ...

MODERATOR: I See A New Board Offshore, Did You Consider A VR Board?
Oct 13, 2009

nm ...

Ex-full-term Vs Ex Fullterm Vs Ex-full Term
Jan 04, 2012

Describing an infant ...

Where Do I Find The Status Of Jobs And Number Of Jobs?
Nov 26, 2012

I tried entering my ID plus dep on the Fluency for Transcription page and it said my account was inactive.  Okay, so I tried twice with Remedy to get it reactivated.  Both times I got emails telling me it was working.  Tried again and no luck.  Am I on the right page, the one with the hideous orange splash, the same one we use to find our stats?  Any help appreciated, I really don't want to have to call tech support if I don't have to.  Do I even need to d ...

One More Thing!
Mar 11, 2010

Just one more thought.  I have never, ever, known anyone who has left Medquist or Spheris and regretted it.  They may bounce back and forth just to get by, but in the long run, when they are finally finished, they are finished.  For all of those MTs who don't want to start over, please don't take that attitude.  I did and it only got worse and when I did change it wasn't that bad at all.  Again, could it get any worse?  ...

And Another Thing...........
Mar 15, 2010

Not that I'm not glad it was an increase rather than a pay cut, but I think for a lot of us this "raise" is going to just even us out for when he start getting docked pay April 1.  Funny that this "raise" is starting April 1, isn't it?  ...

I Did The Right Thing It Seems
May 02, 2010

Now I know I did the right thing in not only leaving the Q but leaving the field altogether.  I had another physical last week and my blood pressure was back down to 120/70, and my doctor was very happy when he learned I had quit. They wasted no time in sending me labels to ship the computer back, though.  Oh well.. they don't want the monitor, or mouse, or keyboard, so I'm keeping those! ...

Is L5 On S1 The Same Thing As L5-S1
Dec 30, 2010

In half the report the doc says L5-S1, the other half he says L5 on S1.  Is this the same thing?  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Do That PSA Thing?
May 12, 2011

I clicked on each of the highlighted areas in the e-mail, but where do you go to set this up? I must be needing more coffee or something.  I just dont get it.  Read it 3 times now. ...

I Tell You One Thing That I Know For Certain
Jun 17, 2013

If this dictator says, "peeeeeeeeeeeeriod" one more flippin time, I am going to scream as loud as I possibly can and then punch the daylights out of this monitor! ...

Is There Such A Thing As
Jul 13, 2013

Urine welkenton?  Not sure of spelling, since I'm not sure it's really a word.  They could also be saying welkington.  That's what the dictation sounds like and I've listened to it several times on numerous days.  Can't find a reference to it anywhere and I've tried many variations.  Wondering if it's a really old term or if I'm completely misunderstanding.   Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ...

One More Thing Before I Go
Nov 23, 2013

I do believe now that they are starting to target those of us who were making 10/6.  In the past, on my old accounts, I was audited no more than once a month.  If I failed an occasional audit, they would wait another month to see how I did on that one and since I always passed, no action was taken.  There was also no action after I took more than the allowable time off.  Then, at the beginning of November, I was moved to another BOB.  After being on the account for less ...

I Tried To Do The Right Thing But....
Dec 12, 2014

I just can't stick it out 2 weeks :(   Every job I type just stresses me out more and more.  I am to the point that I don't care if I get my 20 hours PTO I have built up.   I am emailing back and forth with my TSM right now and it sounds like she is reading off a script!  "Take each report as they come and try to do your best to prevent errors"  No $%^& lady!!  Does she think we don't know that?????  ARRRGGH I am so beyond frustrate ...