A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT CO-OP. Am I in Fantasy Land? (sm) - Rose

Posted: Jan 30, 2014

Those of us who have many years experience know that very, very few doctors can be trusted to actually proof and correctly edit their reports.  Am I wrong in thinking that this will lead to a lot more malpractice suits which will cause malpractice insurance to dramatically rise?  We know that they want to replace us completely, but will the doctors learn to dictate the first name and address, email or fax of all the docs they wish to cc?  Of course not.  This necessitates office staff to then go through the reports and fill this in, but these people will not have the training to recognize that a female patient doesn't have BPH?  No.  When they become completely dependent on ASR and responsible for their own editing and the malpractice suits start rolling in, will they want us back?

We know the facilities are paying the MTSO more to than .04 cents per line.  Why? Because they love the fast turnaround, which is completely understandable.  MT's are not sticking around for this reduction in income, newbies will not be able to make a living, doctors can't be expected to proof, edit and reformat all their dictations so what would a logical solution be?  MT CO-OP.  WE could make what the facilities now pay the services after getting enough members to facilitate 24-hour turnaround with immediate turnaround for stat reports.  I think this would make everyone happy, with the exception of the MTSOs who make money on our labor. 

I wish I had the business knowledge to set this up, but I do not.  However, I do know that there are thousands of MT/MEs who could pool their knowledge to make this work, but I think our weak spot would be IT experts.  I think in the pool of those of us without work right now there are people some who have the knowlege to make this work. 

I'd appreciate input in whether you think we could do this, or am I in fantasy land thinking that expecting doctors to edit their own reports will somehow work AND be cost-effective in the long run?

Fabulous idea nm - Countmein

[ In Reply To ..]
:-)

Oh, Rose, I just love your ideas! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
No matter what the subject is, Rose, I can always count on you to make lemonade out of lemons. :) What a terrific idea, an MT Co-op! Boy, I would not know the first thing about starting and running a business, but I'd sure love to work FOR you if you can get this going.

It's a good idea, but the problem is, MT is going - to become unnecessary.

[ In Reply To ..]
Even though the co-op idea would have been great, and might have worked 15 years ago, it's now too late. Likely by the end of this year, ALL dictations will be done on VR and edited by the docs themselves, or bypassed entirely by the point & click EMR systems everyone is adopting.

I'm not trying to be negative, and I truly do love your idea. I would've been the first one to jump on the co-op bandwagon, had it been 10-15 years ago. But transcription is just going to disappear. Better to come up with a business co-op in a different type of field.

recycle - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This idea, the same as the "we need a union now" idea recycles every so many months.

The reality is, it cost money to run a service of any kind. It cost money to stay competitive and it cost money for technology and it cost money for security.

Then, and this is the biggest issue, you have MTs who want to transcribe when they want to transcribe. They don't want to when the kids are up or when the sun is out or the moon is up or the temps are over or under 70 degrees. It all starts out roses and people make promises and people break promises.

I've run a service. It's not easy. Finding RELIABLE and TALENTED MTs is NOT easy. You find a lot of MTs with okay skills whose work you find needs QA'd afterall and then they get upset with you because you dared disagree with "the way they've always done it."

While it all sounds like a good idea, the reality of it simply is not a functional idea, especially in light of the technologic competition you're facing.

Not trying to be a naysayer, well, yes I am. Because the topic comes up, people say OH YES and the topic goes away.

We needed a union 20 years ago. Now it's - too late. The MT gig has run its course.

[ In Reply To ..]
X

No, we didn't - ever

[ In Reply To ..]
need a union. You can't even give one definition of the job of MT that fits everyone. Union talk was bull in the 90s and wouldn't have made a hill of beans difference in our lives today other than we'd be out more money thanks to union dues.

Similar Messages:

How Do You Land That First Job?
May 25, 2010

I heard that coding is a career where it is hard to land that first job because experience is wanted. Is that true? I'd appreciate any input. ...

HAPPY NEW EARS TO YOU ALL IN MQ LAND
Dec 31, 2009

No it is not a typo, and yes I am drinking.  So what.  ...

Anyone Out There In MT Land With A Back Problem
Mar 22, 2011

Anyone out there have any back problems and have found the perfect chair or cushion or back support that helps you with comfort while sitting at the computer all day.  Looking for some references. ...

There Must Be Problems In MM ASR Land Today.
Jun 17, 2013

Getting a lot of straight typing on accounts that are normally 99% ASR. ...

Tips On How To Land A Job That Requires Experience? Have You Ever...
Jan 21, 2011

landed a job that required experience that you did not have? I am getting so very frustrated. I have a job now that covers maybe a week and a half of groceries every month. I am pretty new to this field, but due to a ridiculously long college program, I have studied for well over a year and I know my stuff. I test very well and I know what I am doing. All I want at this point is a job with work available, but all of the decent deals seem to require experience. I just need some way around this. I ...

Land Mines And Booby Traps
Nov 26, 2013

I am having one of THOSE days where there are tons of errors! The numbering on meds and diagnoses are wrong about 90% of the time! They tell us our PERCENT OF ACCURACY. What is the ACCURACY of VR????? I'll bet doctors would be horrified if they saw the stuff that we need to fix, except they are too busy to give a crap about us. Days like this I just feel like I am walking through a field packed with land mines, knowing I have a good chance of stepping on one! Does anyone else get sc ...

Moving To No Mans Land Aka Paradise.. Internet Options Suggestions Needed!
Oct 21, 2010

I am only able to find a privately owned local phone company in this small town to offer Internet, through the phone, requires a landline (which I really did not need). Pricing: $100.  For 750 min long distance, call waiting, caller ID, DSL - 3MB.  VERY expensive just for internet and phone line!Insane...ALL calls ANYWHERE except within just two small communities within 5 miles of our new house are long distance!  So, we will be using our cell phones for all calls. There are no ot ...