A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am so very excited!! I am starting a dental assistant program (sm) - SoonToBeExMTer

Posted: Jan 27, 2011

in March, will have it completed on May 1st and will be walking away from MT forever!!!  For anyone who are thinking about leaving this field, I wish you all the best and for those who decide to stay, the same, I wish you all the best as well!!  I am nervous but so excited to start something new!  I just received my W2 and after working long hours, nights, weekends, giving up all of this time with my family, it earned me an incredible amount of $14,000.  I have been told that once I am certified that I will generally start out at around $17-19/hr, possibly only working 4 days a week and THAT I can handle!  It will be so wonderful to get a W2 next year that makes me feel worth something instead of so worthless. 

Salaries vary by region - rambler

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you got that figure from some area dental offices and not the school you are taking the course with.

I live in Pennsylvania and the offices in our area pay around $10 to $12 an hour. The state pays $28k a year, I think. That's something you might want to look into. Most state-ran facilities employ dental hygenists and the benefits are usually better than average.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new career!

Congrats! - sigh

[ In Reply To ..]
So glad you found something to go for. That's my problem--not knowing what I want to do (besides winning the megabucks lottery, which I don't play anyway). Best of luck!

I am so very excited!! - Congratulations! - sc

[ In Reply To ..]
You're making a good change in your life for the better. It's so sad to see how medical transcription has changed over the years, and the future for this field looks dismal; in fact, it already is dismal. I advise any younger person to find something else.

Thanks so much everyone. It is absolutely terrifying to be almost 50 and (sm) - SoonToBeExMTer

[ In Reply To ..]
to be starting all over again, but I know that it can be done and I am going to prove it.

Rambler, thanks so much for your concern. I have spoken with other dental assistants, well actually 3, one who I am friends with and 2 who are my kids of my friends. They lowest that any of them started out at was $16.50/hr, plus some pretty nice benefits.

I have been doing MT for over 23 years and receiving my W2 with $14,000 and some change on it just nailed the coffin shut (so to speak) for me. It shocked me to the reality that I have to do something different and while I was thinking of returning to college I was looking at spending the next 2 years for an associates degree, having to continue with MT in the process. No, I will not be making the big bucks but I will be bringing home a paycheck that I can be proud of, plus benefits, paid time off, holidays, NO weekends, NO nights, lots of time with my family and if I so decide after a while, I can return to become a dental hygienist and then make the big bucks. Thankfully my kids are grown, it is just myself and my husband and while we need my income, it does not "have" to be the big bucks.

Again, thank you all very much for the words of encouragment and again, I really wish you all the best!

Congratulations! (I'm in my early 60's, and still don't - know what I want to be when I grow up....

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You dont have to make final decision. Try many things, see what - you like. Just need to start. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

lucky, lucky gal. congrats! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

congrats! - lovestwinkies

[ In Reply To ..]
In the posts of gloom and despair in our MT field, it is so refreshing to hear of someone at a similar young age has broken into something else! Believe me, benefits to working from home but not always...especially the ones you described. I am still in the field but LUCKILY found an hourly job out of the home as it was getting too challenging for the long hours/low pay and loud house and feelng like no break from it. At least when you work outside the home for low pay, when you go home, you go home....not standing over the computer checking for work constantly and working for horrible rates. Awesome!

Similar Messages:

Dental - Do We Get A Dental Card?
Jan 08, 2013

I signed up for dental coverage for the first time this year.  I haven't received anything.  Does anyone know if we are supposed to receive a dental card?  Thanks ...

Anyone Here Go From MT To Medical Assistant?
Sep 26, 2013

I'm looking at a program in my area that is 9 months long to become a certified medical assistant.  I do realize that MAs don't get paid much (about 14 an hour where I live which sounds awesome to me right about now as I'm a poor MT), and there really isn't any advancement in this type of job.  But, I do want to do something hands-on in the medical field and this seems like a good way to go.  My local hospital is phasing out all the LPNs and replacing them with ...

Anyone Know Anything About Mobile Assistant Inc
Oct 07, 2014

Any info would be helpful. ...

Excited
Jun 16, 2010

Unbanned again.  Long story.  Anyways, I am so excited.  I have an interview on Monday at 3 p.m. at my old in-house facility for a transcription position.  They never, ever have an opening so this is unbelievable.  Would be more money (again) and better vacation/benefits.  I am so hopeful for the first time in a while.  There is hope for us!!!  ...

You Will All Be Excited To Know
Mar 20, 2013

I know I was thrilled. ...

So Excited...
Feb 22, 2014

I have taken a position with Imedx/GIS and could not be happier to get back into transcription. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I did CNA work for a while, long hours, terrible wear and tear on your body and low pay. I had done CNA work prior to transcription. I also currently work at a school as an aide. Low pay, part time, don't get paid for snow days, etc. At least with transcription, I'm at home, I can be flexible with my hours, don't have to worry about ...

Anyone Else Excited About....
Jul 03, 2014

Clocking in and out as work barely trickles in for the next several days??   Email this morning says to make sure we punch in and out as work will be slow-don't want to have to get MUP. It is ridiculous--knowing this happens around every holiday, we should not have to use PTO for the time there is no work---not for a holiday or ever--none of this is new.... Last year I requested off around a holiday and was told that no part-time employees could have it off (It was Labor Day).   ...

MT Transition To Physician Assistant
Mar 05, 2011

I am considering this.  I am interested in biology and medicine, but do not want to be a nurse.  Anyone know about physician assistant's courses, how rigorous they are, how expensive and how much time it takes to complete them?  I am in the middle of getting my associates degree right now in general studies.  The original plan is going for a masters in social work, but biology and medicine is holding my interest at this point, so wondering if I should switch majors.  ...

Mobile Assistant US Transcription
Nov 08, 2011

Curious about a company by the name of US Transcription who also do Mobile Assistant. Has anyone ever heard of them or worked for them? ...

MT Vs Med Assistant Vs Med Records Tech
May 31, 2012

I have heard and read of MTs moving out of this field into coding. But has anyone transitioned out of MT to med assisting or a medical records technician? Or does anyone know someone who did? I've been trying to research information and was wondering if it is better career and/or better salary that does not require too much schooling? ...

Mobile Assistant - Does Anyone Work?
Jan 22, 2014

Does anyone work as a Mobile Assistant?  I am wanting to find out approximate range of pay before applying. Thanks :) ...

Anyone Heard Of Mobile Assistant ?
Dec 02, 2014

Wondering if anyone has heard of or works for mobile assistant out of Wisconsin. Experiences? ...

Wow, Became Really Excited With The Posting Of A New Job (sm)
Dec 17, 2011

Became even more excited when I read that it was owned by a former transcriptionist and then it hit, pay will start at 7-8 CPL, depending upon experience and oh, hey, all of our transcriptionists are ICs.  What the heck????  Oh well, hopefully one of the 50 companies that I have applied with this week will contact me.  Still beating that worn out path .... Good luck to anyone else that is looking! ...

I Was Excited About The Job Posting That Just
Aug 20, 2012

showed up until I saw it paid NO SPACES!!  I have MS Word 2000 and FTP.  I will not apply because of no spaces though.  Dislike! ...

I'm Excited About Learning Something New
Sep 11, 2012

I'm getting everything together to start on a new path. I've been impressed with so many of you who have taken on a new career even though you, like me, are well out of your 30s and 40s. I am inspired by people I've met on here who are changing their lives. I've seen you say that it scares you, but you're doing it anyway. I really have to respect that. Congratulations to all of us! ...

Oh People I'm So Excited
Jul 15, 2013

I had an interview with a tiny local MTSO and tomorrow I start training.  She knows I am not quite ready to totally jump ship and is willing to let me try it out and see how it goes.  I should be able to figure out pretty quickly if I can make good money and if so I can finally say goodbye! The benefits may be a problem, but maybe not.  It's clinic work, all straight typing, with templates, templates, templates!  I can't believe my good luck! ...

I'm So Excited...I'm Getting Fired.
Mar 04, 2014

Made an appointment with social security office.  Already receiving TIAA-CREF payout (from divorce...waited 14 years for that)  Will be getting more money than with MM without the headaches and pay cuts.  And just in time, my audit score of 96.1 this month will be a FAILURE next month.  Guitar lesssons, books, and coffee shops HERE I COME. ...

Cancer Registrar Vs Medical Assistant? Sm
Jun 01, 2013

I'm considering getting out of transcription. I've been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.  I'm looking into either CRM or MA - CRM through AHIMA online or MA at local community college.  I'm worried that CRM is too much of a "niche" job. There is a nearby cancer treatment center. However, I'm also worried that MA would not necessarily pay that much.  I would appreciate any input/advice anyone cares to offer.  ...

Mobile Assistant Transcription Company
Mar 17, 2014

I sent a resume to several jobs from the MT Jobs search and was sent a test for this company.  Has anyone ever worked here before or is currently employed.  If so, could you tell me about them. ...

TTS Administrative Assistant Position-SALARY???
May 04, 2015

Did you see the job posting for TTS Administrative Assistant.  Now how in the world is that a salary position?  Don't these people know the IRS is checking out all these misclassifications, just to avoid paying OT?  That's a huge red flag, an exempt position that is nothing more than a glorified secretary or clerical position.  I worked for a company once that had to pay back wages for all the hours worked, as they misclassified an exempt position (salary) that shou ...

So Excited I Get To Work ANOTHER Holiday!!!!
May 25, 2010

Totally amazing unless the holiday falls on the 1 day a week that I don't work I can't have it off.....and oh no I'm not complaining I love not getting to spend time with my family! This company rocks! ...

Now I'm Excited!! I Saw That Landmark Is Now Hiring
Dec 20, 2011

I have heard so many awesome things and am just very glad they accept Vista.  I am so praying now.  May not be able to give my kids gifts for Christmas, but a new job would help! ...

Egad I Hate That!! I Was Getting Really Excited About The
Mar 03, 2012

post that said psychiatry, psychology, podiatry and found out it was posted in the wrong spot!!  UGH!!  It was by a person named Sheba if a mod sees this so they can delete it! ...

Actually Excited To Start May 6 W/Nuance
Apr 21, 2013

Just finally able to get established from home and no more commute! Gotta look at the bright side, right? ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

BURN - The Arm Was Irrigated With A S/l Pulsar Lavage Assistant
Aug 09, 2010

the arm was irrigated with a s/l pulsar lavage assistant with 3 L of s/l lactating ringers ...

Oticed A Lot Of Medical Assistant Jobs Looking For EMR Experience
Oct 31, 2012

looks like there may be a place for us MTs to go once MT dies out completely ...

Mobile Assistant - Financial And Insurance Transcription?
Mar 26, 2013

Has anyone worked for Mobile Assistant, a company that has financial and insurance transcription? If so, what was your experience like with this company?  Thanks. ...

Going Back To School And Getting Certified As A Medical Assistant
Mar 24, 2014

I have been in the field of Education for 23 yrs and have been an Administrator for the past 13. Due to the economy,  schools would rather hire those with no experience and pay them less than seasoned veterans like myself. I have 2 in college and a 10yr old I adopted at birth so I am far from retirement. I am considering going back to school and getting certified as a Medical Assistant (which would include Phlebotomy and X-ray tech) and Medical Billing/Coding or Transcription. I am currently un ...

Funny How The Things They're Most Excited About Depress Me The Most.
Apr 17, 2013

Meeting TAT faster? That's because everyone's sitting around waiting on work. More and more work going to ASR?  No comment even necessary on how bad that is... ...