A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Free at last ... - Maggie May

Posted: Dec 08, 2013

FINALLY! I have finally managed to get out of MT permanently. I'll have to drive 30 minutes each way to work, but I will have the same shift I had working at home only for a guaranteed hourly wage! What an amazing Christmas present!

Good luck to all of you who are trying to escape.

Congrats! - I escaped a year ago!-nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

What will you be doing? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not OP - ...but I am doing

[ In Reply To ..]
Home Health work, as an elderly aide and companion.

Pay is not great, but no worse than this MT stuff, and no serious mental stress---can be emotionally draining---like when someone is very ill or in pain, but mentally it's not anywhere near MT work.

That's great! At least you're making a difference in someone's life - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Thanks - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
Home Health Aide/Companion is very rewarding. I used to feel that way about MT and felt I was making a difference in peoples' lives. No more.

Even before I stopped making decent money in the MT biz, I lost respect for it. These big agencies don't give a diddly-doo about what it takes to be a good MT, and they have completely demoralized us to the point of no return.

I will take cleaning someone's dentures or helping them in the john any day. It means something to the person who is unable to do it for themself.

There are many ways to "make a difference" in someone's life, and at this stage of my life, I chose the elderly companion route. I'm 58, and do not have the wherewithall (sp?) to go back to school in a big way. I just took some CPR and other training classes, and this is what I plan to do until I'm 62 and completely retire.

I am a CNA. It gives me flexible hours while I'm going - Me too

[ In Reply To ..]
to school. There is a lot of work available. I worked for one agency that had mostly Medicaid patients. I had multiple clients a day, didn't get paid for time going from patient to patient or mileage for same. I was also sent to some of the filthiest homes.

I now work for an agency that only has private pay clients. They are selective about the clients they accept so I know I'm not going into nasty houses.

They pay isn't great. I'm making half what I made as an MT a year ago, but I lost 2 good MT jobs within a few months of each other. I have 27 years of experience and the best I could do was MModal or Nuance. I decided that was the push I needed to explore other options.

I'm not 100% sure what I want to do yet, but I'm taking lots of courses that will make me more employable, such as becoming Excel certified, professional writing, and medical billing and coding.
My school no longer offers a transcription course because they knew that students did not have a bright future with MT.
TO CNA - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
There is no money in home health care work & it sounds like that is what your are doing. Also, you do not have to be certified to do home health care; its called being a PA (personal assistant).

About 15 years ago I worked as a CNA for a nursing agency & I made pretty good money. I worked three 12 hour shifts Fri, Sat & Sun at various nursing homes in my area (wherever they sent me that week) and went to school Monday thru Thursday. Back then I was making $14 an hour which was fairly decent at that point.

I don't know what its like now, but back then if you worked for a nursing home versus agency the starting rate was $9 to $10 per hour. Maybe you should consider working in the nursing home setting and bypass the home health aid because again, you do not have to be certified to work as a home health aid or personal care assistant.
The nursing home paid 8.55/hr and I worked like a dog. I get paid - Me
[ In Reply To ..]
$15/hr, 50 cents/mile, meals, and more doing home care. I don't have to be a CNA to do home care, but it is a requirement to work in a nursing home. As I said, it is only a stepping stone while I'm in school.

I quit - M-Murder

[ In Reply To ..]
a month ago and have never felt better. I was just waiting to make sure my escape was complete before I posted about it here.

Almost a year ago I got my life and health insurance licenses (about $1000 for courses, testing, fees) and had a few false starts trying to sell insurance part time before finally out of the blue I was contacted by a small brokerage company specializing in Medicare supplement insurance. I was hired on the spot, and get a salary plus commissions on policies I sell. All work is done by phone out of a lovely modern office with some of the nicest, most helpful people I have ever encountered. My boss is really into professional development of his sales staff and shows us all a lot of respect and appreciation.

At first I was really scared about this whole idea... getting dressed, traffic, office environment, dealing with the public, etc., but now I can't believe I threw away all those years living on the trash heap that MT has become for so many years. I never could have imagined a year ago I could be learning and growing so much, and I am no spring chick... in another few years I will be selling myself a med sup policy, LOL!

I now have less and less interest in the MT world, so have only visited this site occasionally since I started my new career (yes, it really is a career). I did this job for so long (30 years) it is hard to turn away from, like watching a slow motion train wreck.

I do hope that anyone who is looking finds a way out. MTs are smart, and there is no reason for so many of us not to have the kind of lives we deserve.

Similar Messages:

Pass Of Free Flow Or Passive Free Flow?
Feb 04, 2011

Negative aspiration and pass of free flow of saline into the peritoneum was observed. or is it passive free flow of saline? ...

Free At Last!!!
Oct 25, 2009

After working for MQ for nearly 5-1/2 years, I'm finally leaving.  The first 5 years were great!  Then they decided to force QAs to do transcription and ASR.  If I wanted to transcribe I would have applied for an MT job.  Not to mention the fact that I was making close to $16 an hour and now this has been reduce to around $11 and sometimes under $8.  It's MQs loss.  It's too bad they don't treat their valuable employees better.  I just love ...

Free At Last!
Nov 11, 2009

I'm giving notice that I'm quitting very soon!  I made good money until the last year or so and I'm leaving this job that I find boring and lonely (and now doesn't even pay well).  I'm going to be working for a doctor as a scribe and getting paid per hour!  Woo-hoo!!  The pay is not great but at least I will be out of the house and doing something a little different.  I will have human interaction too!  I'm burnt out beyond belief, ...

Im Free
May 04, 2010

You know I am no longer with MQ. I did not pass the audit and honestly I really did not care to. I have figured out why bother.  Why kill myself for short checks. I have worked with them for 12 years and I feel so free right now.  I also am working for another company on the side so that helps  :)   ...

Moo Free?
Nov 12, 2010

Is there a type of chondroitin called "Moo free"?  I found it online, but as far as I can tell, it's for dogs. ...

Free At Last Also!
Dec 04, 2012

Judging from some of the recent posts below, there looks to be an exodus of sorts from MModal and MT in general. I have joined that group. I left MModal last month to pursue another at-home job NOT IN MT with flexible schedule, hourly pay, and pays substantially more than what I made at MModal. Don't know what took me so long to "take the plunge" away from MT. After many years of MT with 12 of those years being with Medquist/MModal and the last 7 on the same accounts, I already miss the wo ...

Free At Last
Nov 11, 2014

I just turned in my resignation.  I am free of the dreaded N at the end of next week. ...

S/l In The Free Fragment
Feb 10, 2010

MRI scan does show an L4-L5 disc and L5-S1 disc in the free fragment in the disc canal.   I am unsure of the part underlined, as I have never head that before. tia.   ...

Free Fax Program
Mar 19, 2010

Are there any free fax software programs? ...

Is There A Free Antivirus That You Use?
Feb 23, 2011

I have been using Nortons, but keep having problems. I really don't want to spend more money since I just paid $70 for this and it is giving me problems. Thanks ...

I Think I Worked For Free.....
Mar 03, 2011

So I finished my MT course and began to look for work..It is going well other than I was contacted by, for now I will just say a company, I transcribed some audio files (not medical, which I found odd when she contacted me but okay) took me several hours, met the deadline, filled out the W9 form (with social security number) and sent it off. We had two seperate phone calls. She e-mails me that once the report goes through the proofing process and their system that I will get the repor ...

Finally Free!!!
Oct 06, 2011

The nasty Q and I have finally parted ways!!!!  Looking forward to better opportunities than this horrible job!!!! ...

Thank God In Heaven I'm Free At Last!
Mar 09, 2012

Woohoo! Got the job offer today.  At long last I am out of transcribing.  I feel such relief I cannot even believe it.  No more production pay at poverty rate.  No more frustration of broken promises.  For those of you staying, I really do hope the latest promises of hearing you and making changes will be kept.  And for those of you who keep saying quit whining and do something about it if you are unhappy, venting doesn't mean we aren't doing anything ab ...

Pain-free
May 26, 2012

She is now chest pain free with nitroglycerin drip.   Is this correct?? or  chest-pain free  with nitroglycerin drip chest pain free in nitroglycerin drip ...

Free Spaces
Jan 26, 2013

Hi from Australia on Australia Day.  Only new at this MT at home business.  Struggling to get my line count up.  In all honesty it would take a few months to add in enough shortcuts to make it worthwhile.  I have been racking my brain over how to get those two spaces at the end of a sentence for free.  Finally it has come to me.  We all need to do an autotext incorporaing the last letter of a sentence and the first letter of the following sentence ie  I saw Liz ...

Free At Last From Nuance
Sep 11, 2013

Having a bad job is worse than no job, so I quit.  Nuance, a place with great expectations and a low-ball salary.  In fact it is the lowest wage job I have ever had with little to no benefits.   Can you imaging the smile on my face right about now.  Yes, yes, yes, I am free and singing a happy tune! ...

Soon To Be Free Of Mmoral
Feb 13, 2014

Yay, I just landed a new job away from this wretched place!  I posted my resume on the resume board and got a call out of the blue - perfect match for me and my experience and them and their needs.  I start very soon and could not be happier.  I just wanted to let you all know to keep trying, your perfect match will come to you too.  I wish for you all to feel the way I do right now, and it has been a long time since I have had this joy for work again.  I bid you all a g ...

Free Player
Aug 08, 2014

Peace Out...I'M FREE!!!
Oct 09, 2014

I finally did it...found a good, well-paying job outside of the MT world after 15 years! I felt bad giving no notice to my supervisor b/c I really like her, but I can't really feel bad for MM, the company itself....after the drastic cut in pay since voice rec, outsourcing, running out of work, all the demands on perfection and the crappy dictators, I feel like a giant weight has been lifted! ...

Need Free Spellchecker
Mar 20, 2015

Can anybody suggest an inexpensive medical spellchecker program? I have Stedmans 2008 on my "other computer" which quit working earlier this week, won't be fixed til next week. had to get an inexpensive replacement today so I can work -- can't afford to be not able to work for that long and it will do as a backup in the future. Apparently Stedmans does not "service" the 2008 edition anymore and I can't load it on this computer because they don't do the activation, etc., st ...

Free Medical Spellcheck?
Nov 26, 2009

anyone know of any good, reliable free medical spellcheck i can download? i am using word 2007 right now.   thanks :o)   crystal ...

Toll-free MT Helpline
Sep 18, 2010

Does anyone out there know of a toll-free MT helpline? I find it easier to talk to someone directly about a specific thing I'm looking for rather than wade through forums and replies.  Any help would be appreciated. ...

Free Tibial Edema?
Jun 30, 2011

sentence s/l:  Trace pretibial and free tibial edema. Does this sound correct? I have not been able to find any definition of "free tibial." ...

Express Scribe Free?
Nov 10, 2011

Does anybody here have any experience with the free download of Express Scribe and if it will play .dss files? I would also appreciate any thoughts on which of the "free" transcription software programs are "really" the best.....Thanks for your help! :) ...

Free Text Expander
Nov 20, 2011

Hi guys, Do you happen to know any free text expander compatible with Windows 7? Would appreciate it very much if you could help me with this. Thanks.   jum ...

Free Line Counter
Nov 29, 2011

I was told there is a free download thru MTSTARS for a line counter.  How do I locate it if it exists?  Thank you.  Jay ...

Free Player For Testing?
Aug 22, 2012

Will someone help me in finding a free player besides Express Scribe (my free trial has run out)I can use when I am testing for companies? I am looking for a job and do not want to purchase anything right now. TIA! ...

Free Short Cut Programs
Feb 28, 2013

My shorthand stopped working, I tried to rename my file like changing a letter like the instructions said, but nothing works. I now need something very quickly to help me out with work today. Is there anything that is easy and quick and simple that you all know works well with windows? ...

100% Error Free Work
Jun 13, 2013

Help.  My self-esteem is in the basement.  What do you do when you are doing your level best and still not achieving the 100% error free work required?   I feel no one can do it.  I quit as I was doing my very best.....  What would you do?  Since errors were never recorded in a percentage type review I have no idea what I did wrong?  No feedback was included just told "little mistakes"  - so I am guessing an a, the or an error in punctuation.  My last ...

ExpressScribe Not Free Anymore?
Aug 14, 2013

After 2 weeks or so it wants you to buy the Pro version.   It has always been FREE!!  I had to change computers and thus had to download it again and now after 6 weeks of multiple downloads, it won't let me set up the foot pedal... says I must buy it Any ideas out there?  Or other freebies that work as well? ...