A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ExpressScribe not free anymore? - sm

Posted: Aug 14, 2013

After 2 weeks or so it wants you to buy the Pro version.   It has always been FREE!! 

I had to change computers and thus had to download it again and now after 6 weeks of multiple downloads, it won't let me set up the foot pedal... says I must buy it

Any ideas out there?  Or other freebies that work as well?

If you like ExpressScribe - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
Why not just buy it? That way you will get updates and tech support.

Same problem here. New PC, no Express Scribe! - (and also, no MONEY!) :(

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

stop being cheap - and just

[ In Reply To ..]
buy the dang thing! They have payment options. You skirted along free for many years, but you can't keep getting "free stuff" forever. Pay them their dues and be done with it. There are no other "free" dictation players. It's about time they caught up to all the "freeloaders." We all have to pay, so should you.

And where is the money supposed to come from? - You wanna chip in?

[ In Reply To ..]
Costs of doing business - $$$
[ In Reply To ..]
If you can't afford to scrape up $29.99 then I guess it's not important enough for you to work.

Really, for those that smoke it's less than a carton of cigarettes. It's the cost of not eating out for a month, or buying a cheap cut of meat for a month, or cutting your electric bill by turning down the air a couple of degrees for a month.

If the job is important, you'd be able to come up with $29.99. JMHO

Is it really only $30? Wow. - I agree--buy it.
[ In Reply To ..]
I just checked and it's only 19.99. - Good grief.
[ In Reply To ..]
We don't do our work for free, why should we expect others to do so? Pay for the product.
Yeah. If you cannot scrape up $20 - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
for a necessary work tool, MT really isn't working out for you. Maybe it's time to rethink your career.

Seriously, why should the developers of ExpressScribe provide it for free? They deserve to be paid for their skills and effort.
Gee, you must be really GOOD. You probably - do 600 lpm & make 60K/year, right?
[ In Reply To ..]
Regardless, I'm sure that if Express Scribe no longer has a free version, some other company will come along and provide one for free that will likely work a whole lot better than clunk E.S.
If they so deserve to be paid, then they shouldn't offer it - free the first time around. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
show me where it is 19.99 - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
All I did was google the product. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
But here's a link for you.

Go to "purchase pro edition."

Express Scribe is the first product on the list and it costs $19.99.
Same Place I have gone and says 29.99 - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Says 19.99 on my screen. - nm.
[ In Reply To ..]
I got 29.99 through Chrome and 19.99 through Firefox. - very strange
[ In Reply To ..]
I even cleaned my cache in Chrome, and it still showed 29.99 there.

I'm now getting 19.99 only in IE, 29.99 in both Firefox and Chrome.

Moot point to me, I can't stand the way Express Scribe sounds when slowed down or sped up, so I'm going with Transcription Buddy. I had some problems with a couple of MP3s truncating in that (a 50-minute file changing to 47 minutes?), but after I converted them to WAVs with Switch Sound File Converter, they were fine.

Obviously really no perfect player available (and they're all so low quality compared to like the proprietary players in DocQScribe and EditScript, IMO), but Transcription Buddy is the best I've found so far. TheRecord Player is good too (and free), but something got corrupted in that and it stopped working for me, unfortunately. Uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times and just had to give up on it.
Free riding - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
You need to be responsible for buying what you need. No one should expect their equipment and ancillary material to come free. Come on. Twenty bucks should not be that hard to come by.
Free Riding - who are you to tell any of us what we "need" to do - Ugh!
[ In Reply To ..]
Free equipment has been around for years and it is a marketing strategy. It is very common with FTP and cloud servers right now, just like Express Scribe was for years.
Yup. Most of the software on my PC I got - for free. As well as all my music!
[ In Reply To ..]
You must not be an MT, or you'd know how - hard $20 is to come by.
[ In Reply To ..]
I love how all these lovely so-called MTs gang up and go for the jugular as soon as someone admits they're having a hard time making a living at this anymore.

I guess what they say is true. We really ARE all descended from killer apes.
That's such a lame excuse - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have a cell phone, cable TV? Eat fast food? Buy pop? Betcha do. If you can afford those, then you can pay $20 for ES.

Nope. Land line only. No cableTV. Fast food? Ugh! - Pop is fattening; I drink water or tea.
[ In Reply To ..]
yeah....right... - blowing smoke.
[ In Reply To ..]
I smell lies.
No, not hard to come by at all, if all of you bullies - chip in and send her a buck apiece. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
okay - here is
[ In Reply To ..]
my portion.... $1.

nobody gave me free stuff when I was in need, including money, food, a place to stay, or whatever. just paying it forward.

I've got 2 different versions and would gladly share with OP - if she contacts me by email. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the simple versions, never paid for them, downloaded several years ago and I never get requests to buy a full version.

Yes, most MT jobs these days make barely enough to get by unless you're lucky enough to have the same dictators over and over again, memorized what they say, and use all macros - when you have work.
even if you - share
[ In Reply To ..]
with the OP, I doubt that it will work once it is loaded on her computer. Those types of programs are usually coded somehow and only work on the computer it was downloaded to. but good luck.
FYI -- that's software piracy and that's illegal - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
CEOs of that company are rich. I'm sure they - wont miss one copy of Express Scribe.
[ In Reply To ..]
If they're anything like the rest of the 1%, they probably use $20 bills for toilet paper. My heart doesn't bleed for them one iota.
Using your logic - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
you shouldn't ever pay for anything ever at all. Just find a successful person or company who makes what you want and steal it. After all, you're entitled to what they worked for and earned, aren't you? Why should you have to expend any effort when you can just join the rest of the welfare rats and steal what others have earned.

You had money to buy a new PC - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
Next to the cost of a new computer, the $20 ExpressScribe costs is peanuts. You didn't expect to get the PC for free (or did you?). ExpressScribe is another tool, just like the PC is a tool.

Remember, any costs you incur related to your job, even parts of your electric/cable - Can.Be.Written.Off.Taxes

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Got it rebuilt, discounted. Still took every - penny I had in savings.

[ In Reply To ..]
I can get by without E.S., it was just nice to have for those cash-only sideline jobs. You know... the ones we all do to fill in the hours each day we sit with NJA on our screens from our full-time jobs.

No Express Scribe - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You know that old saying, You have to spend money to make money? Well, it's true. You need to invest in what you need. And it is a tax deduction anyway.

Wow, tough crowd - OldMt

[ In Reply To ..]
Express Scribe was free for years and nobody was a freeloader. It is how NCH promoted their products. You were offered Express Scribe for free and that gave them exposure for referrals and sales of other products. I believe the original few posts were just commenting on their surprise, not trying to be cheap. Whew, some of you really see the dark side, don't you?
Agree! Nobody ask a question from this crabby crowd! - Yikes
[ In Reply To ..]
To the OP, I know what you're saying--I was surprised and disappointed to discover it was no longer free, too. I'm finding I have fewer dollars to spend these days.

Every once in a while, I find awesome support here, but it's always smashed by a bunch of nasties who can't even fake being courteous. No wonder they work isolated and at home! Really, my first boss told me that most transcriptionists had personality deficits, so maybe she was right?

I, for one, am getting out of this nightmare.

I wish you luck as you struggle to shoulder more and more of the cost of working and receive less and less of the pie.

Use your head. Most of us don't have excess cash flow - at any given time. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
and have to watch our money closely from week to week. I've been in that boat many time, as are many others.

She obviously doesn't have money to spare right now, unlike some of YOU who sound like you've got it to burn.
If you are living that close to the edge - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
maybe you need to make some changes. If whatever you're doing isn't providing you with a decent living, find something that will. Staying put and playing the victim will just bring more of the same. Take some action, get some training, get out and talk to people, find something better. Do something. Don't just hide behind "I can't" or "I won't" or "You don't understand." Do something. Stop blaming, start doing.

Express Scribe - Mina

[ In Reply To ..]
Use and older version!! 4.3 is free. However, some of the newer versions allow video so you can transcribe, for example, court reports and actually see who is talking. I don't need all those bells and whistles, so I went back to the older version that I know works for me and all audio types

Email me if you want ExpressScribe nm - Hiya007

[ In Reply To ..]
Hopefully the "unhelpful" crabby people will not ask for it. Whatever happened to helping people out?

gone with - the wind

[ In Reply To ..]
nobody "helps anybody out" these days, at least not for "free." It has become a privileged society of "entitlement" mindset... one for me and all for me. gimmee, gimmee, gimmee. and I do not care if ES used to be "free" or not, it no longer is, and probably because the company is taking financial hits due to the downturn of this industry, as well as the rest of us. I don't think the OPs original post was a post of "surprise," she just wanted to not have to pay for something... and yes, I do know it is not easy to have to scrape up another $20 you don't have, but if you want to work still in this industry, you find a way to make it work. I recently was offered a job at a company that only used a certain type of dictation software and if I wanted the job, I was "required" to have it. Many companies have requirements to do their work... C phones, only certain versions of Word, Spellcheck, FTP, etc and if you want to work, you get them. As another poster said, if you can afford a new computer, you can afford $20 to continue doing your job. You should have thought things through as far as the programs you need to use to do your job prior to buying one. I don't care if it was "reconditioned, discounted," or what...it was still an expense and I am sure that will be written off on taxes at the end of the year, so what's another $20? And we are not crabby people, we are just tired of some others wanting and "expecting" stuff for free!

See inside - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

Post regarding an older version:  http://forum.mtstars.com/494925.html

And here's a VirusTotal scan I just did of that download, to be extra safe (no hidden malware/virsuses, in other words):  https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c6042eafbc165f1771c05f168a19382199c6b9c1dbd616e977c8e37eed5309a2/analysis/1376575451/

There's also this free player:  http://community.fortherecord.com/index.php?/page/playerdownload

For the Record - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I have downloaded the player and provided detaileld instructions as to how to load files to it. It is free and works with almost every file type. It is also 4 channel capability, so if you get into general/legal transcription at some point, it works great for that too. I have also found that the rewind setting on this is much better than on ES.

Express Scribe - Mina

[ In Reply To ..]
Use an older version, such as 4.3, search the internet.....

Mina is right - me

[ In Reply To ..]
There are still free versions out there. It takes some searching but you can find an active download link to an older free version.

Express Scribe - mt49

[ In Reply To ..]
I just checked and it's still possible to get Express Scribe free. Just typed Express Scribe in Bing and there it is.

Express Scribe - Minda

[ In Reply To ..]
version 4.35......free! Works like a charm, handles most voice file types. I have the exe file...if you want it send me your email address and I will send it to you. The newer version are asking you for money and don't work nearly the same and don't tolerate some of the voice files like before. However, it does provide audio/video. Who needs support? It works without a problem. I don't need to pay extra for a new program with tech support.

Similar Messages:

Any Other Free Software Out There Other Than ExpressScribe That's Compatible With Infinity USB
May 20, 2014

Can't get pedal to work on Express Scribe.  Have tried everything.  Are there any other free transcription software/programs I can download?  Thanks.  ...

Anyone Buy ExpressScribe Pro?
Aug 20, 2012

I have the free version but it sounds tinny and I have tried the bass fixes they mentioned on the site. Just wondering if anyone owns the Pro version to know if it's worth buying or if it is going to sound the same way. I started a new job last week and am struggling because I am leaving so many blanks from the echo of ExpressScribe. TIA ...

Pass Of Free Flow Or Passive Free Flow?
Feb 04, 2011

Negative aspiration and pass of free flow of saline into the peritoneum was observed. or is it passive free flow of saline? ...

Desperately Need ExpressScribe Help
Oct 14, 2009

I am trying to transcribe files in Express Scribe.  The first file keeps speeding up and going really fast, even when I decrease the speed button on the display.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  The second problem is when I start the voice file, when I lift my foot off the pedal, the file keeps playing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!! ...

DocShuttle With Expressscribe
May 14, 2010

Does anyone use DocShuttle with Express Scribe?  ...

ExpressScribe And Footpedal
Oct 11, 2010

I have used expressScribe before with my footpedal... but I have forgotten how to hook it up!!!  What I mean is I stopped using ExpressScrbice for a while and deleted it from my computer- I just re-loaed it and now I cant use my footpedal!!   Can some one help me in setting this up again?!?!  Thanks!!! Jess ...

Some Questions About ExpressScribe
Apr 05, 2012

I have been an MT for decades, using Word Perfect, then Bayscribe, and now another platform.  I never worked in Word. I was in the dark about a lot of things, being at my previous job for over 10 years, perfectly content, not realizing the chaos that was going on in this industry.  After being sold about 2 years ago, I had to learn a new platform, learn VR, and finally after a few years, understand how to use this particular platform.  Please bear with me as I ask a few ...

ExpressScribe Problems
Apr 09, 2012

I was using the free version of ExpressScribe and had no problems.  I purchased it yesterday, and now my wav files won't download.  Nothing has changed.  Can someone help me?  I did not pay for their support help, and am wondering if this is some sort of way that they want to get me to purchase the support help.  Thank you. ...

ExpressScribe And MS Word
Jun 29, 2012

New to this. How can I listen to file in ExpressScribe and type it in MS Word? ES gives me the area where I can type it, but I would rather no have to copy and paste if I can just type it in Word but still listen to the dictation. Any info would be helpful. Thanks so much! ...

Problem With ExpressScribe
Jul 19, 2012

Hi, all,   I was hoping someone could help me with a problem I'm having with ExpressScribe.  I have used the free version for years.  I recently uninstalled it because I had an issue with it playing the files I needed, and after the uninstall, I re-downloaded the program.  However, now I only get a trial version, and when I try to set up my pedal, the message pops up that my pedal doesn't work with the trial version and that I can upgrade to Pro.  I didn' ...

Alternative To ExpressScribe
Sep 29, 2012

I desperately need an alternative to ES.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling for the free trial version several times.  I finally kept getting a message that I could no longer download the free trial, so I purchased the Pro version because I was promised that I was also paying for tech support.  The program keeps freezing up.  I am having an awful time loading files.  Yesterday afternoon I was trying to load files and it took me an entire 4 hours to get 15 files loaded with no more ...

ExpressScribe Users Please Help...sm
Nov 13, 2012

Could someone tell me when load and delete voice files into ExpressScribe, how the heck do I get it to save the original date and time stuff was recorded instead of changing it to the date and time I brought it into the program.  Frustrated.  Thanks all. ...

ExpressScribe Jamming Up Computer
May 06, 2011

Recently I downloaded ExpressScribe onto my PC, but shortly thereafter I had to delete it because my computer kept jamming up!!  Now I'm reading various complaints on this board about the program so thought I'd post this to see if anyone else had similar problems with it. Any recommendations for other player software programs that can handle WAV files? Thanks! ...

Can I Access Markers In ExpressScribe?
May 08, 2012

When a doctor uses markers at the beginning of each patient's dication in a recording, how can I access those in Express Scribe when listening to it? I have e-mailed the company twice, and the first reply was totally unrelated to my question. There was no reply to the second query. I am currently using the free dl version of ExpressScribe but would glady upgrade to the $30 version if I was sure I could access the markers. Thanks for any help! ...

ExpressScribe Won't Play A Wav File
Jun 29, 2012

I can load it into the dock, but it says there are 0 minutes of dictation. If I play it on Windows Media, it says I need a codec. I don't know what that is. If I right click the file, I see it has 2 minutes of dictation on it. Why won't it play? I've tried opening it in several other places, and it just won't work. This is the free version. I've played dozens of files before. ...

ExpressScribe Pro Expired? So Frustrated......
Jul 11, 2012

I was in the middle of working on a file on ExpressScribe Pro and a box popped up saying that it had expired and that I would have to purchase it.  It had said at the top that it was licensed and my name.  I was having issues with playing the files and they sent me an update link to fix it.  Now a month later it tells me that my program has expired and that I have to purchase it.  I am so frustrated right now and NCH will not answer my questions anymore or respond in any way ...

ExpressScribe Audio Quality
Jul 29, 2012

I have been having an issue with ExpressScribe. I took a test a couple of weeks ago for a job I should have aced, but halfway into the dictation, it sounded like the dictator was on a cell or in a tunnel. I thought that maybe they were testing to see if I could do this type of work because perhaps the dictator dictates this way. I didn't fair so well. So I took another test yesterday which is in my area of expertise and I didn't get the job because of my quality. The problem is, ...

ExpressScribe Buttons Don't Light Up
Mar 24, 2015

Hi, having problems with ExpressScribe. 1) Downloading a file emailed to me, the name appears, but no data; the playback, etc. buttons don't lilght up. Asked the sender to resend in case there was an error. 2) Want to try other programs (dictation software), but don't know how to save the files that I have in ExpressScribe so that I may load them into another program. Thanks. ...

ExpressScribe And Audio Files/CODEC?
Nov 02, 2010

I sure hope someone out there can help me with this. Due to this situation I will be losing each day and this is only day 1 at this point so need to get this resolved. Problem: I get my files through FTP, download them into ExpressScribe and then play via foot pedal. I have been able to do this on this same account for months. The other day my supervisor wants me to work on a new account so I proceed to get my files the same way as above, but when I put them in ExpressScribe I get a window that ...

Anything Other Than ExpressScribe To Playback Test Files?
Feb 25, 2014

Apparently, and I did not know this since I have not used it in a long time, it is no longer free to use with a footpedal.  I know I can play it back in Windows Media, but again, I cannot control it and it takes to long to transcribe anything. ...

GearPlayer/Start-Stop/ExpressScribe
Oct 04, 2014

Hi! I am setting up to work digitally from home (good-bye tapes!). I have to get software and am looking for recommendations/information on which would be the best.  Thank you so much in advance for your input. I already have setup an FTP site with MTFTP, and must say it costs a little more than some that I looked at but came highly recommended from a friend.  It was very easy to navigate and setup.  One quick call to tech went very well, very helpful.  At this point, woul ...

Infinity Foot Pedal... What Program? Using ExpressScribe...
Aug 22, 2011

Hi there! I've been using ExpressScribe for my Infinity USB pedal, but I can't stand it!  I'm used to being able to tap the middle pedal once and it automatically rewinds a few seconds, know what I mean?  So far I can only get ExpressScribe to rewind by pushing a different pedal, and I don't like how long it takes, and how inconsistent that is.  So... 1.)  Does anyone know how to change the settings to tap-and-rewind for ES? Or... 2.)  Does an ...

Are There Any Good Quality Fairly Inexpensive Alternatives To ExpressScribe?
Sep 28, 2013

Was given some sample dictation to listen to and could play it on Google Chrome and it sounded very clear, but when I played it with Express Scribe (even using the special audio processes) it sounded a lot worse - more like in a tin can and a bit scratchy. For the "real" dictation, I'll have to use ExpressScribe or some other player. Thanks for the suggestions. ...

I Can't Take It Anymore!!
Jan 18, 2010

I have had 6 (SIX!) reports come through, all having the same mush-mouthed, fast talking, whispering, ESL doctor.  Oh, and the sing-song thing is really about to make me blow my stack. I swear, he is so bad that I can't even understand the patient's name!!!! I am going to pull my hair out.  Yep, I feel it coming.  It takes me forever just to get through ONE of his reports.  He gets so many blanks that I honestly feel sorry for the QA person that end ...

Not An MT Anymore!!
Apr 25, 2011

Working at .075 cpl for ScribeRight I made a whopping 12K in 2009. Wow - let's all run out and take MT classes to jump on that bandwagon.  Anyway, I quit my MTSO pimp and went to work for a well-known Italian restaurant chain in 2010. I work in the kitchen 6 hours a day for 5 days a week (Mon-Fri lunch shift with no nighttime or weekend shifts) and make about 15% more than I did as an MT. I am not an IC anymore but rather an employee, so I saved a bunch on my social ...

I Just Don't Know Anymore
Feb 27, 2012

My bubble has been burst.  I was with eTransPlus when the Q swallowed them up and then I left.  Now, I'm with another MTSO and it's awful.  I've only been MTing for 5 years.  I was an office nurse (LPN) for 13 years before that and I wanted a change.  My first job was with a great company and then the huge acct I was on was bought out by an MTSO, so I had the choice of being laid off or going to IC status.  I chose to be laid off thinking I could draw ...

I Can't Do This Anymore
Aug 01, 2013

I just cannot do this anymore with MMmodal.  I cannot sit here for 14 hours a day for 800 lines.  I am completely broke, have no food in the house, and am more depressed than I have ever been in my entire life.  I'm in a constant state of panic, have been sending out applications and resumes, but am so far in the hole financially I will never get out.  I just don't understand how a company can do this to people and live with what they are doing.  I cannot even ...

I Cant Take It Anymore. What Can We Do
Aug 29, 2013

Reading these posts, watching women post about how to work the system to keep their piddly minimum wage/unemployment coming in while MM finds yet another way to screw us over.  It makes me sick to think of what we have become.  The experience we have, the expertise we are still expected to have, and yet we sit here discussing how to keep getting our minimum freakin wage. Do you not all see how WRONG THIS IS?  All we do is complain, or let them beat us down until we quit. How is i ...

Sorry, I Can't Take This Anymore!
Mar 03, 2014

The endless berating of my work and the poverty level wages that go with it are more than I can deal with anymore.  I'd take a job doing most anything to get out of this drudgery.  Unfortunately with years of doing this, it's hard to even get a job at a hamburger joint! ...

Seriously VR? You're Not Even Trying Anymore...
May 17, 2014

2 in 1 day: VR: scrotal tenderness s/b: throat tenderness (the patient was female!) VR: no tomatoes s/b: no organomegaly I have to laugh at this job or else I'll cry. Geez! ...