A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Falling Asleep - caninemom3

Posted: Apr 17, 2012

Hello everyone.

This is kind of a silly question but I was wondering, what do some of you do when you are working and you get sleepy ??  I find that this is a constant problem for me.  I drink coffee,  pop and whatever to boost myself but find that it just has to go away on its own.   I would really appreciate any tips some of you may have found helpful.

Thank you so much !

Me too!!! - Angie

[ In Reply To ..]
I've tried everything and nothing works! I need help as well. I've tried MIO energy supplement, 5-hour energy, No-Doz, crystal light energy this week-non of them work for me! Caffeine doesn't do it. I need a kick of something.

I get sleepy, too. What I do is... - PJ

[ In Reply To ..]
splash cold water on my face and then go back to work or slap my face to wake myself up. If nothing else will work, I set an alarm for 5 minutes that I have to physically get up and turn off, and then I lie down on my couch and take a 5-minute power nap. When I take a power nap, I am usually good for another 2 hours. Of course, it may be different in your situation, but I have found power naps to be invaluable when working a 3rd shift. I just subtract each 5-minute power nap break from my regular break time or work that many more minutes at the end of my scheduled shift. I've never taken more than three 5-minutes power naps in any given shift, so I am only adding up to 15 minutes at the end of the shift. I also will sometimes use my regular break to sleep for a 1/2 hour and then I will eat my meal at my desk instead of using the break time to eat.

Hope this helps. I know it is a terrible feeling to be falling asleep at your desk and have to relisten to an entire report because you can't remember where you were when you started to zone out. I find that I do not get nearly as sleepy on my straight typing account as I do on my SR account.

Good luck!

I have that problem when editing VR. And don't - you hate it when - (sm)- Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
you can't stay conscious while trying to edit, so you finally say okay, I'm going to just take a quick nap so I can shake this sleepiness and get back to work. You lie down on the sofa, or in bed, and then your mind is now fully awake and racing, and.... you can't sleep! So, you get back up, go sit down at the computer again, and...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

YES!!! Wow, I am so glad I'm not alone. --nm - PJ

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I'd like to try that "5-Hour Energy" stuff, but it's - kind of on the pricey side. (nm)-Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

What Do People Do For The Falling-asleep Backside?
Mar 10, 2011

Apparently I have finally completely squished down the (fairly substantial) padding on my chair, with my even-more-substantial weight.... It's a good chair otherwise, and considering what we get paid these days, I am not interested in replacing it. So, who can make some suggestions for something to put between me and the seat? Height will not be an issue; my desk is high, and the chair is a highly-adjustable drafting stool. TIA.  :) ...

Literally Was Falling Asleep While Typing Just Now...
Dec 20, 2011

Was just falling asleep while transcribing a report.  I kept nodding off.  I had to rewind quite a few times to see what I may have missed.  I usually don't have this problem, but I went to bed really late and had to get up earlier than usual so didn't get the sleep I normally do.  What is a good wake up remedy?  ...

Dictator Fell Asleep
Jan 15, 2013

Just had a report where the dictator fell asleep and started snoring! ...

Bottom Keeps Falling Out
Aug 23, 2011

I'm surprised to see how each week seems to bring new job postings on here for lower and lower wages, even for IC's, where some have posted effective line rates (once you figure in a minimum of 15% for withholding) of 2.5 to 6 cents per line. It's like there is a game of chicken going on.  Employers keep lowering the bar on pay, and MTs keep migrating to the few jobs that still pay decently.  Eventually something has to give - either there will be no one left doing the ...

The Axe Is Falling On Middle Managers?
Jan 08, 2015

I just read a rather crypic e-mail which indicates this is the case, though no clear reason was given as to why.  It may be that at least some of the TSMs knew this was coming, which is why some of them have been so unpleasant lately.   ...

Falling On Deaf Ears
Jun 19, 2015

x ...

FIESA - Score Was Falling Over The Last Two Weeks
Oct 02, 2014

Really look into your FIESA because I could not figure out why my score was falling over the last two weeks or so. I got to looking and it is not even me. I have been being charged with errors and graded on another person's mistake. I was very worried and could not figure out what was going on. I let my TSM know and I will spend hours now trying to get everything reversed. It is worth it though because we are graded on this not only by ourselves but also as a team through your TSM. It ...

The Sky Is Falling – College Closes Medical Transcription Program – MTSO Cut Out As
Nov 05, 2010

The sky is falling !!! Anyone else see this?  Is this an aberration or a portent of the direction Medical Transcription is heading?    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 College ends medical transcription program Recently Delhi University announced its Medical Transcription Program, for the first time, was producing better transcriptionists in India including South Asia.  In the meantime, San Juan College is closing its Medical Transcription Program stating that there is les ...