A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you ever find some dictator voices so annoying - that its actually fascinating to listen to? sm

Posted: Jan 11, 2015

The ones who stutter, or lisp (both of which I despise), or sound like they're whispering through locked lips. 

Some days it's so strange it fascinates me more than annoys me. 

Yep - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I have one dictator who sounds like she should be about 110 or something, sounds like it's such a major effort to say words at all, hard to listen to. I googled her & found out she's only 40 years old. No clue why somebody that young would have such an incredibly old-sounding voice.

I enjoy listening to different accents - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have always had a pretty easy time with foreign doctors. I live in the Northeast US, and it was really difficult for me to get used to Southern US accents. I enjoy listening to them, but they have been the most difficult for me so far. My husband is from California, and I'm originally from NY (near Canada), and we always have to laugh about the words we pronounce differently. Just recently we realized we say the word "sorry" differently. He says "sarry," and I say it more like "sore-y." He says beg like baig, and I say it more like b-eg. There are several other differences we have noticed. I think different accents are interesting. :)

Accents - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm from the South originally (but have lived all over the US), and returned 15 years ago. I left MT a few months ago and started working at the local hospital. I swear, for the LIFE of me, I cannot understand most of these people! Most are pretty well educated, but I can look them right in the face and concentrate, and I have no idea what they're saying. It's as if they never learned to articulate. They seem to understand each other just fine, so it's a little embarrassing!

OMG yes!! There's this one lady doctor... sm - ANMT

[ In Reply To ..]
...who sounds like she is constipated and straining with every word!! LOL!!

Most interesting doctor I ever had - Toni

[ In Reply To ..]
The most interesting was this neuropsychiatrist who had Tourette's. It was actually pretty hilarious because he would come up with the strangest verbal tics at the strangest times - including after describing one of his patients as being extremely depressed, he started laughing uproariously. But it was just one of the many sound effects I was treated to.

Can't quit laughing - over your post

[ In Reply To ..]
This will wake me up in the middle of the night laughing...

Oh my gosh - Still laughing 15 minutes later

[ In Reply To ..]
How cathartic! A real belly laugh, too. Gosh, I really needed that. :)

I have one surgeon who, after each sentence - will state

[ In Reply To ..]
PEEERIOD! Not just "period" but "PEEERIOD!" Other than that quirk he is pretty good.

When I started working at a hospital 12 years ago - Mt

[ In Reply To ..]
My boss warned me about one foreign physician who states "paragraph" after each sentence. She said when she was new to them, many thought it sounded like "pig graft." :) lol

Similar Messages:

I Find It Annoying - Sm
Sep 19, 2013

I find it extremely annoying when finally I start to feel like I have enough work on a daily basis for a several-week stretch only to find the account manager has decided to "rearrange the pools" and put more MTs to a pool with fewer docs in the pool.  When I E-mail my account manager and ask for more work, my E-mails go unanswered.  So I bite the bullet, go with the flow, play the "sit-and-wait" game, and when I get new resident dictating for an attending and have to send the job to Q ...

I WAS So Proud Of Those Raising Their Voices BUT NOW
Apr 23, 2012

I have edited this message to just let each of you read what was posted and feel proud or disappointed in the responses. ...

Annoying!
Jun 20, 2014

Mr. Dictator: You do not need to repeat your name and spell it twice, dictate the patient's name and spell it twice, along with repeating the MR# twice before dictating your procedure, then do it all over again at the end of the procedure! Geez, I get it.. Last job of the day, thank goodness! ...

OMG! This May Just Be The Most Annoying Thing
Oct 20, 2010

that I have had in a dictation, and I am sure that the dictator (PA-C)  is annoyed as well.  It's always annoying when she chitty-chats with the "girls in the office" while dictating, but in this dictation, one of the girls is mocking back everything the dictator says and continues to do so, after a little chuckle from dictator each time, to the point where the dictator finally has to tell her that this is important, it is for an attorney and she cannot mess it up.  ...

Can We Please Be Done With The Annoying Snowflakes?
Dec 05, 2012

x ...

Can We Possibly Get Rid Of The Annoying WalMart Ad....
Aug 06, 2013

.....that "follows" us? ...

Super Annoying....fiesa
Jul 02, 2014

It seems lately I have had a lot of corrections where they are removing what I have typed and marking as [UNCLEAR].  I am not getting dinged, but the reason this is bothering me so much is because they are doctors I am familiar with and know what they say.  It's not like a skip is happening and I'm adding in something. There are dictating, not always the best dictations, but because I'm familiar with them I know what it is. Makes me feel like I don't know what I� ...

Annoying Ding Sound
Jan 15, 2015

Silly question--just got a new monitor and now have this "ding" sound on finishing a chart.  Can't remember how to remove it.  Any ideas? ...

Shorthand Annoying Glitch
Feb 09, 2015

Hi.....using Dell, windows 7 pc, word 2013, and shorthand.    I like the feature on shorthand that you can check so that it uses the clipboard to dump shorthand entries into the text field on word 2013.  I  have some really long templates and when I use this form of text transfer (clipboard) on shorthand, it almost immediately dumps the template into my report.   BUT, then a glitch occurs on all other entries.  for instanct I have   pt for patient  a ...

I HATE OP NOTES. SURGEONS ARE VERY ANNOYING TO
Jan 26, 2010

LISTEN TO.  THEY RATTLE NINETY TO NOTHING THROUGH AN OPERATIVE REPORT.  JUST BECAUSE THEY SAY THE SAME THINGS EVERY TIME DOES NOT MEAN THE SAME PERSON ALWAYS GETS THAT TRANSCRIPTION AND AUTOMATICALLY KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE SAYING.  THEY NEED TO SLOW DOWN AND REALIZE THERE IS A REAL PERSON ON THE OTHER END OF THAT STUPID MACHINE THEY'RE TALKING INTO.  RUDE, RUDE, RUDE.  THAT'S ABSOLUTELY ALL YOU CAN SAY ABOUT THEM!!!!!!!!!! ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

How To Turn Off The Annoying Loud "ding Sound"at End Of Dictation/spell Check.
Nov 22, 2011

I thought there was a way to make that annoying ding sound at the end of the dictation when spell check is complete to sound softer.  I have Windows XP.  I keep looking in the control panel but it does not seem familiar to me as to the way I used to do it.  In some reports if the dictator talks low and then when you reach the end it blasts out my eardrum.  TIA. ...

Annoying "corrections."
Jan 05, 2014

I had a fairly short note that was easy - and correct - except for a couple of lab terms I wasn't sure of because the dictator slurred over them.  Wanting the report to be correct, I submitted it to QA in the hope that the "smarter" QA person would hear the lab terms and fill them in.  Ha!  She didn't know either, but instead went through and "corrected" things that didn't need correcting, I'm sure in order to justify her job.   No more will ...

Get Away From Dictator
Dec 28, 2009

Does anybody know how long a report stays in our specific work pool?  I've done a break on a report hoping to get rid of it.  But it keeps showing back up.  I'm trying to make up some sick time, but I just can't understand this garble and have already spent way too much time trying to decipher it.  I've been checking on and off for the last 30 minutes and it keeps showing back up.  Help!!!! ...

Ever Had A Dictator So Bad.......
Apr 25, 2011

you wanted to quit mid shift?????  Sigh.  I had one of those yesterday.  Everytime I see his name come up in my cue I cringe!!!!  He is horrible.  Horrible accent.  I did notice though after doing about 3 or 4 of his reports, my ears becames "trained" on him and I get better with him as time went by.  But still, he is one that just makes my momentum (sp) drop drastically!  Just venting!!!  Thanks for letting me share. ...

Please Somebody Tell This Dictator
Apr 04, 2012

that he does NOT have to say "next sentence" before every sentence.  I'm looking at 16+ minutes of this.....I'm just sayin! ...

Help!!!! Dictator Wants You To Cancel
Dec 03, 2009

What do you do if you are typing on a document for 780 seconds and the dictator at the very end tells you to cancel this and erase everything because she already dictated it?  In all my years I was lucky enough not to get this until now.  I was thinking about sending it in anyway because I just spent all this time on it!!!! ...

This ASR Dictator Is Killing Me!
Dec 06, 2009

This doctor says "ah" inbetween just about every other word.  So I'm spending all my time in the ASR taking out a bunch of "a's"!!! Wouldn't normally ah vent, but I've ah had her a lot ah today! ...

I Clearly Hear The Dictator Say
Jan 26, 2010

Coumadin 30 mg per day. Now, I want to make sure I'm not dreaming here, but that is completely incorrect, right? Maybe I'm having a brain lapse (been an MT for 20 years) but I want to make sure my thinking is correct that this dosage would probably be lethal? I'm going to leave a blank for the dosage, but I just wanted to double check with my MT friends.  I have listened to it many times, and she is positively saying "30 mg per day."   TIA!! ...

Help With Labs/ESL Dictator
Mar 01, 2010

This is what it sounds like. "His WBC 11.48, and his 12.4 and 37.0 PT/PTT were normal." It seems like "PT/PTT were normal." Should be a sentence on its own, but then I'm not sure what the 12.4 and 37.0 lab values would be for. Grr... Any help would be greatly appreciated! ...

Dictator Speed
Mar 15, 2010

I am just curious as to what speed setting to most of you keep it on when doing ASR?  I try to keep mine between 8 and 9 unless it's an extremely slow dictator.  I would like to increase my line count, but I'm afraid if I  speed it up too much I might miss something. ...

I Can't Understand What The Dictator Is Saying
Apr 20, 2010

What do you do when you absolutely cannot understand what the dictator is saying and you work at home on your own.  Can you call the dictator?  Can you request to review the other medical records because chances are, the dictator is saying the same thing that appear on those records? ...

Jerk Dictator
Jun 14, 2010

ESL dictator with very thick accent states:  ...for antibiotic management.  NOT with antibiotic management.  Please learn to transcribe correctly.  Although it wasn't me who made the mistake, it was all I could do to not put in the QA note:  A female is SHE and male is HE and it is vomit not WOMIT, please learn to dictate correctly.  I so wish it was okay to put QA notes to the dictators. ...

Yawning Dictator
Jun 17, 2010

This ANP who is dictating can't make up her mind what she wants to say and constantly corrects herself and then keeps yawning, but doesn't stop the recording or even stop speaking while she's yawning.  It's annoying me PLUS it's making me sleepy now myself. More coffee, please!!!! ...

Dictator Spelled F U B L A R.
Jun 24, 2010

Hemostasis was maintained with a bipolar and fublar.  Dictator spelled FUBLAR, but pronounced as FIBiLAR, or more accurately, FIB-YOU-LAIR.   ...

Dictator Pet Peeve
Oct 12, 2010

I know this is petty, but for some reason, it grates on my nerves to hear:  blah, blah Period space space.   Or Colon space space enter.  I mean, please, are we considered that incompentent?  but on the other end of the spectrum we have those that don't say any punctuation, which is absolutely fine, but a pause would be nice.  It's not necessary to dictate a whole report in one breath. ...

Ever Wish You Could Call An ESL Dictator
Oct 30, 2010

on the phone to correct their grammer? I have this one who always says "chynosis" for cyanosis and "catheterism" for catheterization.  It was funny at first, but now very irritating!  Thanks for the vent. ...

Dictator Leaves Off Mg
Jan 23, 2011

What is the rule on filling in mg or mcg, etc., if the dictator just says "Lasix 20."  (if the account is not verbatim, should this always be filled in by the transcriptionist?) Thanks! ...

Sleepy Dictator
Mar 26, 2011

Just need to vent about my ESL doc who decided at 11 last night he needed to dictate all of his H&Ps for the week.  He's not very good at his best but his yawning is giving me tons of blanks and it drives me crazy not being able to get it, so have to listen 20 times to try to get one extra word, which of course takes much longer than his 5 minutes of dictation should require!  Really wish he would pick a weekday to talk since I only do weekends for this hospital! ...

Help Please With Russian Dictator ....
Dec 23, 2011

Dictated ... "EGD that allowed chronic GERD, with small total chronic S/L destoration"   I have tried to hear chronic ulceration but that is not it. Does anyone else have a clue, please?   Thanks in advance! ...