A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Collecting unemployment from MTSO? - heartbroken

Posted: Jan 20, 2011

I have never in my life been on unemployment and have NO idea how it works.  If I live in a different state than my MTSO is, does ANYONE know how this works?  What I need to do first?  Do I call my state unemployment or their state unemployment? 

How does this process work?

lost....

You contact your state unemployment - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
In most states, you can file via the internet. Do a Google search for "unemployment" and the name of your state, and it should direct you to the DOL site for instructions. Sorry to hear that you need this information. Good luck to you!

Call your UC office right away and get the process going. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]

As you know, each state's rules are different and if you were truly an IC, you may not get unemployment.  Call your UC office now!!! 

I'm waiting several weeks now on mine, keep being told each week that there's a question of eligibility and come to find out, my company has to respond to a letter and describe exactly what work I do to determine if I am an IC by the state's definition.  What a pain in the tutu. 

I'd say IC, if I only work this particular account a total of maybe 10-15 hours a month.  Duh? 

Plus, depends if you're in one state and your MTSO is in another, what their state rules are for UC and if they even pay UC taxes, how much it is.    oh man, it's all a tangled mess. 

Also, don't hang all your hopes on UC for money,  you might not qualify.

I'm sorry you're going thru this.  It's a major hassle.  Much worse than 30+ years ago when I used it. 

Collecting UE - xMTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you an employee?

If so, then go to your state portal and you should find the online application for UE.

Did you work for this MTSO last year?

Hopefully, your MTSO has been paying UE in the state in which you live. If not, you have to go after the state the MTSO business is in for them to pay you UE. (Just went through an entire drawn-out process over this.)

In my state (PA) your UE amount is based on the last 4 quarters you worked, so the amount you would receive if you lived in PA would be based on this quarter in 2010.

Most applications are very easy to fill out and you go on every other week and complete a questionnaire and that's it in most instances.

Just so you know, though, it can take up to 6 weeks or so to actually start getting any money.

May vary by state, but this is how it worked for me. - destinyisntfree

[ In Reply To ..]
I had to do this this past year. I live in Florida, and here you file with the state you reside in. The company I worked for was in another state entirely. The rules regarding unemployment are quite strict, though. You have to have been terminated or laid off, not quit, and the list of reasons for termination allowable is very short. For example, they will allow UEC for absenteeism, but not job abandonment, so it will depend on how the MTSO words things, and that can be tricky.

Similar Messages:

Collecting Unemployment
Apr 02, 2015

IF they fire me for performance management, 3 noncritcal/minor errors in a 6 months time, can I collect unemployment?  I argue the first time right document rule.  Given new accounts (which I have no issue with) but to learn what these mumbling physicians say and then penalized for it is beyond me versus showing me my errors and allowing me to correct and move forward.  You would think a 14 year employee would be given kudos versus threatening termination.    ...

Collecting Unemployment Questions
Nov 02, 2011

I signed up for unemployment , but I am unclear how to collect.  I am allowed so much money per week and we get paid biweekly.  They told me to divide my pay in half, but that does not seem right to me.  I may have work one week and not the next.  I was wondering how others figure it out.  This is my first time filing.  Any tips would be great.  The bills are starting to go unpaid, unfortunately unemployment will help, but not pay all of them. This is horrible ...

After 9 Months Of Unemployment My Previous MTSO (sm)
Mar 19, 2011

has rehired me.  Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing info about the MTSOs they worked for, job leads, etc.  I am praying for all who still need a job. ...

Has Anyone Else Had Problems With Collecting UE.
Mar 06, 2013

I had the unemployment office call and are disputing a lousy 14 bucks, because they don't understand how we get paid.  They can keep it.  I told them the amount of benefit they are offering is so small anyway that nobody can live off of that, but when your pay is so small that is what they base it from.  It is maddening.  I am looking for full time work elsewhere, but nowadays you put in an application online and you don't hear back.  I even went to the unemplo ...

Collecting Data
Dec 20, 2014

If you ever chance to use Ctrl S for past reports, please check statistics.  LMK if you see something "outta whack."  Got my own screen shots (without patient name), would suggest you do the same. ...

Wondering If Many Of You Have Applied For Or Are Collecting Partial (sm)
Feb 14, 2014

unemployment.  This is now the end of 3rd week with production next to nothing.  I have very little time around my schedule to make up time but when I can I still find it very sporadic and so I am reluctant to make time to do that.  Thankfully I was able to go without pay or very little for the first 2 weeks but now I'm worried.  DH has agreed that we could use our tax return to supplement our income and really wants me to just up and quit.  I am miserable ...

Unemployment Pay For ICs?
Dec 30, 2010

Wondering....was forced to change from statutory employee to IC status with federal ID number instead of SS# when MDI-MD was rolled into Transcend.  Now, Transcend informs that they are NOT going to be employing ICs after Jan 1, 2011. Would like to apply for unemployment, but am being told by a number of people that is not do-able because wages were paid under Federal ID #, not to my social and I signed an IC contract (under great duress, I might add!) Anybody have experience with this, ca ...

Unemployment ??
Aug 01, 2011

Has anyone applied for unemployment when you have run out of work? Just wondering, you can - even if you have work on and off, but not enough, depending on what your state requirements are.  I can no longer survive like this anymore, work then no work - I have only made 100.00 in a week and a half.  Anyone in this occupation should be able to be retrained through EDD as this job is disappearing and we are being taken advantage of ....... Just won ...

Where Does Unemployment Come From If....
Oct 16, 2011

If you live in 1 state and work at home but your employer is located in another state, which state pays your unemployment?  My state pays relatively low but if I am able to collect from my employer's state, I would receive slightly more money per week.  Anyone have any experience with this?   ...

Unemployment In CA-do You Go Through CA?
Apr 15, 2013

I am being told I have to go through TN since MModal is located there. ...

Unemployment FYI: If You Even Think, You Might
Oct 05, 2013

Start getting paperwork documentation in order NOW.  Here's hoping you don't need it, but you will be that much further ahead if you do.   Even if you're not at risk of being fired, laid off could be possible and you would still need this. It could be at least 21 days from the time the question arose, before you receive an answer about benefits.  If your case is complicated in any way, it will take longer. Try as hard as you can to save up at least 2, if not ...

Unemployment
Dec 23, 2014

Does anyone know if you would be eligible for unemployment if you get terminated because you are not "meeting contractual obligations" i.e. LPH/QA?   ...

Factoids On Unemployment
Dec 27, 2009

Some of you may know some or all of this about unemployment from the "employer's" perspective but here goes.  I just spoke to my brother who is the CEO of his very successful business, with only a handful of employees, but he is looking on netting over 1 mil. next year (!)  Anyway, he lives and works in California.  He told me that if someone applies for disability, the state contacts him to hear his point-of-view.  They tell him why the employee has filed, and he has a ...

Partial Unemployment?
Feb 16, 2010

Anyone had luck in getting partial unemployment as a PT employee?  I have a record of all NJA which does not happen every day but at least a few times each month. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me About Unemployment After Spheris Buy Out?
Mar 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me if I were to survive the MQ buy out and was actually hired by MQ but "things" changed quite a bit, would I be eligible to draw unemployment? ...

Probation And Unemployment
Sep 15, 2010

Does anyone know if you can collect unemployment if it doesn't work out with a company while you are on probation?  In other words, you do your 90 days and either you or the company decides it did not work out.  Can you then recieve unemployment?  Thanks!  ...

Unemployment Issues
Nov 10, 2011

Has anyone ever been offered a job and accepted offer letter only to turn it down and actually not start working at all at the company and then filing for unemployment benefits?  This is what has happened to me.   This happened to me and now evidently it threw up a red flag to unemployment benefits audit department.   Now unemployment has to check with that company I was supposed to start at to verify employment and now I have a 50-50 chance of getting benefits and have to wait a ...

Unemployment When No Work?
Jan 02, 2012

As usual with the holidays, I've not had work 3 days now. Does anyone know if I can draw unemployment? Has anyone working for MQ been able to draw benefits when there's days with no work? Any help would be appreciated.  ...

UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE
May 29, 2012

NO WORK CONTINUES.....Time for ALL of us who are being cheated out of a living to head for the unemployment office.  How many folks out there will say TODAY...no more?? ...

Unemployment Benefits
Jun 18, 2012

So much fun filing for partial unemployment.  Have to send in weekly gross wages, which MMODAL say they can't let me know that until 3 days before payday, which does not work, as I have to report WEEKLY or I lose benefits for that one week.  Just have to guesstimate what I earned by line counts straight and VR, but can't figure shift differential or what they screw you out of if you send too many QAs.  I've reported this to ESD and let them handle it. Tired of messi ...

Can An IC Collect Unemployment?
Sep 22, 2012

YES!!!!!!!! Ladies and gentlemen there IS hope! Because my employer dictated my hours per week, per day and the time I was to work unemployment considered that to be an employee status and NOT IC even though they didn't pay my taxes. This was the decision made after my prior employer appealed my unemployment benefits from them. Please keep the faith that these companies who try to dictate to IC's their hours, ect will NOT get away with it forever! I wish you'all the best of ...

Can I Apply For Unemployment Though I Have Sm
Dec 04, 2012

been working as an IC? Don't know anything about it and just got laid off.  Thx   ...

Anyone Out There Applied For Unemployment And Gotten It?
Dec 04, 2012

Has anyone out there applied for unemployment and gotten it that had been considered a statutory employee? ...

Retraining Through Unemployment?
Dec 12, 2012

Wondering if any long-term MTs are out there that have had problems since going to SR have gotten fired and qualified for retraining through unemployment?  In the 14 years I was a MT before SR my quality was never below 99%, always well above required lines.  I guess I just cannot read as well as I can type.  I have even seen my doctor, who says that since reading uses a different part of the brain than typing, it's possible that I have had ADD and was never bothered until th ...

Unemployment Applications
Dec 27, 2012

thinks it is odd to be glad there is one person employed whose duties are to work hard to deny as many unemployment applications for softscript as they can?  applications that were made for unemployment due to NJA/OOW http://forum.mtstars.com/448985.html at softscript it is not just about PROCESSING the applications but working to make sure they are denied. just wondering if the OP is still glad that person has a job. one person has a job at the expense of many, many who do not. i do ...

Unemployment Appeal Concerning TTS
Mar 01, 2013

just wanted to share that I won my Unemployment appeal concerning TTS.  They have to pay me retroactive to Dec.  Finally good news, almost makes me want to continue to do MT work ...

If Unemployment Tell You That You Can't Receive
Mar 27, 2013

unemployment because you got fired and makes you feel like a criminal, what am I supposed to do? I live in Ohio, but I did live in Florida and Ohio told me I have to call Florida to finish up my benefits, but Florida told me that they have to investigate my case and that I can't receive unemployment anyway because I got fired.I have no hope now and I will be homeless if they don't help me. I don't know, what do I do? ...

Layoff And Unemployment
Apr 04, 2013

beyond smarmy, they terminated the part time MTs because when they apply for unemployment (and they are without question able to get it because their jobs were eliminated) they will find the govt will document the last five quarters of their employment and base their rate of pay on a percentage of that.  This will probably reflect a very low rate of unemployment insurance compensation that no one can live on, and thus not apply for unemployment.  BUT if enough people do get unemploymen ...

Unemployment Benefits??
Aug 16, 2013

Since we were paid by the report and not per line or hourly in radiology, are we entitled to unemployment benefits? ...

What Are The Reasons One Would Not Get Unemployment?
Sep 06, 2013

n/a ...