A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Cell phone dictation barely audible - Elssa

Posted: Jul 24, 2012

I just had the worst cell phone dictation in my life, about 6 pages long, barely audible, lots of static, and there's more to come now.  I wrote a note to the hospital, but I'm sure it'll be ignored.  Anyone have any luck complaining about this?  It's a nightmare.

Yes, I have luck. Address it as a serious risk management issue-sm - just me#1

[ In Reply To ..]
Contact them addressing this as a serious risk management issue, which it is. If necessary, forward the dictation as well. Explain to them not only risks and potential errors, but the fact that it seriously affects your TAT and then warn them of the additional expense it takes to produce this. Trust me, charging at at least 4 cpl above your rate will get their attention. I also tell my clients I charge 35-40 cpl for VOIP, which is even worse than cell. My service contracts with all clients specifically state land line.

cell phone - elssa

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks, but I work for an MTSO, and they don't seem to care too much about these dictation problems that we have to deal with. Not much I can do on my own, I guess.

risk management issue... - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
By risk management issue, I meant that the dictators do not pay attention on cell phones and make numerous mistakes... from dictating on the incorrect patient to starting an operative report but then dictating an entirely different report or numerous mistakes in it. Nothing to do with actual phone security but accuracy

Cell phone dictation :( - Elssa

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, just came off of trying to transcribe several reports of a doctor with a very thick French accent, dictating on a cell phone, and am totally aggravated and disgusted. I have to leave over 10 blanks with dictation like that - It's just not audible, and when you can hear anything, it's so distorted that it's not understandable. Don't they realize the problem caused by the cell phone, or do they just not care if their reports look like Swiss cheese?

It is my understanding this was a blazing HIPAA violation - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
on the part of the dictator and facility. Why wouldn't it be, cellphones are not that secure. I add this information via pend notes when it happens. Guess the powers that be can do what they want with that information, but I like to cover my fanny.

Cell phone dictation is NOT a HIPAA violation. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Virtually any telephone - wired or wireless - can be tapped, and in fact it is much easier to "bug" a telephone line than it is to intercept modern cell signals. In other words, any amateur can purchase a phone line tap online for about $25 and installation requires no expertise. Not so with cell phone signals.

Not an expert, but I think the security issue is - FBL

[ In Reply To ..]
with the fact that the hospital cannot secure the location where the phone is used, thus exposing personally identifiable information to nearby strangers who may overhear or be eavesdropping. Dictation is supposed to take place in a secure, protected area.
I hold several HIPAA certs and have been a HC privacy officer. - cell phone dictation is NOT a violation.
[ In Reply To ..]
No message. (There's nothing else to say.)
Would you like your records being dictated on a cell phone? - IAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
If it isn't a HIPAA violation, it surely should be! Actually have witnessed docs wandering around the hospital halls dictating and would most likely assume there was PHI given, wouldn't ya think? I believe it certainly is a security issue in all respects with the doc dictating while driving. Sure can't hear over the train whistles or crossing bells when they hit that railroad crossing either. I wondered why the audio was so terribly bad until I did hear the train though. Good grief. Wonder if docs still dictate while driving in the states where that is against the law. I don't want my records dictated from a cell phone and sure don't want to be driving in the same area where a doc is dictating while driving. Maybe not a HIPAA violation, but certainly common sense is not rampant in docs that do dictation by cell phone.

ACTUALLY CELL PHONE DICTATION CAN BE A HIPAA VIOLATION! - longtime_mt

[ In Reply To ..]
https://suite.io/jennifer-groepl/3rtb2h3

Anyone who has attended any HIPAA training whatsoever would recognize CELL PHONE dictation and any other MOBILE dictation posses a violation to the HIPAA laws!
Phone Dictation Might Not Be HIPAA Violation but that does not make it secure! - RT
[ In Reply To ..]
Phone dictations (including cell phone dictation) might not be a clear cut HIPAA violation, yet it does not make it any less risky from causing a security breach or affecting the Integrity of PHI of a patient. All types of phone connections can be hacked into and the most vulnerable is VoIP

Similar Messages:

Cell Phone Dictation :p
Jul 21, 2012

I know someone recently talked about this here, but just thought I'd ask how common is this now?  My last account, which I lost to offshoring, had about 5% cell phone dictators, but this new account seems to have over 20%.  It's driving me crazy - tearing my hair out - almost bald at this point.  :P    ...

Cell Phone Dictation
Sep 28, 2012

What do you do when you have a bunch of dictators who are using cell phones, causing you to leave a bunch of spaces,  and your MTSO refuses to address the problem? ...

Best Clients Ever. He Just Redictated A Cell Phone Dictation
Apr 02, 2012

I have the nicest clients ever. After contacting office staff that the physician's dictation was problematic due to the cell phone used, the physician redictated this on a landline. Wow! Nicest ever! I thought I was going to be up all night deciphering this, as this particular cell phone recorded extremely bad. He did not even wait for the prior to come in with potential blanks but redictated it. This is the same client I have that reinstalled their landline after installing a VOiP system t ...

Cell Phone Dictations
Dec 29, 2012

As long as you (doc) dictate on a cell phone, I PROMISE to leave blanks in your reports!!  RIDICULOUS!  This company does not pay us enuf to struggle through that crap.  Blankity, blank, blank, blank... ...

Anyone Get Their Cell Phone Discount?
May 19, 2014

I signed up back in February because supposedly Mmodal through JP Morgan was offering discounts on cell phone plans. They sent an email directing us to the website that is being used currently for the MT week stuff. I signed up and was supposed to receive 25% off but it is now May and I am still waiting to see a difference on my bill. Was this a joke? Was this only for corporate people? ...

Cell Phone Discount
May 22, 2014

Does anyone know if Verizon offers us a discount? TIA ...

Cell Phone Discount Thru MModal
May 22, 2014

I saw a post on here the other day regarding discounts thru MModal thru JP Morgan and immediately called my cell phone carrier.  I had to give them my work email so they could verify.  I did have to change the cell phone bill into my name, which meant getting a new account.  It took quite a while, but worth it as I was eligible for a 23% discount on my data package, which they say is the most expensive part of the bill.  Hey, any savings nowadays is worth an hour on the ...

How Do You Report A Doctor For Dictating On A Cell Phone?
Jan 04, 2010

He's been told and told not to do this and he still does it.  Isn't that  HIPAA violation, since cell phones are not secure? ...

Phone-in Dictation
Jan 03, 2013

I would like to know what is a good company to get a phone-in dictation system from and the cheapest that will work for my business?  ...

Phone-In Dictation Service
Mar 22, 2010

Has anyone ever used one of these services:  idigital call-in dictation or Atom live digital dictation?  I may have a chance to get an account, but I would have to have the ability to have the doctors call in to dictate.  I'm only set up for one at a time now and need the capability of having more than one doctor calling in at a given time.  Any other ideas?  I'd appreciate any info.  Thanks!   ...

Dictation By Phone In Berkley, MI
Dec 03, 2010

I am looking for information on Dictation by Phone in Berkley, MI.  I see they pay late sometimes.  Anything else? ...

Android Phone Dictation App
Jun 11, 2012

Fellow MTs, I am researching dictation apps for an Android phone.  I am familiar with Pocket Dictate Mobile Voice Recorder by NCH Software for the I-phone which doesn't appear to be compatible with Android yet.  I am looking for a similar app for Android phone. Any recommendations will be appreciated. ...

Does Anyone Still Use Those Phone-in Dictation Machines?
Nov 02, 2012

I'm resigned to the fact that I will not be working anymore and there's no sense having this thing hanging around collecting dust. ...

I'm Barely Getting 400 Lines Per Day And........
Dec 14, 2010

they're hiring more people. I've worked for this company for seven years and we have new QA folks who obviously are sending work to others and odds are it's the others that are making less. ...

I Can Barely Sit Here And Do This VR Crap.
Jun 26, 2012

I have been at this for nearly 3 hours now.  I am so close to just walking.  I have never hated a job as much as I hate this one.  Last pay period, 80 hours, I made $8.51/hour.  Unfricken believable.  After 20 years of making twice that.  Time for another Xanax, seriously. ...

Can Barely Hear Dictations
May 08, 2013

As of yesterday, I can barely hear some of the dictations. Am I the only one? I hate it when I have to struggle to make out what in the hell some rapidly-speaking ESL doctor is saying! ...

Anyone Else At Landmark Barely Have Any Work?
Jan 04, 2014

I'm now working every day at Landmark just to make a little bit of money.  I'm working evenings and weekends, but the work just isn't there like it used to be.  This is a huge account and now I'm stressed out and worried that something is happening.  Ugh, I want out of this career..... ...

Indian Dictators - They Can Barely Speak English
Jul 21, 2012

About half of the dictators from my new account are Indian, most of them mumblers, so I'm going crazy.  They can barely speak English.  Wondering why there are so many Indian dictators here?  ...

Does C-phone Work With Cable Phone Line
May 11, 2015

I am thinking about switching my current phone line and going with a bundle deal for our second house.  Does Dictaphone C-phone work through a cable phone line?  I still have the copper wiring at my primary home because I was afraid to switch it so didn't include the phone service in our cable package there.  Thanks!    ...

Hourly Rate Is Just Barely Above Minimum Wage In My State.
Jul 11, 2014

I am truly at a loss to understand why my pay continues to decline. I thought I already hit rockbottom. I am averaging far, far less than I did 30 years ago. ...

C-phone With Digital Phone Line
Jun 06, 2012

Anyone know if the C-phone will work with a digital phone line ? (I think it's also called a VOiP line).  I'm moving to a new place that has a digital line & don't know if I should have a regular phone line installed instead. Thanks for any help. ...

AT&T Phone That Is NOT A Smart Phone?
Aug 07, 2011

Daughter needs a need phone.  Don't want to have to buy a data plan.  What is NOT a Smart Phone these days, but has a full keyboard for texting?  Thanks. ...

Can Someone Please Take Their Cell Phones Away?
May 05, 2011

I swear she is on a cell phone in a low service area on speaker mode.  Aren't they supposed to dial in on a hospital phone?  At one time a few years back, I thought it was against HIPAA to use cell phones for dictation.  Drives a person nutty. ...

S/l Por-tin-gee Cell Antibodies??
Aug 09, 2011

Help Please!!  ...

C-cell Polyps?
Aug 12, 2011

Is that correct? I'm trying to find "C-cell" definition relating to the colon. ...

2B SNR Cell Carcinoma
Sep 28, 2011

Thanks for any help! ...

Sickle Cell
Mar 31, 2012

Patient has sickle cell disease with frequent vaso-occlusive pain crises... s/l "impressive aloe (spelled by dictator) immunization" in patient with moderate immune hemolytic anemia.  I cannot find a reference for this aloe immunization.  Does anybody have a clue if this is correct?  ...

Cell Phones - Or Whatever.
Jul 17, 2014

This dictator sounds about 70+ and is still using a device that keeps fading out, some kind of cell phone.  Don't they know how bad that is?  Don't they see how many words are missing in their returned reports?  I really think a lot of doctors are ignorant about technology, especially the older ones.   ...

Sickle Cell Thalassemia
Jan 01, 2010

Happy new year all! With or w/o hyphen? Sickle cell thalassemia or sickle-cell thalassemia or sickle cell-thalassemia. Thank You! ...

Super Cell Hemangioma
May 25, 2010

Dr. states "super cell hemangioma resection".  Is there such a thing??  He then talks about eyes.  Thanks! ...