A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Best point of contact (needing clients) - Leaving nest to try and fly

Posted: Oct 24, 2010

I am in the process of starting up a transcription company.  Just want to start off with enough to keep a couple of transcriptionists busy at first.  Going to be contacting clinics and rural hospitals and possibly offer to do overflow for larger facilities.  Who would you contact...the CEO, HIM manager, MR supervisor?  I am at a loss as to who is the best point of contact.  Also, do you think one would do better to send out business cards and introduction letters/pamphlets or would you call?  I would truly appreciate any input from someone who has started his/her own company and can give me some advice on how best to get started as far as contacting and securing a client.  Thanks so much!

going into business - good luck

[ In Reply To ..]
Many years ago, I took a course in transcription. When I was done, I made up a brochure and hand delivered them to different doctors in the area. I took many around and received 2 jobs from that, which I ended up giving up a few years later because I moved and they were pick-up and delivery of reports and too far to travel. Personally, I would do that versus phone calls. Create a well-done brochure, get all prettied up one day and go door-to-door. That way, they get to meet you and see you instead of a non-personal phone call.

I got out of transcription for awhile. I then moved to another state and got a job with a transcription company. Having your own company is more expensive these days. You have to have a lot of equipment because everything, it seems, extra phone lines, etc, as a lot of it is done on-line now and not a lot of doctors are doing tapes anymore. You also have to charge a rate low enough to compete with the big MTSO's. You have to decide whether it is worth it to get into your own business or not.

I am working for a large MTSO now and it is a lot less headaches and expense than having my own business. Along with the expense of the equipment, putting up with all the headaches from the clients, you have to pay more in social security with having your own business. Yes, you do get to write off your business expenses, but when you work for a company in your own home, you get to write a lot of things to write off too, plus pay less social security. I know a lot of people complain about the MTSO's, and rightly so, but things in this business are changing whether we like it or not and we have to flow with it or move on. I don't make a huge line rate, but I am okay with working for someone else instead of having my own business. Things have changed since I first started off doing transcription.

Just a few of my thoughts.

posting links to your own website will no doubt be removed - alias

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not allowed here. Just saying.

oops...got posted under wrong ad...sorry. disregard - alias

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
own business - Beth
[ In Reply To ..]
You definately want to do some good ole one on one marketing and probably ask if there is an office manager then if not, go to HR. You would probably be best to try some small clinics or maybe even urgent care just to get your feet wet and not be taking on more than you can handle. That will also give you a chance to see if it will be worth the headache/s. If it works out for you and you need some help, I am looking for work. lol Just saying. Best of luck to you

Learning BEFORE you go - MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the kind of basic information you should have already learned if you've decided to go into business. The feeling I get is diving in without really understanding what you're getting into. If I've "heard" you wrong, my apologies.

Who you contact depends on the type of facility. In a hospital setting, the HIM director *usually* makes the decision but sometimes is a board that has to vote on things. But to start with HIM director would be who you contact.

In a doctor's office or small clinic, you'd contact the office manager.

Have you already chosen what methods you will use for the physicians to dictate, how you will receive the dictation? How you will return their product? Price points? Payment terms? Have you developed your HIPAA statement? Also included your security officer information? References? Do you know if you will have employees or ICs and if you choose ICs are you sure you are doing so legally? If you are choosing employees, have you applied for your EIN both federal and state? Have you met with an accountant to know what you need to have in place for your accounting purposes? Have you met with an attorney so you understand your liabilities? Have you checked to see if you need a business license in your area? Is transcription taxable in your state (in some states there is state tax on certain service industries)?

Those are the things I'd START with and if you've got all that already decided, then I'd make up a brochure and send it out with a cover letter to all the entities you want to consider. Then after a week or 2, I'd call the larger facilities, cold call the smaller ones and see if you can get a meeting.

Many physician offices and small clinics are using the point-and-click or other similar products for their dictation. Not all, but a lot are.

Good luck! There's a lot to being an MTSO. It's 24/7/365 whether you're sick, happy, sad, talented, untalented, single, married, childless or raising a brood, snow, rain, heat :)

Thank you - Leaving nest to try and fly

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your input! I do have everything else in place (EIN #, 10-year business plan, confidentiality and HIPAA statements, business line, line rates, letter of recommendation, TAT times, etc). I also realize I have to enter into a BAA with my clients.

I really don't want IC status employees but am looking into statutory employees (no benefits but I would pay my portion of the taxes and thus have some control over scheduling).

I have a company I am going to use for method of receiving and sending dictation/transcription (saves me from having to worry about the technical aspect/issues). I truly like what they have to offer. They provide services to other transcription companies who are quite pleased with them.

I have been a transcriptionist for 20 years and am so ready to get my own work, even if just enough to keep self busy; however, my hope is to grow and be able to provide a decent job for other MTs. Trust me, I have a game plan.

My biggest problem is just figuring out who to contact and go about trying to get a client. That and I'm a bit on the shy side. I think that if I could just get a few meetings/interviews, even if I don't get the job/contract, I would then know what to expect and be able to better prepare a presentation.

To be honest, I had everything in place last year and sent out tons of letters, brochures, discount cards, etc, but never had any response. I'm thinking it is best to go in person rather than just mail them.

At this time, I am redoing my cards and website and getting everything in place for the beginning of next year to try and start again. I gave up too quickly last time.

As for accounting purposes, I do have an AOS degree in accounting and will work closely with a local accountant. I will handle payroll myself but need an accountant who is up-to-date on tax codes and such.

Also, I hear what you are saying about clinics using the point-and-click products. Many of the clinics here have gone that route and are not using a transcriptionist at all.

I think I have come up with an angle though that may land me a few dictators to start with...difficult dictators. Whatever it takes to get my foot in the door! Getting started to me is the hardest part.

Once again, thank you for your advice, it is truly appreciated.

trying to fly - ronna

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish you all the best in "trying to fly!"

I started in this industry back in 1994, with no MT experience; merely having been a medical secretary who knew how to transribe and could type fast!

I sent out letters to office managers of solo pratitioners (I figured they would be less likely to have an in-house MT or go with a larger MTSO), and offered a line rate one cent less than the "going rate" at that time. I then waited about a week and called everyone to whom I had sent a letter. At that time, I managed to acquire about one client for every 100 letters/phone calls. However, as time went on, some of the offices that didn't need my service initially called back, inquiring about my services.

Of course, today's enviroment is dramatically different than it was in 1994.

I changed careers in 1998 and went to work as a mortgage broker. I became an MTSO at that point as I hired MTs to continue my accounts, and I "proofed & printed" the work (pre-internet days!). In 1999, as my new career blossomed, I could no longer handle having two full-time jobs, and sold my accounts to my best MTs.

In 2003, the mortgage broker with whom I had partnered went belly-up, and I was able to salvage some of my former accounts. Unsuccessful in my attempts to acquire new accounts (I was divorced by then and my only source of income), I went to work for an MTSO. I earn twice as much in half the time with my own accounts but can't afford to try to acquire any new accounts right now; however, recently the MTSO work has dwindled and I am faced with the challenge of either finding a new MTSO or "trying to fly" myself.
good luck - Elizabeth
[ In Reply To ..]
For 18 years I have worked as an MT for pretty large companies; since outsourcing began to really pick up in mid 2000s (about 2004), my pay has been cut over 40% from what I earned in 1997. I am getting out of the MT field soon, starting zaayer farm and making goat jerky. Please google zaayer farm and see my new endeavor.

Going in person first - MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
I just want to reiterate my advice AGAINST doing this.

The people you need to see are busy. You will be little more than an interruption in their day unless you've called ahead and made an appointment. By mailing your information first, you open their minds (even if just a little) and then following by a phone call you will have just as much success (possibly more) than just dropping in on them. In some hospitals, larger clinics, you have to go through several layers before you get to the person who can actually do anything about your request.

Sounds like you've got all your bases covered though and I wish you luck. When I started as an MTSO many, many years ago, my personal physician was my first client. Whenever you see a medical person, share what you do!!

Walking Into Offices Can Work-Have to do it right though - mtanon

[ In Reply To ..]
This method worked for me for years getting my own clients. Mailings for me were a waste of money. There are few steps to the "walking in" method.

I walked in to many MD offices with my brochures in an envelope (don't really have to have anything on it but maybe your Name, Business name, etc. in a TO/FROM format from you to the practice manager. (I had a little line printed on the bottom left that just said "Transcription Service Information.)

Then just go up to the reception desk and ask if they could plese pass your envelope on to the practice manager. Say something like âIâd like to drop this off for your practice manager. Itâs just some information about our medical transcription service.â

Big Advice #1: When you go up to the reception desk, do NOT explain that you're starting out or looking for work or anything like that. Do not engage in a conversation with the reception people about your business. You are there only to leave your information for the practice manager. Just say Hi, hello, whatever, and then go into your above statement.

Big Advice #2: Neverrr ask to "see" the practice manager. Getting a no at this point is counterproductive and humiliating to be told no.

Big Beware though --receptionists may tell you things like "oh, we have someone already," or like "oh, we send it out," but don't let that deter you. Just politely say something like "that's okay, I'd like to leave it for them anyway. Also, If they don't give you a name, you can't help that. Just remember, the receptionist has no decision-making capabilities, so you donât owe them any explanation or defense, just be polite and try to get them to take the envelope. If they absolutely refuse, just thank them politely and leave.

PURPOSE OF LEAVING INFORMATION: After handing your envelope to the reception person to pass on, here is the key to your visit: politely ask if you could have the practice/office managerâs name. Donât explain why (unless they ask) other than saying something like âfor follow up,or for my records.â Carry a little tablet or nice looking planner to write down the name while you're still at the front desk (if they donât want to give it to you, thank them anyway and leave).

That way, you really do have someone to call in a few days to see if there was any interest in your service now -- or in the future. It's kind of fun actually, and you at least are doing something productive to get going.

If not a brochure, at least have a letter of introduction to leave for them, along with your business card. But the key is to get that name.

Big Advice #3: If there are people (patients) checking in, do not do anything though until they have been helped first. I have sat in a waiting room chair many times waiting until there's a break in the reception desk area, then I could go up and not interrupt the patient traffic flow.

Good luck to you, I believe you can do this with this method and have early success in finding work. Hope this makes some sense to you.

That was excellent advice! Thanks for sharing it! - Idle MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think that was great advice, and not just for finding MT clients, but ANY kind of clients for a small business.

THANK-YOU !!!

Similar Messages:

For Those With Your Own Clients...
Jul 27, 2011

I am wondering when you started soliciting clients if you already had a platform in place or did you wait to see what the potential clients were already using.  I want to start trying to get my own accounts as there have been a lot of practices open up near me recently, but not sure of the steps to take in the beginning.  I am thinking of using Emdat Inscribe as I am already familar with it, but not sure if that is something I need to set up first or is that a waste if the cl ...

? For MTs With Their Own Clients
Sep 22, 2013

Just wondering, for those MTs who do now or in the past have had their own clients...if you had dictators whose dictation style was extremely fast, haphazard or overall just terrible to understand, would you ever contact them and ask that they slow down or clean it up a little? Am curious if you felt you had a right to request decent dictations to work with when you were your own boss. ...

Finding Own Clients PLEASE HELP
Oct 21, 2009

Hi Everyone, Right now the company I work for hardly has any work.  I am thinking about sending out a letter to local clinics and also maybe putting out an ad on craigslist for transcription work.  Have you tried this?  I have questions:   What things do I have to consider? How do I charge people (I know I can do line count in INstantText and figure out line count and cost)-is 10 CPL a good place to start?  Are there other costs I need to factor in?  How about tax ...

Ever Wonder What Clients Would Think About Doing Their Own Outsourcing?
Oct 26, 2010

Just thinking out loud here.  I know many practices probably do their own outsourcing to MTs at home. Why not more?  It must be cheaper for them with higher quality work, personalized service, etc.  Some hospitals even hire MTs to work from home rather than use an MTSO. How can we, as the MT community, reach more clients/practices.  Surely they have a liason in the office who handles the direction of their transcribed reports, in-house editing; someone who could do ...

Do You Think The Providers/clients Know?
May 17, 2011

I mean, I'm an IC, or whatever I'm called now since I'm doing VR.....there has been talk around the company that perhaps the providers don't even know their documents have been moved to VR.  In reality, I think that this might ring true!  Some of us have quit for ethical reasons, and I can say for certain my VR isn't getting any better with the ahhs and ands and everything else that seems to be in the dication that shouldn't be.  After all, the VR doe ...

Wanting To Get My Own Clients
Jan 08, 2012

I am wanting to start getting my own clients again (haven't done that since I picked up and delivered, printed, etc.!!!) but know nothing about the dictation portion of it.  How do you get an FTP site?  Where do you go to get the dictation set up and be able to transcribe it?  What other things do I need to do for that?  Help!  Thank you all :) ...

He Should Tell Those Happy Clients How Much They Pay Us.
Oct 15, 2012

x ...

Need Help Setting Up To Get My Own Clients
Sep 23, 2014

20 years ago, like a lot of us, I worked at home typing dictations from cassettes on a typewriter!   Recently I was asked by a health care provider if I can do her dictation notes on her own program, using her own templates, send them to her printer from my computer, like is done with the national company I work for.  How do I do set this up in this day and age?  Can I download her program onto a thumb drive and put in my own computer?  How do I get her templates into my ...

Wanting My Own Clients
May 17, 2015

I am wanting to start my own MTSO and have my own clients.  I need someone who has done this already to be sort of a mentor for me.  If all you are going to say is "dont do it" or "it really sucks" or other stuff like that, please save it.  I just need advice on how to get started, who makes the decisions in clinics and offices, and so on...     Thanks in advance... MTdude ...

MQ Makes The Deals With The Clients. The MT
Mar 24, 2010

shouldn't be held responsible for what MQ says.  If MQ doesn't want the responsibility for correct reports, they shouldn't make the deals, instead of making deals and then underpaying MTs and putting all the responsibility on them.  All MQ is after is the money, not the responsibility that goes with making the money. ...

MTSO Rates For Clients
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone have an idea of what MTSO client rates run?  I'm thinking 18-22 cpl for acute care (depending on TAT) and 16-20 cents for clinic (depending on TAT).  Do you think these rates are totally outrageous or about in the ballpark?  ...

Recent Calls From Clients, Etc.
Jul 26, 2012

This post is in regard to posts I have seen lately on this board regarding dictators. They actually do care or must feel they need to address situations that I bring to their attention. A call regarding flags from the physician himself. He is realizing how much time I am spending locating certain info not dictated. He tells me officially that the facility is to handle that now so as not to take up my time. A call from a dictator today, stating as he made so many errors and redictations on the ...

How Much Are MTSO's Charging Their Clients
Oct 30, 2012

Just how much profit are they making.  I have no clue, 17 years ago it was 14-cents a line for a 50 character line.  Or maybe somebody can give me a site where I can look it up myself.  Thanks ...

I'm Preparing A Brochure To Try To Get My Own Clients..
Nov 28, 2012

This is the first time I've done this, and I'd like to offer a free trial. However, I can't do too much as I'm still working for an MTSO. Any suggestions on what would be a reasonable amount of work to do for free?  Not sure if I should say something like maximum 10 letters, or maybe 1, 2, 3, days average work. I think the trial would be of mutual benefit.  I'd get an idea of how difficult their work is and they could see the quality of my work.  Would ...

Advice About Seeking New Clients
Mar 18, 2013

I am looking for info regarding how MTSOs out there obtained their clients. Are there any websites that advertise vendors or is general marketing strategies the best way to go? I am starting out on my own and just wanted to ask a little advice. Thank you! ...

What Software Do I Need In Order To Get A Few Clients Of My Own?
Jun 20, 2013

I was just wondering if I wanted to acquire a few clients on my own, what type of software do I need besides something like Express Scribe?  Those of you who have your own accounts, what do you use?   Thank you :) ...

CLOUD DICTATION Anyone Using This For Clients
Apr 26, 2015

Hello   I was looking into using this Cloud Dictation system because it seems to mirror the Digital Dictate/Digital Delegate system commands so not a big change for the clients.  Has anyone here been using this?  The last posts I could find were from 2013 so just wondering.  If not this system, any other system working?  I have the older Digital Dictate system from NCH but can't seem to get ANY HELP OR QUESTIONS ANSWERED from them on to upgrade or not to upgrade. ...

My Clients Want To Switch From Tapes To Digital Sm
Oct 19, 2009

My two docs, whom I have typed for 6 years, are considering going to digital dictation from tapes. I told them I would look into it and need some advice. I can't seem to find how to search the archives on this new board...can some of you offer me some names of transcription platforms that I can check out? I would be most appreciative.... ...

Having A Hard Time Finding Clients
Apr 02, 2010

I have been a MT for three years.  I have been working for somebody else and have recently decided to start up my own business.  I have sent out over 200 letters/business cards to area doctors and thought for sure it would produce a better return.  I was just wondering if anybody has any advice.  I'm trying not to get discouraged and I just keep plugging along but I'm open to any and all thoughts.  Thanks in advance! ...

Did MQ Lose Clients/Hospitals Across The Board?
Nov 02, 2010

I really would like to know the answer to this and wonder how to find out the true answer.  Some (all?) of the hospitals are very demand and critical, so its impossible to believe they want their work to go to India.  MQ is screwing up royally with their software for the MT's so I can imagine it is just as bad for the hospitals.  My question is why is there and why has there been so little work throught the entire US? ...

Cold Contacting Potential Clients
May 31, 2011

Anyone have any helpful suggestions on cold contacting potential clients. Better by email, mail, fax or phone? Which would be thought of as the most professional? ...

Problem In Seeking Own Clients. Ideas?
Jan 30, 2013

So I've started pounding pavement..but switched to calling first to ask if I may bring my business card and a flyer outlining my services to them.  Here's why: Besides the percentage that only use EMR, the others fall under a huge umbrella of healthcare chains, and these chains outsource their MTs. Out of about 30 so far, I found ONE chiropractor who was independent and took my info saying they may need an MT soon, and one other who said he's had the same MT for 30+ years (lu ...

How Much Do Nationals Charge Their Clients Per Line?
Jun 23, 2013

I'm curious to know what these nationals charge their clients for transcription if anyone here knows.  I know some of them go through bidding.  Thanks! ...

Do The Clients Even Have A Clue How Badly They Have Been Ripped Off By ASR?
Aug 14, 2013

Or do they think they can continue to put garbage in and get back a perfect report by the magic of this "wonderful technology."  Do they even know what type of trash it is producing??The first thing these developers did to rip off the health care providers was to tell them that they could simply dictate and it automatically would become patient record with no transcriptionist involved.  We knew that 99% of doctors would never change their style to meet the requirements to dictate accur ...

Now They Complain Blanks Are Going To Clients? They Really Are Determined NOT To Pay Us For Our Wor
Dec 30, 2014

Now it seems that Nuance is complaining that too many blanks are going to the clients and not to QA.  Wth did they expect? What do they think is going to happen now that they have complained about this?  Do they think that MTs are going to sacrfice what little money they currently make with Nuance and send more to QA or do they think that MTs will simply give it their best guess and move on? Unbefriggenlievable.   ...

Are There Any Hospital Clients That Actually Care About The MTs That Type Their Reports?
Apr 07, 2010

The hospital (client) of the company I type for, just updated their system.  This was a so-called big deal.  I was excited because they use a program that I know has potential to make a lot more shortcuts and less mouse use available for the MTs, that they did not utilized, but today, I started typing on the "new updated" version just to find there are more fields I have to fill in on the patient profile screen, there is more mouse use, and more looking up, and going out of the program ...

Best Clients Ever. He Just Redictated A Cell Phone Dictation
Apr 02, 2012

I have the nicest clients ever. After contacting office staff that the physician's dictation was problematic due to the cell phone used, the physician redictated this on a landline. Wow! Nicest ever! I thought I was going to be up all night deciphering this, as this particular cell phone recorded extremely bad. He did not even wait for the prior to come in with potential blanks but redictated it. This is the same client I have that reinstalled their landline after installing a VOiP system t ...

30% Nuance Clients Refuse Offshore Transcription
May 17, 2015

and the other 70% are in for a very rude awakening. ...

MTSO Claimin To Have US MT's But Only Charges Clients 6 Cents Per Line
Dec 10, 2009

Has anyone heard of a company called North American Transcription Company.  They claim to have all US MT's but they only charge clients 6 cents per line.  How is this possible? ...

Any MTSOs On These Boards Anymore? Question For Someone Who Is Either MTSO Or Has Their Own Clients
Apr 29, 2015

I have been using OLD system with Windows 2000 and Outlook express to run the Digital Dictate and Express Delegate.  It is finally starting to give me issues.  I was looking into jsut upgrading to a new platform, BUT with all the cloud type places out there, the idea of not having to deal with equipment at all is quite intriguing. Who is using something beside Dial Dictate and Express Delegate to get their dictations and send to any MTs working with them?   Thanks  Maggie ...