A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Interesting things in the annual report to shareholders..... - kiki

Posted: Dec 07, 2009

What I found of particular interest was on the first page (letter to shareholders) where it says that a shortage of domestic MTs is one of the reasons they need to offshore.  ???? To me this doesn't make sense if so many of their employees are saying they consistently have no work.  If there were such a shortage, no one would be complaining of this. 

If you are curious as to the salaries and bonuses of the big whigs of this company, it's listed in this pamphlet. 

A shortage of domestic MTs? I think what they meant - is this...

[ In Reply To ..]

I think what they meant in their letter to the shareholders is this:

"There is a shortage of domestic MTs who are willing or financially able to work for the reduced ASR pay that we are offering."

I think they just decided to leave off the second part of their sentence, that's all.

Medquist - Joni

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the worse, most unethical company I have ever seen in my life. I worked for them 13 years and worked Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, putting work before my family, which I now regret. My QA ran 98.5 to 100 percent and I could do 300-400 lines an hour because I wrote the format and started the account 22 years ago. Well, to make a long story short, they gave me foreign doctors, cut my pay, and I went from 50,000 a year to 300 every 2 weeks. They were apparently outsourcing my account to India. They are dirty, left me with no insurance, and was "jealous" because I made more than the supervisor.....what! If if weren't for medical transcriptionists, there would be no Medquist transcription company. But anyway, they have done me a GREAT FAVOR. I have moved on, going to school. And I haven't been a happier person in over 13 years, just what goes around comes around. Don't be loyal to them, they will not be loyal to you!

Well said Joni - Bunion

[ In Reply To ..]
And people still want to get into this field. Wow. I could have wrote that myself. Cudos! Good luck with new carreer.

What are you doing now? Any suggestions? - poodlepassion

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd like to find another medical occupation where I could work out of my home, that appreciates American experience, and not medical billing. Used to be a nurse, but honestly don't want to go back into that. Any suggestions?

Back to school... - 50 YO Student!

[ In Reply To ..]
I am back at school and loving it! There are many things to get into. Look at your community college for ideas...check out http://www.onetcenter.org/

After much deep soul-searching and researching various career paths I have decided to follow my passion, which is the written word... reading, writing. Working on a BA in English or Journalism or Literature... all which will open the door for many options. It is scary starting at the age of 50. But I will continue to be an MT while I pursue this. Like you, I want to continue to work at a home office, travel, so I am hoping I can become a proof-reader, editor, etc. Ideally, would like to use my MT background and work for medical journals or even do book reviews. It may seem like too far to reach, and a long shot, but I am smart and determined.
One thing I had considered was technical writing. - dnr
[ In Reply To ..]
But I didn't want to go back to school to refresh my English.

You might be able to do freelance writing too.

Long story short for me, I just finished a term paper, and so I had to use my English writing skills anyways.

Shortage of US MTs - old and burned out

[ In Reply To ..]
Here's the MQ plan: Make working conditions so unpleasant that American MTs quit in search of better compensation and some respect. Then say you have to offshore because there are no American MTs. End result: More profit for MQ.

Similar Messages:

Annual Report
Aug 16, 2011

I noticed in the annual report they have 100 sales reps.  That is a waste of money for them on the payroll.  It seems they are supposed to generate more work.  That's a lot of people not doing their job, or when they do get new accounts I guess they go directly overseas. ...

A Link With A Number Of Interesting Things Affecting Our Industry.
Mar 09, 2012

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/03/09/148230883/forget-the-robots-venture-capitalists-change-their-health-care-investments ...

Annual Salary
Jun 08, 2010

I am currently making $34,000 a year as an MT.  I am a single mom raising 2 kids on my own.  I am curious if anyone is making more than that as an MT.  I want to set a goal for myself to make more in the range of $40,000 to $45,000.  Am I being unrealistic?  Can it be done? ...

Anybody Going To AHDI Annual?
Jul 22, 2014

x ...

Synernet Annual Bonus
Mar 13, 2014

With all the changes coming down the pike, I'm just wondering if the annual bonus has become extinct along with things like the 401K automatic 3% contribution.  I'm thinking it was about the first of March when they announced the annual bonus and this year not a peep.   If it was coming this year you would think they would announce it sooner than later; that would be a blip of positivity in the midst of all the current turmoil.  Maybe they figure a lot of people are ...

Medicak INK - Looking For The Good Things/bad Things
Aug 23, 2013

Considering making a move to this company.  Spoke with owner and she sounds delightful. Just wondering if anyone has any info on the company...anything at all!  Thank you! ...

Annual Raises Or Merit Raises?
Dec 03, 2014

Does any MTSO do this?  I mean, either an annual cost of living raise or a merit raise based on a regular annual review.  Or both. If none of the above, are you able to just ask your boss for a raise when you feel it's appropriate?  Does it work? ...

How Is One To Make Line Count When You Get Report After Report Sm
Mar 05, 2014

that is less than 30 lines; dictator who repeats every sentence with 1 subtle change; DEAD AIR, etc.  It is stressful enough that I'm losing money today but to be stressed out about line count and being perfect...I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!! ...

So How Are Things Going To Be Different After
Mar 27, 2015

midnight tonight?  If we've had to have mandatory OT for 2 weeks, what is going to all of a sudden change? ...

How Are Things At Transtech?
Feb 10, 2010

Does anyone have current information on the working conditions at Transtech?  Is their insurance okay?  Do they have enough work? ...

Is Anyone Sticking Around To See How Things Go?
Feb 17, 2010

I recently lost my MT job with a pretty decent company.  It was due to lack of work.  I know this is happening a lot these days, and I've been reading a lot of the posts here.  I know that no field is perfect, but I have to do something.  How many of you plan on (or can) stick around to see how things go, and how many of you are going back to school or getting into a different field? ...

Things That Make Me Go Hmm
May 19, 2010

Have ya ever wondered, WHY is it that we get "audited" when we are having really, really bad work days? Why does the "computer randomly chose" (ha!) the most difficult, awful report to review?   My latest audit was on a dictator I had NEVER EVER DONE before, on a brand spanking new account, was 1098 minutes and ASR and ESL!  I got an 84%.  (Hey! as far as I'm concerned that should have been an A+++!!  Least I gave them something that looked like a report.) I a ...

MQ - Things Never Change
Sep 30, 2010

I worked for MQ many, many years ago when they bought the company I was working for.  From reading this board, it appears some things never change and only get worse.  I remember having to switch from one account to the other constantly and trying to keep track of client profiles.  Glad I am out of there!! ...

OTT Has Now Changed Up Some More Things...
Oct 15, 2010

All headers are now no longer counted in the line count. We're already out of work most of the time and now this. We don't get paid for cc's that we add or all the info on the pt before we ever start typing. I'd say when we do have work they're getting a lot of free work from us. ...

Offshoring, Things We Can Do.
Sep 14, 2011

First off, I am truly disgusted with our government for allowing offshoring to such a degree that it has taken most of our jobs away.  We have written and complained to no avail.  We do need to do some things on our own too.  I recently went shopping for my son's school supplies.  I read the labels to make sure things were made in America.  Ink pens:  The only ink pens I found made in America were Pilot pens, BIC were made in China.  I bought the Pilot pe ...

How Are Things Currently At Landmark?
Feb 07, 2012

xx ...

I Want To Change Things Here
Apr 08, 2012

Im know for my big mouth and speaking my mind...Everyone including me is on here bitching, that is counterproductive and makes for a long day..This job is an IMPORTANT job, not just every idiot can do it..I enjoy the challenges that come with it, even though there are times I would like to pull my hair out...With that I'm opening my mouth and making a move...So I am asking what you guys want me to include in my email...Constructive critism only please...I know most of the problems, but I do ...

I Know They Change Things
Aug 18, 2012

I know this b/c I specifically could not find a doctors name in the database for one particular job and I blanked it, wrote it down so I would remember the job number and what I blanked and when my corrections came through today, that name was filled in as if I put it there, there was no blank no more with a correction that I put in the incorrect name.  I know that I blanked it.  This is rediculous!!!  I can't wait to find another job!  ...

I've Had It, Done, Over. I Got Up Early To Get Many Things Done Sm
Dec 28, 2012

since I found out last night that I am having unexpected overnight houseguests tonight.  In-laws suddenly don't have room....Not only is my house a mess from entertaining both xmas eve and xmas while trying to get in work which was nearly impossible because there wasn't any, but I was low on food, my son had a doc's appt for a cough that he has had for 3 weeks now, and we are expecting a snowstorm tomorrow.  I ran around like a wild woman al ...

2 More Things To Watch For...
Jan 08, 2013

shorted on PTO accrual - waiting for call from HR - and QA now searching out very short reports, due to the 'nuance improved' QA calculation, 1 minor 0.25 error made my score 97.73! ...

Hey Ya'll At MM: How Are These Things Working
Feb 27, 2013

â€Â¢ Respect: We treat each other and our customers with respect, valuing individual and cultural differences and approaches to work. â€Â¢ Teamwork: We strive to create an environment in which everyone has a chance to showcase their individual talents. We build better relationships and produce greater results for our customers when we work together as a team. Our goal is to empower our people to work smarter and more effectively. â€Â¢ Customer Focus: We always seek ways to enhance the ...

How Are Things At Accentus?
Feb 28, 2013

How are things at Accentus?  I have an interview. ...

5 THINGS AN MT DOES NOT WANT TO SEE IN JOB POSTINGS
Apr 21, 2014

1.  Companies that brag on themselves. "XYZ Transcription, a an industry leader, has been in business since the first Christmas and therefore is the best. We therefore deserve only the best MTs that love playing on our team regardless of how much they want to play for the only team that matters to them, I.E, their family; adhering to turn-around times under penalty of death; and really don't give a hoot about anything but the MT Companies. We are growing and growing and growing and are ...

When Did Things Change?
Apr 24, 2014

I have recently been switched to almost all back end speech, no problem, but when did the rules change? I was taught milligrams not mg, milliliter not mL, gravida II/para II not gravida 2, para 2. It seems with the advent of back end speech, the rules are being relaxed. Will JCACHO accept this? Isn't it our reputation at stake? ...

Maybe Things Will Change
Sep 03, 2014

FedEx ICs http://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksherman/2014/09/03/fedex-latest-company-slammed-over-independent-employees/?google_editors_picks=true   ...

You Know Things Have Hit An All-time Low When ...
Jan 17, 2015

You're sitting here with a job waiting for you in your queue and you don't even CARE because you decide to watch a training/motivational video on changing careers to help you get the H311 out of this god-forsaken field.  As God as my witness, I WILL be out of this company by year's end.  I'd rather empty trash cans in the ladies' room than do this for even one more day and I've worked for this company for 16 years.  Stick a fork in me ... I'm don ...

Good Things?
Feb 12, 2015

I am reading so many negative comments. Are there any good things about working for this company? (M Modal) ...

They Have Been Hearing These Same Things Over And Over And Over And
Mar 27, 2015

...the business model works well for them. They made their money off you before you even signed on. They made it 1) when they landed your previous facility's contract and 2) when you were gullible enough to sign on to help voice wreck unemploy yourselves. If they wanted you to stick around you'd be so overworked you could not stand it. Nothing new about any of this stuff except this appears to be the latest set of Nuance casualties. In another month there will be another new set when t ...

Very Interesting.....
Apr 16, 2012

I think it is very interesting how a company will make you jump through hoops to "prove" you are an independent contractor but still want you to use an employee based punch in/out system. You don't get it both ways, if I am an independent contractor, then I don't have to use your employee based punch system, especially when you want to charge for it but to keep track of my own hours is free. ...

Here's An Interesting One...
Apr 27, 2012

ASR put "1,000,000 cm" instead of mobility. What? Why? ...