A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Am I correct in saying one needs to make (sm)) - yochana

Posted: Aug 31, 2010

2 cpl extra when employed as an IC?  Thus, an IC making 10 cpl is really clearing 8 cpl after paying taxes.

You need more than that. Dont forget health - insurance, bookkeeping, etc. - R.Raccoon

[ In Reply To ..]

What? Employee pay taxes too. The only difference - is SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The only difference is IC pay the EMPLOYER part of taxes because IC is their own employer. However, that employer part IC pays is a write off. It is a business expense. IC does all their own paperwork and taxes rather than having employer take that same money out of net pay and sending it in. Ic sends it in herself.

What do you mean? I'm confused.. - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
What do you mean - an IC paying the self-employment tax is a business expense? You can't write that whole 12.5% or whatever it is off, can you?

Employee and IC pay the same amount of taxes - except for SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Employer pays a % into taxes, the employer part. Since IC is her own boss, IC pays that employer % into taxes. That small % is the only difference between taxes paid by IC or employee. However, IC can use that % as write off since it is a business expense of IC. So basically IC and employee pay the same amount of tax, just IC sends it in instead of the employer taking it from employee check and sending it in.
OK, help me out here - I'm obviously stupid! - s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
On my 1040 line 27, you can take off 1/2 of self employment tax (attach schedule SE) which lowers the adjusted gross. Where are you writing off the whole thing - schedule C or CEZ? (Thanks for your input btw - I'm IC - been doing my own taxes for several years - have I totally screwed myself?!) Bad enough to feel screwed by my hospital but now to think my own ignorance is costing me more! Looks like maybe I need a tax guy !
Oh, I dont know details, lol. This is why tax guy is better than - software. And of course, his fee is write off. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Seriously - help me.. How to do this on tax form please?? - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
DIFFERENCE with taxes - checkwritinMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Employees have 7.5% for SS and Medicare paid by their employee. The employee pays the rest.

ICs have to pay 15% self-employment tax (i.e. SS and Medicare).

EmployERs pay federal UE on employees.

The benefit comes in the write-offs. While it may look like both are paid the same, the reality is, the IC gets to write a bunch of stuff that employees cannot necessarily do.
What if you have no real expenses to deduct- - s/m
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm IC full-time for one hospital. They provide equipment, dedicated cable and phone lines (accounts in their name - I never even see bills). I don't have seperate room to dedicate as office - work in bedroom - so can't write that off. I don't have health insurance to deduct cost of (unable to get private insurance because I have MS). Not enough medical bills to itemize (can't afford to see doctor unless emergency). What else is there to write off ? :{
Wow - some thoughts
[ In Reply To ..]
You said:
I'm IC full-time for one hospital. They provide equipment, dedicated cable and phone lines (accounts in their name - I never even see bills).

Well, I hate to break it to you AND them, but you're not an IC, you're an employee. That one line right there would have the IRS change your status immediately. They are just opting not to pay you as an employee which is, frankly, illegal on their part.

Next, THEY are in HIPAA violation and you may be as well, depending on the type of computer you're working on, how well it is encrypted and whether or not you have PHI on it.

If *I* were you, and needed health insurance (I have MS as well), I'd get them to reclassify me and give me benefits.

So, to answer your question, you're an employee (legally) not an IC (illegally) and you're right, by misclassifying yourself, you have no contractor write-offs, mostly because you're not a contractor tho!
Thanks for thoughts. Now I feel stupid - and sick! - But thanks, really. :] nm
[ In Reply To ..]

xx

Not a minimal amount - wp51 typist
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm an IC. The difference is 7.5% of my income which is about $3000/year extra (out of my pocket) in Social Security Tax. That's not minimal. And because I do my own taxes, i know that, true, I do not pay FEDERAL INCOME TAX on that 7.5% ("sparing" me another $750), but that $3500 is included for everything else - Medicare taxes, state taxes, figuring out how much for itemized deductions, figuring out how much deduction for business use of my home, etc. I would say making an extra 2 cpl is a start.

Yes, my tax guy says I can write off the tax usually paid - by the employer since I am IC. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
I have never heard of an IC being able to deduct the employer percentage - Yochana
[ In Reply To ..]
of tax either. I do my own taxes also. I just never had the extra to use a tax person even though it is deductible I would still have to pay for it up front. My niece used to work at H&R Block....think I will talk to her. Thanks for the very enlightening facts!
p.s. to the above poster....don't feel stupid as you aren't the only one who didn't know this. LOL
It's called self-employment tax - not SS
[ In Reply To ..]
If you use Turbo Tax or similar program, it will make this deduction.

Similar Messages:

Hey! Make Sure Your Line Counts Are Correct
Sep 27, 2011

I notice all of mine corrected lines aren't showing up.  I have some "gaps" in my counts since back on line after the outage! You might want to check yours!! I notice the light is still yellow....so use caution! ...

Is It M-TEC Or Meditec? I Am Trying To Find It Online And I Want To Make Sure I Have The Correct One
Mar 24, 2013

nm ...

BEFORE YOU POST - Make Sure You Use The Correct Board - See List On Left. NM
Feb 23, 2011

. ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

Which One Is Correct? Q.4h Or Q.4 H ?
Nov 10, 2009

n/m ...

Is This The Correct Way Sm
Nov 13, 2009

to type (tibial tubercle plasty) tia. ...

Does This Seem To Be Correct?
Nov 14, 2009

If we do come to surgery, we would probably do both at the same time and do it under an **epidural spinal/epidural anesthetic **in attempt to reduce her risk for recurrent problems there.   This is exactly how he says it in between the ** tia. ...

Is This Correct??? Help!
Nov 29, 2009

"Wound was subsequently closed with 5-4 Ethilon sutures in an interrupted fashion. " The dictator is clearly saying 5-4 Ethilon sutures, not 5-0 or 4-0. Can anyone confirm that?     ...

Does This Look Correct?
Feb 04, 2010

***has chronic kidney disease stage IV with an estimated GFR of 19 mL/min per 1.3 m2.   I am mostly concerned about the 1.3 meters squared.  Is this correct?  ...

S/l Via Can This Be Correct
Feb 22, 2010

At this point, due to the failure of conservative measures, we have discussed proceeding with a subacromial decompression via arthroscopy. tia. ...

Please Tell Me If This Is Correct...
Mar 03, 2010

Doc says this exactly but I'm not sure what "chromogen" has to do with BCP.   "Ortho Tri-Cyclen, she takes that regularly now, chromogen birth control pills." ...

Pen Vee-K, Pen VK, Or...Which Is Correct?
Jun 26, 2011

Is there a correct way to transcribe this?  In all of my research, I've seen it Penicillin V-K, Pen Vee-K, Pen V-K, Pen VK, you name it, I've seen it. Does anyone if all of these are acceptable or is there an absolute correct way to transcribe it? TIA and have a great Sunday! ...

F-18 FDG Correct Or F-18-FDG ?
Mar 22, 2011

This is contrast used in PET CTs.    Which way is correct?  Thanks! ...

Why Did QA Correct This?
Apr 21, 2011

I sent in a report with 2 blanks because of a discrepancy.  When I got the feedback, every single time I typed "diabetes type 2" as was dictated, it was corrected to "non-insulin-dependent diabetes type 2."  If that's how they want it, it's okay with me, but it seems a tad like padding the line count! ...

What Is Correct
Aug 31, 2011

What is the correct way to type q a.m. and q day? For some reason I thought I remembered reading we werent' supposed to use the q and should type every a.m. or every day or daily, but I can't reference it anywhere now? ...

Which Is Correct? 70%-90% Or 70-90%....
Oct 08, 2011

xx ...

Just Want To Know If This Is Correct
Jul 01, 2012

I have been told for the past 2 days that there is no work available on 2 of my accounts, and I am wondering if other MTs have been told the same thing.  This is usually not the case, and 1 major account decided not to have TT do their work.  The other 2 accounts I am now on also have little or not work.  Has anyone else had trouble getting work or no work?  This is really beginning to bother me, and when you ask someone in charge on the evening shift they don't lik ...

AM I CORRECT ON THIS? (SM)
Jul 09, 2012

Am I correct that you write  there is kyphosis from C2 to C5, but there is kyphosis from C2-C3?  The hyphen only being used when the vertebrae are next to one another?   Thanks! ...

Is This Correct? SM
Jul 26, 2012

If both those tests indicate that A) He is not at risk for another myocardial infarction, and B) There has been no further deterioration in left ventricular contractility, then I will give him the okay to go ahead with surgery. Is the A. and B. part correct? I wasn't sure about capitalizing the first word after those too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

How To Correct?
Apr 04, 2014

Patient with bladder cancer.  PA clearly dictates "heme-ish looking urine" and "hemey looking urine".  How would one go about correcting this?  It's been a long day and my mind is fried. ...

Re-CT'ing Correct?
Nov 27, 2014

On verbatim acct, is re-CT'ing okay? ...

How Would You Like To Correct This Mess?
Nov 07, 2009

Ever wonder why you miss words that are misspelled, even when you “carefully” proof every page?  If you can read the following, you will learn the answer.    From Cambridge University : O lny srmat poelpe can raed tihs. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, t he olny iprmoatnt tihn ...

Dr. Says.. By Me, Is That Grammar Correct?
Nov 17, 2009

right-handed white male who previously underwent surgery by me, ...  Or would I change to by myself ...

Which Is The Correct Spelling?
Nov 25, 2009

hemachromatosis or hemochromatosis ...

Punctuation Help Is This Correct?
Dec 09, 2009

The patient is now about 1 week postoperative arthroscopy and debridement of the right knee for a posterior horn tear of the medial meniscus, medial extensor plica, and synovial calcinosis.   tia ...

Correct Wording
Jan 21, 2010

Would are or is be more appropriate in this sentence? On examination of the abdomen, no guarding or hepatosplenomegaly ______ noted. Thanks! ...

Please Help Me With Auto Correct....
Jan 22, 2010

It is suddenly not working. Is there some way it can get turned off?  Thanks. ...

What Is The Correct Way 300mg Or 300 Mg
Jan 29, 2010

NM ...

S/l Correct Perception
Feb 24, 2010

Neuroscan: 100 percent s/l correct perception of 4.31 mm filament bilateral distal lower extremities. Has anyone heard of this?  I couldn't verify.  Thanks! ...

I Feel Like I Cannot Do Anything Correct
Jul 03, 2010

After 25 years all the sudden I feel like I cannot do anything right. MQ must be trying to get rid of experienced MTs. ...