A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

coding classes through a distance learning program - Aspiring coder

Posted: Aug 01, 2010

I work full-time as an MT and take coding classes through a distance learning progam, I'm about half way through and have just started to learn coding; first inpatient, then outpatient.  My MT job is good now, on-site with plenty of work and good pay, but we are moving to EPIC and VR and job cuts are imminent within the next year or so.  I am thinking ahead to coding jobs, though, and recently applied for a medical records clericial position where a small amount of coding would be involved, it sounds as if it would be checking for missing codes as well as scanning, filing and pulling charts, records release, etc.  I know it would be a big pay cut but I thought that if I could start there maybe I could cross train and do other things such as fill-in for MT or move into billing if I got the opportunity, of course I still don't know if i will get an interview.   I'm jumping ahead, but if I get the chance, do you think it would be a good idea to take the pay cut and get out now?  I'm scared to get laid off from MT and have no job at all. Thanks for your suggestions.

my thoughts - Raine59

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in the same position as you except my MT pay is falling rapidly and I don't have plenty of work. But I'm wondering if it would be worth taking even more of a pay cut in order to get a job that's a little closer to what I eventually want. I guess it depends on how much of a pay cut and whether the facility in question has a lot of coding positions. I think it's sure worth applying. You can always turn it down if you are offered it but the pay is just too low. Plus you might get some interviewing practice which may help later on. Good luck.

By the way, which certification exam are you planning to take? I'm having trouble deciding.

To Raine59 - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Raine, thanks for sharing. My instinct is to accept the job if I get an offer and learn to live on less and I agree that going through the interview process is good experience. Even though things are stable now and I wouldn't be the first MT to get laid off, it's getting stressful around my office with all the changes on the horizon.

I'm probably going to take the CPC exam. If I'm lucky to last long enough and get a job with my present employer, it is an outpatient facility and that is the certification they want people to have, I thought that would be a good place to begin. I think there would be more outpatient jobs in my area and that is where the focus of that exam lies. If you are uncertain about which exam to take, I suppose you could take more than one as the CPC and CCS both seem to be the credentials of choice.

Thanks again, I'll let everyone know what happens.

Similar Messages:

I Want To Take Coding Classes ...
Jun 26, 2012

I want to take coding classes, but the school that everybody says is the best is an online course.  I am an MT, working full time and then some.  The last thing I want to do is sit in front of the computer any more than I already do.  Why can't these classes be offered in a regular class setting?  I've never liked the idea of online school as long as I'm working on line.  Just too much sitting and staring at the screen.  I don't think I'm al ...

Best Places To Take Coding Classes?
Oct 08, 2010

What are some of the best places to take coding classes?  I want to make sure it is going to teach me and not leace me in the open.  THanks ...

Can You Take Online Classes For Coding?
Dec 20, 2010

I'm new to this board so bear with me.  Having been a MT forever it seems, I'm thinking of making a switch to coding. At one point I was even hired as an entry level coder, learning on the job, but when i position came open in transcription took that as it paid better. In hindsight wish I had stuck with the coding as then could have gone either or even both ways.  My problem would be having to actually "go" to a school in person , but i would want something reputable, not som ...

Books For Coding Classes (sm)
Mar 17, 2012

We are using the book "Basic ICD-9-CM Coding."  I would like to know what other books other schools are using for Coding I.  I do not think this book is the best for me!  Can anyone suggest any others? ...

Medical Coding Classes
Jun 16, 2012

Trying to decide which online course for medical coding to take.  I am hearing Andrews college talked about quite a bit and have researched them but will not be covered by my FSSA grant. anyone have any input on online coding courses that would be covered by my FSSA grant? Unfortunately finances are a big determining factor. ...

Best Online Coding Classes
Mar 06, 2013

I am very interested in getting into coding/billing field. I am retired medical transcriptionist. I am looking for advise on schools, what to look for in a school and requirements. I would really like to take classes online. ...

Coding Classes - Tons Of Schools
May 10, 2010

I have looked at tons of schools and read tons of info.  I am down to AAPC or Career step.  Which one is better?  And have you taken either at career step or AAPC ...

A Question About The Andrews Coding Classes.
Apr 14, 2015

If you've been an MT for 20 years, will they let you skip or test out of some of the classes that pertain to things we already know, or do you have to take them all? ...

Schooling - Good Online Coding Classes? 
Jan 21, 2010

Any recommendations on good online coding classes?  ...

Learning Coding
Jan 30, 2012

Is there any coder out there who has 'self-taught' themselves and successfully passed the CCS and working?  I'm an MT whose so ready to change to coding, but keep putting it off schooling due to being financially strapped (as MT'ing just barely pays the simple bills.....nothing more).  I also think being an MT will put me at an advantage in learning coding than someone 'off the street'/no knowledge of any facet of the medical field.  Any thoughts? ...

Learning E/m Coding And....(sm)
Jun 17, 2012

I have been trying to find a downloadable/printable version of the "E and M documentatinoadn coding worksheet in aqua and gray."  Hoping someone can help me! ...

Learning Coding And Can Someone Explain
Oct 02, 2014

I am currently studying to add coding to my skills. I kind of get it, but a bit confused on something. I understand CPC is through AAPC and CCS is through AHIMA. Here is what I'm not understanding and wonder if someone could please explain.  I'm studying to take the CCS exam.  Do physicians offices use something different for coding, or are these two credentials interchangeable with hospital and physician office coding. I read that Carol Buck's study guides are reall ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

My Thoughts On Learning Medical Billing And Coding
Nov 09, 2011

After seeing the writing on the fall for MTs, I started school 1 year ago.  I am currently in an online associates degree program.  I am an on-the-job trained MT.  I also earned my CMT through a lot of self study and I work hard to keep that CMT credential (no bashing.  Needed it at the time for the job I had).  My college program is currently business administration with a completion in medical billing and coding.  I already know that to get a coding certifica ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

I Am Almost Done With My Coding Program But
Sep 22, 2011

now I don't know if I want to be a coder :(.  I planned on taking the CPC and then after a few years taking the CCS.  Before I started my program, I was naive and didn't realize how difficult and complex coding is.  I don't know that I can sit in front of a computer for 8 hours and code all day long.  It's almost too much like MTing (desk work, I mean).  Plus, I am not confident in my ability to even pass the CPC.  I am not very satisfied with th ...

Which Online Coding Program
Aug 17, 2010

How does one know which online coding program to take when they all seem pretty good, besides the price difference? I specifically want to know about AHIMA or Career Step from someone who has graduated and found a job. I know they have testimonials on their website, but how does one really know?  I was thinking about either their program or the one from AHIMA, which seems a lot longer, but apparently with either you will be able to sit for the credentialing exam, and they seem to be close in ...

Does Anyone Know If The Andrews Coding Program...sm
Dec 09, 2010

offers training of the 3M encoding software?  I read that Career Step does and when I look at most coding jobs, they require training and experience using 3M encoding software.  Thanks for your help! ...

AHDPG Coding Program
Jan 18, 2012

Has anyone attended thisl AHDPG coding program?  I see they are recommended by AAPC.  I am a little leary of them as I have never heard of them  before. ...

Question About A Particular Coding Program
Sep 07, 2012

I am looking for a medical coding program and have been checking into various ones. I came across this one and it seems too good to be true. All others have been at least $1000 but usually more than that. This programs states it is only $349 for a 6 month indepth course. You can find it at www.medicalcodingpro.com or just google Medical Coding Pro. My concern is, does this program really train you from scratch or is it meant as a refresher course for people who have worked in this field pr ...

Is It Important To Take A Coding Program That Is
Jul 29, 2013

or does it mostly boil down to going to a school with a good curriculum and then getting a certification? I'm trying to decide between a community college program and Career Step.  The community college program, I won't be able to graduate from until 2015, which seems like forever, but with Career Step, I could be done in a year from now.  Career Step is AHIMA approved, and MModal (my current employer) told me that the AHIMA approval is important. ...

CPC/CCS Coding Program Other Than Andrews
Sep 03, 2013

Does anyone know of a (non-degree) program other than Andrews that upon completion will allow you to be eligible to sit for the CCS and CPC exam. I have researched the Andrews program and think it sounds great and comes with awesome recommendations from this board. I just want to explore any other options available before I take the plunge. Not necessarily needing a degree, already have Masters in Health Administration. Thanks so much. ...

Coding Program And FT/PT Status . Wonder
Mar 11, 2014

If chosen for this program and moving down to PT production, I wonder if you are then considered PT and will lose health benefits? Has anyone inquired about this yet? ...

MM Coding Program Questions
May 08, 2014

For those of you in the HDS2Coder program, how do you like it?  Would you recommend it to other MM employees?  Is it harder than you expected or take up more of your time than expected?  I'm just wanting to know how you all are doing in there in case they offer the program again in July.  Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on!! ...

Coding Program Stopped
May 14, 2014

Just got an email from our manager saying they are stopping the program for the next week or so until they get the bugs worked out.   We are supposed to type until they figure out their next step.  Some of the students still don't have the encoder program.  I think a big part of it is because of the ruling to delay ICD9.  Who knows if it will start back up again.     Will keep you guys posted.  ...

If Coding Program Is Offered Again, DON'T DO IT!
Dec 09, 2014

MTs, if MModal offers this coding program again, don't do it...it is now 10 months into a 3 month program and has again been pushed back by another 2 months...they make it look good with guaranteed employment and dangling bonuses at you, but don't be fooled..they have no intension of ever paying you or moving you into the job...this is just to dangle in front of customers to say "hire us, we are cutting edge!" ...

In Coding Program...question
Dec 11, 2014

I am getting a little overwhelmed with the manual side of coding. The beginning part of the course was a breeze because it was all medical terms and anatomy. The coding part just seems overwhelming. Is working in real life easier with the encoder than it is manually looking up a code? ...

Any Word On The Coding Program?
Feb 28, 2015

I asked the coding board and just got crickets.  I was hoping that they would do another round and I could give the test a try.  I heard from a coworker who heard from another coworker who heard from one of the coders in training that they recently dropped the program.  I'm not sure if I believe it or not as it would be all over this board I would think.   ...

To Those Who Were In The Coding Program That Was Cancelled
Apr 10, 2015

To those of you who were in that huge coding training program that was canceled recently, have you given up on coding or enrolled in another program? What did you decide to do? ...

I Want To Consider Going To Andrews For Their Coding Program
Apr 27, 2015

and I think I'd enjoy the job (after researching for the past year). I really want to do something interesting for the rest of my working life (and still have a career rather than just a job like I do now), but now I'm starting to wonder if I am too old at 58.  I guess I'd get through the schooling in about 12 months, then take the CCS exam (takes time?) and then I say give myself up to a year to find a job (??).  That would mean I could be pushing 60 when I began.  ...