A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I want to consider going to Andrews for their coding program - I think the cost is very reasonable

Posted: Apr 27, 2015

and I think I'd enjoy the job (after researching for the past year). I really want to do something interesting for the rest of my working life (and still have a career rather than just a job like I do now), but now I'm starting to wonder if I am too old at 58.  I guess I'd get through the schooling in about 12 months, then take the CCS exam (takes time?) and then I say give myself up to a year to find a job (??).  That would mean I could be pushing 60 when I began. 

Anyone else start a coding career as late in life as this and be successful? 

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.  I really would appreciate it.

You are definitely not too old for a coding career - Good Question!

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know if you've heard or not, but 58 is the new 48, and 58 is definitely not too old. I think it's amusing that you would even think that. Good luck with your new career choice!

58 is 58 - Do the math

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not 48.

To the Op - Do what is right for you

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not going to say that you are too old to start over in a new career but as I am 60 my experience is that 60 does not feel like 50, it feels like 60. I'm planning to retire at 65 or maybe sooner and I couldn't see myself out pounding the pavement looking for jobs at my age. Going to Andrews will probably give you an advantage but it's not easy to pass the CCS and even though we never read it here, even Andrews must have some graduates who struggled to pass those exams and find jobs. Something you need to think about is return on your investment not only in salary compensation but in professional memberships and dues that you will pay for the rest of your working career. Coders are in demand, but in general 60 something's don't get hired, employers generally don't like to teach someone the ropes only to have them leave in a couple of years. I hate to let an elephant out of the closet but coding is changing just as MT did; I now see TV ads for the matchbook schools and unfortunately outsourcing and automation are a reality. That's my perspective as an older former MT/coding student who works in HIM but not as a coder who has gone through the job interview process. Best wishes and good luck.

You've made some good points, but discussing it furthr - Elephant out of the closet

[ In Reply To ..]
You've made an excellent point that when hiring people to work in an office, the people hiring for most jobs tend to want to hire people who look just like them. If they are 30ish, they want to hire 30ish people. In most medical coding sections, you'll see things trending a little older than in most general offices. That may be because credentials are so highly valued in coding. Since most coding departments hire medical coders with the intention of sending them home to work after orientation, age is not an issue. If you are trying to get a job in a doctor's office, and I don't know why anyone would, because they don't pay, you will have to meet the age bracket set by the age of the office manager. When I hire, I look for maturity, whether that's in a younger or older person. As long as they have that CCS and a pleasant personality, age is not important to me.

Negatives: Show me a group of young candidates and I'll show you some that are not focused on their work. Social media is their life, and they just have to get work out of the way to get back to it. Worst case scenario for an older person is when they keep talking about their age as if that were something I need to know about, which I don't. Just keep it to yourself, get that CCS, and move forward. You're going to be the same age whether or not you learn something new. It's beautiful to see people who continue learning throughout their entire lives. Most people respect that.
Stop stereotyping...... - Grrrrrr
[ In Reply To ..]
Stop stereotyping younger people in order to make yourself feel better.

You sure wouldn't like to be stereotyped as an old biddy with arthritis who is too stubborn to learn anything new. So you don't need to stereotype younger people as unfocused and obsessed with social media.

And to all you 58 is the new 48 people...grow up and accept life. You are 58- quick to criticize the youth but not quick enough to avoid stupid sayings. 58 is 58.

I am 30, that is not the new 20, it is 30.
Hope I'm driving your karma bus. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xxx
Err, not quite ... and just you wait, dearie! - Just you wait! Hahaha!
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, no, improved health, better nutrition, and different lives have insulted in people living longer and staying "younger."

The beliefs we had about how long someone could or should work come from past times. In 1900, life expectancy was only 47.6 for whites and 33.0 years for blacks. In 1929, it had gone up to 58.6 and 46.7. In 1959, it was 70.5 and 65.4. In 1989, it was 75.9 and 68.8. In 2010, it was 78.9 and 75.1.

So, in 1900, you were worn out at 40, or dead. A person's working life was short. In the 50's, it was longer, but that was when people had the idea of retirement at 50 ... because people were worn out by then.

People don't wear out as fast today, especially if they don't smoke, drink excessively, or live hard lives. A lot of you on this list can expect to live into your 90s.

Yes, 60 is the new 40 because life expectancy today gives us more good years.

If you are healthy, there is no reason you should not work a long as you choose.

As for you, Miss 30, you are going to be our age before you realize it. You will be shocked at how fast it happens. You are already considered long in the tooth by men. In ten years, you will be experiencing age discrimination. In twenty, you will be struggling to get and keep jobs, as twits in their 20's and 30's try to shove you out. In thirty, no one will want you, possibly even your own family.

Is that the karma bus? Yes, because you are insensitive today and you are perpetuating ageism and discrimination. You are causing the very things that will affect you in the future. What you sow, you will reap.
YES! Love it...So true, and this is what I was thinking - about this obnoxious poster...
[ In Reply To ..]
High Five to you!

I could not have said it better myself.

58 years is 58 years - Grrrrr
[ In Reply To ..]
Life expectancy is not the issue. The issues are math, and stereotyping younger people in order to feel better about yourselves.

58 years = 58 years period.

Furthermore, I've been married for 8 years so I don't care about how men perceive my 30 years. Once again you have proven that maturity doesn't come with age.
60 is 60, not 40 - Old and tired
[ In Reply To ..]
i am 60, 6-0, I am not 40, and I am not 50. I have never smoked or drank, but menopause does things to a persons body. I'm not worn out but I sure as heck don't want to be working when I'm 80, which is what, the new 60? It's silly way to get people to feel better about getting older. If we follow that logic, 0 is the new 10 and 10 is the new 20. There is no turning back the clock, deal with it.

I'm the OP- Thanks for that...gives me more to - consider. A lot of

[ In Reply To ..]
what you say I have been worried about. I mean, the other poster is right...58 IS 58. Saying it "feels" like the new "48" is fine and well when you are talking about how you look/feel, but the retirement age/age at which employers aren't interested anymore is pretty much the same. I am going to take a little more time to think about what to do. I appreciate ALL opinions and advice here. Thanks so much.

I say go for it!!! Good luck to you! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I had the same fear when I first applied to Andrews. sm - Laurie G.

[ In Reply To ..]
I spoke to Linda about it, and she was very reassuring that I'm not too old. That means you're not too old either, as we're the same age. The course is tough and there have been a few bumps in the road (family health problems, etc.), but I'm more than halfway through the course now. I say, "Go for it!"

CCS - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The CCS exam is given by a testing company, so you can schedule it at your convenience. I've scheduled AHIMA exams for the next weekend, two days later.

The CPC is the one you have to wait for. Local chapters offer it a few times a year, so you may need to wait until the next time.

We have hired coders, even new ones, in their 60s. The average age of coders is higher than you would think. Maturity and stability is valued in coding. There is also a shortage.

What would you be doing if you did not do coding? Keeping your brain active learning and solving problems, in other words, learning coding, is going to keep your brain from deteriorating.

Instead of seeing coding as an expense that might not pay off (that can turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy!), see it as brain training, therapy, a hobby, or even entertainment. It is a lot better than golf, mindless eating, reading romance novels, and sitting around doing nothing. It will give you a goal to work toward.

Coding is better than golf? - Think again

[ In Reply To ..]
Please explain how sitting at a desk is better than being out in the fresh air getting exercise. You've obviously never played.

I think she means as far as working your BRAIN - Golf is nice but it doesnt

[ In Reply To ..]
really work your brain. Golf isn't going to help prevent things like dementia and Alzheimer's. Yes, exercise helps but how much exercise can you get hitting a ball into a hole? No offense.

to CS question - whatzaraze

[ In Reply To ..]
You seem very knowledgeable and non-judgmental like some of the people on here. I am also 58 and about to break out my books and schedule the CPC exam for perhaps June. Am I seeing the price correct as $399 or $299 if you join AHIMA? This is a dumb question I thought I saw somewhere that you can get a second opportunity if you fail the first one for a lesser amount. (really have to scrape this money up lol)

Which exam??? - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
The AAPC CPC exam is 325, one free retake is allowed within a year, and you must be a member to take it. Student membership is 70, regular is 125.

The AHIMA CCS is 399 nonmembers, 299 members, and membership is 175. No free or discounted retakes. There is a list of requirements you must meet to qualify to take it.

If you have not been prepared for the CCS *specifically*, do not attempt it. You WILL fail. It is a very difficult exam.

If you do not have any certifications yet, take the CPC first. That will help you get used to the types of questions on the exams in a low-pressure situation. (Since you get one free retake, there is nothing to worry about.) After you pass that one, and after inpatient training, take the CCS.

thanks for info - whatszraze
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for taking the time to write all that .. Def asking about the CPC. Thought I had seen somewhere about the retake...jobs I have seen are asking for CPC so that's what I will try for.

Wow that last part you talk about really strikes a cord - with me (I am the OP)

[ In Reply To ..]
That is something to think about, especially since my mom has early dementia. I think dementia and Alzheimer's are just about the worst thing that can happen to someone, having seem what it did to my mom. She took an early retirement, sat around doing nothing, and was diagnosed at only 66 with dementia. She now is dependent on me for EVERYTHING. Thanks for pointing that out...really makes me think.....

Too old? - ANONMTTOCODER

[ In Reply To ..]
You are NOT TOO OLD. I turned 59 last November and I started coding school this past March. I figure the same time line for "starting my career". 60 is the new 40 !!! Go for it. And, by the way, yes, Andrews is the way to go. Your MT experience will help you greatly with terminology and anatomy, etc. Good luck to you and DO IT!!!

Coding is one place age does not - seem to matter

[ In Reply To ..]
If you know how to code, they want you. If you need to work for a while longer, why not? Do you want to learn something new, I mean are you mentally prepared to do the work? It is not a piece of cake, so you have to be ready. If you learn it, get your credential(s), people will hire you. Then later, near retirement, if you just want to cut down on hours, you will have a good way to make excellent extra money working part time.

What about training for coding - at 64.

[ In Reply To ..]
Money for school and tests is not a problem. I simply want to stay in the workforce as along as I can, and for sure staying an MT is NOT the way to go. PS, I do have a BS in math and an MS in Industrial Engineering, so school is not a new idea to me.

Go for it! - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
You should have no difficulty whatsoever. Coding is not "math-y," but you should have great categorizing ability, be able to juggle lots of info, rules, and conditions, and be able to soak stuff up like a sponge. I would bet that you can compete a program like Andrews in 6 to 9 months, or the AAPC CPC course in half the time.

You can - Tgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
Hey, I think you can do this. I just turned 53. I have been an MT for about 13 years really want to do something else interesting too that is related to the field. I'm doing Career Step's program which is a great, so go for it!

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Know If The Andrews Coding Program...sm
Dec 09, 2010

offers training of the 3M encoding software?  I read that Career Step does and when I look at most coding jobs, they require training and experience using 3M encoding software.  Thanks for your help! ...

CPC/CCS Coding Program Other Than Andrews
Sep 03, 2013

Does anyone know of a (non-degree) program other than Andrews that upon completion will allow you to be eligible to sit for the CCS and CPC exam. I have researched the Andrews program and think it sounds great and comes with awesome recommendations from this board. I just want to explore any other options available before I take the plunge. Not necessarily needing a degree, already have Masters in Health Administration. Thanks so much. ...

Anyone Schooling At Andrews? How Difficult Is The Coding Program?
May 13, 2010

I would LOVe to hear from anyone in the ANdrews School for medical coding!!  ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Does Anyone Know When Andrews Will Begin Their ICD-10 Program?
Jul 12, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has heard the date when Andrews will begin their ICD-10 program. I also have been told that is critically important to know both ICD-9 and ICD-10. Do you agree, and why? ...

Billing Program Through Andrews
Jan 29, 2015

Has anyone taken just the billing program through Andrews?   I know that coders make a lot more money, but I honestly am not that interested in spending that much time and money and was considering just the billing program through Andrews.  Does anyone have any opinions on the billing program? ...

Andrews Coding
Mar 21, 2015

I was wondering if anyone has taken the Andrews coding program and if so did you pass the exams? Did you land a job immediately after completing the course? How difficult are the exams and how long did it take to complete the course? I was an MT for years but now I am looking for other options as the MT field has changed way too much and is no longer financially doable for me. ...

Best Coding Course Besides Andrews?
Apr 09, 2015

Hello all.  I am not a troll and am truly wondering if there is a coding course that is more economic than Andrews but still TEACHES you to code?  I am an MT but have no experience with coding.  Please help!  Thanks so much.   ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

Andrews School Of Coding A
Dec 19, 2010

Andrews School of Medical Coding and Transcription........... Just wanted to say a few words about Andrews School of Coding. 3 years ago I finished an AHIMA accredited program for Health Information, going through the program I realized there were some gaps that I needed to fill in on the coding end. I love AHIMA and being part of the organizaiton, and look forward to working in the field for a long time.  What I am finding with Andrews is that they offer an indepth, hands on training spe ...

Coding Schools - Andrews
Jul 14, 2011

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Andrews. I went through their medical transcription training course and did very well with my job search. Based on my training at Andrews, I have not had a problem with employment tests, passing the RMT and CMT, etc., and with the coding program, as long as I study hard  and do the assignments, I believe that I will have the same experience. Based on the excellent training I received at Andrews, I am beginning to go through the coding course. The ...

Cost Of Andrews Coding Course?
Jun 30, 2013

Can anyone tell me the cost of the coding course at Andrews? Do you still get a discount if you completed the medical transcription course? ...

Andrews For Coding - Have To Be A Citizen?
Jul 26, 2013

I am interested in The Andrews School for medical coding, but I see on their website that you have to be a citizen.  I am a resident alien and I am wondering why you are required to be a citizen in order to attend the school.  Thanks in advance. ...

What's The Best Coding School Outside Of Andrews?
Aug 03, 2013

I was wondering what the best coding school is, other than Andrews? ...

Andrews Coding Students
Dec 15, 2013

How long did it take you to finish the coding course? Thanks. ...

Can Andrews' Coding Course Be Completed In Less Than 12 Months?
Jan 24, 2011

I've been looking at both Andrews and Career Step for online coding classes.  One thing that I've noticed (other than the cost differences) is that the Career Step course can be completed in as little as 4 months.  It seems the Andrews course takes a minimum of 12 months.  Is it possible to complete it in less time or is that frowned upon?  If I had the extra money and time, I would probably be leaning toward Andrews (particularly since I already completed thei ...

Andrews Coding/CMT CECs Question
May 06, 2012

I just spent a few hours getting some CECs for my CMT and it got me thinking. Does anyone know if the coding program at Andrews could be used for my CMT CECs? I apologize if this has been discussed in the past. I tried to search the archives but came up with nothing. Thank you for any input! ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Any Andrews Coding Graduates Getting Jobs?
Oct 07, 2012

Has anyone graduating from the Andrews coding course gotten jobs. I know how hard it is to get a job without prior experience. I am 61 and wondering if it is worth the expense and effort to take the couse. I have fifteen years of MT experience and also have worked in a hospital for years before that. Thanks. ...

Questions For Andrews Coding Graduates (sm)
Jan 08, 2013

I have been doing research on the various coding programs out there and before I spend a large amount of money on training, I want to ask former Andrews coding students a couple of questions. 1. Did you pass the certification exam(s) and, if so, did you feel like the schooling that you received prepared you for the exam? 2. Are you currently working as a coder and, if not, how long have you been actively looking for a job and have you been able to get job interviews. I realize that getting ...

Andrews Coding: Time To Complete?
Jun 30, 2013

One thing I haven't seen posted re: Andrews is a reasonable expectation of a timeframe for an experienced MT to complete their program.  What has been everybody's experience thus far? I realize we all have different home situations and some are pulled in more directions than others.  I work full-time.  Kids are no longer underfoot.  Not caring for parents as they are deceased already.  No yard to tend. I've found myself cornered into an untenab ...

A Question About The Andrews Coding Classes.
Apr 14, 2015

If you've been an MT for 20 years, will they let you skip or test out of some of the classes that pertain to things we already know, or do you have to take them all? ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

Can Someone Compare Andrews To AHIMA Basic Coding Course?
Feb 07, 2013

they call this a 12-course basics.  it says 2000, plus you need an additional 290 +225 for the required anatomy and physiology course, which you must at least get a C before you can proceed with the coding.  they also suggest 35 a year for becoming a member.  books are also a lot extra, looks like.   says 4 clusters of 15-week courses, that is 60 weeks, yes?   anyone have experience with this course?  call me gun-shy, but this is the organization who threw MT unde ...

Is It Possible To Pass The CCS Exam Upon Completion Of The Andrews Coding Course?
Nov 21, 2013

From what I've read, the CCS exam sounds difficult and I'm curious if any Andrews grads passed the exam as soon as they were finished with the course. I guess really what I'm wondering is if the Andrews course prepares you enough to pass the CCS or is the course more geared toward the CPC. I'm in the research phase right now, deciding which coding course is the best one for me. I'm also still trying to understand the differences between all of the coding credentials, bu ...

Andrews Coding Grads/students: Questions
Feb 03, 2015

Okay, I wrote the previous post, but I have a few more questions. Any help is appreciated. How much does the coding program cost? How long did it take you to complete, full-time or part-time? Did you feel job-ready when you finished the course? Are there any hidden fees for exams, etc.? If you went the Andrews for MT as well, how would you compare the intensity of the two courses?   I did attend Andrews for medical transcription 8 years ago, and I loved the program then. That is why ...

Any Andrews Coding Graduates That Were Able To Find Work After Completing Course?? Sm
Mar 25, 2013

Hi Anybody on here graduated from Andrews coding course and able to find work? I am just really scared I am going to do all of this and not find a job anywhere?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated  Thanks ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

I Am Almost Done With My Coding Program But
Sep 22, 2011

now I don't know if I want to be a coder :(.  I planned on taking the CPC and then after a few years taking the CCS.  Before I started my program, I was naive and didn't realize how difficult and complex coding is.  I don't know that I can sit in front of a computer for 8 hours and code all day long.  It's almost too much like MTing (desk work, I mean).  Plus, I am not confident in my ability to even pass the CPC.  I am not very satisfied with th ...