A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

about degrees in HIT and HIM - degrees

Posted: Jul 24, 2013

Do you have to have an associates degree in HIT to get a bachelor's degree in HIM? I was looking at some of the bachelor's degree in HIM programs, and some of them require this.

not required -- can do RHIT (Assoc) or RHIA (Bachelor) - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
AT least AHIMA does not require it -- if school requires it that's kind of odd. You can do either or. If you have an RHIT (requires associate degree), you have to go on and get the bachelor's degree to sit for the RHIA. But the way AHDI has that you have to get the RMT before the CMT, AHIMA has not done that.

thank you nm - degrees

[ In Reply To ..]
no message

Some do require this - Explanation

[ In Reply To ..]
Some schools that offer only the 3rd and 4th years will require that you have already completed the first 2 years elsewhere.

You might think that you could transfer in with an associate's in anything, but you would be missing the courses taught in 2-year HIT programs. You would not be ready to do the 3rd and 4th years.

In any major, the 1st year courses are intro, the 2nd are a little higher, etc. Sometimes people think that the HIT program courses are "the same" as those in an HIA program. They aren't. They don't go as far or cover the material in as much depth.

It is exactly the same as a chemistry major. At the community college level, you take the lower level courses. You must have had those in order to take the 3rd and 4th year courses at university.

Some schools actually require that you have passed the RHIT exam. That is their way of assuring themselves that you learned enough to have a chance of success at the upper-level work. They also get graded on their RHIA pass rates and the jobs their students get. If someone can't pass the RHIT, that suggests that they will have even more trouble with the RHIA and that will prevent them from working. Not to mention their ability to pay back student loans. Schools don't want that held against them.

Thanks sm - degrees

[ In Reply To ..]
You've helped me make a decision. I will get an associates degree in HIT, then get a bachelors in RHIA. I won't be able to start until next semester though.

Luckily, I've picked a school that will let you start any semester, since a lot of them seem to only let you start in the fall and follow a pre-determined schedule. In the meantime, I'm enrolled in a local community college and will be getting a few basic classes out of the way this semester.

Similar Messages:

Wrist Range Of Motion 60/65 Degrees, Extension 60/60 Degrees, * Longation* 60/60 Degrees -sm
Oct 14, 2011

radiation 25 or 20 degrees.  Thanks ...

On EKG, He Gives Axis Measurement In Degrees, Then
Aug 04, 2010

says, "eighteen slash ten slash three four," and I am not sure how to transcribe the last part.  I am a long-time transcriptionist but have never heard the measurements given that way, so any help from you cardiology gurus would be much appreciated.  Thanks. ...

What Jobs/degrees Are You All Heading For?
Oct 24, 2010

A friend suggested transcribing for the deaf, requires passing a 180-200 wpm test from conversation.  Anyone done/doing this?  It is a great consolation to get all of your support.  MT Stars is wonderful to give us this opportunity.  MQ never was able to maintain a professional forum. ...

Back Extension And Side Bending Degrees Help
Apr 05, 2012

I am pretty new and trying to figure out what this doctor might be saying.  He is doing range of motion tests on a patient.  He says "Back extension (s/l 50 or 15) degrees."  Then he says "side bending (s/l 50 or 15) degrees."  The patient has severe neck pain.  I am not sure which value the doctor is saying.  Any suggestions? ...

To All MTs Who Claim To Make More Money Than Woman With BS Degrees.....
Jun 13, 2012

Those of you who claim to make TONS OF MONEY TYPING....  You are not straight typing MTs under regular circumstances IF I believe you...and I don't.   You probably work 7 days a week, all hours of the day like most MTs.  You DO NOT work a regular 8-hour day, 5 days a week and make that much money.  If that were true...there would be much more competition.  The only perk is being at home.  Period...End of story.  Stop trying to sell me your ocean front pro ...

"Active Range Of Motion Of The Left Knee Is Approximately 3rd To 100 Degrees"
Apr 07, 2010

"Active range of motion of the left knee is approximately 3rd to 100 degrees." Is "3rd to 100 degree" the correct way to transcribe it? Thanks! ...

Format "minus Two To Three Degrees Of Extension"
Jul 22, 2010

Hi,  I just had this dictated: "...minus two to three degrees of extension..." My account is strict BOS 3.  I'm not sure how do transcribe it. -2 to 3 degrees -2 to -3 degrees Help?  Thanks! ...