A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Where are our MModal peeps? - How did your first day go?

Posted: Apr 01, 2014

We want to hear all about it!

hard. - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
the course work and learning is not hard. the 95% on the final next week is what i'm freaking out about. you have to take 2 quizzes every day and make a 95%, taking it as many times as you want. I had the book and all the resources right there and still had to look at the wrong answers and change them to get my 95%. I hope we get some serious study guides for the final or I don't think many people will be going on to the rest of the course.

Like I said it's not the course work. it's the 95% pass mark. I am hoping today I won't feel so defeated now that I know kind of what to expect.

Wow. - Good luck to you

[ In Reply To ..]
What are you learning? I'm a student, and I think coding is hard to learn. Complicated. Lots of rules.

How are you learning? - Is it all online?

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you have a contact person you can ask questions, and are you understanding why you miss a question? I have to ask why until I understand why my code is wrong and the correct code is the correct one.

like she said below its not even the coding part yet - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
you read a chapter and you can be quizzed on anything in the entire chapter. we are doing pretty much a chapter a day and that's why the final will be so over whelming. 9 chapters and who knows what will be on the final. I'm not complaining by any means i'm just bracing myself for the worst.

WOO HOO!! i made 100% first try on chapter 2!!! - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
feeling better already :)

What is the point though in taking the quiz over and - over until you reach the score needed?

[ In Reply To ..]
Is that really productive? No criticizing, just curious.

I dont know about you but I learn from - my mistakes

[ In Reply To ..]
just me

Some people learn by trial and error. Maybe that's the - point in getting to take it more than once.

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to a new PCP this morning and I could swear - he probably took the quiz over and over too. Oh b
[ In Reply To ..]
x

How bizzare, in what world do you get to take - a test over and over again til you get it right?

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

They are just daily practice quizzes and textbook questions. - Not the case w/the biweekly exams.

[ In Reply To ..]
I can see the value of them as a) to fix some of the material into your head (like the endless acronyms) and also b) to force you to keep up with the reading, because they are due every day.

The exams are not handled the same way.
In college when I had math lab and computer lab - we got to retake till we passed SM
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not an uncommon thing. And it's not like they can retake the final till they pass.

yes, you go back - Coder too

[ In Reply To ..]
over what you did and trace your steps. You see where you went wrong and redo. Getting them ready for coding cases.

Like it said on the tin, "intense"! - I mean, a LOT of work.

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't believe how much textbook reading and powerpoint material we are expected to get through in 4 hours. It is not hard material to learn per se. Yesterday we studied the hx of healthcare and the US healthcare environment... at a VERY high rate of speed. Like I said not hard, but expected to remember kind of, IMHO, silly details - like which Persian physician wrote what book back in the 900s AD - lol!

I think that it is all extremely interesting material but prefer to digest it more slowly and take it all in. But I suppose there isn't time for all that - for we gotta get to the meat of the coding material ASAP!! :p

The history of healthcare? RU serious? - Whats the point of that? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
X

I'm not at all surprised - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I think trying to learn a year's worth of material in 3 months and then expecting you to put it into practice in a 3-month internship is madness. I signed on to one of the best coding schools on the web and EACH module (there are 4 of them) is 3 months long.

It reminds me of some of the "crash courses" that you can take during the 6-week summer semester at college - you learn the same material, but you learn an abbreviated version of everything AND you're expected to learn the entire course in 6 weeks. Yeah, you learn it, but how well?

where on earth do you go where it is a year? - here it is an 8 week course

[ In Reply To ..]
I have friends that have gone through the program here and passed their exams. still couldn't find jobs because they don't have experience.

Andrews School - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's designed as a year-long program but you're able to take longer if you need it or you can finish early but each of the 4 modules of information, assignments and testing is geared to take 3 months. I wouldn't *dream* of speeding through it, muchless doing it in a quarter of the time.
oh sorry my bad today we have two chapters and 4 quizzes - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
*sigh*
Hey East MT do not sigh! - Another trainee.
[ In Reply To ..]
They are not the WHOLE chapters today just large-ish sections!

Aaaaaand... when it all seems too intense, just remember, we are getting PAID to learn this stuff - wooo! Not only 1) do we not have to pay tuition 2) we are being paid 20 hours a week for our learning time, and later... 3) completion bonuses, 4) incentive pay, 5) extra credential pay, 6) potential production/quality bonuses.

I was telling my dad all this, and he could not freaking believe it. He thought I won the lottery. And with that, let the negative commentary ensue.
I agree I do feel like I won the lottery. you are right todays chapters - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
aren't as bad. Just that first one with alllll of the 3 trillion associations and committees and organizations was tough!! I'm actually enjoying chapter 2, learning about the different coding organizations and credentials was fun :)
When something sounds too good to be true, - Mac
[ In Reply To ..]
it usually is. Not trying to be negative here, I just don't understand how the the coding side of MM thinks they are so wonderful and the MT side thinks they stink? Are we talking about the same company?
well im sure the janitors and the administration - at the local hospital have different viewpoints
[ In Reply To ..]
on how the hospital treats them. Just sayin'.
So coders are "admin" and MTs are "janitors"? - Hmmm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
That's the attitude on this board, when we're all on the same sinking ship. - Pride goeth before the fall. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Wow, now that was truly a rude and disrespectful comparison to MTs and coders - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Not to mention laughable. You think coders are equivalent to administrative personnel and MTs equivalent to janitors? Ha. Go ask a hospital administrator what he thinks the difference between the two is. As soon as they can automate coding, which is already in the works, and/or ship it overseas, they can't wait to cut that annoying little expense. I'm pretty sickened by the attitude here when we're all medical records employees struggling to keep a job while the big dogs try to eliminate our entire industry.
Do not be sad, like the Risk Manager picture - On the Power Point slides.
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, though - for me, Risk Manager would be a horrible job.
how can he be sad when he is sitting on that mountain of cash? - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
LOL

The problem is not having no experience - Another view

[ In Reply To ..]
It is that they only took an 8-week course.

not true. Thats what is offered here. - just how it is
[ In Reply To ..]
x
That does not mean it is enough. - It is just all you know about.
[ In Reply To ..]
You aren't limited to what they teach there. The fact that it is all that is available locally is irrelevant--it is still not enough.
Of course it is enough! - It is coding, not brain surgery
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
exactly. all you have to do is take a test to pass - not sure why you would spend a year
[ In Reply To ..]
on learning it. jeez

yeah but do you go to Andrews FOUR HOURS A DAY - 20 hours a week? thats a long time

[ In Reply To ..]
i'm in school full time and my one on campus class meets 3 hours a week. four hours a day is a long time to sit in class and should be plenty of time.

The Andrews School is a web-based program - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
... So I can "attend" as many hours a day as I need to - I'm not confined to sitting in a class to learn the material and this works best for me. The instructors are readily available by phone or email anytime I need extra help and you never move on until you're totally comfortable with the material. I did tons of research on schools before I enrolled and *by far* Andrews had the best student reviews for getting their students ready for certification. Some have even said their prospective employers thought they knew the material so well they couldn't believe they were new graduates.

In terms of getting paid while you're training, that's true of me too, only I'm being paid for a 40-hour week, not 20. I'm still working my regular MME job with MModal ... not at my PTO rate, but at my regular production rate which is much higher.

Andrews is AT MINIMUM - 15 hours a week

[ In Reply To ..]
And while you can go at the pace you need, 15 is at the low end of what you should be putting in. And I support East's right to sigh -- even a good opportunity comes with difficulties. I never heard her say she wasn't happy for the opportunity; just that it was difficult.
Andrews is 15 hr/week for about a year - or 780 hours
[ In Reply To ..]
Because it is a full coding course with A&P, pathophysiology, etc.

M*M's is 20 hr/week x 12 weeks, or 240, plus an internship of 40 x 12 weeks, or 480. That is pretty close at 720, when you consider that passing an A&P test was a prerequisite.
Andrews is AT MINIMUM 15 hours a week - You really cannot compare the two
[ In Reply To ..]
Like you said, Andrews is a full coding course.

4 hours a day? - Are you kidding me

[ In Reply To ..]
This is taking me way more than 4 hours a day. Is it just me or anyone else?

Yesterday was definitely more than 4 hours of material! - Today was a bit better though.

[ In Reply To ..]
There will be definitely unpaid study hours in my future.

I am not sure we are strictly supposed to "study off the clock" but I don't see why not, unless we truly are guinea pigs whose fixed variable condition must = 20 hours of study per week.

yesterday kicked my butt. - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
today was a lot better. I feel more comfortable with what i know. all of those abbreviations were overwhelming.
Oh yeah and there WERE indeed 2 chapters today. - My bad, EMT.
[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure why a range of page numbers was given in our assignment when those were actually the whole chapters - haha. Maybe to calm us down after yesterday? :D
LOL! maybe so! Looking forward to the case study tomorrow - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
can't wait to see what that is all about.

Similar Messages:

Any IMedx Peeps?
Jan 18, 2011

Anyone out there work for iMedx?  I do, and it's a little disorienting having no contact whatsoever with anyone, so I'm just curious :) ...

Would Be Interesting To Know What Pro-LM Peeps Say About
Jun 02, 2013

As mentioned below, isnt that a violation of HIPAA?  At the very least, bad business practive to not correctly identify in the report itself who actually transcribed the report. ...

Question For Transcend Peeps...sm
Dec 13, 2011

I am due to start training on 12/27 in BeyondTxt.  My recruiter said the platform had a built-in spellchecker, but Stedman's was compatible if I felt more comfortable using my own.  Can anyone that works on this platform tell me if the built-in spellchecker is adequate, or should I go ahead and spring for Stedman's.  It is not cheap, so I wanted to get an idea before I went ahead and did it.  Also, any opinions on BeyondTxt?  I am nervous because all I have don ...

Anyone Using MModal
May 19, 2011

and noticing that it is really not doing a good job lately.  I've not usually had problems with it when it comes to regular English-speaking doctors, but this week it has been a mess.  It is either not putting in entire sentences or putting in off the wall stuff that sounds nothing like what is being said.  I've come to expect that with ESL, but certainly not with English as native language.  Weird.  Must be taking some time off for MT week. ...

What Is MModal?
Feb 13, 2012

What is MModal company?  General typist edit company or Medical transcription company? This question is bugging me ever since this ASR took over from us.. LOL to wrap it up..   ...

SS# And MModal
Apr 30, 2012

MModal asks for your SS# on the application process of applying for jobs there!!! Thanks to some of you, I ran ran ran from this place.  When I inquired about how uncomfortable I was with sharing my SS#...I was told to just use any number.  WHAT?!!? Then why have it there!!! Who in their right mind would give their SS# to a company that hasn't even hired them yet.  I agree with the rest of you. RUN SALLY RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ...

MModal, WHY????
May 24, 2012

Why is MModal posting job openings, when so many of use are running out of work or worse falling into the pool--what with the pay cuts, VR being paid half even though it takes nearly as long to edit most reports, and the fact that I only get my "primary" accounts about 30% of the time and the rest of the time I am typing from the pool so that nearly every report that comes up is a new facility or dictator, I have gone from making $16 an hour to minimum wage. I cannot afford this. Why can' ...

Does MModal Pay OT? Nm
Oct 02, 2012

nm ...

Does MModal Pay For
Oct 17, 2012

nm ...

MModal 6 Cpl
Oct 23, 2012

I just saw that MModal has a tier 3 level where VR is 6 cpl.  Thinking is it worth it to move over when you top out at 4 cpl for acute care here. ...

New To Mmodal
Jan 03, 2013

Would someone mind briefly explaining how the QA penalty works for MModal? ...

Does Anyone Like MModal?
Jan 22, 2013

I see so many complaints about MModal. Does anyone actually like them? I'm in the hiring process and they are calling with an offer. I would like to try it out. I work in-house now, but eventually my position will be eliminated due to VR. I do not make that great of pay, and have lots of down time, but still have to sit in the office all day. I know that all companies have their ups and downs. My hospital being Union makes doing anything impossible and makes it easier to keep the "bad ...

What Has Mmodal Done To Me?
Apr 12, 2013

Well, I suppose any transciption job would do the same.  Before this profression, I was a good little girl who would never swear or cuss and even chastised others for doing so, but since becoming an MT (especially with MModal), with all these horrendous dictators and this buggy platform, if you listen from outside my office, you'd think someone locked a surly sailor with Tourettes in with me.  I've called dictators names that would make a construction worker blush.  I al ...

MModal ??
Jun 26, 2013

How long after being hired to get health insurance? I am currently with Nuance, my ex, who provides health insurance for our son just got laid off and lost health insurance. Our son has antiphospholipid syndrome., he is chronically on Coumadin, and he cannot go without health insurance. I cannot afford $735 a month to cover him and myself working at Nuance.  Thanks ...

Mmodal PI:
Sep 05, 2013

cupcakes, candy filled mugs and T-shirts.  They look so happy, smiling.     Mmodal US:  We get NJA, the swamp board, UE (if we are lucky).  We live on edge and with constant worry.   I really am happy for the Filipinos, because I know this probably represents a wonderful opportunity for some of them.  Time for the rest of us to move on.  Whoever's last to leave the building, please turn off the lights.   ...

Ex-MModal
Sep 16, 2013

Left MModal 18 mos. ago and have been on here encouraging everybody that there is life after MQ/MM.  This week my wonderful clinic goes live with EMR.  The trainer won't even recognize transcription.  He is just adamant that the docs will enter everything themselves and when they don't, he is pushing Dragon Medical.  So I guess I was wrong.  I really thought I found a way out, but apparently not.  It was a great year and a half though.  ...

WOW MModal Is The New UPS
Oct 16, 2013

There is one area we do plan to adjust for 2014 which we expect will impact a very small percentage of our employees. If your spouse or domestic partner works and is eligible to receive health benefits in another qualified plan in 2014, you will be subject to a $100 per month surcharge if you elect to include them in the M*Modal healthcare plan.  Keep in mind that this cost applies only to working spouses and domestic partners, not to children or other dependents ...

MMODAL SUX
Feb 11, 2014

I am so sick of Mmodal.  I resigned recently and I keep getting letters to return things that I have never ever owned or received or stuff that I had sent back to them years ago.  The DEPOT apparently is as ignorant as the rest of them. SO glad I found  real job that pays, respects and appreciates their employees.  I have only one PC to return and they sent me five boxes and a bunch of labels and stating that I have in my possession 7 different things.... OMG.. what a joke!!! ...

Mmodal BK
Mar 08, 2014

There's no mention of the bankruptcy on their facebook page. I have an idea. Why don't we all head on over to there and write something. From what I've seen no one either knows about it or have their heads in the sand. I would be tickled to see that. ...

For All Of You Who Want To Sue Mmodal
Apr 06, 2014

can you specify exactly what laws they have broken?  Yes, we are all unhappy here, but I cannot see that they have done anything they cannot do legally. The last judgment against them was for witholding pay.  I think they are too smart to break laws again. What do you expect to gain anyway by suing a company that has filed bankruptcy, which is always a very smart business move to make if you can get away with it. ...

Only At MModal
Apr 08, 2014

Only at MModal would you get an audit report back from March with a score of 99.67 and feel like a total failure.  Also told I must contact QC for a mandatory review.     ...

Does MModal's
Jun 17, 2014

Fluency work with Windows 8 yet? ...

BOO MModal
Dec 15, 2014

I refused to work OT last week, gave them my reasons.  I think we should all let them know how we feel rather than just venting on here!  I know everyone will think this is a waste of time, but JUST DO IT!  Email either Shaw or our new CEO, tell them how we feel.  They cut our PTO, increased our insurance premiums, no rate increases ever yet they expect us to jump through hoops to get the backlog down.  For who???  Certainly doesn't benefit us, but gives them a ...

MModal ASR
Jan 11, 2015

into mushy gibberish today.  Bah! ...

Mmodal MOT
Apr 27, 2015

Just got an email from TSA asking, but not demanding MOT (yet).... Still not doing it. If every MT would agree to not doing MOT/OT, they might get the msg?... ...

MModal - Take This
May 05, 2015

and shove it. It's time to move on to retirement. Sing-A-Long.......... https://youtu.be/EPrSVkTRb24  ...

My New Mmodal
May 14, 2015

Don't get stressed, get fired. Don't get stressed, get fired.   Meaning I'm not going to worry about any of this garbage any more.  Was just given a really bad new account because I'm so special.  I'm going to be so out of here so soon. ...

Does Anyone Else Have The Problems With Mmodal That I Have?
Aug 19, 2010

It took a stupid pill.  It skips at least a fourth of the words, uses commas and back slashes like most people use salt and pepper of course skipping the words where it puts the commas in, puts in stuff that is not even close to what is dictated.  These companies pay for their stuff to be run through this ridiculous program.  Why are the bosses allowing this low quality to come through unless they own part of mmodal.  Does not make sense.   ...

Keystrokes And MModal
Dec 08, 2010

I was just wondering how others feel  about  the "MModal" Keystrokes has been using on some accounts.   ...

Transolutions And MModal?
Jun 08, 2011

I am wondering about the MModal platfrom and how it compares to other SR software.  Is it as good as Editscript?  How many lines, edited and typed, can you average an hour on MModal?  Thanks in advance. ...